What think you of the team NOW?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

What think you of the team NOW?

I thought I was negative, and I have posted that Im a hard core cynic, but am legitimately shocked by some of the garbage Ive seen on here this morning. Anyway, Ive been harder on this team than just about anyone this summer, and have not been a full fledged believer, until NOW. There were three primary areas of concern for me as we came down to the last month.

1. A September collapse like 2011 that left us out of the playoffs. Now I never did really see this happening, but the ghost of it was always there in the background. This did not happen, test passed. Check.

2. A September swoon just bad enough to cost us home field advantage. This would have been damaging, especially considering how tenuous those games at Tampa Bay ended up being. But, this did not happen, test passed. Check.

3. A first round knockout against a low seed, and this seemed especially threatening considering who we ended up drawing in the opening round. This did not happen. We beat Moore, we beat Price, and whats more, in the clinching game beat the Rays at their own "well pitched, scratch out runs on chink hits" game. We out-Tropicana'd them in their own house. Blow kisses like IVC, and on to victory. Test passed. Check.

So now, I am happy with this team's accomplishments, they have done so much more than we ever expected. I am done griping and doubting. Make no mistake, if they lose to Detroit or Oakland I will be disappointed, but not ticked off and disillusioned the way I might have been if one of these three had taken place. So for me, this season has been mostly fun, and is a success no matter what happens from now on, because they have proven to me that even if they dont win it all they also wont CHOCK like chumps, and if they die, they will die facing the enemy at their post of duty. This is all we can ask for. The only thing left that might annoy me in a major way is losing the World Series to St. Louis or Carl Crawford's hooligans, or blowing a 3-0/3-1 lead in a series. But even that isnt as bad as the disasters listed above. Other than that, we're good, but I feel like we may take the whole thing no matter who we play. Win or lose, I fear no team. Go Red Sox!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: What think you of the team NOW?

YES!

count me IN!

+5 for "chock".

i was thinking .500 team in spring.  this was such a fun year.  not only because:  1st place...but moreso that it really seems like a great bunch of guys.  they make it easy to root for them.  that has been missing the past couple/few seasons.  it is nice to have that kind of team again.

the next round will be a fight, but i like our chances no matter who we play. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

This team is so much fun to watch this year.  I have never thought of this team to win it all this year.  

Congrat to Ben C!!  Now I can laugh at Theo and his team!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This team is made of iron.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Nancys, all of you.  Wink

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Nancys, all of you.  Wink

if i must go to redsox.com and order a "pink" hat, then i shall!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I always liked the team

But my concern had always been the starting pitching

The Peavy trade helped a lot.  Buck coming back of course which based on history, I did not expect.  And Lester is starting to show some maturity.

They are showing me a new model to win - balanced pitching staff and you don't need a Manny R in your line up to win...This is such a well-balanced team.  I also like how Ben allocated offense at some slots and defense at others. 

We also have a key guy like Salty who has improved greatly - that goes a long way

I knew going into the season they would be better than the yankees.

After about a month I thought they would compete for that 5th WC.

Of course today, they have exceeded all expectations and it's really easy to like these guys as much as 04 and 07 teams..........

If they win it all, I will be extremely happy for Ben C.......but it all started by dumping the guys I absolutely hated!!!!

The Tigers scare me a little but honestly not as much as Tampa

The only NL team that scares me is Kershaw's team if he can go 3x

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I always liked the team

But my concern had always been the starting pitching

The Peavy trade helped a lot.  Buck coming back of course which based on history, I did not expect.  And Lester is starting to show some maturity.

I knew going into the season they would be better than the yankees.

After about a month I thought they would compete for that 5th WC.

Of course today, they have exceeded all expectations and it's really easy to like these guys as much as 04 and 07 teams..........

If they win it all, I will be extremely happy for Ben C.......but it all started by dumping the guys I absolutely hated!!!!

i don't recall the month(mid June, or post-ASG week maybe?), but i feel that you guys took off after that final time they regained 1st place....at that point the Rays were still in a bit of a slide, Ellsbury and Pedroia were hot..and Ortiz's return was imminent..definitely played better than anyone the rest of the way 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, I think it's a success now too

But this reminds me of Jim Rice in the early 80's - they asked him about his goals for each season

He said he may start out thinking 30/100 but as the season goes on and if it's going well, he raised the bar on his goals

So I wanted to be better than the yankees -GOAL MET

then.......

I wanted to win the division w/ the best record - GOAL MET

then.....

I wanted to beat TB - GOAL MET

now......

I want the WS!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's always amusing on this board the day after a loss. Even though we were up 2-1 and still had homefield, so many were pronouncing the Sox DOA after Monday night. Salty sucks, Farrell's a moron, Pedey can't hit, etc. Total insanity.

This team has proven you can never, ever, count them out. Hopefully everyone will remember that the next time they lose -- and they will lose again, folks, only an idiot would expect them to go 8-0 the rest of the way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think most of the cynicism expressed on this board is not the good old ingrained Red Sox fan doom and gloom mentality, but rather just the hard-to-resist force of being a blowhard internet voice.  If you look at any public forum on the internet, it is chock full of overly negative criticisms.  Its easier to do on the web than in real life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

BINGO!!!

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I think most of the cynicism expressed on this board is not the good old ingrained Red Sox fan doom and gloom mentality, but rather just the hard-to-resist force of being a blowhard internet voice.  If you look at any public forum on the internet, it is chock full of overly negative criticisms.  Its easier to do on the web than in real life.

Kind of reminds me of the Garbage song, "I'm Only Happy When It Rains."

How's SpaceBaby doing? No longer a baby technically, I suppose.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

It's always amusing on this board the day after a loss. Even though we were up 2-1 and still had homefield, so many were pronouncing the Sox DOA after Monday night. Salty sucks, Farrell's a moron, Pedey can't hit, etc. Total insanity.

This team has proven you can never, ever, count them out. Hopefully everyone will remember that the next time they lose -- and they will lose again, folks, only an idiot would expect them to go 8-0 the rest of the way.

Lloyd, I felt that way until I actually saw them win a PS series. I posted that many times. Ive been pretty consistent in my "curb your enthusiasm" attitude this summer. My thing is that I cant stand a choker (chocker). Now that they hung in a close, hard fight against Tampa, theyve proven their mettle, and I wont yell about it again this year unless they do something really, really stupid--and thats fairly unlikely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Spacetoddler is great Lloyd.  However, she is a total daddy's girl, and is not at all happy with the way this playoff stuff is distracting spacepapa from his much more important toddler-entertainment work.  I can only hope someday she understands.  Hopefully it doesnt push her into Yankee fandom.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Spacetoddler is great Lloyd.  However, she is a total daddy's girl, and is not at all happy with the way this playoff stuff is distracting spacepapa from his much more important toddler-entertainment work.  I can only hope someday she understands.  Hopefully it doesnt push her into Yankee fandom.

Yes, they can rebel that way. In my case, both my boys are even bigger Red Sox fanatics than me. Always pissed when they can't stay up on school nights to watch. So this morning, I didn't tell them who won, we just watched the tape of the final out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The only criticism was Farrell - he made some decisions that let the Rays get back into the series

Unlike Francona, Farrell admitted the error and corrected it

Francona would had sat up there and lied, and then continued to do the exact same things

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The only criticism was Farrell - he made some decisions that let the Rays get back into the series

Francona would had sat up there and lied, and then continued to do the exact same things

From you, maybe, but there were several doom-and-gloom threads yesterday attacking everybody from Farrell to the clubhouse attendant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey, somebody's gotta smarten up the family!! Tongue OutWink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

From you, maybe, but there were several doom-and-gloom threads yesterday attacking everybody from Farrell to the clubhouse attendant.

[/QUOTE]

I stayed away from the forum yesterday because I knew thats what would be going on. Whats worse, Id have been one of them because I was super ticked. Sometimes it does no good to even read my own posts, so I stayed at a distance. Glad I did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

hey, somebody's gotta smarten up the family!! Tongue OutWink

He'd just write her out of the will.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, they can rebel that way. In my case, both my boys are even bigger Red Sox fanatics than me. Always pissed when they can't stay up on school nights to watch. So this morning, I didn't tell them who won, we just watched the tape of the final out.

[/QUOTE]

Well if the Sox make the playoffs, I hope you make an exception and let them stay up to watch. My mom was strict with bedtimes when I was a kid, but I still remember in 1972 when I was in the second grade, she let me stay up and watch Game 6 and Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. 

And watched every inning in 1975 when I was in the sixth grade of both the ALCS and World Series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This team is made of iron.

=====================================

I am enthusiastic & happy beating the nemisis Rays and I don't want to be negative but positive; however, the incredible performance of the offense & base running of Ells & Victorino & Pedroia too is overshadowing, I feel, a mediocre performance from Napoli & Salty. I think they both strike out more than they make contact. We hit no HRs in Tampa. They need to pick up their offense for us to go forward vs A's or Tigers. My $-02 !

Sections
Shortcuts