What to do about Pedroia?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

What to do about Pedroia?

I dont get to see many games where I live, but the comments in the papers and boards and the numbers themselves are pretty clear..Peedee is a hurtin' cowboy; can't hit and recently can't field.

So, what to do?

Give him Sunday off and hope two days makes a difference?

Give him lots of days once Scutarro is back?

Or, ( gulp ), have him get that screw out of his foot now, live with Lowrie/Sutton, and welcome him back in September when we'll really need him?

Questions, comments, snarky remarks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Re: What to do about Pedroia?

Pedey's been struggling. There's no doubt about it. However, I think you have to let him play through it. His defense (today's 9th inning blunder aside) has been solid and OBP has been tolerable. The Yankees seem to bring out the best in him this year. Hopefully, the lazer show reignites this week against them and turns his season around.

If Pedey continues to struggle post-NY, then I would probably consider moving him down in the order and moving Crawford up. Problem with that is, that gives us three stright lefties at the top of the order and we'll face at least one LH starting pitcher (likely Reyes) in Toronto.

Long term, even with today's heroics, I'm still more concerned with Drew's lack of production (12 RBI's all season is pathetic from a corner OF) and the pitching staff (no length from starters and inconsistency of the pen).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

put him in the 6 or 7 hole and move crawfud into the #2

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

"Tie him to the car and draaaaaaaaaaag him".

http://www.youtube.com/qwatch?v=0VXh4cxQ5BE&feature=related

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

In Response to What to do about Pedroia?:
    [QUOTE]  I dont get to see many games where I live, but the comments in the papers and boards and the numbers themselves are pretty clear..Peedee is a hurtin' cowboy; can't hit and recently can't field. So, what to do? Give him Sunday off and hope two days makes a difference? Give him lots of days once Scutarro is back? Or, ( gulp ), have him get that screw out of his foot now, live with Lowrie/Sutton, and welcome him back in September when we'll really need him?  Questions, comments, snarky remarks?
    Posted by Tropical-Nation[/QUOTE]

Your post history is overloaded with criticism of Pedroia. Why the fetish?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: What to do about Pedroia?:
    [QUOTE]What to do with washed up "I lost my cool" and everything else and have been lit up in my last two squats Varitik. I have a lot of pride and won't go away, you'll have to kick me off the team and most Red Sox fans love me and my Mendoza line hitting, paper arm throwing, granny behind the plate passed ball machine. So if you ever consider kicking me out of Boston, I'm going to go down to Tampa and show what a difference I make when I put my fingers down.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

pretty sure noone was discussing varitek.  if u have a problem with him just go to another discussion that is discussing him or make one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]Pedroia has a screw in his foot that won't come out until year end. He's not going to be the same guy as his MVP form this year. He will probably get closer to it after the screw comes out. He's still one of the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball, and isn't a bad hitting 2nd baseman, either. The 3rd error of the year followed a brilliant DP he turned earlier in the game There is nothing to do about Pedroia. What to do about a pen that has Paps, Bard and Aceves and Slackey and Wastefield in the starting rotation? What to do about a butcher at SS who is nearly automatic out agianst RHP. What to do about two paper arm catcher, one who has been a Mendoza hitter for years and is a human passed ball.  This thread isn't worthy of discussion.  
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]
    Please like another team because it seems you have a problem with half of this one. Without Lowrie and Tek and jacoby and CC and Salty and Aceves and Wakefield we are not over 500.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

you mean Pedroia with his best UZR in recent years so far this season? Pedroia has so much time to get his avg. before the end of the season let a lone the all-star break that I am not worried about him. I would put a gimpy Pedroia out there anyday over Lowrie or Sutton

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Surprise to hear Pedroia say he thought the ball would come up, when infielders are taught to stay down until the ball comes up. The rule is, "Hands out front, hands down." That way, if the ball comes up, you can catch it or at least trap it.
    It was a rare error. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

what to do about Pedroia? absolutely nothing. leave him alone. he's the heart and sole of this team and will be just fine. it's the first week of june and we are chasing 1 game below the yankees. everybody needs to relax and chill out. Pedy is the last problem this board has to worry about. how bout the fact that buch has a sore back? diceK is done. yesterday this team showed true grit and never gave up and ended up winning an incredible game.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Dustin Pedroia is in a very extended slump. I am not sure how much the return from surgery and the screw in his foot have to do with that. His play in the field has been very good and one misplayed hop isn't indicative of much. His SB numbers look to be at or above his career norms.

Dustin is a big swinger that goes after elevated pitches and he is SO more often so far this year than was his norm and there are some more at-em balls too. In 89 less plate appearances than he had in all of 2010 he has the same BB and SO total.

But what to do? Nothing right now. The RS don't have better options on the bench or in the system and the chances are good that he will break out at some point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They could possibly move Pedey down in the line-up for a little bit, until he turns it around.

Maybe go with...

1) Ells
    2) Craw
    3) Youk
    4) AGon
    5) Papi
    6) Pedey
    7) Jed
    8) Drew
    9) Salty

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYSawxFan. Show NYSawxFan's posts

[QUOTE]  I dont get to see many games where I live, but the comments in the papers and boards and the numbers themselves are pretty clear..Peedee is a hurtin' cowboy; can't hit and recently can't field. So, what to do? Give him Sunday off and hope two days makes a difference? Give him lots of days once Scutarro is back? Or, ( gulp ), have him get that screw out of his foot now, live with Lowrie/Sutton, and welcome him back in September when we'll really need him?  Questions, comments, snarky remarks?

I know the error yesterday helped them blow a four run lead in the ninth, but with all of the spectacular plays Pedey has made in the past and continues to make I don't believe you can really say he can't field anymore. I am pretty sure no major leaguers make it through a whole season without making an error once in awhile.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I'm just happy he's out there.  If he finishes at 260 with ten homers, 70 RBI's and 25 steals I wiil take it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It is entirely possible pitchers are pitching him to pattern: First pitch strike, then don't give him another. Let him expand the zone on his own.

It's even more so with Vlad: Don't throw him any strikes!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Most good players have tough streaks.  I think many of us have been spoiled because Dustin has been such an important part of the teams success since arriving.  He will be fine, all injuries take time to get over and not feel like any wrong move could put you right back on the DL.  He will get over it 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My suggestion is to try to trade for him in your roto leagues.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I wasn't aware his injuries were causing poor plate discipline.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pedroia has built up so much good will with the fans and the media that he has become immune to criticism.  That should not be.  He should be evaluated objectively like any other player. He has underachieved at the plate so far this season due to the fact that he has not made adjustments to the way he is being pitched. It is up to Pedey to recognize this and correct it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Surprise to hear Pedroia say he thought the ball would come up, when infielders are taught to stay down until the ball comes up. The rule is, "Hands out front, hands down." That way, if the ball comes up, you can catch it or at least trap it. It was a rare error. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

For anyone who has ever played an infield position, it's unnatural to try to move the glove down on a ball than come up on it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]It is entirely possible pitchers are pitching him to pattern: First pitch strike, then don't give him another. Let him expand the zone on his own. It's even more so with Vlad: Don't throw him any strikes!
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
     You are absolutely correct about this. He takes the 1st pitch---which is often right down the middle & the best pitch he's gonna see---for a strike and then winds up swinging at pitches way out of the zone. What is also very troubling is that he used to foul off many of the bad pitches, now he's swinging, missing, and striking out, often looking like he's totally overmatched.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Pedroia has built up so much good will with the fans and the media that he has become immune to criticism.  That should not be.  He should be evaluated objectively like any other player. He has underachieved at the plate so far this season due to the fact that he has not made adjustments to the way he is being pitched. It is up to Pedey to recognize this and correct it.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

There is some truth to what you say.  But, the goodwill has been built by his coming through again and again and being a leader/sparkplug/catalyst/heart of this team since 07.  Baseball is a sport of failure where even the very best sustain long periods of struggle.  So, if you feel he should be criticized, have at it.  But those of us that don't feel the need are coming from a place of understanding.  Baseball is cruel.  Dusty is struggling.  But, a season has many twists and turns.  I have a gut feeling, unless the foot screws win out and he can't go, that he will be right in the thick of things as the season gets hot and tense.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do about Pedroia? :  You are absolutely correct about this. He takes the 1st pitch---which is often right down the middle & the best pitch he's gonna see---for a strike and then winds up swinging at pitches way out of the zone. What is also very troubling is that he used to foul off many of the bad pitches, now he's swinging,  missing, and striking out, often looking like he's totally overmatched.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]He's seeing more pitches per PA than any other RS player which sort of runs counter to the theory that he isn't fouling off bad pitches when he protects the plate.

Pedey is a pretty unconventional hitter to start with. I have always felt he handles the high pitch better than most hitters but he also offers at way more than a hitter with his track record should. When he isn't going good it doesn't look pretty. He swings hard at everything, is aggressive about protecting the plate once he is down on the count and his up cut doesn't seem to match his physical stature.

But even in a bad patch he is more than adequate at the role he has on this team which is being the two hitter. His OBP season to date is above .350 and over the last 28 days over .340. He sees a ton of pitches per PA and can protect a runner. The screws in his foot are "over played" IMHO because it just doesn't show in his range on defense and he already has 13 SB in 57 games while his previous career high was 20 (twice both times in over 150 games).

He'll probably come out of it but the RS offense isn't a headache, it is second in run production in the AL and less dependent on HRs that the leader (NYY).

What to do about Pedroia? Leave it alone and wait for the hot streak IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts