What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: What is your Boston Red Sox 2013 Predictions? Will they make the playoffs?

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

I’ll start by saying this team will win the World Series. Now we know that Pedro and Curt aren’t walking out onto the field. So who is taking over as the ace of the rotation? Mr. Jon Lester. Without Beckett, Jon will mature into a top of the rotation pitcher and be a Cy Young candidate. Following close behind will be Clay Buchholz who will have a solid year. Ryan Dempster and Jon Lackey will both pitch around .500 with an ERA under 4.50. But the big surprise is the mediocre season of Felix Doubront. Farrell and Cherington will both be frustrated by his inconsistency and he will be traded by the deadline. His replacement will be Allen Webster.

Meanwhile the bullpen will be solid the entire year with sterling performances by Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Andrew Miller.

With the return of David Ortiz in May the team’s lineup will become more productive on offense.

Then two midseason call-ups will make this offense one of the best in the league. Jackie Bradley Jr. who will be tearing up the International League, becomes a mid-season replacement for Gomes in left field. Meanwhile Xander Bogaerts is called up to replace Stephen Drew.

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Dempster as his starters.

The Sox win the 2013 World Championship.

Congratulations Boston Red Sox for the best record in the AL and home field advantage throughout the postseason!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

2013=20 plus HR Club

Ellsbury

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Saltalamacchia

Projections are opinions. Ellsbury came up just a little short. I did notice Crisp has joined the 2013  20 plus homers club.

Projections are not opinions. They are estimates of future results based on present information.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Yes. I think they will win the division and lead New York by about 13 games.... 

Nice work Burrito!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

I’ll start by saying this team will win the World Series. Now we know that Pedro and Curt aren’t walking out onto the field. So who is taking over as the ace of the rotation? Mr. Jon Lester. Without Beckett, Jon will mature into a top of the rotation pitcher and be a Cy Young candidate. Following close behind will be Clay Buchholz who will have a solid year. Ryan Dempster and Jon Lackey will both pitch around .500 with an ERA under 4.50. But the big surprise is the mediocre season of Felix Doubront. Farrell and Cherington will both be frustrated by his inconsistency and he will be traded by the deadline. His replacement will be Allen Webster.

Meanwhile the bullpen will be solid the entire year with sterling performances by Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Andrew Miller.

With the return of David Ortiz in May the team’s lineup will become more productive on offense.

Then two midseason call-ups will make this offense one of the best in the league. Jackie Bradley Jr. who will be tearing up the International League, becomes a mid-season replacement for Gomes in left field. Meanwhile Xander Bogaerts is called up to replace Stephen Drew.

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Demster as his starters.

To say anything WILL happen in baseball is clueless. You say this every year, and after an 81-109 stretch, have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. You also had the same thread a short while ago. Give it a rest.

[/QUOTE]

Any change of tune Stephen?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm not optimistic this year.

The Sox will be struggling to maintain 3rd place at the trade deadline.  Ellsbury will go to a contender for a moderate haul of prospects. By the end of the season the Sox will be fighting it out for the basement slot...with the Yankees. The up side is that our AAA prospects will get a lot of playing time and really be prepared for 2014.

By the end of the season the Sox will be fighting it out for the basement slot...with the Yankees.

yup a 1 game sox vs yanks PO game

4 last place sounds about right

thing is

no one in the east looks all that

so that leaves everyone with a decent chance

if a few players step up

[/QUOTE]

How about you Zac? Need new music?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Demster as his starters.

Lester is now pitching like a number 1. Beckett is gone; bad influence. Farrell is now manager. Lester respects him. Buchholz is pitching much better. I stlill think Webster will be a big contributor later this season. The bullpen looks outstanding. Bard looks like he is going to return to his former self. JB whether he starts on April 1 or later in the season will help this team. I still maintain that this team will win the World Series.

Same as last year

[/QUOTE]

Did the Sox win the East last year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

2013=20 plus HR Club

Ellsbury

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Saltalamacchia

Projections are opinions. Ellsbury came up just a little short. I did notice Crisp has joined the 2013  20 plus homers club.

Crisp is also hitting .250 to Ellsbury's .300 oh brilliant one. Ellsbury is also leading the Majors in SB oh King of Prognosticators.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

89 wins was below my 91 wins projection and playoff bubble team that won't go far in the playoffs. Joe's one of the smartest posters on here, really knows his stuff. The 89 wins was really close, Joe. Nice job.

Hey where are your predictions???

Oh yeah they were deleted....whatnot just say you predicted 97-98 wins?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

RS should be prohibitive favorites to win the whole thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

That was very entetaining to look back at that thread--congrats to all that posted ---

Hopefully they have 11 more wins in them after today.

Good luck  Sox...do your best.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

89 wins was below my 91 wins projection and playoff bubble team that won't go far in the playoffs. Joe's one of the smartest posters on here, really knows his stuff. The 89 wins was really close, Joe. Nice job.

[/QUOTE]

he stated they will not make the playoffs...pretty cut and dry.

posted at 3/14/2013 2:22 PM EDT

• softlaw2
    • First: 11/7/2008
    • Last: 9/12/2013

No

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• softlaw2

No

[/QUOTE]

It's also pretty clear from his own words that he NEVER SAID they WOULD win between 89 & 91 games. 

He said, "given their bloated payroll, the Red Sox SHOULD WIN between 89 - 91."  "BUT," he continued, "BC has grossly over-spent on washed up losers, & therefore will not come near what their payroll should demand!"

It's really quite enjoyable watching a guy so obsessed with being proven "right" on at least one score, flail away, grasping desperately at a manifestly obvious lie to justify being "proven" right.

LOL!

I'm so happy Softy made it back at the end of this incredible season so we could all watch him perform his amazing feats of self-delusional gymnastics.  One has to give him credit for being such a strong believer in his own special world.  & Stiffy thinks Obama is the Emperor with no cloths?  Master of claiming greatness in the face of abject failure?  Stiffy makes taking credit for success in the midst of failure into an art form, & makes the president look like a Piker on that score :)  The president might consider using Stiffy's metric for success, as he could easily claim that the economy is soaring, the debt has decreased by a record 7..5 Trillion, and a record 45 million Americans have been pulled out of poverty due to his economic policies.  Don't forget the rest of the world respecting the U.S. unanimously, leading to peace and tranquility throughout the world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.   That's right Stiff One.  It was me who gave the X + (X + 20) = 162, with the Red Sox being the

(X + 20), or 91 wins, all the way back in ST.  You of course mocked me.  I only wish I could remember the original thread on which I made this prediction.  I did start my own in May, but had put it forth long before that.

Wow!   Was I ever wrong!!!!!   I sure didn't see this AMAZING SEASON coming!  Unbelievable  :)   I've never been so happy to be wrong!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• softlaw2

No

[/QUOTE]

It's also pretty clear from his own words that he NEVER SAID they WOULD win between 89 & 91 games. 

He said, "given their bloated payroll, the Red Sox SHOULD WIN between 89 - 91."  "BUT," he continued, "BC has grossly over-spent on washed up losers, & therefore will not come near what their payroll should demand!"

It's really quite enjoyable watching a guy so obsessed with being proven "right" on at least one score, flail away, grasping desperately at a manifestly obvious lie to justify being "proven" right.

LOL!

I'm so happy Softy made it back at the end of this incredible season so we could all watch him perform his amazing feats of self-delusional gymnastics.  One has to give him credit for being such a strong believer in his own special world.  & Stiffy thinks Obama is the Emperor with no cloths?  Master of claiming greatness in the face of abject failure?  Stiffy makes taking credit for success in the midst of failure into an art form, & makes the president look like a Piker on that score :)  The president might consider using Stiffy's metric for success, as he could easily claim that the economy is soaring, the debt has decreased by a record 7..5 Trillion, and a record 45 million Americans have been pulled out of poverty due to his economic policies.  Don't forget the rest of the world respecting the U.S. unanimously, leading to peace and tranquility throughout the world.

[/QUOTE]

I do remember him saying 88-91 wins, not sure when it was said though. Before the season he didnt think they would make the playoffs at all. He changed that to a bubble playoff team. I think a lot of posters here didnt think they were a playoff team and changed their minds sometime during the season, so in that regard softy wasnt any different than a lot of people here.

I think what gets to most people here is he doesnt come right out and say he was wrong. I think its kinda funny in that regard how he gets so many people here riled up because of that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• softlaw2

No

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

[/QUOTE]

I do remember him saying 88-91 wins, not sure when it was said though. Before the season he didnt think they would make the playoffs at all. He changed that to a bubble playoff team. I think a lot of posters here didnt think they were a playoff team and changed their minds sometime during the season, so in that regard softy wasnt any different than a lot of people here.

I think what gets to most people here is he doesnt come right out and say he was wrong. I think its kinda funny in that regard how he gets so many people here riled up because of that.

[/QUOTE]

Again......   I recall him saying this also!  However.....  I also recall quite clearly how he framed it when he said it.

He never said the WOULD win 89 - 91 games.  He said they SHOULD, but won't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• softlaw2

No

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again......   I recall him saying this also!  However.....  I also recall quite clearly how he framed it when he said it.

He never said the WOULD win 89 - 91 games.  He said they SHOULD, but won't.

[/QUOTE]

I agree he was dead wrong on a lot of the acquisitions over last winter. He was right in saying they should win 88-91. Not because of the payroll, but the players themselves.

We all realize now that the plan was offer more money for less years for the players they wanted and saw as a good fit here. Ben was dead on in picking the players for this team. They knew they were overpaying a bit, but they have still been about 25M under the LTT (Luxury Tax Threashold) this year.

I saw 90 wins at the most if everything went right, which it did. They were better than what I thought they would be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

We're still ignoring the "but won't," qualifier in his prediction. 

Sorry, but any way you slice it, Stiffy was dead wrong.  He simply wants to re-spin his one comment, & claim a correct "prediction."  It's not a serious prediction if you qualify it by saying it won't happen because BC blew his wad on a bunch of "washed up losers."  In fact, this "prediction" was nothing more than another in a long string of straw man arguments the stiff one is fond of setting up to knock down.

The correct take is that he set up the straw man argument, knocked it down (which nobody seems to realize), then proceeded to be proven wrong 10 ways to Sunday.  Now he's convincing many he seriously predicted the 89 - 91.  Wrong!

Fool me once......  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Sorry to continue beating a dead horse, but I just love watching Stiffy perform these incredible feats of self-delusional gymnastics.  It's too much fun to watch!!!!   :)

Not picking on you 777, as you had a good pre-season take on the subject.  Just stickin it to the man (boy in this case), Stiffy.  :)

Have you ever known a single person as obsessed with claiming to be right, when they were manifestly wrong about EVERYTHING???   You gotta love this!  It's a shrink's dream to watch play out!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

John Farrell goes into the playoffs with Lester/Buchholz/ Webster and Dempster as his starters.

Red Sox magic number is 9.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Red Sox magic number is 8.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox magic number is 7.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Red Sox magic number is 6.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Red Sox magic number is 5.