What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

The team we have now, or spend the $120+M and have this team:

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

1B/C/DH Napoli (Gomez/Carp)

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

SP A Sanchez, Lester, Buch, Lackey, Doub (Bauer/DLR/Webster)

RP Hanrahan, Bailey, Uehara, Aceves, Breslow, Miller, Morales (Taz, Mort, Bard)

Basically, the money spent on SV, Papi, Demp & Drew went to A Sanchez, and Ellsbury and some cash went for Bauer.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

J Upton ended up being a bit cheaper than what many here expected. I had advocated for dealing for him as well, but this construct was meant to maximize prospects getting a chance. Getting Upton along with the rest of this team here (Brentz to AAA) would have clearly made us better than where we are now, and got us a player under control through his prime up to and including 2015.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I dunno, moon, what are your projected 2013 MLB offensive stats for Iggy, Linares, Bradley and Brentz? 

Especially against RH pitching.  You mentioned we were going to have trouble against RH pitching this year, and now we have no Ortiz, no Ellsbury, no Drew. 

I'm not sure how much fun it would be watching this lineup get eaten alive by RH pitching. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

Basically, the money spent on SV, Papi, Demp & Drew went to A Sanchez, and Ellsbury and some cash went for Bauer.

While we're at it why don't we just pretend we acquired David Price as well. Again the coulda / shoulda stuff just doesn't work that well. A.Sanchez wanted to resign in Detroit and obviously Detroit wanted him back might explain why he turned down more $ elsewhere. Ells is going to be a FA, not signing any extensions at this point. As for Bauer while a young up and coming pitcher, definately has some issues [head case] but was not acquired for cash, so why wold they take cash from RS for a top prospect? By the way Brentz starting in RF when he's not even in MLB camp this spring, think he must prove he's ready not just fromgun shot wound. Guess Ben C could only wish it was this easy.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like the pitching line up but man that team would get eaten alive by right handed pitching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I vote for the Cleveland Indians from the movie Major League.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Awww, I am just all a fluttter with the beauty of humanity.  Softy and Moon, two peas in a pod.  Who woulda thunk it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Awww, I am just all a fluttter with the beauty of humanity.  Softy and Moon, two peas in a pod.  Who woulda thunk it.

lol

Maybe the world wont end up as a radioactive cinder, after all!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I would not expect much from a team with 4 rookies in the starting nine. ..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No chance.  You're going with Iglesias, Linares, Brentz, and Bradley, four rookies at once?  against righties, your lineup is

• Bradley
    • Pedey
    • WMB
    • Napoli
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • Sweeney
    • Brentz
    • Iglesias

You could finish last in scoring with that lineup.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I would have been cool with the rebuilding movement starting this off season. And I agree with some of your moves. Not resigning Papi being the key one.

However, there were a number of things I would not have done. First, trading for Hanrahan. What is the purpose of that? Guy has 1 year remaining like Ells. We still had Bailey. Could try somebody on the team[Taz] to develope his value, since winning is probably out the window. As for Hanrahan, I have a feeling its not going to be very fun watching him get out of trouble.

Not a huge fan of Bauer. Maybe Ells for Walker instead. Brentz isn't ready. Don't want JBJ up before late April to keep his value. Don't like Linares at all. Would have traded Salty for a bag of Ritz. And would have traded Lester for Myers and signed McCarthy, which I think you might have been open too aswell.

Guess I just liked not signing Papi and signing Sanchez. But I would have been OK with the overall concept.

Still like what they did though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley, Napoli, Nava, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Salty, Ross, Gomes are all quite capable of hitting decently v. RHP.  It most certainly is better than paying nearly 50 million for an aging out and delining Ortiz, Shane, S. Drew, as well as the soon to be departing Ellsbury.

LOL Better as in better team?  Or better as in less money going out to big labor?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dunno, moon, what are your projected 2013 MLB offensive stats for Iggy, Linares, Bradley and Brentz? 

What are your projections for Drew, SV, Sweeney and Nava?

Especially against RH pitching.  You mentioned we were going to have trouble against RH pitching this year, and now we have no Ortiz, no Ellsbury, no Drew. 

Yes, and that's one reason we have virtually no chance to win this year, but the biggest is our rotation missing enough top quality starters. However, it's not just about me thinking that since we don't have much of a chance this year, we should give the kids a chance, I think it would be more exciting to watch. (I did not ever say the team I listed was better, I said "maybe even better" depending on injuries and many other  factors.)

I'm not sure how much fun it would be watching this lineup get eaten alive by RH pitching. 

To me, one of the most exciting things to watch in baseball is fantastic fielding, most notably from the SS & CF positions, but I realize I may be a rare bird in that area.

I'm pretty sure many Sox fans would love to watch great defense, pitching and young players getting a chance to shine. (I'm sure there are many wanting to see Drew, Dempster and SV instead.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While we're at it why don't we just pretend we acquired David Price as well. Again the coulda / shoulda stuff just doesn't work that well. A.Sanchez wanted to resign in Detroit and obviously Detroit wanted him back might explain why he turned down more $ elsewhere.

I'm not saying this is not true, but it's hard to believe any report about offers made and not made. Are you saying that if we offered Sanchez near the combined total contract value of Victorino, Dempster, Papi,  Drew, and Ellsbury, he'd have tirned it down?

Besides, this is a baseball forum, where people discuss "what ifs" like this all the time. Yeah, maybe Sanchez would never have signed here even for $200M, but this thread is not about that, it is just a simple look at a possible (even if highly unlikely in your eyes) alternative roster. Just go with it.

Ells is going to be a FA, not signing any extensions at this point. As for Bauer while a young up and coming pitcher, definately has some issues [head case] but was not acquired for cash, so why wold they take cash from RS for a top prospect? By the way Brentz starting in RF when he's not even in MLB camp this spring, think he must prove he's ready not just fromgun shot wound. Guess Ben C could only wish it was this easy.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. Here it is again: the Indians essentially got Bauer for Choo, so I think we could have gotten someone like Bauer for Ellsbury, and if we needed to, we could have paid some cash to offset some of Jacoby's contract, since Cleveland paid over $3M of Choo's deal to get Bauer.

As for Brentz, I'd guess he'd end up with most of the RF PAs in 2013, but certainly not in April. There's Sweeney and Linares to cover Rf while he's out, and Nava and Gomes to play LF until Brentz returns. If Brentz never comes back, the team would still be much more exciting to watch, IMO. And, that's what this thread is mostly about. The "Maybe Even Better" was more of an after thought, but not entirely unrealistic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I would not expect much from a team with 4 rookies in the starting nine. ..

I would not expect much from a team with out current rotation supported by a team of mostly fragile or aging or both players.

Sanchez should be way better than Dempster, and he'd be here beyond 2014 at reasonable ages. We'd have a nice prospect for Ellsbury that helps us beyond 2013.

But, more importantly, we'd enjoy watching this year's team play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

No chance.  You're going with Iglesias, Linares, Brentz, and Bradley, four rookies at once?  against righties, your lineup is

• Bradley
    • Pedey
    • WMB
    • Napoli
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • Sweeney
    • Brentz
    • Iglesias

You could finish last in scoring with that lineup. 

Have you seen Victorino's numbers vs RHPs recently and over his career? Sweeney, Brentz, Linbares, Nava might all hit RHPs better, if not I'll add Pods to the roster, OK?

Ellsbury and Drew certainly rate to his better than the rookies vs RHPs, but we are assuming they will be healthy all year.

I don't see why you have Ross and Salty in the lineup together. Nava had our 2nd best OBP vs RHPs last year, and you are leaving him out.

I have never said my team is better offensively, but the "maybe" better overall, but maybe I value defense more than many of you. I'm fine with that. One day you might figure it out... (LOL).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Kids are fun to watch, when they're producing.  When they're scuffling, it's not nearly as much fun.  I don't remember too many people expressing excitement last year about Lavarnway hitting .157 and Iggy hitting .118.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley, Napoli, Nava, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Salty, Ross, Gomes are all quite capable of hitting decently v. RHP.  It most certainly is better than paying nearly 50 million for an aging out and delining Ortiz, Shane, S. Drew, as well as the soon to be departing Ellsbury. Ortiz and Drew and Shane are virtually untradeable because no team will send more than crumbs by summertime. If they are traded, they'll be virtually given away unless other talent is included with them.

Shane Victorino was receiving MVP votes as recently as 2011.  I have no idea where this myth came from that he is not a good player...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

Sanchez didn't look very good against the DR last night...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

b-b-but if Moonslav and Softy agree it destroys Pike's entire BDC forum conspiracy....no!!!!

p.s. Softy I'm not sure if you got lucky or something but you seem in better spirits lately and your posts have more levity, keep it up man.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Kids are fun to watch, when they're producing.  When they're scuffling, it's not nearly as much fun.  I don't remember too many people expressing excitement last year about Lavarnway hitting .157 and Iggy hitting .118.

I loved watching Iggy last year. He was involved in more defensive plays (100) than PAs (77), but I guess it depends on when you are taking your "go get a beer" or restroom breaks.

Yeah, watching Lava hit .157 late last season was not much fun, but I'm not sure watching Salty would have been much more exciting.

Since you are comparing 2012 outcomes to what could be in 2013, how about watching Bradley play CF vs more than half 2012's CF'ers?

Byrd 246 Innings

Pods 167

Kalish 150

Sweeney 126

Ross 39, Repko 32, DMac 30, Lin 18, & Lillibridge 17 

or these total OF innings played by these players (OPS):

Nava    632  (.742)

Sween 467 (.675)

Pods    437  (.674)

Byrd    256  (.606)

Craw   246  (.785)

Kalish  231  (.532)

DMac  215  (.678)

plus Agon 127, Lin 40, Repko 32, Lillibridge 30

It's hard to imagine Bradley being worse to watch than most on the list above or the whole list combined.

I admit that Linares/Brentz could end up being shockingly bad to watch.

Sections
Shortcuts