What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?

Boston Globe:
    Boston's sports teams have had their share of success stories with first-year players or players who finally got their shot, from rookies of the year like Larry Bird and Fred Lynn to Pro Bowlers like Devin McCourty, and even backups who had to wait for their turn.

For many of them, there was that moment when they announced their presence with a dazzling game, a brilliant play or a coming of age party. The Bruins' Tyler Seguin had his in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals vs. the Lightning.
    A.

Jacoby Ellsbury

Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury was the September spark the Red Sox needed in 2007 to secure their five-game lead over the Yankees in the AL East. He peaked at a .452 batting average with his 3-for-3 game on Sept. 4, to propel the Red Sox to a 5-3 win over the Blue Jays. Ellsbury hit .361 in that final month, drove in 17 runs and stole eight bases. He helped the Red Sox clinch their second title of the decade with his 4-for-5, two-RBI performance against the Rockies in Game 3 of the World Series.
    B.

Dustin Pedroia

After a short stint with the Red Sox in 2006, Dustin Pedroia became the starting second baseman in place of Mark Loretta. Pedroia started the 2007 season hitting ninth, but manager Terry Francona shifted him to the top of the order after he went 3-for-4 against the Yankees on June 1, 2007. He made Francona look good the next day when he added three more hits in an 11-6 win over the Yankees. Pedroia went on to win the Rookie of the Year and helped the Red Sox win the World Series.
    C.

Nomar Garciaparra

With two on and trailing the Mariners by two in the ninth inning on April 5, 1997, Red Sox rookie shortstop Nomar Garciaparra crushed a game-winning, opposite-field home run. Garciaparra had five three-hit games and five home runs in his first month to join a group of star shortstops in the American League. Garciaparra was an All-Star, Silver Slugger, Rookie of the Year, and finished eighth in MVP voting.
    D.

Carlton Fisk

Catcher Carlton Fisk was a September call-up for the Red Sox in 1971. On Sept. 17, Fisk capped a five-run, sixth-inning rally with a home run to beat the Washington Senators, 10-7. Fisk was an All-Star, Gold Glove winner, Rookie of the year and finished fourth in MVP voting. He's famous for the 12th-inning home run that he "waved" fair in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series at Fenway Park.
    E.

Fred Lynn

In his rookie season in 1975, outfielder Fred Lynn got off to a scorching start, hitting .429 after 10 games. But his defining moment came on June 18, when he drove in 10 runs and slugged three homers. In the famous 1975 Would Series Game 6, Lynn drilled a three-run homer off Gary Nolan in the first inning. He was named Rookie of the Year and voted Most Valuable Player and was the first player to win both awards in the same season.
    F.

Tony Conigliaro

Born in Revere, Mass., and a St. Mary's High School product, Red Sox fans knew Tony Conigliaro as a hometown hero. The first time he stepped to the plate at Fenway Park -- his sixth career at-bat -- Conigliaro popped a solo homer off Joe Horlen. After recovering from arm and toe injuries in August, he hit two home runs against the Kansas City Athletics on Sept. 16. As a 19-year-old, he hit 24 home runs in his rookie season (1964).
    G.
    Jim Rice
    He was promoted in the Red Sox organization to be a full-time player in 1975, and finished in second place for the American League's Rookie of the Year honors, and third in the Most Valuable Player voting, after he finished the season with 174 base hits, 102 runs batted in, a .309 batting average and 22 home run; Lynn won both awards. The Red Sox won the AL's East Division, but Rice did not play in either the League Championship Series or World Series because of a wrist injury sustained during the last week of the regular season when he was hit by a pitch. A disappointed Rice appeared during the postseason player introductions, in uniform and without the cast on his wrist which he had removed the night before, informing the team that he was fit to play.
    Red Sox management, however, persuaded him that healing would be in the best future interest of both Rice and the team. The Red Sox went on to lose the World Series, 4 games to 3, to the Cincinnati Reds of the National League (NL).
    H.
    Ellis Burks
    Burks made his debut in the 1987 season as a regular center fielder at age 22, becoming the third player in the Red Sox history to hit 20 home runs and steal
    20 bases in one season. He was selected to both the Baseball Digest and Topps "All-Rookie" teams. Defensively, Burks showed excellent range, a sure glove and a strong arm.
    I.
    Walt Dropo
    In 1950, Dropo lead the league in RBIs (144) and total bases (326), while batting .322 and hitting 34 home runs, (second only to Al Rosen 37). In addition, his .583 slugging percentage and 70 extra bases were second only to the .585 - 75 of Joe DiMaggio, and his .961 OPS finished third in the league, after (Larry Doby .986 and DiMaggio .979). Dropo finished sixth in American League Most Valuable Player award, and earned AL Rookie of the Year honors, ahead of Whitey Ford. His efforts that season led to his only All-Star appearance.
    J.
    Don Schwall

In 1961, Schwall posted a 15-7 record with 91 strikeouts and a 3.22 earned run average, for a Boston team that finished 33 games out of first place and ten games under .500. He won his first six decisions, extended the dazzling first-year stats to 13-2, and won Rookie of the Year honors, beating out Hall of Fame-bound teammate Carl Yastrzemski. At Fenway Park, on July 31, he pitched three innings in the first All-Star Game tie in major league baseball history (1-1), occurred when the game was stopped in the 9th inning due to rain.
    K.
    Ted Williams

Williams came to spring training three days late in 1939, thanks to Williams driving from California to Florida and respiratory problems, the latter of which would plague Williams for the rest of his career. In the winter, the Red Sox traded right fielder Ben Chapman to the Cleveland Indians to make room for Williams on the roster, with Williams inheriting Chapman's number 9 on his uniform opposed to Williams' number 5 in the previous spring training, even though Chapman had hit .340 in the previous season, which led Boston Globe sports journalist Gerry Moore to quip, "Not since Joe DiMaggio broke in with the Yankees by 'five for five' down in St. Petersberg in 1936 has any baseball rookie received the nationwide publicity that has been accorded this spring to Theodore Francis [sic] Williams". Williams made his major league debut against the New York Yankees on April 20  going 1-for-4 against Yankee pitcher Red Ruffing.  In his first series at Fenway Park, Williams hit a double, a home run, and a triple, the first two against Cotton Pippen, who gave Williams his first strikeout as a professional while Williams was in San Diego. By July, Williams was hitting .280, but leading the league in RBIs. Johnny Orlando, now Williams' friend, then gave Williams a quick pep talk, telling Williams he would hit .335 with 35 home runs and would drive in 150 runs. Williams said he would buy Orlando a Cadillac if this all came true. Williams ended up hitting .327 with 31 home runs and 145 RBIs, leading the league in the latter category, the first rookie to lead the league in runs batted in. and finishing 4th in MVP voting. Even though there was not a Rookie of the Year award yet in 1939, Babe Ruth declared him to be the rookie of the year, to which Williams later said was "good enough for me".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

Re: What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?

if i'm only allowed to pick one, i'm going with TONY C.
    could have been the greatest right-handed hitter in SOX history.
    TRAGIC doesn't even scratch the surface when reflecting on TONY'S too brief career and life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In my years of watching the Sox, it has to be Fred Lynn. Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same year! Nobody had done that before, and only Ichiro has done it since.
    Can't help wondering why Jim Rice isn't a choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?:
    In my years of watching the Sox, it has to be Fred Lynn. Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same year! Nobody had done that before, and only Ichiro has done it since. Can't help wondering why Jim Rice isn't a choice.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Really, only one of the Gold dust Twins to choose from? That ain't right.
    I'd go with Lynn too. '75 was a fun year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

There isn't a single player of color on that list. My favorite "Red Sox breakthrough" is David Ortiz. Not surprising to see Bellsbury's name. He's been a promoted overhyped project since day one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

There isn't a single player of color on that list. My favorite "Red Sox breakthrough" is David Ortiz. Not surprising to see Bellsbury's name. He's been a promoted overhyped project since day one.
    Posted by majorleague

Tacoby doesn't count on your list of 'player of color'?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

I added Jim Rice to the Globe's list of Red Sox rookies. Since this is a Red Sox forum I didn't include the Globe's list of Patriots,Celtics and Bruins rookies:

Tyler Seguin

Devin McCourty

Curtis Martin

Mike Haynes

Drew Bledsoe

Matt Cassel

Tom Brady

Dee Brown

Larry Bird

Bobby Orr

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Are there two token Dee Browns?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

My vote would have to be for tracy stallard.

On October 1, 1961, New York Yankees outfielder Roger Maris hit his 61st home run of the season off tracy stallard, breaking Babe Ruth's single season record of 60.[5]

The contest between the red flops and the Yankees was the final game of the season with  stallard , then 2-6, facing off against Yankees right-hander Bill Stafford (12-9). In the first duel between Maris and stallard in the first inning, stallard threw a changeup to Maris that ended up being a soft fly to left field. In the fourth inning, stallard fell behind 2-0 to Maris. Up to that point, stallard had said that he was probably having the best game he had ever pitched. stallard threw a fastball, and Maris hit it over the wall for his 61st home run.[4] It was Maris's only hit off stallard in seven lifetime at bats.

stallard felt no shame over the ordeal, saying, "I'm glad he did it off me. Otherwise, I would never have been thought of again. That was about all I did, and I've had a good time with it." There has been speculation that stallard grooved the pitch in an attempt to help Maris hit the home run, of which he has denied these claims. stallard struck out five and gave up five hits and just the one earned run in seven innings on the outing, but the red flops failed to score in a 1-0 loss, dropping him to a final record of 2-7 for the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

ML: "There isn't a single player of color on that list" ... really? Jim Rice would like a word with you.  Ortiz did have a break through year, and what a year it was, but he wasn't a rookie.  While your constant drone on Ellsbury is getting really, really tiresome, he doesn't belong on that list and this will likely be clearer with more historical perspective.  I think he's a very good player and I'm happy to have him on this team but I don't think he is HOF caliber ... but I hope he proves me wrong.

Pedroia is one of my favorites. In part because he was so bad at the beginning of the season and it was a pleasure to see management stick with him until he proved everyone wrong.  Also, in part because his story is still fresh in my mind.  Sadly, I am not old enough to remember the '75 season.  What about Boggs?  Wasn't he a rookie call up ... I seem to recall Carney Lansford getting injured (concussion?) and Boggs basically stole his spot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

i suppose BOGGS should be on the list; but if there was or is a more boring .300+ hitter in baseball, i don't know who the heck it could be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

The author added Rice to the list. I appreciate that tokenism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Fred Lynn.  With Rice, of course, one of The Gold Dust Twins.

Loved the inside-out sweet swing, the loping trot, and the early fearlessness in going into the Wall to catch a fly ball.  (In his rookie year, he was far from fragile.)

And, of course, AL MVP and AL ROY in the same year. Never been done before or since.

And yet, Rice is in the Hall of Fame and Lynn is not.   Go figure.  Even though Rice finished behind Lynn in the 1975 MVP and ROY balloting.  (Thanks, or should I say no thanks, to Vern Ruhle.)

Still, I go with Lynn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Lynn by a wide margin but really the excitement was that it was two rookie OFers that both appeared destined for greatness.

Lynn held a statisical edge (very slight) and was an impact OFer. It earned him the rare honor of being MVP and Rookie of the Year. There is no racism in that IMO.

Even then it seemed apparent that Rice over the course of his career was going to be a more devasting power hitter, it was my opinion at the time.

But in the spirit of rookie breakthrough it probably should have read Gold Dust twins. Of course at that point you could just stop typing because as great as other Boston rookie seasons may have been nothing like that ever has been seen before or since IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Fred Lynn.  With Rice, of course, one of The Gold Dust Twins. Loved the inside-out sweet swing, the loping trot, and the early fearlessness in going into the Wall to catch a fly ball.  (In his rookie year, he was far from fragile.) And, of course, AL MVP and AL ROY in the same year. Never been done before or since. And yet, Rice is in the Hall of Fame and Lynn is not.   Go figure.  Even though Rice finished behind Lynn in the 1975 MVP and ROY balloting.  (Thanks, or should I say no thanks, to Vern Ruhle.) Still, I go with Lynn.

Posted by summerof67

Ummm...ichiro did it as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The author added Rice to the list. I appreciate that tokenism.
    Posted by majorleague

In all fairness though, Softleague, this may speak more to the organization's lack of producing 'players of color' than to the author.  Other than Rice (and Ellsbury), I can't think of another Sox 'breakout' rookie who was non-white.  Can you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Yazzer: Boggs WAS boring ... 200+ hits and 40+ doubles every stinkin' year gets so boring. Interesting stat:
    "8 June 1986 - Wade Boggs goes hitless in Boston's 7-3 loss to Milwaukee. Boggs, over the past 162 games for the Red Sox, has played in all but two games, batting exactly .400 during that stretch."

ML: I can't wait until you get banned again.  You should at least read a post before criticizing.  I can appreciate that this team wasn't exactly run by the rainbow coalition in the past but the OP did a good job and doesn't deserve any flack.  If you think someone else should be included on the list make a suggestion ... otherwise, shut your pie hole.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Spaceman, we need to agree upon an amalgamated moniker for our continuously reincarnated friend.  While I can appreciate SoftLeague I'd like to put forward an alternative for your consideration: MajorSoftBM.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Spaceman, we need to agree upon an amalgamated moniker for our continuously reincarnated friend.  While I can appreciate SoftLeague I'd like to put forward an alternative for your consideration: MajorSoftBM .

Posted by 111SoxFan111

I think softball

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In my years of watching the Sox;  a tie between Tony C and Fred Lynn.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 1st round (20th pick) of the 1983 Major League Baseball Draft, Burks made his debut in the 1987 season as a regular center fielder at age 22, becoming the third player in the Red Sox history to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bases in one season. He was selected to both the Baseball Digest and Topps "All-Rookie" teams. Defensively, Burks showed excellent range, a sure glove and a strong arm

Sometimes, one has to look inside to see hypocrisy. As much mileage as the bastion of the Left has netted from pandering to minority voters, few regions of the Nation are as affected as New England.  

Space, look inside, friend. Ellsbury is just as injury prone early on, but not nearly as talented. However, look at the popularity difference in the two profiles. Very sad commentary on Red Sox Nation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 1st round (20th pick) of the 1983 Major League Baseball Draft , Burks made his debut in the 1987 season as a regular center fielder at age 22, becoming the third player in the Red Sox history to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bases in one season. He was selected to both the Baseball Digest and Topps "All-Rookie" teams. Defensively, Burks showed excellent range, a sure glove and a strong arm Sometimes, one has to look inside to see hypocrisy. As much mileage as the bastion of the Left has netted from pandering to minority voters, few regions of the Nation are as affected as New England.   Space, look inside, friend.
    Posted by majorleague

I wasn't disagreeing with you Softy.  I was seriously wondering why i couldn't drum up another non-white rookie splash.  thats for jogging my memory.  Forgot Burks.  Loved Ellis.  But, seriously, I'll take a pass on your preaching on matters of inequality.  Given your occasional strange sexist comments, it comes off as somewhat hypocritical.  Anyway, as I recall, RSN loved Ellis Burks.  Ellsbury gets a rookie splash nod, not because he is white (which he isn't anyway), but because his hot fall was integral in the Red Sox World Series Championship drive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

I'd go with Nomar.  The Red Sox were pretty mediocre that year but with Nomar and Fat Mo, you had a feeling that team had a bright future.

I'm pretty sure Nomar has dual citizenship status because his father was Mexican,  which would likely give him something like a "Hispanic American" label, not sure if that meets this boards criteria for 'Person of Color'.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I can't think of another Sox 'breakout' rookie who was non-white.  Can you?
    Spaceman Eephus

Maybe Ellis Burks in 1987 First year 20 HRs, 27 SB. Not up to Fred lynn standards, but pretty good anyway.

Also, Reggie Smith in 1967. Baseball Reference lists Fred Lynn as the #1 comparable hitter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I forgot, my favorite was Tony C. He was exciting to watch. I used to go to Barry Park in Lynn to watch him in American legion ball before he becam pro. If he hadn't been hurt, he would have been immortalized.

Sections
Shortcuts