WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING?????

ANOTHER GOOD VISION BY THEO !!  MY GOODNESS, WHAT GOOOOD STRIDES  SALTY HAS MADE !!  AND TITO IS USING  J T JUST RIGHT !!! WHAT SAY YOU, ALL YOU SMART  WAN-A-BEE'S   ????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING?????

THATS GOOOOOOOD...... NO COMPLAINTS !!!!   GREAT JOB THEO & TITO TOO !!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING?????:
    [QUOTE]   ANOTHER GOOD VISION BY THEO !!  MY GOODNESS, WHAT GOOOOD STRIDES  SALTY HAS MADE !!  AND TITO IS USING  J T JUST RIGHT !!! WHAT SAY YOU, ALL YOU SMART  WAN-A-BEE'S   ????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Nothing to complain about with our catching Bill.  Jason has done his job as mentor and with our staff, while Salty has met or exceeded most of our expectations so far.  Theo wanted Salty for almost four years before actually getting him and it's obvious why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

depending on the Sox AA/AAA catchers and/or the FO's plans, this may be the place Salty gets a real chance to deliver on all that promise Texas must have originally saw...a tough road traveled for a guy still reasonably young...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If Salty wasn't hitting well, there would be plenty to complain about. 15 PBs is nothing to sneeze at, and for all the defenders who attribute them to Wake, Vmart had 4 PBs all of last year.
    He is cumbersome and has no agility behind the plate. People who can't see that are just in denial (probably liberals).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING?????:
    [QUOTE]If Salty wasn't hitting well, there would be plenty to complain about. 15 PBs is nothing to sneeze at, and for all the defenders who attribute them to Wake, Vmart had 4 PBs all of last year. He is cumbersome and has no agility behind the plate. People who can't see that are just in denial (probably liberals).
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Alibiike, Look up Teks first few years in the majors, they were very similar.  Salty has also had a steady diet of Wake so give him some time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]If Salty wasn't hitting well, there would be plenty to complain about. 15 PBs is nothing to sneeze at, and for all the defenders who attribute them to Wake, Vmart had 4 PBs all of last year. He is cumbersome and has no agility behind the plate. People who can't see that are just in denial (probably liberals).
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]VMart was remarkably good with Wake in terms of PB.

But I don't think I can ever remember a guy getting thrown out stealing in Wakefield start before this year.

Salty does have a bit of a "5 hole" to use a hockey term, but his throwing which was a major concern coming off of his Texas experience has been remarkably good.

The fact that he is throwing out 30% of the runners and catches Wake is a very pleasant metric IMO. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING????? : VMart was remarkably good with Wake in terms of PB. But I don't think I can ever remember a guy getting thrown out stealing in Wakefield start before this year. Salty does have a bit of a "5 hole" to use a hockey term, but his throwing which was a major concern coming off of his Texas experience has been remarkably good. The fact that he is throwing out 30% of the runners and catches Wake is a very pleasant metric IMO. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

It's definitely nice to finally have another catcher who can contain base runners.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I bend towards (or way past) liberal thoughts, but I am not in denial.  yes, the PBs are not a plus.  But, a. much of this is due to Wake and b. catching Wake was V-Mart best defensive attribute.  I would actually say the reverse.  You might be in denial of the fact that Salty has grown by leaps and bounds behind the plate this year.  Still not Carlton Fisk by any measure, but should be very acceptable to Sox fans, especially since the biggest defensive liability of recent years, teams feeling free to run at will on the Sox, is suddenly no gimme anymore.  Yes, he does not have the optimum catchers physique, I can accept your 'cumbersome' tag.  But to say he has no agility is definitely denial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

You are in denial.  VMart can't throw anyone out.  Salty is cutting them down with ease.  If passed balls are all you got?  Come on.  The Sox are rolling with him behind the plate.  For you to continue to complain means you are simply a complainer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING????? : You are in denial.  VMart can't throw anyone out.  Salty is cutting them down with ease.  If passed balls are all you got?  Come on.  The Sox are rolling with him behind the plate.  For you to continue to complain means you are simply a complainer.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]   GOOD POST JIM !!   YOU HAVE BEEN AWAY ? I HOPE IT WAS FOR A GOOD VACATION . WELCOME BACK, SON !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Ok.  I'll complain.  Their equipment is smelly after the games.  Deal with THAT complaint.

The only issue I have is watching Varitek flail at pitches when he bats left-handed.  Call good games, hit more than enough, even throw out batters.  Sox C's are fine by me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING????? :    GOOD POST JIM !!   YOU HAVE BEEN AWAY ? I HOPE IT WAS FOR A GOOD VACATION . WELCOME BACK, SON !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

I have been here Bill.  We just have not crossed paths.  I'm looking for a good vacation!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But I don't think I can ever remember a guy getting thrown out stealing in Wakefield start before this year. 

This is one of a few common misconceptions of Wake and his knuckleball. Here are 3:

1) He is bad as often as good. (He actually puts his team in a position to win about 65-
    70% of the time in 2011, 2010 to 2011, 2009 to 2011, 2008 to 2011, or 2007 to 2011).

2) Wake is wild. (Wake has the lowest BB/9 rate of all Red Sox starters from 2010-2011 at 2.5.)

3) Wake's flutterball makes stealing bases near automatic or much worse than other Sox starters. (Here's the numbers; 2011: 4 SB/ 6 CS, 2010: 24 SB/ 5 CS, 2009: 23 SB/ 3CS, 2008: 27 SB/ 10 CS. 4 year total: 68 SB/ 24 CS or 83%. While 83% stinks, the Sox as a whole had this SB% against: 2011: 74%, 2011: 80%, 2009: 87%, 2008: 75%, Team4 year total: 80%. Wake's SB% has only been 3% higher than the team rate.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Clearly, Wakefield is better in every category than people thing they see. Fortunately, we have Moonslow to point out how Wakefield has been about as good as any other #3 starter, up from #4 and up from #5.

Remember, Moonslow doesn't really like Wakefield. Altruism is his motive, not partiality. Come to think of it, I can't think of a better starter value option over the last 2 years than Wakefield. His best years will be after 50.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Clearly, Wakefield is better in every category than people thing they see. Fortunately, we have Moonslow to point out how Wakefield has been about as good as any other #3 starter, up from #4 and up from #5. Remember, Moonslow doesn't really like Wakefield. Altruism is his motive, not partiality. Come to think of it, I can't think of a better starter value option over the last 2 years than Wakefield. His best years will be after 50.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]  IS THAT YOU SOFTY ????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great call by Theo and his team because they have been watching Salty for a long time.  I thought it was a huge gamble and am very impressed with the results, including keeping Tek around.   I see one more year of this tanden because I don't think Lavarnway is ready to be a MLB catcher.  Hitter, maybe. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING????? : VMart was remarkably good with Wake in terms of PB. But I don't think I can ever remember a guy getting thrown out stealing in Wakefield start before this year. Salty does have a bit of a "5 hole" to use a hockey term, but his throwing which was a major concern coming off of his Texas experience has been remarkably good. The fact that he is throwing out 30% of the runners and catches Wake is a very pleasant metric IMO. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

5K,
    This is exactly my point on a thread i started a couple days ago..Salty is turning into the catcher most thought he could be..Is he an AS? no, not yet..But by the looks of how this kid is progressing, Id say that an AS appearence is not out of the question in the future..
    http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3adf1c7319-45b5-4bef-919d-38534bcee9d9

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Ignoring the fact that Salty has been catching Wake, and the Victor was one of the best Wake-Catcher's we've ever seen:

Salty
    84 Steal Attempts = A Steal Attempt every .86 games
    58 SB in 73 games results in a stolen base every 1.2 games
    26 CS in 73 games results in a runner thrown out every 2.8 games.
    15 PB in 73 games results in a passed ball every 4.8 games.

Over a course of 162:
    188.3 STEAL ATTEMPTS
    135 STOLEN BASES
    57.8 CAUGHT STEALING
    33.75 PASSED BALLS

Victor (of 2010)
    126 Steal Attempts = A Steal Attempt every .87 games
    99 SB in 110 games results in a stolen base every 1.1 games.
    27 CS in 110 games results in a runner thrown out every 4.0 games.
    4 PB in 110 games results in a PB every 27.5 games.

Over a course of 162:
    186 STEAL ATTEMPTS
    147.2 STOLEN BASES
    40.5 CAUGHT STEALING
    5.8 PASSED BALLS

Viewing those lines, their stats seem very similar in terms of defensive catchers. Over a full season Victor allows 27 less runners to second because of passed balls, but Salty allows 12 less runners to second because of steals, and elimates 12 more runners from base all together! In my opinion Salty has a slight edge (eliminating nearly the same number of runners from base all together is better than preventing them from getting to second) purely by numbers without any seasonal variables such as Salty being nowhere as good as Victor at catching the knuckleball.

My confidence in Salty is more placed in just raw numbers and Victor's ability to catch Wake skewing things, its also that we have not seen the Salty of the early season and I do not feel that we will. Salty was clearly uncomfortable behind the plate at first, I have yet to be able to find defensive game logs, but if I could I am sure we would see an extremely high PB rate in the first 2 weeks of the season skewing his seasonal numbers. Salty's chance in Boston has led to his flourishing. I look forward to seeing a full season of the Salty we've seen 3/4's of this one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING????? : I bend towards (or way past) liberal thoughts, but I am not in denial.  yes, the PBs are not a plus.  But, a. much of this is due to Wake and b. catching Wake was V-Mart best defensive attribute.  I would actually say the reverse.  You might be in denial of the fact that Salty has grown by leaps and bounds behind the plate this year.  Still not Carlton Fisk by any measure, but should be very acceptable to Sox fans, especially since the biggest defensive liability of recent years, teams feeling free to run at will on the Sox, is suddenly no gimme anymore.  Yes, he does not have the optimum catchers physique, I can accept your 'cumbersome' tag.  But to say he has no agility is definitely denial.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You actually think Salty is agile? Neither Atlanta or Texas believed he was their solution behind the plate. He is adequate, but so was Vmart, and to a man, Vmart was much better at blocking balls and moving behind the plate. Salty may have a stronger arm, and his CS rate has improved, but he is still slothful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT, NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CATCHING????? : You actually think Salty is agile? Neither Atlanta or Texas believed he was their solution behind the plate. He is adequate, but so was Vmart, and to a man, Vmart was much better at blocking balls and moving behind the plate. Salty may have a stronger arm, and his CS rate has improved, but he is still slothful.

Eh, ok.  We'll have to agree to disagree I guess on this one.  I agree that he does not have a physique optimal for a catcher, but I would not call him slothful at all.  As for the Atlanta and Texas thing, I don't know.  His mechanics were awful and never got much better in his time in those organizations.  I have watched him, in the span of a year, go from the horrible catcher that he was with those clubs, to a very adequate defensive catcher.  So, to me, that either says something great about Gary Tuck and his boys, or something bad about the Rangers and Braves' ability to teach the kid.  Same goes for his hitting really.  

I think maybe you are not willing to see how much he has developed because you have taken a hard line on him and don't want to be wrong.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

It's August and VAritek can hardly stand up, much less try and find an acorn at the plate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts