what might have been

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

what might have been

As a long-time Sox fan, dating back to the Williams, Doerr, Pesky, DiMaggio era, I’m so thrilled and excited that this year’s edition was able to pull off the improbable with last night’s climatic win to advance to the World Series. These guys are not the ‘Idiots’ of 2004 but they sure do have their share of characters, and lovable characters they are. So congrats to the Sox and good luck in THE series.

Now if I may, allow me to share but one of my reflections this morning after coming down from the ‘high’ that the ALCS provided.

Back in 2004 and 2005, I dreamed of one-day seeing Pedroia at 2B and Hanley Ramirez at SS which, I believed, would solidify the Red Sox infield for years to come. But it was not to be. And yet I still bemoan the trade that sent Ramirez, along with Anibal Sanchez to the Marlins for Beckett and Lowell. To this day I still believe what I believed then. I thought they could have gotten Lowell, who the Marlins where eager to dump because of salary restraints, without giving up either Ramirez or Sanchez. As for Beckett, in spite of his 2007 season performance that contributed to a world championship, I was never on-board with the decision to acquire him.

That being said, I bring this up because I fear the Sox are repeating history. I have, for the past couple of years, dreamt of the day when the Sox infield would be made up of Pedroia at 2B, Iglesias at SS, and Bogaerts at 3B.

In spite of Iglesias’ apparent mishandling of a groundball hit to the right of 2B in a key situation, a ball that most SS would not have even gotten to, and in spite of the many naysayers who deride his hitting ability, I say that this guy is destined to be one of the better SS for years to come. He may not become a year-in-year-out .300 hitter, but it will not surprise me one bit if he develops into a steady .260-.280 hitter. I have no doubt that his work ethic and poise in combination with his extraordinary fielding skills shall one day warrant participation in the All Star Game.

And when that day arrives I’ll at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I was as much against letting this exceptional player get away, (for a middle-of-the-road pitcher) as I was against letting Hanley Ramirez get away.

In most fans’ lexicon, it might not have the melodic ring of ‘Tinkers to Evers to Chance’, but stored away with my ‘dreamt keystone combo’ of Ramirez SS/Pedroia 2B, is a special niche for the ‘dreamt infield’ of Bogaerts, Iglesias, and Pedroia.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: what might have been

Right now my dream infield is Bogaerts, Drew and Pedey. Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Well written heartfelt prose...

End of the day after winning it all in 2007 I haven't spent a single moment wondering what could've been with Ramirez...Fact is that in 2007 Beckett and Lowell both played key roles in delivering another WS ring...From where I sit one ring is worth any number of prospects. 

2004 erased a lot of bad memories and served to silence the chants of 1918 a refrain that eco'd through the years from the arrogant throngs that filled the seats in the house that Ruth built..2007 legitimized the end of the Yawkey curse. the price paid was well worth it...

Iglesias ain't Rameriz, Bogaerts could well be...Peavy helped get us to where we are today and will have another shot to help us raise another banner. the price for getting to the World Series was trading our second best SS prospect...Winning it is priceless...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Add Middlebrooks at 1B and count me in...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Good one. I concur.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias is a special talent. A sensational defensive shortstop and an improving hitter. He has a great future. For some reason, there will be some who follow his career , and continue to bash him at every opportunity. I guess it is just their way of showing support for Ben and the trade for Peavy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Iglesias is a special talent. A sensational defensive shortstop and an improving hitter. He has a great future. For some reason, there will be some who follow his career , and continue to bash him at every opportunity. I guess it is just their way of showing support for Ben and the trade for Peavy.

It remains to be seen how great he will be.  What if he is one of those players who makes spectacular plays and botches easy ones like he did in this series?  The error last night was brutal.  That was a simple play to get one out at least. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Why is everyone still pining for this kid Iglesias? He's a borderline minor leaguer. Everyone down there can play infield defense. 

And he just blew it on the national stage. No ... a lot of short stops would have gotten to that ground ball ... he just muffed it coming out of his glove. 

Can we, maybe, forget about him and enjoy the players the Sox do have ... like Drew ... who *actually* made a play last night most shortstops wouldn't have made?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It remains to be seen how great he will be.  What if he is one of those players who makes spectacular plays and botches easy ones like he did in this series?  The error last night was brutal.  That was a simple play to get one out at least. 

Simple play made tougher with Ellsbury running...in trying to get two he got caught between fielding it and going to the bag or flipping it. That said it was a brutal error given the situation and his second in the series where he tried to make the spectacular when prudence suggested he make the routine play. 

I myself don't understand why it is so important to continue to speculate on his ability...the kid has tools and a love for the game...like all prospects...he'll find his ceiling and will learn when to and when not to gamble. All of us just have to accept that he's a Tiger and his upside potential and development in now in the hands of him, the Tigers and God. My hope is that the kid one day finds himself in the hall of fame and Peavy finds himself wearing a ring...in the immortal words of cleansing ones angst....let it go...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Great post Dustcover and as a Septuagenarian I too go back to Ted Williams, Billy Goodman, Pesky, DiMaggio, Mel Parnell, Ellis Kinder...name dropping some players from that era. My Father went to his reward of Baseball stadium in the sky never having seen a Sox World Series victory. Came close in 1986 when my Dad was visiting me in SF and we watched Sox win 1st 2 from Mets then lose first 2 in Fenway & win the 3rd and then lose next 2 in NY with the Bill Buckner Bobble. We suffered in 1946 & 1967(St. Louis) & 1975(Reds). And then playoffs too there were some great moments, Bernie Carbo pinch HR & Carlton Fist's famous walk off & also Dave Henderson's vs Angels. But we sufferered too with the hated Yankees in Bucky Dent's at Fenway & then Aaron Boone's walk off. OK, I'm getting nostalgic & a bit depressed but for me the Sox have allowed me
    while still above the turf to 2004, 2007 and, hopefully prophetic, 2013 world series victories.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

While Iggy is talented, and going to play spectacular SS for years to come, tormenting the Sox fans, Bogaerts is super special.  Besides the fantastic fielding, his maturity is beyond his years.  Sox fans are going to enjoy some great times with this kid, and Pedey in the in field.

Middlebrooks is going to continue to develop along the lines of Youkilis - patient hitter with some power to boot, with safe hands manning the hot corner.

Sox have done well couting these kids, recruiting them, and developing them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Add Middlebrooks at 1B and count me in...

i think he's saying that for the rest of this season...middlebrooks will not be a 1b.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Baseball is almost 100% what might have beens

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Really enjoyed the OP..but I don't spend a lot of time dwelling on what might have been. What's done is done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    To this day I still believe what I believed then. I thought they could have gotten Lowell, who the Marlins where eager to dump because of salary restraints, without giving up either Ramirez or Sanchez.

Of course, the Marlins would not give up Josh Beckett without the Red Sox including Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez (and taking on Mike Lowell's salary).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If the Red Sox win the World Series then Iglesias will get a ring too right?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pedey 2b, Xander SS, Middy 3b.

I dont understand why everyone wants to throw Xander at a position where its painfully obvious hes not comfortable with. Then throw WMB at a position hes never really played before, just to have Iggy. That might give you a little better D at SS, but then it drops of considerably with XB and WMB at the corners. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Just because a couple scouts had said a couple years ago that Bogey MIGHT grow out of the position? More recently, scouts have said that his defense has improved a lot over the last couple years and believe that he could, and should stick at SS. Hes 6'3 and 185lbs...Jeter is 6'3, Hanley, Ripken, A-Rod, Tulo...And those guys are all about 200lbs or above.

Personally, I dont think he will be a 280-300 hitter. Too many ground balls and not enough line drives. Hes young and obviously could get better at it, but personally, I wouldnt bet my hard earned money on 280-300BA happening. And I certainly wouldnt take 2 young players and put them out of position just to keep Iggy. You dont move the #2 prospect in ALL MLB off position just to accomodate a guy like Iggy. Sorry, but Iggy was expendable and I hardly think we will suffer because of his loss. Seems were still doing pretty good since he left.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

As a long-time Sox fan, dating back to the Williams, Doerr, Pesky, DiMaggio era, I’m so thrilled and excited that this year’s edition was able to pull off the improbable with last night’s climatic win to advance to the World Series. These guys are not the ‘Idiots’ of 2004 but they sure do have their share of characters, and lovable characters they are. So congrats to the Sox and good luck in THE series.

Now if I may, allow me to share but one of my reflections this morning after coming down from the ‘high’ that the ALCS provided.

Back in 2004 and 2005, I dreamed of one-day seeing Pedroia at 2B and Hanley Ramirez at SS which, I believed, would solidify the Red Sox infield for years to come. But it was not to be. And yet I still bemoan the trade that sent Ramirez, along with Anibal Sanchez to the Marlins for Beckett and Lowell. To this day I still believe what I believed then. I thought they could have gotten Lowell, who the Marlins where eager to dump because of salary restraints, without giving up either Ramirez or Sanchez. As for Beckett, in spite of his 2007 season performance that contributed to a world championship, I was never on-board with the decision to acquire him.

That being said, I bring this up because I fear the Sox are repeating history. I have, for the past couple of years, dreamt of the day when the Sox infield would be made up of Pedroia at 2B, Iglesias at SS, and Bogaerts at 3B.

In spite of Iglesias’ apparent mishandling of a groundball hit to the right of 2B in a key situation, a ball that most SS would not have even gotten to, and in spite of the many naysayers who deride his hitting ability, I say that this guy is destined to be one of the better SS for years to come. He may not become a year-in-year-out .300 hitter, but it will not surprise me one bit if he develops into a steady .260-.280 hitter. I have no doubt that his work ethic and poise in combination with his extraordinary fielding skills shall one day warrant participation in the All Star Game.

And when that day arrives I’ll at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I was as much against letting this exceptional player get away, (for a middle-of-the-road pitcher) as I was against letting Hanley Ramirez get away.

In most fans’ lexicon, it might not have the melodic ring of ‘Tinkers to Evers to Chance’, but stored away with my ‘dreamt keystone combo’ of Ramirez SS/Pedroia 2B, is a special niche for the ‘dreamt infield’ of Bogaerts, Iglesias, and Pedroia.

Share your feelings, I also belong to that magnificent era of the late forties ( will never forget the horiible Galehouse game)...with Iglesias a painful thing of the past, I think, thou that Bogaerts will be a great ss for many years with potent bat as well... Have not given up on Will MB, on the contrary believe he will soon be another shining star....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I think the players vote, IC. That's what they did in 2004, when Nomar was traded. They voted to give him one and what would have been his share of the WS winnings

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I think the players vote, IC. That's what they did in 2004, when Nomar was traded. They voted to give him one and what would have been his share of the WS winnings

Thank you J-BAY for your reply!!!   Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

they will def give iggy a share.  not a doubt in my mind.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

as for iggy's future....my opinion is it will be this:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Great post Dustcover and as a Septuagenarian I too go back to Ted Williams, Billy Goodman, Pesky, DiMaggio, Mel Parnell, Ellis Kinder...name dropping some players from that era. My Father went to his reward of Baseball stadium in the sky never having seen a Sox World Series victory. Came close in 1986 when my Dad was visiting me in SF and we watched Sox win 1st 2 from Mets then lose first 2 in Fenway & win the 3rd and then lose next 2 in NY with the Bill Buckner Bobble. We suffered in 1946 & 1967(St. Louis) & 1975(Reds). And then playoffs too there were some great moments, Bernie Carbo pinch HR & Carlton Fist's famous walk off & also Dave Henderson's vs Angels. But we sufferered too with the hated Yankees in Bucky Dent's at Fenway & then Aaron Boone's walk off. OK, I'm getting nostalgic & a bit depressed but for me the Sox have allowed me
    while still above the turf to 2004, 2007 and, hopefully prophetic, 2013 world series victories.

Thanks for sharing and re-kindling memories of some great moments.  And speaking of Bernie Carbo, you might be interested to know that Bernie coached the local Pensacola Pelicans in 2003, 2004, & 2005.  After three seasons of successfully leading his team to the post season, Carbo retired to return full time to Diamond Club Ministries, the organization he formed in 1993.

Carbo could often be seen in the community speaking to civic groups, youth groups, playing mini-golf for charity, visiting children's hospitals or teaching one of the many clinics the Pelicans hold throughout the year. He never left the stadium until he talked to every fan waiting and was a true role model for the team and the community.

A complete reversal from the character he was in his playing days.

Sections
Shortcuts