What the umps had to say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

What the umps had to say

This has to be the biggest pile of BS I've ever seen on the internet, and considering that I'm talking about the internet, that says a lot.

http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/

In the interview with Jeff Kellog, he lays the blame for everything at the feet of the Red Sox.

Did you ever feel like when he stays in the game that things could get out of control?

“Sure, you think about a lot of things, but part of losing control is them losing control. We stay under control. We aren’t going to make a decision if we feel we are in the right place because we’re worried about somebody losing control. At some point, you want to keep peace out there and you want to keep control of the game, absolutely. We weren’t going to throw him out of the game to please Boston because things were getting out of control on their end.”

I would suggest to Mr. Kellog that things started getting out of control when Price threw at Papi's backside and the umpiring crew was derelict in their duties when they allowed Price to say in the game.  They became MORE derelict when they allowed Price to hit Carp and again allowing Price to stay in the game.  

Kellog admits that the umpiring crew had been warned that "something could happen". The whole thing could have been prevented if the umpiring crew had the kahunas to do the right thing in the beginning and throw Price out immediately.  

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/

I'm hoping the biggest, loudest and longest boos of tonight's game are saved for when the umpiring crew is introduced

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: What the umps had to say

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This has to be the biggest pile of BS I've ever seen on the internet, and considering that I'm talking about the internet, that says a lot.

http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/

In the interview with Jeff Kellog, he lays the blame for everything at the feet of the Red Sox.

Did you ever feel like when he stays in the game that things could get out of control?

“Sure, you think about a lot of things, but part of losing control is them losing control. We stay under control. We aren’t going to make a decision if we feel we are in the right place because we’re worried about somebody losing control. At some point, you want to keep peace out there and you want to keep control of the game, absolutely. We weren’t going to throw him out of the game to please Boston because things were getting out of control on their end.”

I would suggest to Mr. Kellog that things started getting out of control when Price threw at Papi's backside and the umpiring crew was derelict in their duties when they allowed Price to say in the game.  They became MORE derelict when they allowed Price to hit Carp and again allowing Price to stay in the game.  

Kellog admits that the umpiring crew had been warned that "something could happen". The whole thing could have been prevented if the umpiring crew had the kahunas to do the right thing in the beginning and throw Price out immediately.  

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/

I'm hoping the biggest, loudest and longest boos of tonight's game are saved for when the umpiring crew is introduced

[/QUOTE]

I believe that Price DID throw at Ortiz intentionally despite his denials (Price said he was trying to establish the inside part of the plate-but IMO that does not include Ortiz's backside). The pitch was behind him. Those two have a history, and the recent flareups between the two teams was also a factor. However, I do not think he threw at Carp. And I think, as Ortiz said, he did that on his own without any instructions from their manager. Its not over.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

This game will be reviewed, as will the performance by the umps.  There is no question that this is a spin to save face prior to MLB issuing a response.  There will be more coming on this.  They'll ponder why it is that a guy leading the league in fewest walks and fewest hit batters should hit three batters in one game by throwing inside.  (Xander got hit on the thigh)

They fed off of what Maddon said in his post game presser, that the umps had total control and did an outstanding job with that game.  Makes the whole thing look and sound pretty shabby.  The fact that they claim Boston let this "get out of control" will also be looked at in NY. 

I would actually go so far as to say Maddon called for Papi to be hit.  He all but admitted it post game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/05/jeff-kellogg-explains-umpires-decisions-in-eventful-red-sox-rays-game/

[/QUOTE]

If that is Kellogg's rationale..then he should not be umpiring. When Price hit Ortiz..both pitchers and benches were warned. On the next hit batter..the pitcher (Price) should have been run. I don't care whether it the umpires deemed it intentional or unintentional. Once they issue those warnings..they have no business falling back on "judgement calls"... it should be very simple next hit batter..the pitcher gets ejected.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to soups' comment:

This game will be reviewed, as will the performance by the umps.  There is no question that this is a spin to save face prior to MLB issuing a response.  There will be more coming on this.  They'll ponder why it is that a guy leading the league in fewest walks and fewest hit batters should hit three batters in one game by throwing inside.  (Xander got hit on the thigh)

They fed off of what Maddon said in his post game presser, that the umps had total control and did an outstanding job with that game.  Makes the whole thing look and sound pretty shabby.  The fact that they claim Boston let this "get out of control" will also be looked at in NY. 

I would actually go so far as to say Maddon called for Papi to be hit.  He all but admitted it post game.

I agree, soups. With a smile on his face, "was my tongue in cheek?" 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If that is Kellogg's rationale..then he should not be umpiring. When Price hit Ortiz..both pitchers and benches were warned. On the next hit batter..the pitcher (Price) should have been run. I don't care whether it the umpires deemed it intentional or unintentional. Once they issue those warnings..they have no business falling back on "judgement calls"... it should be very simple next hit batter..the pitcher gets ejected.

This I agree with. I do not think hitting Carp was intentional, nor do I think it should have mattered. As a result of not tossing Price this will go on for the rest of the weekend and someone could get hurt. The umps should have tossed Price to end it right then and there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

This I agree with. I do not think hitting Carp was intentional, nor do I think it should have mattered. As a result of not tossing Price this will go on for the rest of the weekend and someone could get hurt. The umps should have tossed Price to end it right then and there.

It was quite obvious from the animation of the umpire's warnings when Papi got hit that the Home Plate ump thought it was intentional.  The umiring crew admittedly knew what had happened last weekend and were warned that something might happen again.   That's why I don't understand why Price wasn't ejected on the spot.  At the same time I completely agree with the fact that hitting Carp was unintentional.  

All pitchers labor under the assumption that if they it another batter after being warned that they're going to be ejected from the game.  That's why managers argue that warnings take away a pitcher's right to pitch inside.  Price chose to risk being ejected by continuing to pitch inside, and when he hit Carp the umpires refused to do what everyone knew they should do - throw da bum out!

I'm certain that Torre and the umpiring supervisors  will do what friends do everywhere - when one of them leaves a pile of doo their friends cover it up.  If umpires want credibility they should act like they deserve it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Agreed it would have ended had the umps tossed Price to start with.  As is apparently it's okay to get the first shot in.  I hope Longoria has an ice bag ready. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed it would have ended had the umps tossed Price to start with.  As is apparently it's okay to get the first shot in.  I hope Longoria has an ice bag ready. 

[/QUOTE]

It certainly does seem like RDLR is the kind of pitcher who could be replaced in the first inning should something "unfortunate" occur.

Oh.....I'm sorry... was my tongue in cheek?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Price should have been tossed on the 2nd HBP, if not sooner, via pregame warning.