What to do at SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: What to do at SS?

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be given every opportunity to keep the shortstop job. But the mistake of trading Iglesias for Peavy will not go away any time soon. And , please don't tell me that Iglesias made two errors in the post season. So what.  And, please don't say that we don't win it without Peavy. That is simply not true. Let me add that Ben has made some really good moves. But trading Iglesias for Peavy was not one of them.  Now we have threads asking what to do at shortstop. 

[/QUOTE]

So what?  Those Iglesias errors were huge in dooming Detroit.  Ironic and true.  Our choices at short are mainly re-sign Drew or play Bogaerts, not a bad dilemma.  I'd personally take either of those guys as my every day shortstop over Iglesias.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

All I am saying is Ben sees Bogaerts as a SS. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Bogaerts is the present SS, I know that Farrell is smitten with Drew however as a fan I see to many holes in his game but that could be due to his prior injury. In either case he is to expensive for the time being. The Sox don't have the financial ability to offer him more than 2 mil a year and his agent is Bora$$. So until they free up cash Drew is like the proverbial ship cast to the sea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben clearly sees  Boegarts as the SS. That was made clear with the trade for Peavy. 

Boegarts has done nothing to discourage the idea. He got some pressure situation starts at SS and did not look like a deer in the headlights in the field or at the plate.  It's been said before. IF he can play SS you maximize his value by playing him at SS. 
    I think Ben has decided he can do it. 

[/QUOTE]

Ben has said he might be getting another infielder and not leaving the job entirely to Bogaerts. I'm not sure he's totally on board with giving him the job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be given every opportunity to keep the shortstop job. But the mistake of trading Iglesias for Peavy will not go away any time soon. And , please don't tell me that Iglesias made two errors in the post season. So what.  And, please don't say that we don't win it without Peavy. That is simply not true. Let me add that Ben has made some really good moves. But trading Iglesias for Peavy was not one of them.  Now we have threads asking what to do at shortstop. 

[/QUOTE]

I think we lose with Inglesias last season. Inglesias is all about flashy plays. He jumps in the air even when it's not necessary. I'd rather have a guy who knows what he's doing, and doesn't need the fanfare to add to good plays. It may not get noticed as much, but it's solid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is not false either.  The only truth is the Sox won the World Series with Peavy.  Anything is just conjecture.  And to say we have threads asking what to do at shortstop doesn't prove anything either.  I could start a thread to say what do we do about second base.  Doesn't mean Pedroia is bad, just means I am one person with an idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure Peavy is the most enticing target for a team that gave away one of their top ten prospects just so someone else could take over a contract less than half the size of Peavy's

[/QUOTE]

notin, I have a few questions for you:

1) Who can afford and would give us something useful for Peavy (like maybe a CF'er or SS)?

2) Who might take Dempster + $2-4M in cash for a good utility IF'er, all glove SS, or a platoon CF'er who hits lefties well and can play plus defense in Fenway?

3) Who could use a guy like Gomes and could take on his salary by giving us a cheap SS or CF'er?

4) Is there any team that would take Dempster and Gomes with not salary relief? If yes, can we expect to get anything decent (prospect) and/or useful (ML player at SS or CF) in return?

[/QUOTE]

Quick reply to your Notin question:

BenC waited too long or didn't like the value--Brendan Ryan/ Rafael Furcal. Both FA that signed for about 1/2 per year than Drew got last year( Furcal with incentives). The opportunity was there and he didn't take it which tells me he either wants Drew but is waitng for him to take one year or he has made up his mind and Holt or McCoy will be the super subs on the cheap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what?  Those Iglesias errors were huge in dooming Detroit.  Ironic and true.  Our choices at short are mainly re-sign Drew or play Bogaerts, not a bad dilemma.  I'd personally take either of those guys as my every day shortstop over Iglesias.

[/QUOTE]

dgale-------------you are adding to the question--Xander is the SS--until or if Drew signs or they get a cheap replacement and they trade WMB.

Talk to us about Iggy all you and all others want---it was a good trade and will look even better when Peavy is traded and / or when Iggy loses his starting job and becomes a super sub because he shows the world once and for all, hitting is not his game. He has a great glove until he tries to do too much with his glove. He is a magician at times but a team can only have a .100 to .200 magician with little or no pop around for too long.

He served his purpose well in Detroit. The Tigers, Dodgers, Angels  could all use his glove because they have such great bats--the Sox can't afford two poor hitters in the lineup at SS and catcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Xander has shown in Pawtucket he is very capable of playing SS at a very acceptable level. 

Don't underestimate Marrero being ready after 1-2 months of AAA if the need arises to bring up a 2B or SS. He is ready now with the glive, arm and head. Ideally cold use more PA's in AAA, but is ready if needed. 

Would not surprise me either if Cechinni is ready in a similar time frame and is tearing up AAA right from the get go

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know right mex...OMG, we have FANS asking about SS? Well, we must have made the wrong move since the FANS are asking. The Sox are looking for a possible servicable BU. Doesnt look like the professionals are worried too much. Maybe a couple armchair Gm's, but not the professionals.

Bogaerts should start at SS and should be just fine. Maybe a good BU if anything.Middy should be given the chance at 3b too. For some reason I think he will do good this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

[QUOTE]

Hope we re-sign Drew and probably so does Pedroia, those two are in sync.  I think Middlebrooks is gone via trade.  I believe we'll end up with Stanton in left and Drew at short opening day 2014. 

I hope you're right about Drew.

[/QUOTE]i'm hearing that inquiries on Drew are growing...FAN last night said he may be on the Mets radar, they are said to be unhappy with Tejada's offensive shortcomings...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It's Bogaerts. Drew is gone.  It will be a basic utility IF.

I can't believe some folks still think trading Iglesias was a mistake. Peavy filled a vital role down the stretch and can still help this year, assuming he isn't the starter who is dealt.  Even then he'll bring value back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hope we re-sign Drew and probably so does Pedroia, those two are in sync.  I think Middlebrooks is gone via trade.  I believe we'll end up with Stanton in left and Drew at short opening day 2014. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]i'm hearing that inquiries on Drew are growing...FAN last night said he may be on the Mets radar, they are said to be unhappy with Tejada's offensive shortcomings...

[/QUOTE]

This is my guess too jete. Mets seem like a perfect fit for him. They got granderson (QO), so now what happens? lose a comp pick if they have one for signing Drew?

I said a while ago that Drew wont sign right away, but he will for at least 3 years, maybe 4.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is my guess too jete. Mets seem like a perfect fit for him. They got granderson (QO), so now what happens? lose a comp pick if they have one for signing Drew?

I said a while ago that Drew wont sign right away, but he will for at least 3 years, maybe 4.

[/QUOTE] Morning SP, not that i know for sure, but i don't think that pick would matter too much..not saying they would be blase,  just my feeling that they will likely draft a corner IF or P..... admittedly just spec on my part, not familiar with what the Mets may have at the upper minor levels. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we lose with Inglesias last season. Inglesias is all about flashy plays. He jumps in the air even when it's not necessary. I'd rather have a guy who knows what he's doing, and doesn't need the fanfare to add to good plays. It may not get noticed as much, but it's solid.

[/QUOTE]
    I see this traditon of kicking people when they're out the door still continues.

I think we lose with Iglasies last season too, but not for the reason(s) you give.  If we still had Iggy he wouldn't have made the error that allowed the Sox to beat the Tigers in game 5(?).  What he did "wrong" was in getting to a ball most SS wouldn't have gotten to and then tried to do too much with it. Bad judgement.

To say that he does it for the fanfare and isn't solid sounds like it comes from someone who doesn't watch a lot of games.  He DOES get to balls most don't get to, and often times makes plays nobody else would make - and sometimes he has to jump into the air to do it.  He should be ashamed of himself for being so talented. /s/

Under the heading of not being solid, I saw at least two instances in 2013 when our can't-miss SS of the future botched routine plays by double-pumping his throws.  That is MY defintion of "not solid". 

I will never believe that this trade was anything but a mistake for reasons I've documented ad nauseum.  Howver, it's done and I'll suck it up, live with it, and try to not bring his name up in threads.  But when people continue to stone him when he's out the door I will also defend him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I see this traditon of kicking people when they're out the door still continues.

I think we lose with Iglasies last season too, but not for the reason(s) you give.  If we still had Iggy he wouldn't have made the error that allowed the Sox to beat the Tigers in game 5(?).  What he did "wrong" was in getting to a ball most SS wouldn't have gotten to and then tried to do too much with it. Bad judgement.

To say that he does it for the fanfare and isn't solid sounds like it comes from someone who doesn't watch a lot of games.  He DOES get to balls most don't get to, and often times makes plays nobody else would make - and sometimes he has to jump into the air to do it.  He should be ashamed of himself for being so talented. /s/

Under the heading of not being solid, I saw at least two instances in 2013 when our can't-miss SS of the future botched routine plays by double-pumping his throws.  That is MY defintion of "not solid". 

I will never believe that this trade was anything but a mistake for reasons I've documented ad nauseum.  Howver, it's done and I'll suck it up, live with it, and try to not bring his name up in threads.  But when people continue to stone him when he's out the door I will also defend him. 

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a spectacular defender. No doubt. I dont care to kick players after theyre out the door myself. He helped this team when he was here, whether he was hitting above his head or not. He played out of position and did everything asked of him and then some. He earned his ring next year when were handing them out...and a loud cheer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 6 Dec

Drew is certainly a possibility. Don't underestimate how much #RedSox like him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This thread is about what to do at backup SS.  

I guess keeping Iglesias does resolve that, but probably not in the way you meant.  And it does look like Iglesias was only viewed as a backup SS, despite his fanbase insistence that everyone else should be re-arranged to accomodate him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ben will be coming up with a package of Middlebrooks & others to Detroit for IGGY and a power hitting left fielder !!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben will be coming up with a package of Middlebrooks & others to Detroit for IGGY and a power hitting left fielder !!!!

[/QUOTE]

1. DEtroit has a 3B.

2. DEtroit does not have a power-hitting LF

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Middlebrooks has way more uspide than Drew and is far cheaper and of course younger...plus this allows XB to play SS - his natural position...

a no-brainner TKO decision...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. DEtroit has a 3B.

2. DEtroit does not have a power-hitting LF

[/QUOTE]  Good job NOTIN .....   I was just testing the Sunday morning alertness of the board..... Your GOOOOOD  !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middlebrooks has way more uspide than Drew and is far cheaper and of course younger...plus this allows XB to play SS - his natural position...

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Middlebrooks also has a lot of downside in his game...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I prefer Drew @ SS and Boeggarts at 3B w/ Middlebrooks the reserve corner man.  However, Drew's asking price right now is out of our budget so there is no worries w/ going cheap w/ Middlebrooks at 3b/Boggy @ SS.  But make no mistake about it - Middlebrooks ain't no Youk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What if Middlebrooks never approaches his "upside"?  

Sections
Shortcuts