What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

by Michael Hurley/NESN:

Forget about playing for one of the most historic franchises in sports history. Forget about playing in front of fans in the biggest city in America. Forget about playing in ballparks across the country filled with fans of your team. Forget about being a part of one of the greatest rivalries in sports.

Mark Teixeira www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/sports/baseball/four-hours-even-players-take-notice.html?_r=1&ref=sports" target="_blank">just wants to get home in time for the 11 p.m. news.

"It's brutal. I can't stand playing a nine-inning game in four hours," the Yankees' first baseman told The New York Times' Tyler Kepner. "It's not baseball. I don't even know how to describe it. If I was a fan, why would I want to come watch people sitting around and talking back and forth, going to the mound, 2-0 sliders in the dirt? Four-hour games can't be fun for a fan, either."

The painful struggle of Teixeira is enough for him to yearn for his brief time spent in the National League.

"I love baseball, but I also love the National League," Teixeira told the Times. "If it was a three-hour game [in the NL], you were like, 'Man, this game is long.' Crisp games, pitchers throw strikes, go after hitters. These four-hour games are ridiculous."

Ridiculous? OK, we can talk ridiculous.

Ridiculous is getting paid $22.5 million to do anything, let alone play a game. Even more ridiculous is hitting .249 while getting paid $22.5 million to play baseball. Ridiculous is standing at first base for a while and taking an at-bat once an hour and calling it "brutal." Ridiculous is trying to cop out by taking the "it must be hard for the fans" route.

Ridiculous, really, is to say anything other than "I appreciate the opportunity I have to play baseball for a living." To complain about a day of work lasting an extra hour every so often is ludicrous in any field, but especially among pro athletes. For anyone in the world who actually works for a living, it's hard not to be offended by Teixeira's complaints.

However you feel about Teixeira's comments, though, you have to give him this: The man is doing his part to speed the games up. He went 0-for-4 on Tuesday night and followed it up with an 0-for-3 on Wednesday, and he's now hitting .125 with 16 strikeouts against the Red Sox this season.

And hey, Mark, things are looking up! Wednesday's game took just just 3 hours and 16 minutes! Sure, your team lost, but at least you didn't have to go through that brutal, awful, painful extra 44 minutes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

Yup.  Dude gets paid like a sultan precisely because of these marathon affairs.  Its Yankees, Red Sox.  If he loves the NL so much, he could have taken a few mil less to go play over there.  but he took the Yankee money.  Suck it up big fella.  Your fluffy bed stuffed with hundred dollar bills will still be cozy and waiting for you when you get home after midnight.  What a wussy.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

What Teixeira is right. It is brutal. And Bud Selig and the MLB umpires need to go right up to Tito and Girardi and tell them here is how it's going to be. You get in the box, your timeouts are short, and you make changes swiftly. If they don't push the Sox/Yanks, you get the 4 to 5 hour games. Game 1 of this series should never have taken 4 hours. It's insanity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't complain about the length of games often, but when I do, I try to remember that I am one of the highest paid players in the game.

So after a long baseball game, I have a bottle of Dos Aquis while watching A-Rod on the World Series of Poker reruns on ESPN2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I thank god for DVR, fast forward. I can't sit through this games anymore. They are ridiculously long, they are boring, and they don't need to be given anymore relevance than other AL games. Oh yeah, I'm a fan, not a 22 millon dollar player, so stuff it couch potato fans who "enjoy" these 4 hour snoozefests. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous':
    I don't complain about the length of games often, but when I do, I try to remember that I am one of the highest paid players in the game. So after a long baseball game, I have a bottle of Dos Aquis while watching A-Rod on the World Series of Poker reruns on ESPN2.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

zilla, my favorite line from those commercials was when the narrator says, 
    "He will tell you that it was him, not you, but when he says that he would be lying."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous':
    I thank god for DVR, fast forward. I can't sit through this games anymore. They are ridiculously long, they are boring, and they don't need to be given anymore relevance than other AL games. Oh yeah, I'm a fan, not a 22 millon dollar player, so stuff it couch potato fans who "enjoy" these 4 hour snoozefests. 
    Posted by dannycater

OK.  Stuffed.  I love them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

space, to each his own on liking or not liking long, long baseball games. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

not sure how much one must get paid for this to become untrue

Teixeira said. “If it was a three-hour game, you were like, ‘Man, this game is long.’ Crisp games, pitchers throw strikes, go after hitters. These four-hour games are ridiculous.”       

to suggest he was complaining about  his work hrs

is so silly..............................and fun I guess if U R from RSN ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

What Teixeira is right. It is brutal. And Bud Selig and the MLB umpires need to go right up to Tito and Girardi and tell them here is how it's going to be. You get in the box, your timeouts are short, and you make changes swiftly. If they don't push the Sox/Yanks, you get the 4 to 5 hour games. Game 1 of this series should never have taken 4 hours. It's insanity.
    Posted by dannycater

Agree that the games are too long.  I just am not sure that this will ever change. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I love the Sox vs. the Yanks.  Those 4 hours are 4 hours I don't have to do anything else.  Bring it on!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He should have had his agent put a clause in his contract to pay him for overtime.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Wonder if this is being played up here....  The games ARE too long.  What I'm not sure of is whether he is whining or voicing a valid complaint.  And there is a difference between whining and complaining.  Considering media these days, I expect it is simply being played up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I have a bunch of thoughts on this, some contradict each other.

1. I love baseball, so the length of games don't bother me.

2. Having said that, I hate pitchers who work slow, and ...

3. ... batters should stay in the damn box after each pitch.

4. Any player making millions to play a game should shut the he!! up.

5. Umm ... Mark, maybe you should just hack at the first offering whether it's a strike or not. And tell your teammates to not wait for their pitch. That will speed up the game.

6. And while your at it, tell your pitchers not waste time between pitches and to throw strikes. That will speed up the game too.

7. No?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, though I personally enjoy these crazy affairs, they are on the long side.  But, the thing is, aomplaining about it seems to be just spitting in the wind.  What should be done to abbreviate them?  These clubs have been built to compete against eachother for the past decade.  Every move has a counter, every player, his foil.  The teams are just doing everything in their power to win.  I cannot see exactly where the league is supposed to step in and nip these long games in the bud.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

4. Any player making millions to play a game should shut the he!! up.

I see

does this go for every time they are asked a question

or just when the answer might not be popular

why knock a guy 4 being honest

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=da3b458ac8fc037aa2ffff6981fd0921&plckUserId=da3b458ac8fc037aa2ffff6981fd0921">
    First: 6/6/2008
    Last: 9/1/2011
    Yup.  Dude gets paid like a sultan precisely because of these marathon affairs.  Its Yankees, Red Sox.  If he loves the NL so much, he could have taken a few mil less to go play over there.  but he took the Yankee money.  Suck it up big fella.  Your fluffy bed stuffed with hundred dollar bills will still be cozy and waiting for you when you get home after midnight.  What a wussy.

hate to disagree with ya space but those aren't 100 dollar bills pal, more like 1,000 dollar bills and in not only his mattress but every freakin mattress in his house or houses..........what a moron man. we got families up here that are still without power after 5 days and this clown is complaining about how long yankee redsox games go. sheeesh!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

4. Any player making millions to play a game should shut the he!! up. I see does this go for every time they are asked a question or just when the answer might not be popular why knock a guy 4 being honest
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Hey Zac,

The question I have is what is the average length of a game played by two division rivals on national TV vs the time it takes for the Sox V Yanks to complete a game on national TV? Al vs AL teams and NL vs NL teams?

As for Texiera's comments, I still can't for the life me understand what the fuss is all about...I've never, ever, ever gone to game and worried about how long it took to play and certainly not in the comfort of my own home...

Perhaps the networks and the players should ask the thousands of fans that show up 2 hours before the game starts to watch the visting team take BP and wish that MLB would open the gates earlier so fans and young kids could actually watch the home take take BP and then stay until the last out! How they feel about the length of the game...real fans couldn't care less and the more I hear the players and the networks crying over it the more I wonder exactly what the probelm is?

Sounds to me like all of them need to gain some perspective...if they want to speed up the game fine. Starting with Texiera tonight instead of stepping out of the box after every pitch adjusting his gloves and staring down the pitcher, maybe if he stayed in the box, ready to hit he could help do his part to speed up the game and instead of it taking 3 or four pitches and working the counts swing at the first pitch in the zone and for that matter is you really want to speed up the game and kill attendence lets revert back to the actual strike zone in the book and stop all of the 3-2 ten pitch abats...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

4. Any player making millions to play a game should shut the he!! up. I see does this go for every time they are asked a question or just when the answer might not be popular why knock a guy 4 being honest
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Why?

Because he's getting paid millions to play a game. I don't begrudge him the money -- I never complained about salaries. But he has to know how he's going to come across.

If it was that bad then he should have stayed in the N.L. It must not be that brutal. He could have said he likes faster game and at the same time acknowledge why the games are long. The Yankees are as much to blame as Boston. He could have been honest yet couched his words a bit better.

Like I posted -- I don't mind long games. However, it does bug me when pitchers take long between pitches and when batters keep stepping out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He's right.  And they usually run longer than 4 hours.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

This is truly one of the dumbest things he's ever fed to the media, and he's generally pretty well-spoken and highly knowledgeable about this game. Sounds a lot like sour grapes.  He wouldn't have said this had the Yanks pulled off a miraculous comeback in the last two innings.

The funniest part is, that game didn't go close to 4 hours.  It was exactly 3 hrs 16 minutes.  And about three of those minutes were due to his ability to foul off pitches during his ABs. Does he now regret those ABs because of their length? 

So if Teixeira wouldn't mind choking with a bit more alacrity, he'd have made the 11pm news.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

FWIW, the Yanks and Sox have the highest OBP's in the MLB.  I think we can assume this means long at bats which makes the games longer.  Also, they have the most, or among the most, prolific offense too ... again, longer games with more base runners.  Add to that the rivalry factor and the number of strategic pitching changes, deliberate pace, etc. and, well, you get my point.

Bottom line is that they are going to have longer than normal games even without batters stepping out of the box more than usual or pitchers working slowly.  Sure the commissioners office should take them to task when a pitcher takes 40 seconds between pitches as the norm, but no matter what they do, Yanks/Sox games will be longer than average so I don't think it is worth complaining about.  Oh, and before I forget, yes, NL games will be shorter since 11% of the at bats are pitchers swinging 3 times and striking out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I'm guessing the beer vendors don't mind the long 1-6 innings.

Sections
Shortcuts