What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed

If you look at run differential, the Red Sox are a flawed team from the standpoint of run differential and winning close games.

Teams with similar records such as the Tigers, Brewers, D-Backs and Braves have run differential in the 50-70 range, while the Red Sox are +156.

The Red Sox beat up on bad pitching. Since August 23rd, the Red Sox are 9-12. Of those 9 victories, 7 of the 9 victories, they scored 9 or more runs.

For a team with a differential of +156, they have been shut out 11 times and scored 1 run 11 times.

Food for thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed

In Response to What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed:
    If you look at run differential, the Red Sox are a flawed team from the standpoint of run differential and winning close games. Teams with similar records such as the Tigers, Brewers, D-Backs and Braves have run differential in the 50-70 range, while the Red Sox are +156. The Red Sox beat up on bad pitching. Since August 23rd, the Red Sox are 9-12. Of those 9 victories, 7 of the 9 victories, they scored 9 or more runs. For a team with a differential of +156, they have been shut out 11 times and scored 1 run 11 times. Food for thought.
    Posted by ADG

Here's a news flash every team is flawed, from the Phillies to the Sox. The Giants of last year couldn't hit, yet won the series, even with the big spenders their are weaknesses in their teams, so getting 'hot' at the right time,  can determine eventual WS winner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The best team doesn't always win the WS - the hottest team usually does and they do it with pitching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Totally agree with the premise of the original post.  There was a stretch in late July/Early August where they were winning those 1 or 2 run games and that seemed like a great sign but now it is back to blowing teams out and losing the tight ones.

They haven't won a game by less than 4 runs in about a month.  In that time they have lost 5 games by 3 runs or less. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed:
    The best team doesn't always win the WS - the hottest team usually does and they do it with pitching.
    Posted by traven

Ergo, why the Red Sox are history this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : Ergo, why the Red Sox are history this year.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Speaking of history, recent history, the 2005 CHisox and 2006 Cardinals staggered into the play-offs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

OF roster is flawed as team has rhb weakness with YOuks injury year. But, enough talent to contend, but not the favorite that this massive payroll was pre-season supposed to be.

Crawford will return somewhere at or near career averages, but Lackey and Crawford contracts are such abject value failures that Epstein should get a year end pink slip even if team wins it all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Where the RH hitting depth was a glaring concern in March and has played out that way through the season, particularly with Youk in and out recently.   Finding a RH outfielder is a must for 2012.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The one problem with the OP is that he ignores the fact that the Sox have done very well against good pitchers too this year -- at least when healthy. They're 1-1 against the Tigers when Verlander starts and have beaten pitchers like Weaver and Sabathia among others.

Of course their record against bad pitchers is probably better than it is against good pitchers. Know why? Because they're GOOD PITCHERS. I'm sure you can say that about all teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : Ergo, why the Red Sox are history this year.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

What ever became of poster ErgoEtal?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

This Sox team reminds me a lot of the 2000 Yankees (Sorry) They were awful in September, had pitching problems (David Cone & Denny Neagle couldn't get me out) and battled injuries...then the post season came and they got hot. If the Sox get in...they can get hot. If you go out fir game 1 ALDS and BEckett goes 8IP 3H 1BB 10K...that can get the team fired up, next night then the other team knows they are facing Lester, tough guy to beat. Next thing you know ... you got hot enough to win 11 games before everyone else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This Sox team reminds me a lot of the 2000 Yankees (Sorry) They were awful in September, had pitching problems (David Cone & Denny Neagle couldn't get me out) and battled injuries...then the post season came and they got hot. If the Sox get in...they can get hot. If you go out fir game 1 ALDS and BEckett goes 8IP 3H 1BB 10K...that can get the team fired up, next night then the other team knows they are facing Lester, tough guy to beat. Next thing you know ... you got hot enough to win 11 games before everyone else.
    Posted by athens7676

I'm not concerned about whether or not the Sox stagger into the playoffs or go in red hot. The key is to make the playoffs. Then anything can happen.

Some teams get hot in September and carry it on into a strong postseason run like Colorado in 2007. Others stagger in then get hot in the playoffs. Others hagve a strong September then fade in the playoffs. It's a whole new ballgame/season (sorry about the cliche) once the playoffs start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : I'm not concerned about whether or not the Sox stagger into the playoffs or go in red hot. The key is to make the playoffs. Then anything can happen.
    Posted by royf19

Agree 100%.  Especially with the injuries the Sox have sustained down the stretch.  If they get in and are close to full strength (Beckett, Papi, Youk) I will gladly take my chances with that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

My Braves haven't exactly been tearing it up this month either as we limp towards the WC, but with our pitching and especially with our bullpen, if we have a lead we will be a tough out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Where the RH hitting depth was a glaring concern in March and has played out that way through the season, particularly with Youk in and out recently.   Finding a RH outfielder is a must for 2012.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Michael Cuddyer

Not only can he play RF, but also back up 3B, 2B, and 1B. I know the Twins want to re-sign him, but he's a target.

Alan

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by athens7676

Assuming they get in and play the Tigers, they won't beat Verlander

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr-Murgatroyd. Show Mr-Murgatroyd's posts

In Response to What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : Why does your food for thought always taste bitter and the same. Do you have a cookbook and a rack for spices in your kitchen? You must be Irish and like your bland corned beed and boiled potatos every night. Living in northern Ireland is depressing I know with the bleak, damp, cold landscape and lack of sun.
    Posted by BeaconHill19

I think he likes reality.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Attic-dan nailed it.  Every team is flawed.

Right now the Sox have massive pitching issues--starting and bullpen--and at least two key hitters, Youk and Ortiz, who are slipping a little.  Youk is nursing a sports hernia which seems to affect everything he does.  Forget hitting, I wonder that he can even get to the plate.  As for fielding, his limited range is now next to zero because he mishandled two balls yesterday that were hit right to him.  Ortiz has back spasms, which could cause Francona once again to pinch hit for his DH.  I hope this time it's Lavarnway, now Lowrie. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : Assuming they get in and play the Tigers, they won't beat Verlander
    Posted by ADG

The Sox are 1-1 against him so far this year,so I guess the Sox can beat the Mighty Verlander.It's already been done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

My Braves haven't exactly been tearing it up this month either as we limp towards the WC, but with our pitching and especially with our bullpen, if we have a lead we will be a tough out.
    Posted by athens7676

Could be this years Giants. A hot bat in Uggla, playing the Cody Ross role, and their pitching, have the potential to set up a Sox, Brave, WS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : Agree 100%.  Especially with the injuries the Sox have sustained down the stretch.  If they get in and are close to full strength (Beckett, Papi, Youk) I will gladly take my chances with that. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Who pitches game three of a playoff series and how do the Red Sox beat Verlander because that is who they are playing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Whatever happoened to that poster with the avatar of the cow with the big teeth?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: What the Stats Show -The Red Sox are flawed : Who pitches game three of a playoff series and how do the Red Sox beat Verlander because that is who they are playing.
    Posted by ADG

They can beat the Tigers without beating Verlander.

The better question is: How can the Tigers beat a fairly healthy Redsox if Verlander doesn't win both his starts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Things are not looking that great for the sox right now. But they will win tomorrow i hope and the next day as well. Things are tight in the race at the moment but it makes baseball that much better! Plus im going to be a Homer and say Go Sox. Sox world series champs 2011 led by the return of beckett tomorrow. I always thought the sox fate this season lay with Beckett.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts