What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

No, instead you are starting incoherent threads, not responding to actual posters or positions, and continuing your clownish behavior.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

While we're at it why don't we just pretend we acquired David Price as well. Again the coulda / shoulda stuff just doesn't work that well. A.Sanchez wanted to resign in Detroit and obviously Detroit wanted him back might explain why he turned down more $ elsewhere.

I'm not saying this is not true, but it's hard to believe any report about offers made and not made. Are you saying that if we offered Sanchez near the combined total contract value of Victorino, Dempster, Papi,  Drew, and Ellsbury, he'd have tirned it down?

Besides, this is a baseball forum, where people discuss "what ifs" like this all the time. Yeah, maybe Sanchez would never have signed here even for $200M, but this thread is not about that, it is just a simple look at a possible (even if highly unlikely in your eyes) alternative roster. Just go with it.

Why don't we discuss what ifs that actually might have a chance of happening? Talking about the McCarthy's, Sanchez's, and Bauer's of the world after they've been acquired by other teams seems like a waste of time to me. Want to discuss D.Price something that has very little chance of happening but still a chance not a waste of time. Rays will have to do something if they can't tie him up long term, but trade to RS very slim chances.

Ells is going to be a FA, not signing any extensions at this point. As for Bauer while a young up and coming pitcher, definately has some issues [head case] but was not acquired for cash, so why wold they take cash from RS for a top prospect? By the way Brentz starting in RF when he's not even in MLB camp this spring, think he must prove he's ready not just fromgun shot wound. Guess Ben C could only wish it was this easy.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. Here it is again: the Indians essentially got Bauer for Choo, so I think we could have gotten someone like Bauer for Ellsbury, and if we needed to, we could have paid some cash to offset some of Jacoby's contract, since Cleveland paid over $3M of Choo's deal to get Bauer.

Not as high on Baurer as you seem to be, will have to wait to see what happens on that one. Worst case w/ Jacoby is we get a No.1 pick who might not have all the skeletons that Baurer has in his closet.

As for Brentz, I'd guess he'd end up with most of the RF PAs in 2013, but certainly not in April. There's Sweeney and Linares to cover Rf while he's out, and Nava and Gomes to play LF until Brentz returns. If Brentz never comes back, the team would still be much more exciting to watch, IMO. And, that's what this thread is mostly about. The "Maybe Even Better" was more of an after thought, but not entirely unrealistic.

Never bad to discuss things that are possible, its the wanting of guys who for various reasons probably never were a realistic shot of playing in Boston or guys who have already been dealt to others? But guys like McCarthy, Sanchez, and Bauer as RS fans its time to move on, for all we know Ben tried but didn't happen for one reason or another. Time to look at other options to make RS better, like find a way to get D.Price here?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While we're at it why don't we just pretend we acquired David Price as well. Again the coulda / shoulda stuff just doesn't work that well. A.Sanchez wanted to resign in Detroit and obviously Detroit wanted him back might explain why he turned down more $ elsewhere.

Getting Price via trade is probably more unrealistic than the guys I mentioned.

I'm not saying this is not true, but it's hard to believe any report about offers made and not made. Are you saying that if we offered Sanchez near the combined total contract value of Victorino, Dempster, Papi,  Drew, and Ellsbury, he'd have tirned it down?

Besides, this is a baseball forum, where people discuss "what ifs" like this all the time. Yeah, maybe Sanchez would never have signed here even for $200M, but this thread is not about that, it is just a simple look at a possible (even if highly unlikely in your eyes) alternative roster. Just go with it.

Why don't we discuss what ifs that actually might have a chance of happening? Talking about the McCarthy's, Sanchez's, and Bauer's of the world after they've been acquired by other teams seems like a waste of time to me. Want to discuss D.Price something that has very little chance of happening but still a chance not a waste of time. Rays will have to do something if they can't tie him up long term, but trade to RS very slim chances.

Ells is going to be a FA, not signing any extensions at this point. As for Bauer while a young up and coming pitcher, definately has some issues [head case] but was not acquired for cash, so why wold they take cash from RS for a top prospect? By the way Brentz starting in RF when he's not even in MLB camp this spring, think he must prove he's ready not just fromgun shot wound. Guess Ben C could only wish it was this easy.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. Here it is again: the Indians essentially got Bauer for Choo, so I think we could have gotten someone like Bauer for Ellsbury, and if we needed to, we could have paid some cash to offset some of Jacoby's contract, since Cleveland paid over $3M of Choo's deal to get Bauer.

Not as high on Baurer as you seem to be, will have to wait to see what happens on that one. Worst case w/ Jacoby is we get a No.1 pick who might not have all the skeletons that Baurer has in his closet.

My guess is almost any GM in the league would take Bauer over a sandwich draft choice.

As for Brentz, I'd guess he'd end up with most of the RF PAs in 2013, but certainly not in April. There's Sweeney and Linares to cover Rf while he's out, and Nava and Gomes to play LF until Brentz returns. If Brentz never comes back, the team would still be much more exciting to watch, IMO. And, that's what this thread is mostly about. The "Maybe Even Better" was more of an after thought, but not entirely unrealistic.

Never bad to discuss things that are possible, its the wanting of guys who for various reasons probably never were a realistic shot of playing in Boston or guys who have already been dealt to others? But guys like McCarthy, Sanchez, and Bauer as RS fans its time to move on, for all we know Ben tried but didn't happen for one reason or another. Time to look at other options to make RS better, like find a way to get D.Price here?

I'd love to get Price, and we have a ton of good prospects now, but it may be hard to get TB to trade him to us. However, if we no longer look like a top contender, they may be more open to the idea. Plus, they may see giving the Sox Price in return for some top prospects as an overall weakening of a division foe over the longterm- which seems to be how they evaluate value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to selenium-'s comment:

I liked Les Paul. He played a mean guitar.

What does this have to do with baseball?

He's baiting softy, so then he can pretend he's on the troll-ridding brigade.

It makes him feel important.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How often are big trades made during ST? I can't remember any real big ones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

The team we have now, or spend the $120+M and have this team:

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

1B/C/DH Napoli (Gomez/Carp)

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

SP A Sanchez, Lester, Buch, Lackey, Doub (Bauer/DLR/Webster)

RP Hanrahan, Bailey, Uehara, Aceves, Breslow, Miller, Morales (Taz, Mort, Bard)

Basically, the money spent on SV, Papi, Demp & Drew went to A Sanchez, and Ellsbury and some cash went for Bauer.

isnt this exactly what i said before the hot stove began? KISS?? keep it simple - sign a stud pitcher, resign papi, let the kids play?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

Basically, the money spent on SV, Papi, Demp & Drew went to A Sanchez, and Ellsbury and some cash went for Bauer.

isnt this exactly what i said before the hot stove began? KISS?? keep it simple - sign a stud pitcher, resign papi, let the kids play?

A Sanchez is not a stud pitcher.... Grienke was the only one on the market and he barely makes that list. A Sanchez is overpaid in years and money. I would ratehr have Dempster for 2 than A Sanchez for 5+

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

A Sanchez is not a stud pitcher.... Grienke was the only one on the market and he barely makes that list. A Sanchez is overpaid in years and money. I would ratehr have Dempster for 2 than A Sanchez for 5+

I agree with this and will add that although I understand the nature of this thread, I dont understand so much talk in March about what we shoudve done. I think its time to deal with what we have now, and what the future holds.

Im a guy thats a "here and now" type. Some of my posts can be misunderstood as this is what I wanted them to do and that I agreed with every move. Thats not the case. Its true I agreed with a lot of moves this winter, but a couple were head scratchers. I didnt care for the SV contract, but I understood that the way JBJ finished last year there was a concern he needed a little more time. I also understood the Drew signing, although not the $$, because of what we saw from Iggy last year as well. Now that papi is hurt the Drew signing looks a lot better, because with papi out we cant afford an almost automatic out in the lineup. Speaking of papi, I also didnt agree with the base salary and thought it should have been more incentive laden, but i fuuly agreed he needed to be signed for many reasons.

Im not saying its wrong to start a thread about this and discuss it. thats what this forum is all about. Whether I agree or not, I tend to take what we actually have and look at that. To me, its wasting time thinking about what could have been, or in reality, what was never going to happen. It is what it is and this is the team we have in Boston. Like it or not. I understand the teams plan and realize its not going to happen overnight or one offseason. I am encouraged with the new direction and equally encouraged about the future.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree with this and will add that although I understand the nature of this thread, I dont understand so much talk in March about what we shoudve done. I think its time to deal with what we have now, and what the future holds.

Im a guy thats a "here and now" type. Some of my posts can be misunderstood as this is what I wanted them to do and that I agreed with every move. Thats not the case. Its true I agreed with a lot of moves this winter, but a couple were head scratchers. I didnt care for the SV contract, but I understood that the way JBJ finished last year there was a concern he needed a little more time. I also understood the Drew signing, although not the $$, because of what we saw from Iggy last year as well. Now that papi is hurt the Drew signing looks a lot better, because with papi out we cant afford an almost automatic out in the lineup. Speaking of papi, I also didnt agree with the base salary and thought it should have been more incentive laden, but i fuuly agreed he needed to be signed for many reasons.

Im not saying its wrong to start a thread about this and discuss it. thats what this forum is all about. Whether I agree or not, I tend to take what we actually have and look at that. To me, its wasting time thinking about what could have been, or in reality, what was never going to happen. It is what it is and this is the team we have in Boston. Like it or not. I understand the teams plan and realize its not going to happen overnight or one offseason. I am encouraged with the new direction and equally encouraged about the future.

Excellent post.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

of course moon will just say "i just wish that did made some moves to help us in 2015 and beyond.."And while it is true that a lot of these signings may not help us beyond 2015 but they also cant HURT us in 2015. Which in retrospect could end up being better then shelling out 100+M to get Sanchez to sign here and he is ineffective in 2015 and beyond.

If this is a bridge year like moon says then i think its better to wait to give out long term contracts.. We'll know which prospects will fill which holes and have a clearer view on what moves to make. Not to mention actually get a deep FA class to work with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

C  Ross (Lava)

C/1B Salty 

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iggy  (XB)

IF Ciriaco (Holt)

LF Linares

LF/1B Nava

CF Bradley

RF Brentz 

OF Sweeney

DH/LF Gomes

of course moon will just say "i just wish that did made some moves to help us in 2015 and beyond.."And while it is true that a lot of these signings may not help us beyond 2015 but they also cant HURT us in 2015. Which in retrospect could end up being better then shelling out 100+M to get Sanchez to sign here and he is ineffective in 2015 and beyond.

If this is a bridge year like moon says then i think its better to wait to give out long term contracts.. We'll know which prospects will fill which holes and have a clearer view on what moves to make. Not to mention actually get a deep FA class to work with.

my post wasnt directed right at Moon, but just more of an explination of how I post.

I agree that with the summer trade we got 2 solid prospects for the future and did not let any of our own prospects go. That, to me, is thinking about 2015 and beyond. But this offseason was only the first step towards changing this team. It wasnt going to happen all at once. BC needed to take care of the here and now and think 5 years down the line. To me, he did that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Excellent post.

Thanks carnie :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My sentiments exactly.  I understand that it's fun to play armchair GM, but sometimes people get carried away with it.  As you say, at the end of the day what's done is done.  I see no reason to beat my head against the wall about what could have been done.  Like you I'm encouraged about the general direction of things.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

While I may question some moves of the GM (and of the manager during the game), I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I try to understand the reasoning behind their decisions because I know that they know more than I do. These guys are not making their decisions alone. They have far more resources and personnel available to them than any of us have.

Although I don't know the exact inner workings of any FO, I am pretty confident that the team of scouts, coaches, analysts, stats geeks, medical professionals, etc. employed by the Red Sox has evaluated and compared all of these players from every possible angle. Any valid point that has been debated/discussed on this forum, you can bet has been debated/discussed by the baseball ops guys, and with greater depth and knowledge.

Additionally, they have already looked ahead to next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and have a tentative plan for several years down the road. While it may seem that nothing was done this offseason to improve the team in 2015, I am confident that the FO has already looked ahead to 2015 at possible free agent signings, possible trades, possible prospects, future draft picks, and have a pretty good idea of where they're headed.

I am pleased with the outlook for both this year and for the future.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

See, Softy can't even understand why other fans feel good about the fact that the Sox have amassed some good prospects and held onto them, and held onto their draft picks as well.  He refuses to say one positive thing.  He's not for real.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

See, Softy can't even understand why other fans feel good about the fact that the Sox have amassed some good prospects and held onto them, and held onto their draft picks as well.  He refuses to say one positive thing.  He's not for real.

You actually read that crap?

You've got a much higher pain threshold than I do.  ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Yeah, I dont even respond anymore. His act isnt worth my time. Although i do get a kick out of other posters who can get him all riled up so he gets banned...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Most of his posts I skim over pretty quick now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why are you "encouraged"?

No CC.

Yes Webster and DLR.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

While I may question some moves of the GM (and of the manager during the game), I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I try to understand the reasoning behind their decisions because I know that they know more than I do. These guys are not making their decisions alone. They have far more resources and personnel available to them than any of us have.

Although I don't know the exact inner workings of any FO, I am pretty confident that the team of scouts, coaches, analysts, stats geeks, medical professionals, etc. employed by the Red Sox has evaluated and compared all of these players from every possible angle. Any valid point that has been debated/discussed on this forum, you can bet has been debated/discussed by the baseball ops guys, and with greater depth and knowledge.

Additionally, they have already looked ahead to next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and have a tentative plan for several years down the road. While it may seem that nothing was done this offseason to improve the team in 2015, I am confident that the FO has already looked ahead to 2015 at possible free agent signings, possible trades, possible prospects, future draft picks, and have a pretty good idea of where they're headed.

I am pleased with the outlook for both this year and for the future.

This winter was just a punt. 

Keeping some fans excited enough to believe we have a significant chance, while putting off any major decision for at least 11 months (from the Dodger trade to the deadline this year at the earliest). 

I can't see getting excited about doing nothing this winter to make us better in 2015. I'd have at least understood if we'd gone out and tried to build a winner in 2013 in one winter, but it's all window dressing.

This board will be crawling with posters flipping and flopping or making excuses once reality sinks in: we wasted about $100M this winter to maybe reach .500, and not one dollar will help us in 2015 and beyond. Yeah, maybe that's over-simplifying, maybe we'll trade one of these newbies at the deadline for a decent prospect or two, but at this point, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid or putting on the pink glasses.

This team did not  improve it's future since the Dodger trade; it kept it the same.

This team is not a legitimate contender in 2013; stop kidding yourselves.

Miracles can and do happen, and I will be rooting for one this summer, but the Kool-Aid is all gone in my house.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the moves made this offseason (most of them) can't hurt us in 2015 and beyond either.... whereas if we went out and did sign/trade a guy for 2015+ (in a weak FA class) it could have the opposite effect of what you envision. If we signed A Sanchez or hamilton for 100M plus and they do not perform (likely that it happens) then that weakens us in 2015 and beyond. At least with BCs plan we tread water for a season, COMPETE, and have a better picture of what we need going forward and have a much much much better FA class to work with as well as more advanced propsects to make a deal if need be.

i prefer this plan for the short and long term than your plan of a firesale