What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?

I vote for booting betterredthandead and keeping fivekatz, et al, contributing to this board.

Francona will figure it out.  Right now, it sure looks as though Miller will remain a starter, but he does have a history of control issues (which happily have not been in evidence since he joined the club).  Lackey is likely to keep starting, as will Buchholz, Lester, and Beckett.  But we're not quite at the halfway point, and having two extra starters--Wakefield and Aceves--is a problem most other managers would love to have. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?

In Theory, Lackey would be the one going to the pen.  In reality, I think it's back to the pen for Wakefield.  It's the easiest solution.  I think they'll squeeze in another round of the rotation to give everyone an extra days rest while allowing Wakefield to stay in a bit longer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If I were Wakefield I would take it a final slap in the face to be demoted to the pen, whilst Lackey continues to be the best #5 in baseball after Barry Zito.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SurfinSoxFan. Show SurfinSoxFan's posts

move lackey to the pen....or DFA.... now  I know the sencond wont haappen but he is just terrible.... 

The Sox have a better chance of winning with wake then with Lackey....screw his ego and his pay check if he cant play send him packing to the pen or DFA....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wakefield's job is spot starter and long relief.  That's why he's on the team.

Wake's body cannot hold up pitching every 5th day.  He will break down.  By sitting him now, he'll be ready if another pitcher goes down or if Miller doesn't hold up.

As this season has already proven, Wake will get his starts even if he goes to the bullpen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

The bigger question is: Why are Cameron and D-Mac still on this team?  They are killing them.  Talk about two guys who can't hit and Cameron can't field anymore either.  They don't steal bases and D-Mac is a terrible baserunner (i.e. Cleveland game)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Lackey will eventually get straightened out, then wake goes to the pen and miller should stay in the rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?:
    Posted by betterredthandead

Since he won't be used in the post season, keep running him out there as an innings-eater starter, (with a quick hook if he is having an off-day) until his arm falls off or he otherwise breaks down, and then later in the season when the push is on, replace him as a starter with fresh arms i.e. Lackey, Aceves, Miller, Doubront.

Sounds harsh, but he is on a year-to-year contract, and it's not like having to protect a young pitcher for a lengthy career. 

"He who pays the piper, picks the tune."  And in this case it may be Wake's swan song.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Re: What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?:
    Wakefield's job is spot starter and long relief.  That's why he's on the team. Wake's body cannot hold up pitching every 5th day.  He will break down.  By sitting him now, he'll be ready if another pitcher goes down or if Miller doesn't hold up. As this season has already proven, Wake will get his starts even if he goes to the bullpen.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

you got it right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If Lackey were to sustain a new "injury????"  Problem solved!   :)

SORRY!  I have never liked the guy!  I feel for his wife, & how that may be "troubling him," but I don't think that's his problem!  MOST of his pitching, where his stats are decent, is with the AL West.  At that time, a very weak division.  I just don't think he's ever been very good.  He generally hurts us more than he is capable of helping.  Easily one of the FO's worst moves!!!!  WE'RE stuck!!!!  Let's just hope he returns to "LUCKY" Lackey, as we will keep trotting him out there.  Let's hope we average 6 - 7 runs for the rest of his many starts this season!!!!  Keep Wake as the "spot" starter to give the "regular" starters extra rest.  Wish we could keep him, & sent Lackey to AAA!  Thank God for Aceves to relieve Lackey when he lets the first guy to get on SPOOK THE HELL out of him!  That's when he unravels!!!  This guy is a VETERAN # 2 STARTER?!?!?!?!  Cut the $h!t!!!!!!  He's a weak sister, who throws a tissy fit when his defense doesn't bail him out, & gets totally unnerved when 1 guy gets on!  Apparently, the guys on the team really like him though?????  Is that true?

I was thinking about how confident I felt last night with Miller pitching!  :)   :)
    With Lackey, I'm always just waiting for him to fall apart!  :(  :(

OK......  Got that off of my chest! :)  I'll be pulling for him when he's in there!  I HOPE he proves me wrong!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OH!!!  BTW......   Betterdead is a moron :) & his transparently disingenuous threads are getting boring!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield?:
    Wakefield's job is spot starter and long relief.  That's why he's on the team. Wake's body cannot hold up pitching every 5th day.  He will break down.  By sitting him now, he'll be ready if another pitcher goes down or if Miller doesn't hold up. As this season has already proven, Wake will get his starts even if he goes to the bullpen.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

What proof or method of medical awareness do you have that Wakefield "body cannot hold up pitching every 5th day." How do you know he will break down?
    Didn't he throw 119 pitches, then 99 pitches, then go another solid 6 with a pinch hitter the only reason he was pulled after 88 pitches....tell me, has he been on the DL this season? Do you always write fiction, or is it that you believe everything that is said about Wakefield and his age.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

To para-phrase 'to ignore history is to be condemned to repeat it' and Wake's history is a 5+ ERA so if he continues to pitch expect some beatings in his future. Son I'm not saying you have to go home but you can't stay here anymore

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Stunning that fools vote to keep Wastefield in the rotation. He should be DL'd or DFA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, let's DL one of the staff's only healthy starting pitchers. THIS SEASON--He hasn't missed a game due to the flu, hasn't missed a game due to shoulder soreness, hasn't missed a game due to personal issues, hasn't missed a game because of a muscle tear, hasn't missed a game due to a stiff back. Yet all the other "young" guys have....and people are worried about Wakefield not being able to go every 5 days due to health...Idiots

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They say "it always works itself out" for a reason..If Lackey has more of the same his next couple starts before Buch comes back, I think he should be on the DL. Miller, so far, is earning a #5 spot. And until Wake gives them a reason, he too, should have a spot as the #4. Aceves is a good long/spot start man..Lackey's performance the next 1 or 2 starts is the wildcard in all this IMO..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

yes, let's DL one of the staff's only healthy starting pitchers. THIS SEASON--He hasn't missed a game due to the flu, hasn't missed a game due to shoulder soreness, hasn't missed a game due to personal issues, hasn't missed a game because of a muscle tear, hasn't missed a game due to a stiff back. Yet all the other "young" guys have....and people are worried about Wakefield not being able to go every 5 days due to health...Idiots
    Posted by dannycater

I'm worried that he can go every 5 days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wakefield is averaging a squat time of abour a week. Calling Wakefield "healthy" is like calling the Marines the Marine corpse. It means your stupid. No paunched 45 year old man is MLB healthy, and you can't spend your way to productivity and prosperity.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

To para-phrase 'to ignore history is to be condemned to repeat it' and Wake's history is a 5+ ERA so if he continues to pitch expect some beatings in his future. Son I'm not saying you have to go home but you can't stay here anymore
    Posted by attic-dan

Because the back surgery clearly didn't have anything to do with his performance at the start of 2010 right?  He has a 4.50 ERA as a starter this season, with a 1.20 WHIP averaging about 6 1/3 IP per start.  I'll take that from a #6 starter, especially considering 2 of the top 5 starters are on the DL (Buch and Dice).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

My vote is for putting Wakes back in the pen.

Lackey can be better than he has been.  Question is: how do we bring that out?

And Miller has been a valuable addition.

When Buch comes back and they go to a 6-man rotation, it'll be a good thing.  How can you have too much pitching?

One game in back of NYY in the loss column, true, but tied for second-most wins in the majors and third-best winning percentage in the majors.

Very little is wrong with this picture.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It should be noted that the RS don't have a LH reliever, so it is possible that the RS move Miller to the BP. For the moment they are dealing with really small sample sets for Miller, so I am sure that they really want to see another start and see if he can continue to contain is BB total, which has been his biggest issue as a MLB pitcher. That is critical to whatever they do with him.

Lackey is a huge investment, so the RS are going to keep trying to get that on track.

Wakefield they know what they get both he good and the bad. His ability to hold up starting every five days is IMO an over blown argument.

It is a tough decision BUT if I had to guess unless Miller's 3rd start is even better than the first two outings or Lackey or Wake gets hurt, Miller goes to the BP to give the RS a LH coming out of the BP.

Just my take

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

It should be noted that the RS don't have a LH reliever, so it is possible that the RS move Miller to the BP. For the moment they are dealing with really small sample sets for Miller, so I am sure that they really want to see another start and see if he can continue to contain is BB total, which has been his biggest issue as a MLB pitcher. That is critical to whatever they do with him. Lackey is a huge investment, so the RS are going to keep trying to get that on track. Wakefield they know what they get both he good and the bad. His ability to hold up starting every five days is IMO an over blown argument. It is a tough decision BUT if I had to guess unless Miller's 3rd start is even better than the first two outings or Lackey or Wake gets hurt, Miller goes to the BP to give the RS a LH coming out of the BP. Just my take
    Posted by fivekatz

I wonder who won't admit the good part of Wakefield's performance? You may see more Homerun Service ads.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: What to do about Timmy? Buch returns from the DL soon, What do you do with Wakefield? : I wonder who won't admit the good part of Wakefield's performance? You may see more Homerun Service ads.
    Posted by nhsteven
    Only when you all quote them in your posts. I put the noise on mute a long time ago.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

unless Miller's 3rd start is even better than the first two outings

So, despite two quality starts from a young pitcher, you want to send him a confidence boost by demoting him to the bullpen unless he goes 7 innings of 1 or 2 runs and 0 walks?

10K, our communication styles are different, but you have some insightful posts. Surely, you don't endorse sending a guy with BB issues to a pen role so that Wakefield can continue his quality pitching where ERA isn't as important as his part-time once a week non-qualified WHIP is the barometer for a decision like this.

I think you do eveything possible to boost Miller's confidence as a starter and keep him as a starter after his first rough patch. He may not survive the confidence test to be a solid long career starter, but I don't think you bust him down to pen arm so he can watch the great Tim Wakefield work his art form at 45 years old. Come on.

Sections
Shortcuts