What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?

In Response to Re: What is your favorite Red Sox rookie breakthrough?:
    Selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 1st round (20th pick) of the 1983 Major League Baseball Draft , Burks made his debut in the 1987 season as a regular center fielder at age 22, becoming the third player in the Red Sox history to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bases in one season. He was selected to both the Baseball Digest and Topps "All-Rookie" teams. Defensively, Burks showed excellent range, a sure glove and a strong arm Sometimes, one has to look inside to see hypocrisy. As much mileage as the bastion of the Left has netted from pandering to minority voters, few regions of the Nation are as affected as New England.   Space, look inside, friend. Ellsbury is just as injury prone early on, but not nearly as talented. However, look at the popularity difference in the two profiles. Very sad commentary on Red Sox Nation.
    Posted by majorleague

Oh, my. You are talking about one of my fav all-time.   Great player, class act, great skills, wonderful intelligence. Why he could not continue in Boston was just a mystery to me.

I was happy when he rejoined the Sox in 2004, and got a WS ring at the same time.

He is now in the Cleveland organization which is their gain and our loss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I vote for Jim Rice, but only because he is NOT a "player of color", according to our resident baseball terminology expert.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

he then listed a player that wasn't a rookie (coming to the sox from Minnesota),

Burks, in fact, made his MLB debut as a member of the Boston Red Sox. For you to try and captiously smear it as "doesn't count as a rookie because he wasn't drafted by the Red sox " is a very sad commentary on your mindset. You need to examine your mindset. The history of Boston is a very sad history that continues with abuse towards Ortiz, DiceK and other players that few Red Sox fans can physically identify with. Frankly, it's very sad. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

he then listed a player that wasn't a rookie (coming to the sox from Minnesota), Burks, in fact, made his MLB debut as a member of the Boston Red Sox. For you to try and captiously smear it as "doesn't count as a rookie because he wasn't drafted by the Red sox " is a very sad commentary on your mindset. You need to examine your mindset. The history of Boston is a very sad history that continues with abuse towards Ortiz, DiceK and other players that few Red Sox fans can physically identify with. Frankly, it's very sad. 
    Posted by majorleague

C'mon friend.  I think it is of vital importance for us to recognize the cancers that exist in our social fabric, like racism.  So, even though I might feel annoyed when you railroad a perfectly interesting baseball thread with your insinuations, I can appreciate where you are coming from.  But, you really blow up any merit your argument may have when you bring up Ortiz.  Boston has always been tough on anybody who doesn;t perform.  Yes, he took a lot of heat the last two springs.  But to suggest that this is due to the color of his skin is seriously silly.  He is a Boston sports idol who is pretty much worshipped by the RSN.  He is adored for both his ability and his personality.  The Boston sports media has had a love fest with him for years.  You betray your intentions with this Papi As Subject of Racism charge.  He took his lumps due to his performance.  Period.  I would say the same for Daisuke, but i would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the jerks on this board calling him Rice-K etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Not true. If the abuse was based upon performance, Wakefield wouldn't even be on the roster, much less get the same level of fan abuse as Ortiz gets.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not true. If the abuse was based upon performance, Wakefield wouldn't even be on the roster, much less get the same level of fan abuse as Ortiz gets.
    Posted by majorleague

This is an interesting comparison.  And you might have a point.  But, the difference is in the differing expectations for these two players and the role they play(ed) on the club.  In the last two years (in the Before Adrian era), the Sox needed Ortiz to still be a focal point of the offense.  So, when it seemed to many that he was toast, these people called it as such, wrongly as it turned out.  If there was overreaction, it was because this was the post-Manny/pre-Adrian era in which the heart of the line-up was somewhat of a question mark.  Wake in these years has just been a fill-in starter.  And besides, this ridiculous BDC forum trashing of any given player not-witstanding, Ortiz, through his struggles, was still supported by the fans by and large.  The boston media was writing his epitaph prematurely, yes.  But there was not really hositlity per se.  I think everyone still wanted to see Papi succeed.  You still heard fans shouting encouragement to him at Fenway and Fenway showed him love.  it would be a different thing if there was venom spewed at him.  There really wasn't, other than by the kind of idiots we see day in and day out here who love to trash these guys mercilessly (not that you would know anything about that).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

When talking expectations, Wake Vs. Papi or otherwise don't forget $$$$.  I doubt people would care so much about Drew or Lackey if they didn't have those price tags attached to them.

My point, the color Green transcends skin color.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In my lifetime it was obviously Rice and Lynn in 1975. If I were a fan in 1941 then it would have been Ted Williams. In my opinion, the 1975 team was the most enjoyable to watch and they probably would have won the World Series if Rice had played in it.

It is a shame that a potentially great thread had to be hijacked by the the usual culprits named Softlaw and Babe. Try re-reading the thread with Softlaw and Babe on ignore. Softlaw has a whole basketful of contrary cards to play that range from sexism to race to politics and what happens is that the forum fools fall for the act over and over again. How many of you have been pick-pocketed in Europe or had your driveway blacktopped at double the going rate? The answer is MOST OF YOU.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In my lifetime it was obviously Rice and Lynn in 1975. If I were a fan in 1941 then it would have been Ted Williams. In my opinion, the 1975 team was the most enjoyable to watch and they probably would have won the World Series if Rice had played in it. It is a shame that a potentially great thread had to be hijacked by the the usual culprits named Softlaw and Babe. Try re-reading the thread with Softlaw and Babe on ignore. Softlaw has a whole basketful of contrary cards to play that range from sexism to race to politics and what happens is that the forum fools fall for the act over and over again. How many of you have been pick-pocketed in Europe or had your driveway blacktopped at double the going rate? The answer is MOST OF YOU.
    Posted by Your-Echo
    I agree on Rice and Lynn and when we consider they came at the same time it was like no other rookie arrival in Boston. Both seemed destined for the HOF and in the end one did make it there.

My favorite team while I was very much a RS fan in my college years in 75 was the 2004 RS. Not just because they won it all ending the endless babbling that really was started after the 86 WS but because they were just such an irrevrent bunch and did it by putting the ultimate hurt on NYY (4 straight losses after going up 3-0). I loved the unkept appearance, the pine tar on the helmets they just were a great collection of characters that were never out of any game.

Tip of the cap for trying to take back the thread. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy needs to write his own dictionary.

Nobody will buy it, but it would keep him busy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts