What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous':
    I'm guessing the beer vendors don't mind the long 1-6 innings.
    Posted by chuchos

Fans didn't seem to mind, either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous'

The games are long and they are brutal (stress filled) but that's why I love them. Hey, they are the Red Sox and Yankees. Every game has the potential to be a mini-classic and should be savoured. This is the best rivalry in sports and Texeira is paid to play in it. He should feel honored.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll stick up for Teixeira a little, anyway ... he was asked a question and he answered it honestly. If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. And I think he's right, four hours for a nine-inning game is insane.

But whoever it was that pointed out he chose to be in the AL instead of NL has a valid point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous':
    In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous' : Why? Because he's getting paid millions to play a game. I don't begrudge him the money -- I never complained about salaries. But he has to know how he's going to come across. If it was that bad then he should have stayed in the N.L. It must not be that brutal. He could have said he likes faster game and at the same time acknowledge why the games are long. The Yankees are as much to blame as Boston. He could have been honest yet couched his words a bit better. Like I posted -- I don't mind long games. However, it does bug me when pitchers take long between pitches and when batters keep stepping out.
    Posted by royf19

Roy, be careful about opening the box of Pandora here. If you are paid millions of dollars expect to be villified for bitching about a 4 hour game? Ok, then I'm using that against Lackey, Crawford, and anyone else I see making a boatload of cash and not performing to expectations or even career norms. Can't have it both ways. It's either we have the right to obliterate players who are overpaid and not doing their jobs and the right to rip them for their comments based on those overbloated salaries, or if we are to take the tact of some posters on this board, we should never use salary to dictate how we judge someone's performance. Baloney! I don't think Tex was saying something out of line, hell, he was telling the truth. More players ought to be that forthright (Palmeiro, McGwire, Clemens, and the list goes on). I don't think his salary has anything to do with his comments, personally. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Again, guys, that game didn't go 4 hours.  There is a huge difference between 3:16 and 4.  3:16 is just about the AL average for game length.

So we're okay with the fact that he lost track of 44 minutes?  I really like Tex, too; I actually have a pretty high opinion of him these days. 

But this type of comment is just ignorant. People should check out times of games prior to WWI.  Not uncommon to find games that went 5 or 6+ hours.  There are also football games that have gone longer than this due to overtime.  Ever heard a football player complain about the length of a game?  Wanna know why people tend to look at baseball players as milquetoast by comparison?

I get that it's a different era, but if Tex doesn't like the length of these games, it's fine by RS fans if he leaves in the 7th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

4. Any player making millions to play a game should shut the he!! up. I see does this go for every time they are asked a question or just when the answer might not be popular why knock a guy 4 being honest
    Posted by pinstripezac32

It has been a Yankee staple since Torre was a manager, that they would grind out AB, too run up pitch counts, too get into bull-pens, so Teixeira complaining about length of games is dis-engenious at best. After all he went there on his own, and had full knowledge of their style of play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I just don't uncderstand the fuss.  Ya, I'd like for the games to get over in time for me to see the 11:00 news too, but this is 2011 baseball.  Here's why the games are long...

1)  BOTH teams have had undeniable success at "working the count".  Translation:  Taking lots of pitches.  It's good strategy.  It works.  It also makes long games, both becaue of the number of pitches thrown AND because it means more pitching changes.

2)  Hitters stepping into and out of the batter's box.

3) Pitchers just plain taking a long time to throw pitches.

(Both #2 & #3 are done to control the tempo of the game and keep the opponent off balance.) 

But my personal favorite is....

4)  MLB and the advertisers dicate how long a time is allowed between innings.  Do you think it's a coincidence that the game is always just starting when they come back from a commercial break between innings?  IT'S NOT! (As an aside, there's an extra 30 seconds between innings during playoff games for.... more commercials!)

When MLB starts cutting down the time between innings is when I'll believe that they're serious about speeding the game up.  :-) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

...and here's what I have to say to Mark:

Waaa Waaa Waaa.  There's never been a moment in my life when I wouldn't have traded jobs with you, even if it meant playing until 11:00 every night. 

Get real and shut up, fella.  And be thankful that God blessed you with the ability to play baseball.  Otherwise you'd be working at a real job for real pay during real hours like the rest of us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

I wonder if his Yankees were winners of 11 out of 14 against the Sox....would the length of these games bother him?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

You would think that with the money he makes,he could afford Tivo or a DVR to record the 11:00 news.
    Problem solved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from diane39. Show diane39's posts

What is the amount of time during the course of a game is a player actually playing? I'll bet it can be measured in minutes. Oh the brutality of it all!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I have a bunch of thoughts on this, some contradict each other. 1. I love baseball, so the length of games don't bother me. 2. Having said that, I hate pitchers who work slow, and ... 3. ... batters should stay in the damn box after each pitch. 4. Any player making millions to play a game should shut the he!! up. 5. Umm ... Mark, maybe you should just hack at the first offering whether it's a strike or not. And tell your teammates to not wait for their pitch. That will speed up the game. 6. And while your at it, tell your pitchers not waste time between pitches and to throw strikes. That will speed up the game too. 7. No?
    Posted by royf19

100% correct on all counts!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous' : Roy, be careful about opening the box of Pandora here. If you are paid millions of dollars expect to be villified for bitching about a 4 hour game? Ok, then I'm using that against Lackey, Crawford, and anyone else I see making a boatload of cash and not performing to expectations or even career norms. Can't have it both ways. It's either we have the right to obliterate players who are overpaid and not doing their jobs and the right to rip them for their comments based on those overbloated salaries, or if we are to take the tact of some posters on this board, we should never use salary to dictate how we judge someone's performance. Baloney! I don't think Tex was saying something out of line, hell, he was telling the truth. More players ought to be that forthright (Palmeiro, McGwire, Clemens, and the list goes on). I don't think his salary has anything to do with his comments, personally. 
    Posted by dannycater

Danny, I don't think it's the same thing.

Money doesn't make a player a better player or make them something they're not. If a player produces but it's not up to a level we feel is equal to the salary, then so be it. If they're working hard, that's all I ask. If they just aren't any good -- hey, it is what it is. I'll rip a player for not producing, but I don't rip a player because I feel he should hit 20 points higher with 20 more RBIs simply because he's making x-amoung of dollars.

My statement is more general and it's not even focused on big-money players. It's about working conditions. It even applies the minimum-salaried players. Major League players are paid great money, yet he's making it sound like being on the field an extra hour or so is akin to working in unsafe coal mines of the 19th century.

It's two very different things.

In general, he's right about games being too long. Like I posted, I don't mind long games, but I don't like slow-working pitchers and batters who keep stepping out. However, he's not some poor coal-miner working in a company town getting paid next-to-nothing. So don't throw around words like brutal. If had simply said that some of these games are too long but acknowledge the intensity of the games and how the lineups are strong so that is the reason pitchers nibble and why they might take time between pitchers to concentrate and acknowlege that hitters step out so they can be more focused -- or soemthing like this -- then I'd have no problem.

I don't know, maybe I'm putting too much focus on the word brutal. There's nothing wrong with saying he likes the pace of NL games better, but the way he worded his entire response, he comes across as a spoiled whiner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevotedRSgirl. Show DevotedRSgirl's posts

I love the Sox vs. the Yanks.  Those 4 hours are 4 hours I don't have to do anything else.  Bring it on!
    Posted by jimdavis

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have a solution that should make (almost) everybody happy.

Start 7:00 games at 7:00 , not 7:10.

Reduce the player's salaries by 25%

Reduce # of commercials between innings to only two 30 second spots.

Games willl be about thirty minutes shorter.

Of course, among those still unhappy, players making less money, owners selling less at the concession stands, advertisers not getting their visibility in the form of the same stupid Southwest Airlines or W.B.Mason ads repeated endlessly until we know the words better than the player's batting averages.

Fans , however, would probably be thrilled with a 3 or 3 1/2  hour game, they will find they actually have lives in the summer besides work and baseball games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I have three comments in response to Teixeira:

1)  He is right.

2) The unhappier he is, the happier I am.

3) Asking the Sox/Yankees to speed up their games is like asking a foursome to speed up their play; they can only do that if they can magically change how they play the game.  Most foursomes are slow because the players stink and take so many long walks followed by way too many (and uncounted) strokes to get the ball onto the green.  The Sox and Yanks have long games because both teams are purposely stacked with guys who intentionally take pitchers deep into counts and approach each at bat like they are in the world series already.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Games are too long, period.  Commercials are not the problem because of the warmup pitches between innings plus getting on and off the field.

Hitters and pitchers are taking way too long.  I would let hitters continue to step out of the batter's box as often and as long as they want, but with the understanding the pitcher can pitch and get strikes at any time.  I would hold the pitchers to 30 seconds between pitches.  One visit per inning from the catcher.  One visit per pitcher from the bench--to yank him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Must be tough to be bored and get paid all that money.  Tex does have the right to complain. 

But he is a huge puss just the same for doing it.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I don't complain about the length of games often, but when I do, I try to remember that I am one of the highest paid players in the game. So after a long baseball game, I have a bottle of Dos Aquis while watching A-Rod on the World Series of Poker reruns on ESPN2.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Very funny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

the Yankees announcers were complaining last night also.......and blaming Beckett for it................have they watched Jeter or A-rod go through all that Nomar-type batting routines before actually stepping into the box?? hypocrites

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Must be tough to be bored and get paid all that money.  Tex does have the right to complain.  But he is a huge puss just the same for doing it.  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

where did he imply he was bored

soxmeister  where ?

and as real BB fans

I think we should be some what concern about the length of the games

I don't think it helps atract new / young fans

RSN says complain

I say answers a question honestly

jeez it's not like he busted into the mgrs press conference

crying about it

and to those who keep bringing up money or their  jobs

how bout you save it until he says he's needs more $$ to do it

until now your posts haves no merit

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous':
    by Michael Hurley/NESN: Forget about playing for one of the most historic franchises in sports history. Forget about playing in front of fans in the biggest city in America. Forget about playing in ballparks across the country filled with fans of your team. Forget about being a part of one of the greatest rivalries in sports. Mark Teixeira www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/sports/baseball/four-hours-even-players-take-notice.html?_r=1&ref=sports " target="_blank" /> just wants to get home in time for the 11 p.m. news. "It's brutal. I can't stand playing a nine-inning game in four hours," the Yankees' first baseman told The New York Times' Tyler Kepner . "It's not baseball. I don't even know how to describe it. If I was a fan, why would I want to come watch people sitting around and talking back and forth, going to the mound, 2-0 sliders in the dirt? Four-hour games can't be fun for a fan, either." The painful struggle of Teixeira is enough for him to yearn for his brief time spent in the National League. "I love baseball, but I also love the National League," Teixeira told the Times. "If it was a three-hour game [in the NL], you were like, 'Man, this game is long.' Crisp games, pitchers throw strikes, go after hitters. These four-hour games are ridiculous." Ridiculous? OK, we can talk ridiculous. Ridiculous is getting paid $22.5 million to do anything , let alone play a game. Even more ridiculous is hitting .249 while getting paid $22.5 million to play baseball. Ridiculous is standing at first base for a while and taking an at-bat once an hour and calling it "brutal." Ridiculous is trying to cop out by taking the "it must be hard for the fans" route. Ridiculous, really, is to say anything other than "I appreciate the opportunity I have to play baseball for a living." To complain about a day of work lasting an extra hour every so often is ludicrous in any field, but especially among pro athletes. For anyone in the world who actually works for a living, it's hard not to be offended by Teixeira's complaints. However you feel about Teixeira's comments, though, you have to give him this: The man is doing his part to speed the games up. He went 0-for-4 on Tuesday night and followed it up with an 0-for-3 on Wednesday, and he's now hitting .125 with 16 strikeouts against the Red Sox this season. And hey, Mark, things are looking up! Wednesday's game took just just 3 hours and 16 minutes! Sure, your team lost, but at least you didn't have to go through that brutal, awful, painful extra 44 minutes.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

Mark should have asked for overtime pay in his contract. 

Maybe he feels a shorter game gives him less AB and may keep him his BA at a respectable 245 :) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I notice that Mark never brought this up until this season when his team is 3-12 in these "brutal" games.

Yeah the games are long. Two teams with very deliberate hitters and pitchers that don't give in. It is Yankees - RS and it seems to draw...

I can't help but think his lack of enjoyment would be lessened if his club had won 12 of 15 instead of 3 of 15.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

No one has considered that the extra hour in a Sox/Yanks game allows for a couple of extra brews!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

In Response to Re: What is your response to Mark: Teixeira Complains That Long Red Sox-Yankees Games Are 'Brutal' and 'Ridiculous' :
    Must be tough to be bored and get paid all that money.  Tex does have the right to complain.  But he is a huge puss just the same for doing it.   Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE ] where did he imply he was bored soxmeister  where ? and as real BB fans I think we should be some what concern about the length of the games I don't think it helps atract new / young fans RSN says complain I say answers a question honestly jeez it's not like he busted into the mgrs press conference crying about it and to those who keep bringing up money or their  jobs how bout you save it until he says he's needs more $$ to do it until now your posts haves no merit
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Zak, take a pill.  You come out all guns firing in a Sox forum. Tex shouldn't have said ANYTHING and you know it.   And I am not RSN, so stuff that talk.   Unless you want to be refered to as pig-hat from now on.

Sections
Shortcuts