What to do about Pedroia?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Re: What to do about Pedroia?

In Response to Re: What to do about Pedroia?:

I'd bat Lowrie sixth and Pedroia seventh.  He is probably the absolute worst choice (not matter how he's going) to bat second.  He is a free-wheeling "kill-it" type batter - not want you want batting second especially behind speed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do about Pedroia? : I'd bat Lowrie sixth and Pedroia seventh.  He is probably the absolute worst choice (not matter how he's going) to bat second.  He is a free-wheeling "kill-it" type batter - not want you want batting second especially behind speed.
    Posted by bingobilly[/QUOTE]The stats just don't support this opinion. High OBP, high pitches per PA, historically low SO totals. Lowrie versus RH pitchers is a bottom third of the order guy.

In his career Pedey SO less than 0.09% of the time. Carl Crawford in comparison in his career has SO 1.4% of his PAs, and has a career OBP of .335.

In the last 23 games Crawford has picked it up and Pedey has been slumping, right? Well Pedey in that time frame has a .358 OBP and Crawford .337.

Seems even when he sux, Pedey gets on base more, which is what the guy in front of Adrian Gonzalez, Youk and Ortiz is supposed to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Some folks have used stats to show that Pedroia hasn't really slumped at the plate. Here are some stats that maybe differ a bit and which I find troubling. Thru 57 games Pedroia has struck out 38 times. Pedroia was injured much of last year but in his last full season in 2009 he only struck out 45 times in 154 games. He's currently on a path to more than double that. People have also referred to his OBP. Since his 1st full season in 2007 Pedroia's OBP has gone down every year from .380 to his current .355. To me poor plate discipline---not swinging at good 1st pitch strikes and flailing at pitches out of the zone---are the biggest issues. Most fans figure that this is just a temporary slump but you can also suggest that the downward trajectory may be more worrisome than that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do about Pedroia? : There is some truth to what you say.  But, the goodwill has been built by his coming through again and again and being a leader/sparkplug/catalyst/heart of this team since 07.  Baseball is a sport of failure where even the very best sustain long periods of struggle.  So, if you feel he should be criticized, have at it.  But those of us that don't feel the need are coming from a place of understanding.  Baseball is cruel.  Dusty is struggling.  But, a season has many twists and turns.  I have a gut feeling, unless the foot screws win out and he can't go, that he will be right in the thick of things as the season gets hot and tense.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Look, I like him just as much as you do, and I hope that he turns things around. I just don't think it will happen automatically. It is up to him to realize how they are getting him out and make the needed adjustments.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It isn't a matter of using stats to show he hasn't really slumped at the plate because he is playing below his career averages.

The point is that while slumping his numbers are still are more than good enough to man the 2 spot. The logical guys on the roster right now to replace him aren't going to give more of what that role calls for than a slumping Pedey has.

The premise of this thread is far less logical than the cries for Ortiz to be benched or DFA'ed were last year.

There is a reason why we are all posting here and Francona is posting the line-up cards.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

This isn't just a 2011 slump, the downward trend of Pedroia's numbers has occurred over the past few years. The OBP has gone from .380 in 2007 to the current 355 and his batting average since that time has gone from a high of .326 in 2008 to .296, .288, and the current .244. His defense is stellar but his hitting is worrisome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

In his career Pedey SO less than 0.09% of the time. Carl Crawford in comparison in his career has SO 1.4% of his PAs, and has a career OBP of .335

I am sorry fiveatz but I find it hard to believe that Pedey strikes out less than 0.09% of the time.  Really, so 1/100th of 1%.  One percent of 600 plate appearances in a season is about normal, so 1% of 600 is 6, 1/100th of a percent would be LESS THAN ONE STRIKEOUT PER SEASON.  Are you sure you didn't mean 9% instead?

Sections
Shortcuts