What the sam hill is going on here?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: What the sam hill is going on here?

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

c

If you reread the OP, you will discover this is not a poll, so please tell us why you think this team isn't nearly as good as their record to date.  This is an invitation to repeat some of your choice observations about the team's ineptness, including the manager's. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The team is riding with a new , positive attitude. They will go as far as the starting pitchers will take them.

We all knew Buchholz and Lester were top quality young pitchers when they arrived. They were forced to take a back seast to two losers ( Beckett, Matsuzka) , players who were annoited "Aces" based on past perfromance ( one not even in MLB!).

Lester and Buchholz have embraced their leadership roles and are ready to take this team to another level ( of course a highe level than last year will be easy ...and instantly acceptable by me).

However, it's  a long season, and hopes and dreams do not always equal reality.

Let's just hope for improvement over last year and take it from there....o.k?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

The question I have is:  at what point, what sample size, is enough for Georom et al to, at the very least, admit that Cherrington is far from the buffoon they have been tripping over themselves to paint him as?

July 1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I choose A, but I understand those who choose C. It's still way early, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.

As an aside, the Jays are kind of looking like our '11 team.

actually, the '11 team was good until the september melt-down.

The 2012 team was 42-37 with

• A bad Lester
    • Buchholz with a very slow start
    • Ellsbury injured
    • Crawford injured
    • The worst manager in BB.

It should also be noted that in the first three months, we had outscored the opposition 404-348.  Oakland won 94 with a lower differential per game than that.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

The team is riding with a new , positive attitude. They will go as far as the starting pitchers will take them.

We all knew Buchholz and Lester were top quality young pitchers when they arrived. They were forced to take a back seast to two losers ( Beckett, Matsuzka) , players who were annoited "Aces" based on past perfromance ( one not even in MLB!).

Lester and Buchholz have embraced their leadership roles and are ready to take this team to another level ( of course a highe level than last year will be easy ...and instantly acceptable by me).

However, it's  a long season, and hopes and dreams do not always equal reality.

Let's just hope for improvement over last year and take it from there....o.k?

Agreed.  They are starting out strong but it is April.  Let's hope after the all star break things are still looking good.

I like what I see with Lester and Bucholz so far.  Ortiz looks good but it's a long season, time will tell.  I, like you, am thankful they are a better team this year.  They had nowhere to go but up!

I am a bit suprised they are doing this well. The jays are supposed to be the darlings of the east.  But as I have already said it's a long season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

actually, the '11 team was good until the september melt-down.

Not exactly. They started 0-6 and were  under .500 until May 16.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The question I have is:  at what point, what sample size, is enough for Georom et al to, at the very least, admit that Cherrington is far from the buffoon they have been tripping over themselves to paint him as?

Oh,  that'll require three or four World Series titles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

That's being generous, LD.  After four World Series titles, he'd still call the GM an idiot for the one free agent signing that was a bust.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

C

but way better to root for than last couple of teams

C????? really geo? are you watching the same ballteam that I am? I was at last nights game and in all honesty I saw a hard working hussling their tails off boston red sox. I know its only april but right now our boys ate tied with the rangers for the best record in all of baseball. man, you need to wake up and smell the fenway franks bro! buch is 5-0 and lester is 4-0. I think this club is a very confident and happy clubhouse right now. I will leave it to the forum to give their own opinions. but C for an answer is just plain crazy as I see it.

well obviously in April it's C   but if it keeps up...yea - A, why not? but it has been an easy schedule packed with home games this month...that will change and give us a better view of the team's chances

They played everybody in the division, which isn't exactly a cakewalk.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

TV-guy,  nice stuff on Sam Hill.  I like the expression because it sounds like swearing but isn't. 

What in the Sam Horn is going on here would be an appropriate Red Sox derivation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

This is not a poll.  Pick one (or create another choice) and justify it--

A.  Ben C has it about right, and these guys will compete for the playoffs.  Big surprise.

B.  A house of cards--Armageddon out of here. 

C.  Better, but still not there.  .500 ball, maybe a little better.

D.  Who knows?  Who cares? 

From what I've seen I'll go with answer A. They are as advertised and quoted. It's a whole new ballgame.

E.  Enjoy the ride and do not worry about when or how it ends.

Especially when you consider how unenjoyable it was last year (and in September 2011)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

That's being generous, LD.  After four World Series titles, he'd still call the GM an idiot for the one free agent signing that was a bust.  

And even if Reddick never got another hit or putout in his career, he will still cling to how bad of a trade it was...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

C

but way better to root for than last couple of teams

I agree. C. Until they have played half the season and are still winning. Its way too early to annoint this team as being anything more than a patchwork group of hard nosed players who are really not that good-like Dempster, Doubront, Lackey, Gomes etc etc. On July 1 if they are still playing good baseball I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but as a fan who has been through a lot of crap over the past couple of years, I am not giving them that benefit just yet.

Hi Pumpsie, 

I won't speak about Gomes because I know little of him, but as to Lackey, Doubrant and Dempster I will write. To say they are really not that good is your judgment call but as I've said so many times on this site a players career can be very long and over that time there are usually many ups and downs. Witness Papi who after a number of great years with our Sox was nearly ridden out of town on a rail, and is now doing very well these past seasons.

In the same tone Dempster has certainly had his down year but he has also had many fine seasons so he is far from  "really not that good" and so far has pitched pretty well for the home town team. As for Lackey, he was a very good pitcher in LA, but of course with the Sox he hasn't exactly been lights out but how much of that had to do with arm issues. Only time will tell but I think he'll be back and become a very solid 3-4 pitcher. 

As for Felix Doubrant, he has just begun his major league career with only one full season under his belt. At 25 years young he (I believe) will only get better as he hones his craft so to put him in your category "really not that good" is unwarranted and just plain WRONG.

~~~~~~

On another matter I predicted this club to win 75-81 games, of course facetiously predicted a 162-0 record but I'm very pleasantly surprised at the start and very optimistic about this teams future. I still view this year and next as rebuilding bridge years but if Cherington continues to surprise us with moves that bring in players that are "really not that good" that can help this club win all the better.

Sometimes club atmosphere can take the place of raw talent and produce a winner. It's early but I like what I see so far.   

HETCH