What one player via trade could Salty Morales Sweeney and Ciriaco bring to the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

What one player via trade could Salty Morales Sweeney and Ciriaco bring to the Sox

I will leave this discussion open are these players worth the attention for a 4 for 1 deal and what teams will be interested.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: What one player via trade could Salty Morales Sweeney and Ciriaco bring to the Sox

I would aim for Logan Morrison of the Marlins or Adam Dunn of the CHW.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Re: What one player via trade could Salty Morales Sweeney and Ciriaco bring to the Sox

any time you want to offer 4 for 1 than you know the 1 is tons better than the 4 and very few contending teams would be interested in downgrading and those teams that are rebuilding ain't gonna be interested in second rate vets but might go for 2 or 3 top prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

I will leave this discussion open are these players worth the attention for a 4 for 1 deal and what teams will be interested.

That's one year of 27-year-old Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a projected $3.9 million, two years of nearly 27-year-old Franklin Morales starting with a projected 2013 salary of $1.4 million, one year of 27-year-old Ryan Sweeney at a projected $1.8 million and five years of 27-year-old Pedro Ciriaco. Only Saltalamacchia at 2.0 posted a WAR* above 1.0 last season, although Sweeney and Circiaco appeared in only 63 and 76 games, respectively.

At those ages, their ceilings aren't particularly high. I suspect a team would be reluctant to take all four in a package that would cost about $7.5 million in 2013 salaries.

For those reasons, I can't come up with a proposal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's one year of 27-year-old Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a projected $3.9 million, two years of nearly 27-year-old Franklin Morales starting with a projected 2013 salary of $1.4 million, one year of 27-year-old Ryan Sweeney at a projected $1.8 million and five years of 27-year-old Pedro Ciriaco. Only Saltalamacchia at 2.0 posted a WAR* above 1.0 last season, although Sweeney and Circiaco appeared in only 63 and 76 games, respectively.

At those ages, their ceilings aren't particularly high. I suspect a team would be reluctant to take all four in a package that would cost about $7.5 million in 2013 salaries.

For those reasons, I can't come up with a proposal.

[/QUOTE]

First of all, if Boston is going to trade two bench players, meaning they have to find another two bench players to replace these two guys.  It is probably more costly to sign couple free agent players than keeping them.  Ben C. isnt going to do this trade.  Ciraro is probably more a worthly bench player than getting Dunn or whoever people mentioned above!!

If they are being use as a trade bait for Justin Uston, or etc, then I would be fine with that

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We shouldn't trade Ciriaco just to let Iggy play.  Iggy's offense is too much of a liability and Ciriaco is the better player right now.  I think he may improve even more next season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

First of all, if Boston is going to trade two bench players, meaning they have to find another two bench players to replace these two guys.  It is probably more costly to sign couple free agent players than keeping them.  Ben C. isnt going to do this trade.  Ciraro is probably more a worthly bench player than getting Dunn or whoever people mentioned above!!

That's why a team has a farm system.

A pre-arbitration player earning the league minimum could at least approach if not exceed the production of some of these players.

The trade market is limited for three unspectacular players in arbitration years with only one or two years of team control.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What team has 3 or 4 roster spots they can free up. If you want to trade Salty trade him even up or with a good prospect for a position player you need.

RE: Sweeney--DFA him he will probably clear waivers.Ciriaco and Morales are more valuable to the Sox and should be kept unless they get an excellent offer.

A trade that might help the Sox the most might be with the Indians for Asdrubal, Choo, Perez, the closer, and Masterson or Ubaldo.      Break ties with Ells, Lester, Bard,Bailey,Brentz and Iggy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

These four players are major league ready, so it makes sense that the team acquiring the four would be looking to win now.  The average age of these players is ~27.  Usually, a team looking for ML ready players over 25 isnt looking to deal from their major league roster.

If we were to deal these four, here's what I would do.  I would remove Ciriaco from the list.  I would trade the remaing three to a contender for 2 solid prospects (but not top tier because this package doesnt warrant top tier prospects).  I would then tkae those 2 solid prospects, and trade them with Ciriaco , Owens and Webster for JUPP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

You are breaking the area of catching to trade Saltalamachia to go with a rookie who cannot hit and a career backup. Then you are trading away a good utility player who kills the Yankees. Question why would you want to do that ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ciriaco and Sweeney don't really have much value.  Sweeney is a good candidate for DFA.  And lots of teams have someone like Ciriaco in the minors.  Salty has value as does Morales, but I'm not sure they land you much.  They could land of a run-of-the-mill type of corner OF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What team has 3 or 4 roster spots they can free up. If you want to trade Salty trade him even up or with a good prospect for a position player you need.

RE: Sweeney--DFA him he will probably clear waivers.Ciriaco and Morales are more valuable to the Sox and should be kept unless they get an excellent offer.

A trade that might help the Sox the most might be with the Indians for Asdrubal, Choo, Perez, the closer, and Masterson or Ubaldo.      Break ties with Ells, Lester, Bard,Bailey,Brentz and Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

I have been a huge fan of Ciriaco since last years ST and bringing him up ASAP last season, along with maybe two or three other fans.  His energy and ability to come up with a big hit was one of the few bright spots we had last season.  Iggy is still young, still talked about constantly but in no way ready to join a lineup that also features Salty as C.  I do believe Salty gets traded, if not and it's Lav I truly believe someone will be getting a very good C in a year or two.

If this team can regain a team OBP between 360/370 like our WC teams of 04 and 07 we have a chance if the pitching holds up.  We will not, as I have repeated for the past few years, win or compete with guys like Iggy and Salty unless they are surrounded by talented hitters. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we would get fleeced if this trade went down. Much more talent going to the Indians than were getting back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In baseball trades, four quarters do not make a dollar.

And he real problem here is, two of the main pieces in that package (Sweeney and Ciriaco) are all but worthless as trade chips.  So that leaves you trying to get some major pieces for Saltalamacchia and Morales, which even further kills the analogy, because nowhere can you get a dollar for TWO quarters.

For that package, you might be able to get a return of David DeJesus and Carlos Marmol.   The Marlins might surrender Escobar andmaybe another, although they would draw severe criticism and the deal might get nixed by the Commish if it was Ricky Nolasco.   Certainly the Rangers and Mets would be interested.  The Rangers might build a package around Mitch Moreland, but I am not how enticing that figures to be.   I do not see a matchup with the Mets.