1. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Re: What to do at SS?

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be given every opportunity to keep the shortstop job. But the mistake of trading Iglesias for Peavy will not go away any time soon. And , please don't tell me that Iglesias made two errors in the post season. So what.  And, please don't say that we don't win it without Peavy. That is simply not true. Let me add that Ben has made some really good moves. But trading Iglesias for Peavy was not one of them.  Now we have threads asking what to do at shortstop. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah well at least this thread had given you a chance to whine about the Iggy trade for the hundredth time....

[/QUOTE]

Good to know that you have been keeping track of the number.  And, always good to see that using buzz words like " whine " are effective in making your argument. 

[/QUOTE]

Why thank you! and its pretty easy to keep track because your whines are so frequent...just saying.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 4h

Cherington said he would meet with Boras to check in on Drew. Nothing has changed there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

One thing I brought up that I think is more possible then people realise is the idea of Xander starting the year in AAA.

First, I have now heard Cherington talk about whether Xander is going to start the year in the majors next year twice. Both times he was non commital. When Farrel was asked about whether Bogaerts would be the starting SS next year, he seemed somewhat hesitant to me aswell.

The one thing I have learned the last few years is the organisation is now extremely conscious about adding value. What might be the best way to add value to the Red Sox? Sign Drew to a 1 year deal for under the QO. Keep Xander down long enough to add an additional year of control. Would love to know how long that would be btw. Hopefully some writer finds out for us, especially if we sign Drew. Trust me, the value of an additional year of control in the prime of Xander would be worth millions. Maybe 20-30 million. All for the sacrafice of April this year? Seems worth it to me. Bogaerts was awful this season in April in Portland. He blamed it on the cold. We might not miss much that month in performance from the Aruban. Xander could play every day in AAA.

We can then sign some scrub like Kawasaki or go with Holt while we play Middlebrooks and Drew every day in the bigs. They will hopefully be able to increase their trade value while also getting their AB's. Then in May or June, up comes Xander to take somebodies place or have Drew-Middlebrooks platoon if they are failing and we just cut or drop our back up.

We could increase the trade value of Middlebrooks and Drew. We alow them to fail, giving an easy excuse to platoon. We might get a QO pick from Drew next year if he has a good year. And we get another year of control with potentially the next Machado. Whats the harm? I am much more worried about the team in October then April and Bogaerts will be playing in October.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be given every opportunity to keep the shortstop job. But the mistake of trading Iglesias for Peavy will not go away any time soon. And , please don't tell me that Iglesias made two errors in the post season. So what.  And, please don't say that we don't win it without Peavy. That is simply not true. Let me add that Ben has made some really good moves. But trading Iglesias for Peavy was not one of them.  Now we have threads asking what to do at shortstop. 

[/QUOTE]

I think we lose with Inglesias last season. Inglesias is all about flashy plays. He jumps in the air even when it's not necessary. I'd rather have a guy who knows what he's doing, and doesn't need the fanfare to add to good plays. It may not get noticed as much, but it's solid.

[/QUOTE]
    I see this traditon of kicking people when they're out the door still continues.

I think we lose with Iglasies last season too, but not for the reason(s) you give.  If we still had Iggy he wouldn't have made the error that allowed the Sox to beat the Tigers in game 5(?).  What he did "wrong" was in getting to a ball most SS wouldn't have gotten to and then tried to do too much with it. Bad judgement.

To say that he does it for the fanfare and isn't solid sounds like it comes from someone who doesn't watch a lot of games.  He DOES get to balls most don't get to, and often times makes plays nobody else would make - and sometimes he has to jump into the air to do it.  He should be ashamed of himself for being so talented. /s/

Under the heading of not being solid, I saw at least two instances in 2013 when our can't-miss SS of the future botched routine plays by double-pumping his throws.  That is MY defintion of "not solid". 

I will never believe that this trade was anything but a mistake for reasons I've documented ad nauseum.  Howver, it's done and I'll suck it up, live with it, and try to not bring his name up in threads.  But when people continue to stone him when he's out the door I will also defend him. 

[/QUOTE]

You're only covering one error, FTR, and your opinion of it. He's not only flashy in my opinion, he's flashy in his teammates' opinions as well. Surprised you didn't know that. Last I heard, he wasn't fitting in there so well because of his "me" attitude, and too many "flashy"-type plays. That's always great for a team. 

And IMO I think it's disrespectful to keep pining for a guy who's not on the team when we have a guy playing his heart out on the field in the games. But, hey, feel free to keep defending a guy who's playing for the Tigers and not the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]
    As I said, it is what it is and I'll live with it.  It's possible for me to still like a guy who's playing for another team - who BTW, had two plays in MLB's Top Ten Defensive Plays of the Season.  Since you seem to monitor other people's posts rather closely you probably noticed that I haven't had anything to say about him or the trade in the past few days UNLESS someone else has brought it up.  My initiating another discussion about it is pointless.  IMO it was a mistake but one I have to live with. 

I find it a lot more respectful to defend someone who played for the team and gave his all than to stab him in the back on his way out of town.  But that's just me.  As Thumper's mother said, "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".   

[/QUOTE]

He was traded to another team, who, incredibly, had the same opinion as me. And I didn't even play on a team he was on. There's clearly something you're missing about him that I'm not.

The Sox 2013 Championship team played as a cohesive unit. It's quite possible someone with an inflated opinion of himself -- whether deserved or not -- was not a good fit on that team and it could be why the "supposedly" shocking trade happened. Who knows? I'm happy with the team we had, and I believe every player was the player they needed to get there as everyone contributed to their success.

[/QUOTE]

The only negative thing I've heard about him and his attitude was that he sulked some when sent back down to Pawtucktet.  If you want to label everyone who's been unhappy about being sent down as a malcontent you're not going to have many players left in MLB.

The trade happened for two reasons.  The Red Sox felt then needed another arm for the stretch run and the Tigers were coveting Iggy to replace Peralta.  (I don't agree that it was a good trade for the Sox but that's an entirely different argument). 

I find it interesting that you're concerned about how players conduct themselves while you're stabbing those same players and contributors to a championship team in the back on their way out the door. This is paramount to the press dragging Tito's marital problems and alleged prescription drug abuse out as HE was leaving town.  In a word, classless. 

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if the only thing you heard was that he sulked. The Tigers weren't happy with him and his flashy plays. Apparently, they're concerned with how he conducts himself.

FTR I think you're really taking this all too personally. I'm just defending the players we did have on the team when posters were constantly bringing up a player who was no longer on the team. Oh, and we won without him, and possibly because of him being on the Tigers.

And, again, you're quick to defend a manager no longer on the team because of negative press stories, but fail to mention the players that remained on the team who were bashed in the press over completely outrageous stories of behavior in the clubhouse. There has never been another team vilified for anything happening in their clubhouse, and I don't believe there EVER will be again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I did not know that Bogaerts was also represented by Boras. That, to me, means Drew is not coming back. Why wouldn't Boras not want his future star playing SS for the Red Sox?

There really seems to be a conflict of interest IMO if the same person is representing players for not only the same team, but the same position. I think Drew loses out in that situation as far as the RS go. If anything, Boras wants his star to play, and another deal for Drew on another team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

One thing I brought up that I think is more possible then people realise is the idea of Xander starting the year in AAA.

First, I have now heard Cherington talk about whether Xander is going to start the year in the majors next year twice. Both times he was non commital. When Farrel was asked about whether Bogaerts would be the starting SS next year, he seemed somewhat hesitant to me aswell.

The one thing I have learned the last few years is the organisation is now extremely conscious about adding value. What might be the best way to add value to the Red Sox? Sign Drew to a 1 year deal for under the QO. Keep Xander down long enough to add an additional year of control. Would love to know how long that would be btw. Hopefully some writer finds out for us, especially if we sign Drew. Trust me, the value of an additional year of control in the prime of Xander would be worth millions. Maybe 20-30 million. All for the sacrafice of April this year? Seems worth it to me. Bogaerts was awful this season in April in Portland. He blamed it on the cold. We might not miss much that month in performance from the Aruban. Xander could play every day in AAA.

We can then sign some scrub like Kawasaki or go with Holt while we play Middlebrooks and Drew every day in the bigs. They will hopefully be able to increase their trade value while also getting their AB's. Then in May or June, up comes Xander to take somebodies place or have Drew-Middlebrooks platoon if they are failing and we just cut or drop our back up.

We could increase the trade value of Middlebrooks and Drew. We alow them to fail, giving an easy excuse to platoon. We might get a QO pick from Drew next year if he has a good year. And we get another year of control with potentially the next Machado. Whats the harm? I am much more worried about the team in October then April and Bogaerts will be playing in October.

You mean like how Doubront missed super 2 status by 2 days?  Yeah, I'm sure they thought about it :-D

Good point that I never honestly thought about... the possibility of Xander at short was an assumption in my mind.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9899471/felix-doubront-boston-red-sox-misses-arbitration-cutoff-2-days

Red Sox pitcher Felix Doubront missed the cutoff for salary arbitration eligibility by two days.

The major league service time required for arbitration this offseason was 2 years, 122 days, according to calculations by the commissioner's office and the players' association.

Under the labor contract agreed in November 2011, the top 22 percent of players by service time with at least two years but less than three are eligible for arbitration as long as they had at least 86 days this year. They join the older group of 3-to-6 year players

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They are still waiting on Drew to decide whether he wants to re-sign with the Sox. In the meantime there will be the  the next Two Cubans to consider in Diaz and The guy with 11 letters in his name Arrenburrena. They also draft Jonathan Roof in the AAA rule 5 draft. Other than that it looks like Bogaerts is the man! With Holt as his b/u! for the time being.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben will be coming up with a package of Middlebrooks & others to Detroit for IGGY and a power hitting left fielder !!!!

[/QUOTE]

1. DEtroit has a 3B.

2. DEtroit does not have a power-hitting LF

[/QUOTE]

Don't stop him now, he's on a roll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Need a SS?

Here are two lists to ponder...

2012-2013 OPS vs RHPs:

.933 Tulo 

.832 HanRam

.808 Lowrie

.807 Desmond

.802 Drew

.797 Reyes

.773 Gregorius

.767 Miller

.738 Rollins

.738 A Cabrera

.727 Rutledge

.724 J Segura

.714 Peralta

.709 Herrera

.698 Bloomquist

.698 Simmons

.696 Crawford

.694 A Andrus

.691 Jeter

.690 Castro

.678 Aybar

.676 Hardy

.675 E Cabrera

.670 Cozart

.670 Ciriaco

.669 Nunez

.662 A Ramirez

.660 Mercer

.658 Y Escobar

.651 A Gonalez

2011-2013 UZR/150 (500+ innings)

26.1 Simmons

16.5 Iglesias

12.3 Barmes

11.2 B Ryan

11.1 Zobrist

10.4 Cozart

10.2 Peralta

10.1 Janish

9.9  Kozma

8.9 Hardy

8.9 Izturis

7.6 A Ramirez

7.0 Andrus

6.9 Crawford

6.4 Tulo

6.1 McDonald

6.1 Y Escobar

5.7 Santiago

3.5 Aviles

3.1 Rollins

2.5 Pennington

2.5 A Escobar

1.7 Kawasaki

1.6 Desmond

1.5 Drew

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The Mets feel like they would have to overpay to sign Drew and keep him from re-signing with the Red Sox, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter links).  The Mets' next move, therefore, is to acquire a young shortstop in a trade.  Rosenthal cites the names of the Diamondbacks' Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings and the Mariners'Brad Miller and Nick Franklin as shortstops who could be candidates to be dealt, though Seattle might not be open to such talks right now since they're "currently preoccupied" with trying to acquire David Price from the Rays.