What needs to happen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

What needs to happen

First thing is first, DFA Mcdonald and Punto. Call up Ciriaco and Linares.
    Give Buchholz one more start, if he pitches like he has been pitching put him on the DL, call up Melancon and input Vincente Padilla in the starting rotation. We don't need a big blockbuster trade. It will leave our farm system more dry than before. As soon as DiceK comes off the DL put him in for Padilla. When Buchholz comes off the DL put him in Bards spot and send him to the bullpen (Only if he continues to only being able to throw 90 pitches per game) his most valuable aspect to this team at the moment is being able to shut down at any point in the game. The most important thing that needs to happen is as soon as we get a day off these guys need to get together and do something to help them bond. Chemistry is the biggest thing that effects sports teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: What needs to happen

i agree with most of that. swapping a few names of course

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They need a closer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

In Response to Re: What needs to happen:
    They need a closer.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Have you not seen aceves lately?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to What needs to happen:
    First thing is first, DFA Mcdonald and Punto. Call up Ciriaco and Linares. Give Buchholz one more start, if he pitches like he has been pitching put him on the DL, call up Melancon and input Vincente Padilla in the starting rotation. We don't need a big blockbuster trade. It will leave our farm system more dry than before. As soon as DiceK comes off the DL put him in for Padilla. When Buchholz comes off the DL put him in Bards spot and send him to the bullpen (Only if he continues to only being able to throw 90 pitches per game) his most valuable aspect to this team at the moment is being able to shut down at any point in the game. The most important thing that needs to happen is as soon as we get a day off these guys need to get together and do something to help them bond. Chemistry is the biggest thing that effects sports teams.
    Posted by zack5042
    Why would you DFA to bench players to call up prospects to sit on the bench?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

They need a closer.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

yeah because that's why we have been losing games before the 9th inning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

They need to sign Jason Varitek as a personal coach for Lavernaway.

I have to think that the catching is at least some of the problem for the pitching and they could use Laevernaway's bat too.

Bard may have lost some control in the 8th but he was still blazing away at 95mph so it's not a running out of gas issue with him its concentration. Plus until tonight he had the lowest era out of the starters although that's not saying much I guess.

When is Bailey supposed to be back? July?

Can they sign Oswalt now? With him and DiceK they can rest Beckett when he gets a hangnail later in the season.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Closer pushes aceves back to the 8th. 

It's not that difficult to understand.

Makes the team better by a long shot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The owners owe Bobby V a closer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

They need to sign Jason Varitek as a personal coach for Lavernaway. I have to think that the catching is at least some of the problem for the pitching and they could use Laevernaway's bat too. Bard may have lost some control in the 8th but he was still blazing away at 95mph so it's not a running out of gas issue with him its concentration. Plus until tonight he had the lowest era out of the starters although that's not saying much I guess. When is Bailey supposed to be back? July? Can they sign Oswalt now? With him and DiceK they can rest Beckett when he gets a hangnail later in the season.
    Posted by stillgridlocked

So what?  

There is a difference between a power pitcher and a hurler.  Tom Seaver was a power pitcher, Nolan Ryan was a hurler.  Bard might work his way to power pitcher someday but, even with all his talent, he's still just a hurler.  And, I don't necessarily see, nor do I mean that as an insult.  Bard needs to develop, evolve and mature into a pitcher, .. or he might as well be put back in the pen.  The question is do the RS want to allow that and can they, .. all things considered?

Keep in mind. that Ryan was mostly a .500 pitcher thourghout his career, (162 game average is 14-13), and baseball was different then.  There is a much greater appreaciation for reliefe pitchers and closer now than when Ryan was starting out.  I'd go as far as saying, that if Ryan was starting out today, ... with his ability to throw it past people, ... he's be slotted as a closer.

Bard's best career option, in my opinion, is in the pen. He certainly has talent.  Unless he wants to completely evolve into something he's yet to show the RS are wasting him in the rotation.  But, that only underscores the fact the the FO has done a poor job of constructing their roster.

The season is still early bit the RS are behind and fading.  The need to ramp it up or start thinking abour nert year.  Frankly, I hope it's the former because the AL East racce is far more interesting WITH the RS than without.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from er877. Show er877's posts

The answer is that Bard IS the closer and should not be starting. Pitch counts are basically irrelevant, because as a two-pitch pitcher he can't get through a lineup 3 times. The effectiveness of his two primary pitches has been negated by the fact that pacing himself in a starter's role has forced him to decrease velocity on both the fastball and slider, both of which have been far more ineffective as a result. Though he has maintained a speed differential between his FB and change, the change is still a waste pitch and he is only throwing it 2% more than he did last year as a set-up man.
    Bottom line is that unless he can master a third pitch in a real hurry, he will continue as a mediocre 4th starter instead of a possibly elite late-inning option. Cry all you want about Dice-K, Lackey, Crawford et al, this misuse of a home-grown talent sits sqaurely on the shoulders of the new order.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I can see what you're saying. I was surprised Valentine even let Bard start the 8th inning.

It still really all comes back to the dead weight contracts that Theo saddled the Sox with and the upper upper management just signed onto whatever he did.

If they had 5 good starters Bard would have stayed in the pen. This was a despseration move because Cherington was hamstrung for spending money. That's how I saw it anyway. On top of that he didn't want Valentine but it seems that upper management is just playing a game because Valentine didn't get what he wanted either which was Bard in the pen and Iglecias (sp?).

Playing both sides against each other imo.

Paplebin has a 3.00 era, opposing batters are hitting .198 and he has 9 saves with 0 blown saves. Bailey not one inning. Crawford looks to be on the DL till his contract is up. DiceK wants to pitch all year in the minors.

In Response to Re: What needs to happen : So what?   There is a difference between a power pitcher and a hurler.  Tom Seaver was a power pitcher, Nolan Ryan was a hurler.  Bard might work his way to power pitcher someday but, even with all his talent, he's still just a hurler.  And, I don't necessarily see, nor do I mean that as an insult.  Bard needs to develop, evolve and mature into a pitcher, .. or he might as well be put back in the pen.  The question is do the RS want to allow that and can they, .. all things considered? Keep in mind. that Ryan was mostly a .500 pitcher thourghout his career, (162 game average is 14-13), and baseball was different then.  There is a much greater appreaciation for reliefe pitchers and closer now than when Ryan was starting out.  I'd go as far as saying, that if Ryan was starting out today, ... with his ability to throw it past people, ... he's be slotted as a closer. Bard's best career option, in my opinion, is in the pen. He certainly has talent.  Unless he wants to completely evolve into something he's yet to show the RS are wasting him in the rotation.  But, that only underscores the fact the the FO has done a poor job of constructing their roster. The season is still early bit the RS are behind and fading.  The need to ramp it up or start thinking abour nert year.  Frankly, I hope it's the former because the AL East racce is far more interesting WITH the RS than without.  
    Posted by heobrien

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to What needs to happen:
    First thing is first, DFA Mcdonald and Punto. Call up Ciriaco and Linares. Give Buchholz one more start, if he pitches like he has been pitching put him on the DL, call up Melancon and input Vincente Padilla in the starting rotation. We don't need a big blockbuster trade. It will leave our farm system more dry than before. As soon as DiceK comes off the DL put him in for Padilla. When Buchholz comes off the DL put him in Bards spot and send him to the bullpen (Only if he continues to only being able to throw 90 pitches per game) his most valuable aspect to this team at the moment is being able to shut down at any point in the game. The most important thing that needs to happen is as soon as we get a day off these guys need to get together and do something to help them bond. Chemistry is the biggest thing that effects sports teams.
    Posted by zack5042

So you really want to fix this team? The most important thing that needs to happen is that the sox have a real bad year. Not just a couple months, it has to fall apart. Their off to a good start lets hope it continues. We need change and thats the only way !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

In Response to What needs to happen : Why would you DFA to bench players to call up prospects to sit on the bench?
    Posted by fivekatz

As you can see, Mcdonald is getting a lot of playing time. Linares won't be sitting on the bench that much. He will usually have a spot out there for him. For Ciriaco he's hardly a prospect anymore. Call him up and see what he can do. May be a small sample size but he has a .333 batting average in 39 AB's in the ML

Sections
Shortcuts