What purpose does Cameron serve?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

What purpose does Cameron serve?

Last year a lot of us thought the aquisition of Mike was a bad move but because of injury he was given a free pass.  This year Mike has been just as invisible while healthy so why not bring up a youngster and buy out, or trade Mike?  I would rather see Linares, Reddick or Kalish get a chance to grow even though none are doing that well in AAA. 

Drew and Cameron are one problem we could deal with sooner rather than next season when their contracts expire.  Like having Tek and Salty hitting a combined 210, even though they have had a couple recent contributions.  Crawford may just be going through a tough start in Boston but chances are he recovers unlike the others.

Its good to see us back around the top but our pitching is only one issue we need to address.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: What purpose does Cameron serve?

Kalish is hurt and Reddick and Linares need to play every day and aren't ready. 

Cameron is a fourth OF. What do you expect from a fourth OF. Yeah, he's not hitting well right now, but he's just a reserve. Personally, I think his average will eventually come around.

Drew is Drew. He plays great RF. His bat is about mediocre right now, but he might have one more hot streak in him before he's done. There no need to rush the youngsters. Reddick and Kalish had their chances last year to show they're ready. While both showed spurts, they also showed they're not ready.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve?:
    Kalish is hurt and Reddick and Linares need to play every day and aren't ready.  Cameron is a fourth OF. What do you expect from a fourth OF. Yeah, he's not hitting well right now, but he's just a reserve. Personally, I think his average will eventually come around. Drew is Drew. He plays great RF. His bat is about mediocre right now, but he might have one more hot streak in him before he's done. There no need to rush the youngsters. Reddick and Kalish had their chances last year to show they're ready. While both showed spurts, they also showed they're not ready.
    Posted by royf19

I understand but if this continues like last season why wait on a hope and prayer?  We could at the very least possibly get a decent prospect for either, even if we pay a portion of their salary in the trade.  I know Theo's loyalty has alaways been his biggest fault but if you can grab something before we get nothing why not try?

Do you honestly believe JD who failed to step up after all the injuries last season will be any different when really needed.  Cam is like Tek in my opinion, you may see a big hit every once in awhile but old legs and a 200 BA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Cameron single handedly did one great thing since his signing - he destroyed the UZR proponents once and for all with his uselessness on the field (and at the plate) since he was gifted 15 million dollars by Theo....the bad part was that before that happened, he took Ells out of CF and onto the DL for an entire season...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

Cameron single handedly did one great thing since his signing - he destroyed the UZR proponents once and for all with his uselessness on the field (and at the plate) since he was gifted 15 million dollars by Theo....the bad part was that before that happened, he took Ells out of CF and onto the DL for an entire season...
    Posted by georom4

Harsh georom but rI like your style.  I didn't wake up this moring with my mind set on bashing Cam but fact are facts.  When it comes time for guys like Varitek, Cam and Wake to retire our management should at least see the light. I'm happy with our "off season" accuisition of Crawford and AGon because they should give us a lot of productive years.  My problem are things like watching the same type catching duo that hasn't worked since 2006 and having two unproductive RF's finish out contracts they never earned.

I like our team but lets get out with the old and fragile and in with the new.  If we can find a way to bring Bautista to Boston as a FA we may finally have another good addition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

JC Linares is done for the season with ankle surgery, kalish is still on the DL for his shoulder. Reddick is the only one available. Im wondering why they dont use DMac that much. All these guys like Cam and Drew will be gone next year. Nobody will take them in a trade unless they eat most, if not all of the contract. Def need more production out of the RF position IMO, but its not killing them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

JC Linares is done for the season with ankle surgery, kalish is still on the DL for his shoulder. Reddick is the only one available. Im wondering why they dont use DMac that much. All these guys like Cam and Drew will be gone next year. Nobody will take them in a trade unless they eat most, if not all of the contract. Def need more production out of the RF position IMO, but its not killing them.
    Posted by southpaw777

I agree our options may be thin and also don't agree with the Sox treament of Mcdon  but there are options out there that could be explored.  One option could be whether Lowrie could adapt to RF to make room for Iglesias getting a "Pedroia type" crash course to the majors at SS when scuter comes back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

If Cameron keeps this up he'll be playing his way out of town by the trading deadline... even if that means having the Sox pay virtually all of his salary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

Why is it always the same small group of posters who are so impatient and always critical. Are you on a commission?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Why is it always the same small group of posters who are so impatient and always critical. Are you on a commission?
    Posted by Babe-Ted

Impatient?  We was bad last year when he was healthy and has been bad again this year.  How much longer are you willing to wait?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

If Cameron keeps this up he'll be playing his way out of town by the trading deadline... even if that means having the Sox pay virtually all of his salary.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

I think you may be right so maybe patience is a vurtue because we are playing pretty well with a beat up staff and other obvious weaknesses.

Good night guys!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I like Cameron and his defense has been good. As a fourth outfielder, I don't expect a lot of offense. But if he's still hitting below .200 by the end of June, then yeah, I'd consider trading for a fourth OF or calling up one of the kids.

As for Drew, Farm, do I expect JD to step up. Who knows? Look at how many were writing off Ortiz two years ago and last May. He may end up muddling along at around .250 with the occasional big hit. If he keeps playing good defense, that might be enough with this offense. No need to rush the kids unnecessarily.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

actually, considering Crawford's and Drew's offensive numbers, Cameron is a bit of a step up offensively.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : I agree our options may be thin and also don't agree with the Sox treament of Mcdon  but there are options out there that could be explored.  One option could be whether Lowrie could adapt to RF to make room for Iglesias getting a "Pedroia type" crash course to the majors at SS when scuter comes back.
    Posted by FarmFan

I think that is a possibility. A decent shortstop can probably play any position on the field, except catcher of course. Lowrie could be a decent right fielder if he continues to hit..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Roy, Cam wasn't signed to be a "4th outfielder".
    You don't spend 16 mil on a "4th outfielder".

He was signed to play CF with Jake moving to left. Now, he's been downgraded to a
    platoon. And so far, he isn't cutting it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Roy , Cam wasn't signed to be a "4th outfielder". You don't spend 16 mil on a "4th outfielder". He was signed to play CF with Jake moving to left. Now, he's been downgraded to a platoon . And so far, he isn't cutting it.
    Posted by harness

That was for last year. This year was probably up in the air. If Cameron and Ellsbury played all of last year, it would have been interesting to see if Crawford would have been signed.

I think he would have because the Sox still would need two OF next year (replace Cameron and Drew). So they still might have signed Crawford since Cameron's deal runs out this year.

But regardless, he's a fourth OF now. He's doing OK defensively, but I said in two posts already, he's not cutting it as a hitter. The fact that he is the fourth OF now makes it unnecessary to make rushed decisions.

Like I said. By the end of June, if he's still not hitting, then go find a fourth OF for the stretch run.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

I wish that people would use contract per yr. on their figures. Cameron is $8 mil. per yr. ending this year. The year is short and he was insurance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

this is not a video game. not every player will hit well or pitch well in a given season. but management seems ok with Cameron right now. does anyone think they will simply cut him? and who will replace him?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Kalish is hurt and Reddick and Linares need to play every day and aren't ready.  Cameron is a fourth OF. What do you expect from a fourth OF. Yeah, he's not hitting well right now, but he's just a reserve. Personally, I think his average will eventually come around. Drew is Drew. He plays great RF. His bat is about mediocre right now, but he might have one more hot streak in him before he's done. There no need to rush the youngsters. Reddick and Kalish had their chances last year to show they're ready. While both showed spurts, they also showed they're not ready.
    Posted by royf19

He's 38 and a .250 career hitter. Not a lot of room for imporvement anyways.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

he is a righty fourth outfielder. his contract is up at the end of the year. unless someone falls in their laps i see the Sox sticking with him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : He's 38 and a .250 career hitter. Not a lot of room for imporvement anyways.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie

Not very good with math, are you.

He's batting about .142. Getting to .250 would raise his average more than 100 points. Seems to me, there's a lot of room for improvement.

And as a full-time, he was good for 20-plus homers so he has some pop. If he can find that stroke, he'll be a great bat/glove on the bench as a fourth OF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

They are not playing D Mac because he is back down to earth.  There is a reason he was in the minors for 10 years.  He is a AAA player at best.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

he is a righty fourth outfielder. his contract is up at the end of the year. unless someone falls in their laps i see the Sox sticking with him.
    Posted by sgtnull
    Exactly. And his history is that he mashes LH pitching.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : Exactly. And his history is that he mashes LH pitching.
    Posted by carnie

Sammy Sosa also historically mashed lefty pitching. Do yuo want to being him back based on the past?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : Sammy Sosa also historically mashed lefty pitching. Do yuo want to being him back based on the past?
    Posted by StatsFromLouie
    Other than the fact rhat Sosa's been retired for a few years and Cam has been active all this time, I suppose the comparison might be apt.

Sections
Shortcuts