What no Lackey complaing threads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

What no Lackey complaing threads

So no one has any complaints about Lackey????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: What no Lackey complaing threads

Not when we score 16 runs Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

not sure what your point is, jim. 4 ERs over six innings is not exactly performing to expectation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Yes, he is doing better than lousy! But, is he pitching like the Millions he is making?  Hell No!  I want a lot more than 5 innings!  And, consistent commanding pitching!  So, yes he did better than lousy, but still has a lot to prove!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Two decent starts.  No world beater, but definitely a contributor.  I never thought putting him on the DL would help, but it did. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't understand this preoccupation with a player's salaries.  It's not MY money so I don't care how much he's making.  All I care about is how well a player is playing and what his contribution is to the team.

In the case of John Lackey, he's not pitching like an ace but he is pitching like a solid #4.  The fact that he's getting ace money doesn't matter to me at all, especially as long as he's pitching well enough to post the W's.

He's the property of the Sox and I believe he's giving 100% every time he takes the mound.  I don't see how it's constructive or productive to compare his W/L record and ERA to other pitchers making the same money.  He is what he is and the money doesn't matter.... at least to me. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I don't like John Lackey. I've never liked John Lackey. I remembered him as the Angels "ace" who the Sox easily took care of. And then as the Angels "ace" who would call out his teammates after losses, and who, in 2008, blamed his team for not being able to beat the Sox, who in his opinion where the weaker team. Or his comments about Pedroia celebrating a double that "would have been an out anywhere else". So I didn't care much for him before Boston.

When they signed him, I had two positive thoughts. 1) I was just happy they signed someone I knew, and 2) I tend to think guys will play as well or better with the Sox than they have elsewhere. At no time did I think he was worth the money or was a legit "ace". People seem to think that he's just going through a rough spot and he'll bounce back....but what's he bouncing back to? Check his history, he was never an "ace" but most definitions to start with....

Obviously I want him to win because it means the team wins, but I don't care for him, and don't care if it's him or someone else giving them decent starts from the 4th starter spot.

But good for him. Today, he won a game in which his team scored 16 runs...against the 4th best team in the division, as they're in a slump, while the Sox are beyond hot...when he gets past the 2nd inning without sweating through his uniform and the 5th inning arrives with him still in the game in September against the Yankees, then I'll give him credit. But your worst starter against two teams playing terrible baseball is probably a 50/50 shot, it just happened to work out for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: What no Lackey complaing threads:
    [QUOTE]not sure what your point is, jim. 4 ERs over six innings is not exactly performing to expectation.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Don't you think the score dictates how a pitcher approaches the game?  Lackey threw up goose eggs for the first three innings.  After the Sox scored 5, don't you think he would be going right after hitters and pitching to contact?  Did you read this quote?  "The right-hander was charged with four runs on six hits and two walks while having to wait through two innings in which the Red Sox batted around."  He spoke about continuing to build arm strength after the stint on the DL yet he gets no slack.  Sorry, based on the game situation, I am completely fine with his effort.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to What no Lackey complaing threads:
    [QUOTE]So no one has any complaints about Lackey????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

You asked for it, Jim.  You should have requested modest props instead. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to What no Lackey complaing threads:
    [QUOTE]So no one has any complaints about Lackey????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

I wasn't thrilled with him.  He was behind on the count much of the time, falling off the mound to the left and continuing to try to hit the outside corner on right handed hitters (never got a single call from the umpire).  His velocity topped out at only 92 mph.  Would you like me to go on? 

One thing for sure, he should never pitch against the Yankees. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Ok, another way to look at it. What's Lackey done in his career to suggest we should support him? Ignore his rough start to this year. Why should we expect great things from John Lackey?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, another way to look at it. What's Lackey done in his career to suggest we should support him? Ignore his rough start to this year. Why should we expect great things from John Lackey?
    Posted by Modano09[/QUOTE]

He wears a Red Sox uniform.  That's good enough for me.  And while I may not expect great things from him, I'm hoping he plays well enough to give the team a chance to win every time he pitches.  That's another way to look at it instead of feeling self-satisfied that maybe you knew better than the Red Sox front office and you can find some sort of rightous justification for bashing him.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What no Lackey complaing threads : He wears a Red Sox uniform.  That's good enough for me.  And while I may not expect great things from him, I'm hoping he plays well enough to give the team a chance to win every time he pitches.  That's another way to look at it instead of feeling self-satisfied that maybe you knew better than the Red Sox front office and you can find some sort of rightous justification for bashing him.   
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

You're 100 percent correct.

Since when is it a sin to root for a player who plays for the team you root for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What no Lackey complaing threads : I'm hoping he plays well enough to give the team a chance to win every time he pitches.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]Just what you want from your #4 starter yeah?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What no Lackey complaing threads : Just what you want from your #4 starter yeah?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

True.  But with a very expensive price tag.  I'm glad I'm not directly footing the bill, but even if I were, you make the best of it and try to get the most out of the situation. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

One of Slackey's better games, 4 Earned runs, 2 Walks, 1 Homer, 8 K's and 6 innings. Despite the arbitrary definition of "quality start", this was a marginal start worthy of a bottom half of the rotation pitcher.  He didn't need to make his normal excuses because had so many runs to work with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Lackey has hardly been lights out in his two starts back. His biggest problem is when someone gets on, he can't get out of jams. 

In his first start when he came off the DL, he allowed just three hits and two walks in 5.2 innings. That's an excellent WHIP. But three runners scores.

Saturday, he was allowed six hits and two walks in 6.0 IP. Not bad, but four runners scored.

In two starts back, he's 2-0 with a 5.38 ERA. Not a great ERA and obviously he needed some offense and bullpen help to get those two wins. However, it's a lot better than 3-5 with an 8.01 ERA.

Considering where he was before the DL, he seems to be headed in the right direction. Hopefully, he can build on it. He's the No. 4 starter, so if he goes 9-6 the rest of the year with and ERA in the low 4.00s for a 13-11 4.50 ERA (give or take) overall season, it might not be worth the money but it will be better than most team's No. 4 (even No. 3 for many) starter.

And who knows? Maybe as he gets arm strength back, he pitches like the No. 2 starter (for most teams) that I think he's capable of being. (No. 2-like, not that he'll be No. 2 on the Sox).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And if you think Lackey was a bad deal, just look at the contract the Giants gave Barry Zito.  In spite of that, they still managed to win a World Series because of a top notch pitching staff.  This is an organization with a smaller payroll that can be more crippled by such albatross contracts.  Lackey is hardly an albatross by comparison. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The key is his velocity. He was pitching with a problematic elbow before his DL stint. He threw 91-93 today with strong movement on his breaking stuff.
    That's an encouraging sign.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey has hardly been lights out in his two starts back. His biggest problem is when someone gets on, he can't get out of jams.  In his first start when he came off the DL, he allowed just three hits and two walks in 5.2 innings. That's an excellent WHIP. But three runners scores. Saturday, he was allowed six hits and two walks in 6.0 IP. Not bad, but four runners scored. In two starts back, he's 2-0 with a 5.38 ERA. Not a great ERA and obviously he needed some offense and bullpen help to get those two wins. However, it's a lot better than 3-5 with an 8.01 ERA. Considering where he was before the DL, he seems to be headed in the right direction. Hopefully, he can build on it. He's the No. 4 starter, so if he goes 9-6 the rest of the year with and ERA in the low 4.00s for a 13-11 4.50 ERA (give or take) overall season, it might not be worth the money but it will be better than most team's No. 4 (even No. 3 for many) starter. And who knows? Maybe as he gets arm strength back, he pitches like the No. 2 starter (for most teams) that I think he's capable of being. (No. 2-like, not that he'll be No. 2 on the Sox).
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

And who really gave a sh-t about those last two runs today anyway? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Remember: Cortisone can only help relieve symptoms not the underlying cause. So keep your fingers crossed with Lackey. 

GO SOX!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Lackey is looking like he might work out well as a very expensive fourth starter. Far from the worse case scenario but far from ideal. A few more starts should give a better idea.