What should Theo do? Deadline looms for Andrew Miller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What should Theo do? Deadline looms for Andrew Miller

by Gordon Edes/ESPN
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- While the Red Sox look to extend their season-high winning streak to 10 games Tuesday night, a drama of another sort will be playing out in Pawtucket, where gifted left-handed pitcher Andrew Miller -- and the Red Sox -- are faced with a decision that could have a lasting impact on both the player and the franchise.

Miller is scheduled to pitch Tuesday night for the PawSox against the Charlotte Knights, Triple-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. Wednesday is the day, contractually agreed upon, that Miller can choose to opt out of his contract with the Sox if they haven’t summoned him to the majors by then.

The decision is not an easy one for either side.

The Sox acquired Miller by trade last November from the Florida Marlins for left-handed reliever Dustin Richardson, then non-tendered him, choosing instead to sign him to a free-agent minor-league deal because he was out of options and wanted more roster flexibility.

Miller had offers from other teams, big-league offers, but chose to sign with the Red Sox because he decided they gave him the best chance to unlock the talent that has not yet delivered on the enormous promise that led the Detroit Tigers to draft him No. 1 in 2006, the year that he and good friend Daniel Bard pitched the University of North Carolina to the College World Series. Bard was drafted in the first round that year by the Sox.

And while Bard struggled in his first year of pro ball, then quickly shot up through the ranks to become the team’s invaluable setup man, Miller was promoted to the big leagues weeks after being drafted by the Tigers, but has foundered ever since. The Tigers traded him to the Marlins as part of the blockbuster deal in which Detroit acquired slugger Miguel Cabrera, but Miller was only 10-20 with a 5.89 ERA and averaged over 5 walks per nine innings.

The Red Sox acquired Miller with the understanding that he was a work in progress. He dazzled them in his first outing in spring training, touching 99 miles an hour on the gun, and was in the mix for a job as left-handed reliever. But at the same time, there was always an understanding that he’d probably begin the season in Pawtucket, to give him time to work out his mechanical issues and rebuild his confidence.

By all accounts, it has been a highly successful experiment, satisfying for both sides. Miller, who was inserted into the Pawtucket starting rotation, comes into Tuesday night’s start with a 3-3 record and 2.54 ERA in 11 starts. But what has been especially impressive have been his last three starts: he shut out Indianapolis on 1 hit over 7 innings on May 29, struck out nine and did not walk a batter in six innings against Durham on June 3, then went seven innings allowing just one run while walking none June 8 against Norfolk.

Left-handed hitters are batting a collective .111 against him. With pitching in such short supply, the 6-foot-7 Miller, who is still just 26, would have no problem finding another big-league job if he elects to opt out.

What are the options facing the Red Sox? One, of course, is to let him walk, which makes little sense, especially since it looks like they are winning their bet that Miller can still pitch effectively.

In a perfect world, they would probably like him to remain in Pawtucket in the rotation, continue to build on his success, then call him up when the need arises later in the season. But for now, Tim Wakefield, who also pitches Tuesday night (and it’s interesting to note that Miller and Wakefield are on the same schedule) has served the club well as the team’s No. 5 starter since Daisuke Matsuzaka went down with an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery.

The Sox could also call Miller up as a left-handed reliever, a role currently being filled by sidearmer Tommy Hottovy, who has been unscored upon in his four appearances. That would be an easy solution, having Miller swap places with Hottovy, but not if the Sox are looking at Miller as someone who could help them down the stretch as a starter.

So how do they persuade Miller to remain in Pawtucket and not exercise his opt-out? Well, if all else fails, there’s always money. Miller’s contract would pay him a pro-rated $1.3 million if he is called up to the big leagues. The Sox, depending on the strength of their conviction that Miller could be an important piece going forward, might find ways to add a sweetener.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: What should Theo do? Deadline looms for Andrew Miller

CALL  BILL-806.........  THEO, WE MUST KEEP THIS GUY ......  99 ON THE GUN IS ALOT !!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

i agree with you; letting miller loose would be pretty stupid; sweetening the pot may be the only answer at this point. i'd love to picture him as the #5 starter by the AS break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Both sides should want this situation to remain intact. Theo will get him to stay put and continue to solidify his command and get ready for a call up in the NEAR future. Neither Wake or Lackey can be counted on to survive the entire second half of the season, and Miller should get his chance soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The Sox opened up a spot for Miller on the 40 man roster when they traded McKenry to the Bucs.  Personally, I'd prefer to see Miller in the rotation since I don't think his lack of control (recent outings aside) would play well out of the pen.  Unfortunately, I think that means that Wake goes back to his bullpen role (or lack there of) and Bowden gets sent down yet again.  One of these days Bowden will stick (next spring?).

Wake can always step in again the next time there is an injury in the rotation and his presence in the pen, means that Aceves will be free to pitch in a 7th/8th inning role, instead of piggybacking starts with Wake.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I think it is easy.  If a sweetner doesn't work, send bowden down and call him up.  Worst case you have 2 lefties in the pen, or kicj Wake back to the pen if you want miller in the rotation.  I think you send miller to the pen for now...at least until wake blows up 2-3 times in a row...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I would like to see the Sox keep Miller somehow.  He seems to have a big upside and the way our pitchers are getting hurt the Sox need all the insurance they can get. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Seems to me like moving him to the bullpen might be a bad idea - sounds like he's just found some success, the better idea might be to keep him in the role he's in, starter.

But how do you justify that to Wake and Aceves?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff185. Show jeff185's posts

put Miller in the rotation and wake in the pen, it wont hert to have two leftys in the starting rotation

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't see the Sox letting him opt out. New York would sign him in a minute. Either he comes up or he agrees to extend the opt out date. He obviously has great potential.  Theo saw that and signed him. Miller has certainly pitched at least as well as Theo could have hoped. The old saying that " you can never have enough pitching " is very true. Quite frankly, those who say that Wake has pitched well and deserves to be in the rotation are not being realistic. Their loyalty is commendable but Wake is not the answer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Miller has had 5 years of experience at the major league level....probably mismanaged a little in regards to his needs and development...ain't no rookie..throw him a sweetner...get a couple of more starts at Pawtucket and bring him up...if his routine, mechanics and control are now improved, he may be very effective.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

He looked great coming out of North Caroline and good starting lefties aren't that easy to find, but Detroit was a step back for him and his control was an problem. If he's got a handle on the control-issue, you gotta make room for him and give him a shot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

NO way the Sox let Miller walk.  They can always send Bowden down now.  If Miller can handle the pen then Hottovy goes when Jenks comes back.  If he is a starter then I'm not sure what happens to Hottovy when Jenks comes back.  They have to have a LH in the pen.  Someone else will probably get hurt before Jenks is ready.  They also have Franklin Morales to worry about.  Nice to have so many options while being in first place.  Life is good now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Do you think the two sides might agree to move the set date?  He might like his progress at Pawtucket and he might even agree hey another 30 days might not hurt?  So new deadline for call up July 15th ? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

There is no way they let him walk for nothing.....three choices....call him up and move Wake back to the Pen....Sweeten the Pot to get him to extend his dealine to the All Star break, by then they will have a better handle on who to move and where on the Roster.....or three, trade him.....I am sure the Mets would take him and the way JD Drew is playing, Carlos Beltran wouldnt be a bad addition for the rest of this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: What should Theo do? Deadline looms for Andrew Miller:
    [QUOTE]I know this is a bit off-topic, but... In general, I like Gordon Edes. He understands baseball, and usually has something insightful to contribute to the discussion. As sportswriters go today, he's not bad... But like a lot of sportswriters, he prone to mangling the language: "Miller was promoted to the big leagues weeks after being drafted by the Tigers, but has foundered ever since." Jeez, Gordo, it's "floundered," not "foundered." "Founder" comes from a Latin root word meaning "to sink to the bottom" and thus means to "fail completely". To "flounder" means to "thrash about clumsily," like the metaphorical fish out of water. In other words, if Miller has "floundered," he's had trouble, but may yet succeed if he pulls himself together; if he's "foundered," he'd better start looking for another line of work. What do copy editors do to earn their pay nowadays?
    Posted by Soxwright[/QUOTE]

Foundered is an appropriate word to use in that context, and your definition is one of many.  It also means to fail miserably at something, such as being a capable MLB pitcher.  I don't think he's mangling the language at all.  Why did you find it that important to wordsmith his article by pointing out one word?  Agree or disagree with his analysis, fine.  But I think the choice of words is fine. Nothing personal, but can we get on with baseball here? 

I agree with others that Wake can swing to the pen and Miller can be #5 or the Sox can send someone else/others with options down to Pawtucket and give Miller a shot in the bullpen and keep using Wake and Aceves in the 5 slot.    

Where does he pitch if in the pen?  Situational?  Set up?  Not sure about this one.     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

This is what Miller's agent says in another article. It doesn't sound like he's going anywhere and no decision has to be made by tomorrow. He also has another opt out date August 5:

“June 15 is an important date, but there is a sense of it being arbitrary,” Rodgers said. “I think this is why this partnership works. When Andrew Miller comes up to the big leagues, it should be that Andrew Miller and the Red Sox believe it’s going to benefit the club. It should not be the threat that he might leave that should motivate them to call him up. … I think the Red Sox and Andrew Miller are all on the same page. I don’t think anyone’s going to be shocked and surprised tomorrow. This has been a great partnership. Andrew has had success this year. We’ve had constant communication with the Red Sox. I would term this a win-win situation thus far.”

The full article:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2011/06/14/agent-win-win-situation-thus-far-between-andrew-miller-red-sox/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

bring him up and send bowden down, problem solved

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Andrew Miller will be in the redsox rotation later this season, and for 6-7 seasons beyond!  Theo is not stupid, he will find a way to make it happen without disrespecting Wake!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't Bowden out of options?  Maybe it's time to say good-bye to Albers - I think we probably got his best month out of him in April.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

He can be sent down and called up as many times as a team wants within a season and it only counts as using one option.  He's going to be riding that shuttle quite a bit this year.  Next year he will be out of options.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Call him up, and DL or DFA Tim Wastefield. If Miller is ineffective after about 3 or 4 appearances, Doubrant is next in line. Millwood is also a used tire waiting to put up a 5 ERA. That will be a challenge for him, but he might be able to pull it off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]Call him up, and DL or DFA Tim Wastefield. If Miller is ineffective after about 3 or 4 appearances, Doubrant is next in line. Millwood is also a used tire waiting to put up a 5 ERA. That will be a challenge for him, but he might be able to pull it off.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Predictable as cancer. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

First, I do not think Edes meant that Miller has failed miserably since; therefore, foundered is NOT the word he was intending for use in that situation, IMO.

Second, Why put Wake on the DL?  Lackey is the one who needs surgery on his left elbow.  Let him have it now, and return to the rotation sometime next year.  His elbow is definitely going to get worse as the year goes on.  Mayber Miller takes his rotation spot some time after the all-star break and Lackey goes on the 60-day DL to rest it and come back in time for playoff baseball.  Whatever the case, Wakefield has been a more reliable starter, and has no physical issues to speak of, than Lackey.  If you are to replace someone in the rotation, it should be Lackey, IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]First, I do not think Edes meant that Miller has failed miserably since; therefore, foundered is NOT the word he was intending for use in that situation, IMO. Second, Why put Wake on the DL?  Lackey is the one who needs surgery on his left elbow.  Let him have it now, and return to the rotation sometime next year.  His elbow is definitely going to get worse as the year goes on.  Mayber Miller takes his rotation spot some time after the all-star break and Lackey goes on the 60-day DL to rest it and come back in time for playoff baseball.  Whatever the case, Wakefield has been a more reliable starter, and has no physical issues to speak of, than Lackey.  If you are to replace someone in the rotation, it should be Lackey, IMO.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing in regards to Lackeys elbow..Either way, I believe Miller is very happy here and Im sure Theo has secured his services whether he comes up now or waits a couple more weeks..One a side note, If they like miller more than Doubront, they could also have more trade bait..I dont think the sox would have 3 LHP in the rotation..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Nice post.  Sports writers are pretty bad, and editors seem AWOL.  Ian Browne over at mlb.com has me scratching my head all the time.