What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?

In response to garyhow's comment:

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

You can't compare last year's team ito this year unless you include 32 trips to the DL this year with key players out for two months and several pitchers having off years. Assume those unexpected events and THEN compare. Everything went wrong last year. Assume that EVERYTHING will go wrong again this year and THEN make your comparison.

Best quote of the day right here. People should just ignore the 2012 stats. It was just one of those yrs.

1. Most DL days lost by players of any team since 1987

2. A trade which basically gave up the season at trade deadline, how does anyone perform at their best under such circumstances?

3. A manager who was out of touch w/ MLB player having not managed in over 10 yrs in MLB. A seriously bad decision that was one of the worst in recent times [Thanks Larry!]

4. The firing and resignations of franchises best Mgr/GM combination the team has ever had.

5. Trade that worked out terribly Reddick for Bailey.

6. Nut case on the staff - Aceves

Union you are absolutely correct in saying that anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Look this team basically won 90 games for 10 staright yrs and IMO was still reeling from the collapse of 2011, then add all the above and you have nothing short of a dissaster! Hopefully better days ahead.

1) "Nutcase" still on staff.

2) Had to trade our starting SS to get "our guy" back. (Then pay $9.5M out of a tight budget to try to replace him.)

3) Already seeing injuries mount...again. At this point, I'm pretty confident it hasn't been "bad luck" with the injuries, it is the player's ages, physical shape,  and pre-existing injuries that is a big part of our injury history.

4) Nobody from the Dodger trade is likely to make a big impact this year.

5) Our pitchers have been having "off years" not just in 2012, but for sometime now, and us counting on them all to put it together at the same time has been our miscalculation for too long.

6) We still have Bailey, and they still have Reddick.

7) We don't have Beckett, Cook and Dice-K, but we have Dempster and Lackey.

8) We don't have Cody Ross or Pods, but we have Shane and Gomes.

9) We don't have Shoppach, but we have Ross.

10) We still don't have Papelbon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

5) Our pitchers have been having "off years" not just in 2012, but for sometime now, and us counting on them all to put it together at the same time has been our miscalculation for too long.

Lester had an "off year" in 2011?

He may not have been an ace, but 15-9 3.47 ERA and 1.26 WHIP is hardly an off year.

He had three bad games in Sept. but the rest of the year was very good.

It's unusual to see you exaggerate, to make a point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

He may not have been an ace, but 15-9 3.47 ERA and 1.26 WHIP is hardly an off year.

I didn't say every pitcher has had an off season every year.  I said we have been counting on all of them (on other threads I singled out the big 3) to all reach expectations at the same time. They never have.

It's "usual for you" to misrepresent my position, create a strawman, and then in a sense, argue against yourself.

I have been saying for years that we needed to upgrade the top of our rotation and stop counting on Beckett, Lester and Buch to all put together stellar and healthy seasons at the same time. It never happened, and yet each year, every spring, I heard the majority of posters claiming we "had 3 aces" or "we just need our 4th and 5th starters to do well", basically assuming the big 3 would all do well.

Lester had an off season in 2012. He did not have one in 2011, and I have been one of the few posters here defending him against those who call 1-2 bad games at the end of the year a "meltdown". Never the less, I have shown concern about his lost velocity and poor 2012 season. I may not be as confident about his 2013 as some of you, but I never intended to say he has been having "off seasons" year after year. He's the one guy keeping up his end of the 3-headed monster. It's been Beckett and Buch who have had off years or injuries. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I didn't say every pitcher has had an off season every year.  I said we have been counting on all of them (on other threads I singled out the big 3) to all reach expectations at the same time. They never have.

It's "usual for you" to misrepresent my position, create a strawman, and then in a sense, argue against yourself.

I have been saying for years that we needed to upgrade the top of our rotation and stop counting on Beckett, Lester and Buch to all put together stellar and healthy seasons at the same time. It never happened, and yet each year, every spring, I heard the majority of posters claiming we "had 3 aces" or "we just need our 4th and 5th starters to do well", basically assuming the big 3 would all do well.

Lester had an off season in 2012. He did not have one in 2011, and I have been one of the few posters here defending him against those who call 1-2 bad games at the end of the year a "meltdown". Never the less, I have shown concern about his lost velocity and poor 2012 season. I may not be as confident about his 2013 as some of you, but I never intended to say he has been having "off seasons" year after year. He's the one guy keeping up his end of the 3-headed monster. It's been Beckett and Buch who have had off years or injuries. 

When you say, "our pitchers" I don't believe you meant Doubront, Lackey or Dempster.

Who does that leave?

If you meant one or two, just name them and no one will misinterpret what you say.

You're used to writing massive posts. Being more specific shouldn't be that difficult for you.

And I was paying you a compliment. If you're too sensitive to figure that out, I'll refrain from doing that in the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When you say, "our pitchers" I don't believe you meant Doubront, Lackey or Dempster.

Who does that leave?

You implied that I meant every pitcher every year.

I was talking mainly about Lester, Beckett and Buch and I guess Doubront and lackey can be lumped in.

Lester has not had off years, except for 2012, and maybe small parts of other seasosn.

If you meant one or two, just name them and no one will misinterpret what you say.

"Our pitchers have been having "off years" not just in 2012, but for sometime now..."

I can see how this could be misinterpreted to mean every pitcher- every year, but it is not explicitly saying that, and if you have read my previous posts, you'd know I have not been a Lester basher, especially pre-2012.

All of our starters over recent years have had off seasons, but Lester has not prior to 2012.

You're used to writing massive posts. Being more specific shouldn't be that difficult for you.

I guess I assumed most know my continuing narative, and I don't feel the need to spell out every point in every post.

My basic point is that for too long now, us fans, and maybe Theo/Ben have been counting on our big 3 starters to all pitch well during a specific season. I have argued that it is a flawed plan, because without all 3 doing well, we have had no fallback plan. The Cards won without one of their top starters. We never could do that.

Every year, many fans start repeating the same thing I have heard every year about our roatation and its potential, but in a way that makes it sound like it is likely that 3-4 of our starters stay healthy and have good years all at the same time. I think that is against the odds, and I have been put down a lot over the years for stressing this point over and over: the chances are 3-4 of the starters we have are NOT going to stay healthy and pitch very well in 2013. We should have tried to find a legitimate #1 or #2, or at least a solid and dependable #3. Then, maybe we could have afforded to have one guy do poorly and still have the same shot we have now with 100% luck, or, if they all stay healthy, we might have been close to the front runners, where it truly could be said, "anything can happen".

And I was paying you a compliment. If you're too sensitive to figure that out, I'll refrain from doing that in the future.

I didn't think I was exaggerating, so I guess I did get a bit testy. My eyes are bad as well, and I read "usual" not "unusual", which changes the whole tone of your post. My apologies for the uncalled for response.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Who does that leave?

You implied that I meant every pitcher every year.

I was talking mainly about Lester, Beckett and Buch and I guess Doubront and lackey can be lumped in.

Lester has not had off years, except for 2012, and maybe small parts of other seasosn.

"Our pitchers have been having "off years" not just in 2012, but for sometime now..."

I can see how this could be misinterpreted to mean every pitcher- every year, but it is not explicitly saying that, and if you have read my previous posts, you'd know I have not been a Lester basher, especially pre-2012.

All of our starters over recent years have had off seasons, but Lester has not prior to 2012.

I guess I assumed most know my continuing narative, and I don't feel the need to spell out every point in every post.

My basic point is that for too long now, us fans, and maybe Theo/Ben have been counting on our big 3 starters to all pitch well during a specific season. I have argued that it is a flawed plan, because without all 3 doing well, we have had no fallback plan. The Cards won without one of their top starters. We never could do that.

Every year, many fans start repeating the same thing I have heard every year about our roatation and its potential, but in a way that makes it sound like it is likely that 3-4 of our starters stay healthy and have good years all at the same time. I think that is against the odds, and I have been put down a lot over the years for stressing this point over and over: the chances are 3-4 of the starters we have are NOT going to stay healthy and pitch very well in 2013. We should have tried to find a legitimate #1 or #2, or at least a solid and dependable #3. Then, maybe we could have afforded to have one guy do poorly and still have the same shot we have now with 100% luck, or, if they all stay healthy, we might have been close to the front runners, where it truly could be said, "anything can happen".

I didn't think I was exaggerating, so I guess I did get a bit testy. My eyes are bad as well, and I read "usual" not "unusual", which changes the whole tone of your post. My apologies for the uncalled for response.

Forget it, Moon.

The written word isn't always as precise as we'd like it to be.

I tend to get annoyed, when I think posters exaggerate to try to make a point.

The Sox were so bad last year, no exaggeration is needed.

Here's to a better season, this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox were so bad last year, no exaggeration is needed.

Here's to a better season, this year.

I'm starting to feel a bit better about 2013. I always get like this as opening day nears.

I never hope anyone gets hurt, but I'm happy Iggy and JBJ might get long looks. I'm also expecting good things from Taz.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like 2 of the guys I wanted will get an early shot with the big club (Iggy and JBJ).

I hope they do so well, they can't be returned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's beat CC Sabathia opening day and start off on the right foot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

left foot*

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

left foot*

I almost wrote that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

left foot*

I almost wrote that!

i'm disappointed that you didn't..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

left foot*

I almost wrote that!

i'm disappointed that you didn't..

That's not all that disappoints.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The kids looked good today.

I know, I know... It's a long season!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to PikeJr's comment:

No need for anyone to express joy or dismay on a one game sample size. Come back in July and we'll keep a light on for you and will serve you coffee and doughnuts.

THANKS!  For now we look AWESOME!  UNSTOPABLE!  WSC caliber....  :)  I'll hold off on the joy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Opening day wins are always special.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Opening day wins are always special.

always nice to get a good start.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy looked good at SS, but I didn't see any plays he made that Drew would not have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Iggy looked good at SS, but I didn't see any plays he made that Drew would not have.

same. we'll keep track though. he had 5 plays (according to my fantasy score. he is my starting SS btw) and i don't remember any of them being particularly difficult to the point where an average SS wouldn't have made the play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has it been "more fun to watch" yet?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if Anibal Sanchez would have done better than Dempster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I wonder if Anibal Sanchez would have done better than Dempster.

One game, seriously?  But Dempster did better than McCarthy did in his first start, so he must be better than McCarthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Just had to dig this thread up from the archives.   Say Moon, I brought you something to eat.

Also, here's that Kool-Aid you rejected earlier.

You'll need it to get down all of that crow.

Of course, there is one poster who was even more off the mark than you were, but we can't see most of his posts.  He's been kept in a virtual Guantanamo cell, but stubbornly refuses to eat his crow in spite of it being the only sustenance available.  He'd rather starve to death.  

And, in spite of numerous waterboardings, he won't take anything back that he ever said about Jacoby Ellsbury or even offer the slightest compliment about the team.  

He's out of his cell and roaming the floor again right now, babbling the same ol' tired lines about Ellsbury, Lowrie, and Drew with an occasional non-sequitor thrown in about Obama and the Social Welfare state.  Warden Dottie and the Mods must be taking a nap.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Some of Softy's nonsense got captured here for posterity LOL.