What think you of the team NOW?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What think you of the team NOW?

I was so wrong about this team's chances.
    I've never been happier for beinbg so off base.

I even said the main reason I did not think we could compete was that the chances that Lester and Buch would both stay healthy and pitch well all season were not good. Well, that happened, and we still won.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I even said the main reason I did not think we could compete was that the chances that Lester and Buch would both stay healthy and pitch well all season were not good. Well, that happened, and we still won. The other major reason was that we did not fill one of our two biggest needs: top starting pitcher and a big bat to hit behind Papi.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I even said the main reason I did not think we could compete was that the chances that Lester and Buch would both stay healthy and pitch well all season were not good. Well, that happened, and we still won. The other major reason was that we did not fill one of our two biggest needs: top starting pitcher and a big bat to hit behind Papi.

Sox4ever

Okay. Don't let it happen again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

The only criticism was Farrell - he made some decisions that let the Rays get back into the series

Unlike Francona, Farrell admitted the error and corrected it

Francona would had sat up there and lied, and then continued to do the exact same things

From you, maybe, but there were several doom-and-gloom threads yesterday attacking everybody from Farrell to the clubhouse attendant.

[/QUOTE]

I stayed away from the forum yesterday because I knew thats what would be going on. Whats worse, Id have been one of them because I was super ticked. Sometimes it does no good to even read my own posts, so I stayed at a distance. Glad I did.

[/QUOTE]

I stay away too because sometimes I'm in no mood to see all the btching and whning that goes on here after a loss (and often after wins.) I don't mind healthy venting and smart debate but too often it goes way past healthy vending and smart debate.

Because of the Sox experiences in the 1970s when I was a kid, I always try to temper enthusiasm with skepticism. And I use the word skepticism for a specific reason.

In regard to a sports team, to me, being skeptical is a rational assessment of what could go wrong. Being cynical is a leap beyond that where there's an automatic assumption that what could go wrong WILL go wrong.

Once I really looked at this team coming out of spring training, there was a lot to like it they stayed healthy and everyone performed to a career norm -- not career year, just career norm or better point, a reasonable expectation of what they could do if healthy.

So I'm not surprised at the good season, although I never expected a 97-win season. But I never assumed it was going to happen. I was ALWAYS wary that the Sox wouldn't overcome bullpen issues, that there would be a major slump, or major injuries to the lineup. 

In the  end, it's always a balanceing act. I try to stay postive without getting too high during good times nor too low during slumps. And while I'm always wary of something bad to happen, I don't wallow in misery and forget to enjoy the good times because I'm waiting for something bad to happen.

I never felt a playoff spot, the AL East, the best record and the ALDS were wrapped up until it actually happened, even though others often called it a done deal before it happened. I've been burned in the past. But I also didn't go through those times, EXPECTING a collapse of some sort.

It's a cliche, but I really do take it one game at a time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hey, somebody's gotta smarten up the family!! Tongue OutWink

He'd just write her out of the will.

[/QUOTE] LOL LD..he better save that one for the day that she walks through the door with a guy like A-Rod on her arm :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox4ever

I had been overvaluing our team for 3 or 4 years, then when I finally go low, they surprise me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I cannot see nay true Sox fan not being enamored and proud of this team.....they not only played winning baseball, but they played fun baseball with professionalism....they are also the most balanced Sox team(Offense, Starting Pitching, Bullpen, and Defense) I think the Red Sox have had in my 40 years rooting for them.

I cannot say enough about the job Ben C did in putting together this wonderful bunch!! On that note, I have always been a Big Theo supporter, and some posters her have, that 2004 was not Theo's team(sans the Nomar trade), but inherited.....and 2007 was won in large part based on the Lowell, Beckeet trade, while Theo was in the Ape suit...I have always stuck up for Theo and still will, but if Ben C pulls off a WS win this year, Theo had better get that team in Chicago going or his Legacy as a boy genious is goin to be tougher to defend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I cannot see nay true Sox fan not being enamored and proud of this team.....they not only played winning baseball, but they played fun baseball with professionalism....they are also the most balanced Sox team(Offense, Starting Pitching, Bullpen, and Defense) I think the Red Sox have had in my 40 years rooting for them.

I cannot say enough about the job Ben C did in putting together this wonderful bunch!! On that note, I have always been a Big Theo supporter, and some posters her have, that 2004 was not Theo's team(sans the Nomar trade), but inherited.....and 2007 was won in large part based on the Lowell, Beckeet trade, while Theo was in the Ape suit...I have always stuck up for Theo and still will, but if Ben C pulls off a WS win this year, Theo had better get that team in Chicago going or his Legacy as a boy genious is goin to be tougher to defend.

I agree

First, they played good baseball.  It's all you can ask for and we saw terrible ball for over a year prio

Second, I agree in general about the GM comments but re:  Theo, in the end, he lost his way and was no longer a viable GM - I saw that starting in 2008 in some of his decisions and stubborness......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The only criticism was Farrell - he made some decisions that let the Rays get back into the series

Unlike Francona, Farrell admitted the error and corrected it

Francona would had sat up there and lied, and then continued to do the exact same things

From you, maybe, but there were several doom-and-gloom threads yesterday attacking everybody from Farrell to the clubhouse attendant.

[/QUOTE]

I stayed away from the forum yesterday because I knew thats what would be going on. Whats worse, Id have been one of them because I was super ticked. Sometimes it does no good to even read my own posts, so I stayed at a distance. Glad I did.

[/QUOTE]

I stay away too because sometimes I'm in no mood to see all the btching and whning that goes on here after a loss (and often after wins.) I don't mind healthy venting and smart debate but too often it goes way past healthy vending and smart debate.

Because of the Sox experiences in the 1970s when I was a kid, I always try to temper enthusiasm with skepticism. And I use the word skepticism for a specific reason.

In regard to a sports team, to me, being skeptical is a rational assessment of what could go wrong. Being cynical is a leap beyond that where there's an automatic assumption that what could go wrong WILL go wrong.

Once I really looked at this team coming out of spring training, there was a lot to like it they stayed healthy and everyone performed to a career norm -- not career year, just career norm or better point, a reasonable expectation of what they could do if healthy.

So I'm not surprised at the good season, although I never expected a 97-win season. But I never assumed it was going to happen. I was ALWAYS wary that the Sox wouldn't overcome bullpen issues, that there would be a major slump, or major injuries to the lineup. 

In the  end, it's always a balanceing act. I try to stay postive without getting too high during good times nor too low during slumps. And while I'm always wary of something bad to happen, I don't wallow in misery and forget to enjoy the good times because I'm waiting for something bad to happen.

I never felt a playoff spot, the AL East, the best record and the ALDS were wrapped up until it actually happened, even though others often called it a done deal before it happened. I've been burned in the past. But I also didn't go through those times, EXPECTING a collapse of some sort.

It's a cliche, but I really do take it one game at a time.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

I had been overvaluing our team for 3 or 4 years, then when I finally go low, they surprise me.

[/QUOTE]

The good thing is that there does not seem to be any weak link on the team. No real Achilles heal. Like you said, we don't have that one big right handed bat, but it doesn't seem to matter. The lineup is strong, top to bottom , and they score all the runs needed. The pitching and defense are both good. I might be wrong , but just off the top of my head,  I don't think they made a single error in this series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While I intensely downplayed our chances to win this year last winter, I did say that this team really only truly became Ben's team with the Dodger trade, and that he deserved a chance to prove himself.

He has proved it and then some!

Way to go Ben!

Great season!

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I have enjoyed this season, and am continuing to enjoy the playoffs.  I thought they would be a good team, 85-90 wins, but as many have said not best in baseball good.  As I said a couple of weeks ago in some thread, this will be a fun team to replay in Strat.  I am curious to see the defensive ratings the game gives Napoli and Drew.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

I have enjoyed this season, and am continuing to enjoy the playoffs.  I thought they would be a good team, 85-90 wins, but as many have said not best in baseball good.  As I said a couple of weeks ago in some thread, this will be a fun team to replay in Strat.  I am curious to see the defensive ratings the game gives Napoli and Drew.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

If the infield was not in, I think Napoli catches the linedrive single that plated the Rays' only run.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Last night I was looking at the guys coming to the plate from the viewpoint of a fan of the opposition.  I feared nearly every one of the Boston hitters!  There are no easy outs in our lineup, even when we go bench.   Same with the starting pitching, all guys capable of shutting you down, and then the premier closer in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

If the infield was not in, I think Napoli catches the linedrive single that plated the Rays' only run.

ABSOLUTELY.  he had to play the infield in though.  but he was in 15' and almost got to it.  back at normal depth he probably doesnt even need to jump.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY.  he had to play the infield in though.  but he was in 15' and almost got to it.  back at normal depth he probably doesnt even need to jump.

[/QUOTE]

I looked at the replay twice. Napoli squated down right as the pitch was to the plate. At first I thought maybe that helped him jump and extend to his fullest, but then I started thinking maybe he was too low to start and might have caught it had he been in a normal crouch and jumped quickly when it was hit. 

It was a bang-bang play, and I don't fault Naps for not catching it, but I do think the ball might have been "catchable" even with the drawn in infield.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Last night I was looking at the guys coming to the plate from the viewpoint of a fan of the opposition.  I feared nearly every one of the Boston hitters!  There are no easy outs in our lineup, even when we go bench.   Same with the starting pitching, all guys capable of shutting you down, and then the premier closer in the game.

Yes. I mentioned earlier and the stats show it, our line-up is very balanced. We have 9 guys with an OPS over .771, and only Middy is low, but he came on the second half with an .805 OPS. That makes 10 formidable hitters.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE] 20 lashes with wet spaghetti...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

[QUOTE]

I always liked the team

But my concern had always been the starting pitching

The Peavy trade helped a lot.  Buck coming back of course which based on history, I did not expect.  And Lester is starting to show some maturity.

They are showing me a new model to win - balanced pitching staff and you don't need a Manny R in your line up to win...This is such a well-balanced team.  I also like how Ben allocated offense at some slots and defense at others. 

We also have a key guy like Salty who has improved greatly - that goes a long way

I knew going into the season they would be better than the yankees.

After about a month I thought they would compete for that 5th WC.

Of course today, they have exceeded all expectations and it's really easy to like these guys as much as 04 and 07 teams..........

If they win it all, I will be extremely happy for Ben C.......but it all started by dumping the guys I absolutely hated!!!!

The Tigers scare me a little but honestly not as much as Tampa

The only NL team that scares me is Kershaw's team if he can go 3x

No doubt; Kershaw is scary. But it would be fun playing against our old albatrosses.

[/QUOTE]

could you imagine poor Carl Crawford in Fenway in the WS?!  now that would be hilarious!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

One thing is for sure

You could go around the 25 man roster and compare it the 230 million dollar team and there is not one single player you would trade for....not a single one.........that has never happened before in my lifetime.......amazing.........Did I mention how much I love Cashman?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I think most of the cynicism expressed on this board is not the good old ingrained Red Sox fan doom and gloom mentality, but rather just the hard-to-resist force of being a blowhard internet voice.  If you look at any public forum on the internet, it is chock full of overly negative criticisms.  Its easier to do on the web than in real life.

Astutely observed and written.  Did someone in Hamlet said, "conscience doth make cowards of us all?"  If that is true, the internet frees us from our consciences and allows us to vent.  I personally try to be sensible and balanced, but have to admit to going ape now and then.  If, for example, I ever see Ben C face to fact I will punch his lights out for trading away Iglesias even though there were many sound baseball reasons for making it--one of whom pitched 5.2 innings last night. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes. I mentioned earlier and the stats show it, our line-up is very balanced. We have 9 guys with an OPS over .771, and only Middy is low, but he came on the second half with an .805 OPS. That makes 10 formidable hitters.

[/QUOTE]

Always good to see the numbers supporting the insights.  I too have called this the "distributed" lineup. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Being a huge RS fan and a huge optimist doesn't always go hand in hand. But after a few years of nothing going right [remember Bob V and all the injuries of yrs past] Seems the stars have aligned for RS this year, everything is working out as planned. Even as I predicted a 90 win season and a chance of WC entry to playoffs did I ever imagine that 013 would end up like this. Must be something to do with that 13 number? For me no matter how this year ends it will be one that I will always remember. If they somehow manage to win it all, nothing could ever be better than 04, but this will be right up there!