What purpose does Cameron serve?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: What purpose does Cameron serve?

I'm gonna go with the "he's all done.... Nothin left in the tank!!!" routine.......

Hey!  It worked when I started saying the same thing about Beckett :)  :)

So I'm a little superstitious :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : That was for last year. This year was probably up in the air. If Cameron and Ellsbury played all of last year, it would have been interesting to see if Crawford would have been signed. I think he would have because the Sox still would need two OF next year (replace Cameron and Drew). So they still might have signed Crawford since Cameron's deal runs out this year. But regardless, he's a fourth OF now. He's doing OK defensively, but I said in two posts already, he's not cutting it as a hitter. The fact that he is the fourth OF now makes it unnecessary to make rushed decisions. Like I said. By the end of June, if he's still not hitting, then go find a fourth OF for the stretch run.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Still disagree, Roy. Drew/Cam represent a platoon. Period. I don't like labeling players, but it we have to go there, Mac is really the extra outfielder.
    No 4th outfielder in baseball makes 8 mil a year.

Players involved in a platoon are paid accordingly. He was never signed to be a
    4th out-fielder. Never. Signing CC allowed for an expensive platoon. Keeping Drew away from lefties with the expanded strike zone is a no-brainer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

Cameron supplies Tito's bubblegum?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Cameron sit on the bench most of the time. He usually sits 3 to 4 days between any action. He doesn't play enough for his BA to mean anything. He homered twice in one of the few games he's started. He and Drew are the only really good OF defenders the Red Sox have. Crawford is not moving well, which is likely a by-product of years of a pounding running style and his career contract season. Crawford was high mileage because he's been playing MLB for a long time on that Tampa concrete hard surface. He also has the antithesis of a graceful stride.

Because of the mileage and the career averages, Crawford is and will be a big bust for the 142M superstar price tag. He's not and never will be superstar. That's why they are called superstar. AGon is one, which is why that was the linchpin move that had to be made this winter.  

There was a lot of vitriol because he was brought in to upgrade the CF defense. This lead to the popular Bellsbury being moved. George blames Cameron for Ellsbury getting hurt, which is a reflection of how someone who looks like Cameron is perceived by most Red Sox fans.

Cameron made sense only if he was going to be an everday player. With Drew, Theo is spending about 21.25M for RF. Add Crawford, and he's spending 41.25 M for LF and RF. For one full-time player and one platoon player v. some LHP starters, that exceeds the entire payroll of the Rays. If it was producing at a way higher level, the big market excuse could be used. But it's not. Crawford has been pitiful long enough to where even a surge over the next 4 months will not make up for the lost value to date. Drew's in his last contract year, and his high contract was a result of Theo bidding against himself. At least Drew can still play some very solid all around defense in RF.

The decision was made to spend 142M on Crawford, which meant that as pitiful as Crawford has been, that 20M will be out there all year. Although Ellsbury is not lighting it up on OBP or splits against LHP, the decision was made to platoon the 21.25 million in RF.

Cameron and Drew come off the books at year end. Crawford is the long term Ellsbury replacement. The Red Sox had better be combing the market for a corner RH MLB ready OF'er, and capture Ellsbury's value by dealing him with 2 years of remaining arbitration and moving Kalish or farm hand up the ladder and adding a solid young RH OF'er.  

I seriously doubt that middle management will write off the remainder of the 21.25M spent on Drew and Cameron this year.

The better question is, what purpose does Mac serve?

There is no chance Lowrie has the wheels to play the OF on an everyday basis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]he's going to go on a homer streak; he runs well, fields well; his average would be much higher if he played more; it's tough just playing once or twice a week, hitting rhythm wise; give the dude a shot, it's just May; drove in the winning run tonight with deep sac fly
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

I am yet to see evidence of any homer streaks.  If you take his 2 HR game out of the equation, he's like a .100 hitter this season with no long balls.  Maybe he's still adjusting to his part time role, but do realize that if he doesn't improve within the next month or two, he'll be out.  Having a 4th OF'er is key to this team especially when you consider Drew's injury history as well as recent history against lefties.  Right now, Cameron just isn't getting the job done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Inactivity is  O.K. as an excuse for Cam, but not for Wake.  More bias.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wake doesn't hit, he throws a goodball that only requries familiarity. The Cubs were swinging too frequently at it, but started to adjust the 3rd time through.

If Wake didn't have inactivity, he's be in traction already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

How about ZERO!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : Still disagree, Roy . Drew/Cam represent a platoon . Period. I don't like labeling players, but it we have to go there, Mac is really the extra outfielder. No 4th outfielder in baseball makes 8 mil a year. Players involved in a platoon are paid accordingly. He was never signed to be a 4th out-fielder. Never. Signing CC allowed for an expensive platoon. Keeping Drew away from lefties with the expanded strike zone is a no-brainer.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

You're getting bogged down in semantics and making a big deal out of nothing. Fourth OF/platoon -- same difference. If you want to label him platoon, it's more of a statement of Drew strugg;lnig against lefties and respect for Cameron's potential. The role of the fourth outfielder is often a platoon situation like this. So call it whatever you like. He is the fourth OF in terms of playing time.

The main point is that you keep in the job as the fourth OF/platoon OF -- whatever -- for now until around the midseason trade deadline. If he starts becoming more effective in the role, great. If he continues to hit below the Mendoza line, then you consider finding another right-handed OF for that role, even if it means eating a half year of hte contract.

It's a shame Cameron got hurt last year. He's been a solid, hard-working OF in his career and a stand-up guy. He didn't deserve the abuse he got because of the injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Quite the spirited debate!

Next up, complaining about the Pats 5th corner. Then...

Complaining about the Cs 10th man.

If Cameron makes a big difference in this team at all this year one of two things happened: The Sox completely fell off the map through a lack of production or injuries (again), or, he suddenly picks things up and makes himself relevent.

Neither is very likely.

Drew/Cameron will be off the books soon enough, you're just going to have to grit your teeth and bear it. Nobody would ever trade for either of them at this point, it'd be a straight release, or a trade for the invaluable PTBN (player to be named).

Damn Theo...doesn't he know this roster needs to be at least 10 All Stars deep with some of those waiting on the bench! Fire his useless ace!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Cam is fine for a 4th outfielder. The problem is that he NEVER plays. A guy cannot sit on the bench for 90% of tim e and be expected to hit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

which is likely a by-product of years of a pounding running style and his career contract season.

How is Albert P.'s contract season starting?

Was Lugo playing for a contract last year?

Is Bill Hall going to perform now that he is coming off the bench? Because rest is good except for when it is bad!  I can't remember your postition this week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What purpose does Cameron serve? : I am yet to see evidence of any homer streaks.  If you take his 2 HR game out of the equation, he's like a .100 hitter this season with no long balls.  Maybe he's still adjusting to his part time role, but do realize that if he doesn't improve within the next month or two, he'll be out.  Having a 4th OF'er is key to this team especially when you consider Drew's injury history as well as recent history against lefties.  Right now, Cameron just isn't getting the job done.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

At the end of the season we could have enough money off the books to land a Bautista or Y. Molina type, or simply look to the farm.  Tek, Wake, Scuter, Cam and Drew all hurt our lineup more than help.  The bottom line is we can and simply need to replace them ASAP in order to have a well balanced lineup.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

If it was up to me I would platoon JD and Mike. Look at their career stats. How much better is JD? Cameron is older but that's about it. I was never a fan of JD Drew and I like Cameron better so maybe I'm bias. He's always been a good teamate. He will probably be used in a trade by July 31st.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

He's an ambassador.  He will help the club in various ways this year, some visibile, some not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

My favorite thing about Mike Cameron is that he only make 1/2 as much as his RF platoon mate.  People wondering why Cameron plays more than Dmac, I got about 8 million reasons for ya.

Reddick isn't coming because the Red Sox are already LH heavy in OF, it doesn't make much sense to have 2 LH RF in a platoon. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]If it was up to me I would platoon JD and Mike. Look at their career stats. How much better is JD? Cameron is older but that's about it. I was never a fan of JD Drew and I like Cameron better so maybe I'm bias. He's always been a good teamate. He will probably be used in a trade by July 31st.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]I think they pretty much are platooning.

And unless Cameron picks it up there won't be a trade at the deadline IMO. I think that because the RS aren't going to pay him to play for somebody else to get a marginal prospect. And if he picks it up? Why trade him?

There are two ways to look at Mike Cameron for reasonable people that recognize that his 2010 sports hernia was not his fault and because it is an injury that strikes younger athletes, it wasn't his age.

One outlook is that the sample set is still small. The other is that in his historically ideal match-up (v. LH) he isn't getting it done aside from the Pesky Pole job and well struck homer that followed in the same game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Georom, wasn't that Beltre that took out Ells? And then he took out Hermida also.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Yeah but but but but but  drew and cam have a WAR at 210 and a UZR at 310 so even though i don't have eyes and have no skill at determining whos good and who is not, these stats tell me they're great so lets start em both and bench ellsbury because his UZR is -5....

Hopefully people will realize the "fad" that UZR and WAR are, and how they really truley are not a reliable method for evaluating a player.

You all thought ellsbury stunk because of his war or uzr or whatever, and thought drew and cam were good so shows what y'all know...  most of you bought into this BS, as they say in stars wars: "the force has a strong influence over the weak minded"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Give Dmac a shot, he's a much better hitter, his D is adequate

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Cameron is unfortunately just not a productive player. It happens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Since when is throwing out a sample invalid when said player is playing injured and on the DL for most of the year? How can anyone define reserving judgement in that situation as giving someone a free pass?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He was signed under the 2010 Pilosopy of "Pitching and Defense" which did not work out as well as Theo wanted it to. Cameron's best years are behind him after a horrific collision when he was with the New York Mets with Carlos Beltran. I even suspect he was injured before he reported to camp last year. Theo never put him through a medical prior to signing him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE] Theo never put him through a medical prior to signing him.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

You know this, how?

All players get medical checkups. It's standard procedure for all trades and signings.

Sections
Shortcuts