What the heck is Berry doing on the roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

What the heck is Berry doing on the roster?

Now, before you jump down my throat, understand that I was an advocate for Berry being on the roster.  I just didn't understand why he didn't run for Gomes in Game 2 or for Boegarts in Game 5.  In spite of not being in there, the results were fine in that Gomes scored anyway and Middlebrooks advanced to third on a heads up play, even though he didn't score; so, I guess I'm not complaining.  I just figured with these potential runs, Farrell would want any extra edge he could get.  Maybe without having Berry around for a long time, he just doesn't quite trust him as much as the guys that got them to the dance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: What the heck is Berry doing on the roster?

I never shoot the Sheriff, I only shoot the Deputy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

The decisions worked out, but i was thinking the same thing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Thanks for sparing my life Troy, but do you have anything to say about the Maytag Pinch Runner, Quentin Berry?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Strange but Oritz was pulled in the 7th for Berry during the post-season, and in a close game I believe.

[/QUOTE]

I was fine with that one.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In last nights game the reasoning for Middlebrooks pinch running was that he was going to be the late innings defensive sub for Bogaerts anyways. And in a close game late you can't burn two player for one....Berry's role is to pinch run when we need a stolen base or late in games when were behind and one of Ortiz or Napoli reach base and you need the ability to score from first if someone hits it in the gap Or second on a single...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Pure guess is that maybe he wanted MB for 9th inning fielding since Bogaerts still doesn't have much experience at 3B.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

They are still waiting for that Dave Roberts moment when they are on life support and need that runner on 2 B. That's when QB earns his WS Share.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now, before you jump down my throat, understand that I was an advocate for Berry being on the roster.  I just didn't understand why he didn't run for Gomes in Game 2 or for Boegarts in Game 5.  In spite of not being in there, the results were fine in that Gomes scored anyway and Middlebrooks advanced to third on a heads up play, even though he didn't score; so, I guess I'm not complaining.  I just figured with these potential runs, Farrell would want any extra edge he could get.  Maybe without having Berry around for a long time, he just doesn't quite trust him as much as the guys that got them to the dance.

[/QUOTE]

He didn't run for Bogaerts last night because the Red Sox were leading. They did not need a SB. In situations where they need a SB to tie or take the lead, he will be used in those situations.

You can ask the same thing for having all three of Workman, Dempster and Doubront. Have they really needed all three?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Name one time this series or last that JBJ would have been used.

We've been sitting an OF'er vs RH'd starters who had a .411 OBP this year vs righties.

Berry got a big steal that did not end up leading to a run, but with some slow pokes like Papi and Naps on the team, I like having a pinch runner on the roster. (He can also play OF, if we use them all up or one gets hurt.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think Berry is a perfect 28 for 28 in stolen bases this year (including the postseason).   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Berry is a perfect 28 for 28 in stolen bases this year (including the postseason).   

[/QUOTE]

That's career.  It's 5 for 5 this season.  He spent most of this year in the minors in the Royals organization.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Like someone said, cant burn two players in the same innings.  What if Detriot came back and tie the game.  Boston would only have three players left on the bench for the rest of the game if they burn two players in the same innings.

Farrell got to play smart.  He did the right thing!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

If you ran Berry for Bogaerts instead of MIddlebrooks, you lose Berry if you need him later.  MIddlebrooks was going to replace Bogaerts at third anyway, so why waste another player?

As someone else said, why burn two players for one substitution?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was YOU?!??!

I knew it wasn't Marley, but I had my doubts about Clapton...

Sections
Shortcuts