Re: What Team Would Have Been More Fun To Watch And Maybe Even Better?
posted at 3/20/2013 8:47 PM EDT
In response to moonslav59's comment:
In response to mef429's comment:
i don't understand what our expectations for last season and this season have to do with our W/L record..
It's a forum for debate. It's a topic for discussion.
This board has had high expectations not met for the Sox for 5 straight years. I am asking why is this season any different? Maybe you think the question is absurd and not worthy of discussion; that's fine. Maybe you don't want to discuss alternative scenarios this past winter offered, but some of us do.
In the grand sceme of life, last year's Sox expectations mean diddilee, but I thought I might mention that I liked our team at this time last March better than this team and we ended up winning only 69 games. To me, that is relevent to asking the question, why should we feel more confident about this year than last, and if the answer is, "we shouldn't" as I feel is the right answer, then the next logical step would be to ask, why didn't we instead begin to build a team geared towards winning in 2015 and beyond?
As a biproduct of building such a team, I proposed that such a team might even be more fun to watch this year than the one we have. Maybe it might win 80 games instead of 84, but I feel it would be more enjoyable to watch, and give us more information about the status of our prospects going forward.
If you'd rather us talk only about our W/L record, I suggest you start a thread on the subject.
Why should you feel more confident about this yr than last yr?
Because we saw what last yr brought us.
I think you're over-rating Beckett, over-rating AGone. Don't think you've ever been guilty of over-rating CC. ;)
1) got rid of a LF that never really playedV& was horrible the 3 months he did.
2) rid of 1B that never matched expectations.
3) rid of a SP on the decline & one I never personally wanted to re-sign in the first place.
4) rid of a shoddy manager & got someone familiar/great history w/ team.
5) got some proven players on the flip.
6) kept young talent we might need if/when injury bug comes back again ( apparently its already happening).
7) maybe a FULL season of Pedroia, WMB, Ellsbury Buch.
8) a real RFer ( Ells can play more center-left ).
9) Better Bp
10) Better @ C
20 more wins, Hold me to it.