What should the Red Sox do when Kevin Youkilis returns?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: What should the Red Sox do when Kevin Youkilis returns?

well, one thing they will not be doing with youkilis is trading him to philly for joe blanton unless philly adds a significant other component(s) to the trade and throws blanton in as a complete salary dump.

blanton would get killed every start he had to make against the yankees, rays, blue jays and orioles just like he got killed last night by the sox if he were throwing in the AL east.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Play Youk, demote Middlebrooks. 

Middlebrooks could use the time in Pawtucket to solidify his play at 3B.  Middlebrooks came up advertised as a defensive upgrade, and questionable bat, due to his high K rate.  (Youkilis's bat is questionable for the same reason, BTW.)  But from what I have seen, Middlebrooks's bat is ML ready, but he is playing tentatively at 3B.  A bit more seasoning, and the chance to go show those AAAers he is the real deal with MLB experience, would do a lot to improve his performance the next time up (see Daniel Nava), IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Besides, Youk only helps his trade value by playing and playing well.  Middlebrooks improves little sitting on the bench.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It may just come down to a $ decision.  The less WM plays w/ the  ML club, the longer they have him under control and more time until he hits ARB.....Consider it part of the "Curse that Theo left behind"........we ain't got no more money....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: What should the Red Sox do when Kevin Youkilis returns?:
    It may just come down to a $ decision.  The less WM plays w/ the  ML club, the longer they have him under control and more time until he hits ARB.....Consider it part of the "Curse that Theo left behind"........we ain't got no more money....
    Posted by andrewmitch

The logic of saving his arb years applies under any circumstances.

For this reason, demote Middlebrooks.  He's unlikely to outhit Youk anyway.  I'd also take a look at trading Youk, then promoting Brooksie, but that might take a while.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanRock. Show SoxFanRock's posts

Play Youkilis at third, keep Middlebrooks on the bench, and demote Mauro Gomez

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Put Youk in the OF and see what happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Trade Youks for whatever you can get.  Save that cash.

If Middlebrooks regresses - sign a FA next year.

This year they have no chance to win it all anyhow.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Put him in the line-up.  Hope he can stay on the field and get back to himself.  Send down Middleman for now to stay sharp by playing evey day, we may need him soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The way AGon played RF Sat night how about this scenario:

AGon in RF
    Ortiz DH
    Middlebrooks at 3 B  
    Youk at 1 B

I'd give it a shot in Baltimore to see if it's possible.

Aviles, Pedroia, Ortiz (DH), Youk (1B), AGon (RF), Middy (3B), Salty, Nava, Lin/ Byrd in CF
    That's a potentially solid offensive unit.
    It provides an opportunity for Youk to show what he can or can't do. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The should demote Middlebrooks, trade Youkilis, and call up Iglesias, and move Aviles to 3B.

How is that for a solution not one person has suggested yet, but actually makes as much sense as anything else?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The way AGon played RF Sat night how about this scenario: AGon in RF Ortiz DH Middlebrooks at 3 B   Youk at 1 B I'd give it a shot in Baltimore to see if it's possible. Aviles, Pedroia, Ortiz (DH), Youk (1B), AGon (RF), Middy (3B), Salty, Nava, Lin/ Byrd in CF That's a potentially solid offensive unit. It provides an opportunity for Youk to show what he can or can't do. 
    Posted by MadMc44

Two major problems.

1.  Fenways is one of  the most spacious RF in MLB

2. Adrian Gonzalez is the slowest professional athlete in history.  The man could lose a footrace to Stephen Hawking.

These two facts do not mesh well together...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Notin---
    I said I would give it a shot this week in Baltimore--re-read the thought please.

When they get back to Fenway, if this works in Baltimore, I would move AGon over to LF.

I would accept Aviles at 3 B and Iggy at SS. I would also see Aviles in LF, Middy at 3 B and Iggy at SS.

It doesn't solve the Youk situation unfortunately. Middy is a threat in the lineup-note how Salty has started getting good pitches to hit of late? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This topic has been beat more than a $5000 claimer. I know Middlebrooks as slumped a bit lately, but he still showing some pop and at this point he really needs to continue to see ML pitching to get better.....more AB's at AAA will not get him used to the way the pitchers will pitch him in the show. If You is on the team and not traded then it is Punto who should be sent down not Mbrooks.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The should demote Middlebrooks, trade Youkilis, and call up Iglesias, and move Aviles to 3B.

How is that for a solution not one person has suggested yet, but actually makes as much sense as anything else?

I actually suggested this in ST and when Youk went on the DL, but the way Middlebrooks has looked, maybe the idea of AGon in LF and Youk at 1B makes more sense. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If You is on the team and not traded then it is Punto who should be sent down not Mbrooks.

And if Mikey or Pedey gets hurt in the first inning who plays middle IF?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If You is on the team and not traded then it is Punto who should be sent down not Mbrooks. And if Mikey or Pedey gets hurt in the first inning who plays middle IF?
    Posted by moonslav59

You get through it for one game.....If Mike gets hurt, you move Pedey to SS and play Nava at second.....he game up as a 2B. During the game you get Iggy or Ciriaco on a plane for the next game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Immortal9. Show Immortal9's posts

Keep Middlebrooks at 3B and trade Youk to the Cardinals for prospects.

Lance Berkman has a torn ACL, may be considering retirement... http://goo.gl/jRL3C

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ideally, you find a way to play Youk, who has a very good career OPS and is only 33, and Middlebrooks, who started hot, went cold, and is now heating up again. 

With Ross on the DL and Sweeney still recovering from the concussion, right now is a great time to add a good bat and without deleting one.  I'm against it, but another option is sending AGon back to the OF, probably LF at Fenway, and letting Youk play 1B with Middlebrooks at 3B. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I am in no way advocating Adrian Gonzalez in RF.  And my belief my be totally unfounded, but I don't think the risk of injury is as high as people think when a player plays out of position.  If you are a professional athlete who has played baseball their whole life not only have you likely played many positions before but you should be capable of being completely serviceable at any position.

What I do think can hurt someone is a lack of familiarity in terms of when to call off or get called off when a ball is between you and another position etc etc.  Now I think that a professional ball player (at least the good ones) should be able to lear a position at a serviceable level.

Like I said before I'm not advocating it, maybe I'm playing more devils advocate here....but I wouldn't be surprised if that type of a switch would not be as bad as we would perceive.

My question is.....what kinda arm would gonzo have in RF???  Or if you had to play him in the outfield would you prefer left field.  Left field at Fenway requires less speed and more of an ability to play the wall and I would think and intelligent ballplayer could pick that up very well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't think we have a choice now with both Sweeney and Ross out, Ellsbury taking forever to come back, and Crawford, well, never mind.......We have to get WM, KY, and AG in the line up together.........One of them will have to play in the OF now......

Sections
Shortcuts