What to do this offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 92coug. Show 92coug's posts

What to do this offseason

I have been a diehard sox fan all my life, and I can honestly say right now, that I can't wait for this season to end.I couldn't tell you anything about the pennant races. With that said, I'm looking forward to this offseason. So what to do? I think we have some talent in our minor league system, but they are a year or so away. Bogarts, Bradley, Barnes Ranaudo, and Brentz. I don't know if Webster or De La Rosa will be ready this year or not. I think 2013 will be a bridge year. My thoughts:

Pitching:

Lester

Buchholz

Doubront

Lackey

??????

I still like Lester and Buch - but one of them needs to step up to be the #1 or we need to acquire one. If we acquire one, every team will be asking for the farm. Do we risk this? or do we go the FA route and go after say an Edwin Jackson, or a James "big game" Shields? or even a Kuoroda.  I would love to acquire Anderson from the A's but he comes with a steep cost of rookies. I say we bridge the gap, get someone for 2 or 3 years. I like Shields as he is AL East tested but can we get him for say 3/yr 33M?

Relief pitching

Get rid of Aceves and Melancon. I think Bard is messed up, Ankiel style that is, so is he salvageable? I think so, he just needs some confidence

Closer: Bailey

Bard, Achison, Miller, Morales, Tazawa, Hill, Breslow, Mortenson and Carpenter

Maybe use one of the lefty's as trade bait for a right hand arm in the pen?

C) Lav or Salty

1B: ????? -what to do? We have Gomez, but he's not the solution. I'd love to see us go after David Wright (him or WMB move to 1b)  is he becomes a FA as there is a club option, or maybe Nick Swisher.

2b) Pedey  - he is solid. Make him the Captain?

SS) Iglesias great glove - but can he hit? What about going all in with Bogarts? 

3B) Middlebrooks

OF) Ellsbury - he's on his last arb - he needs a big year for a big contract.

OF) resign Ross! He has been great  - plus he is a right handed bat

OF) Nava/Kalish/Sweeney/Sands - not great choices here. Can the Sox get greedy at get Swisher and Wright?

DH) Resign Papi  - give him a 2 year 28M contract. Let him finish his career in Boston.

Bench: I love Aviles keep him as he is versatile

Ciriaco

Nava/Kalish/Sweeney/Sands

Lav/ Salty

Trade possibilities:

Brett Anderson: doubt the A's will trade him, but would a package of Kalsih, Iglesias, Workman, Duobront  and Cecchini get it done?

J Upton -a similar package from above get this done? Or do we move Ellsbury with a prospect for him?

My dream starting lineup for next year:

c) Lav

1b) David Wright

2b) Pedey

SS) Bogarts (roll the dice)

3b) Middlebrooks

OF) Upton

OF) Ross

OF) Swisher

DH) Papi

P) Anderson

P) Lester

p) Buchholz

P) Lackey

P) Shields

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: What to do this offseason

We have talent in our minor league system .      The only problem:   So does everyone else.  Some have more than we do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They have a very simple off season ahead of them:

1.  Sign Ellsbury

2.  Sign the top two FA starters available

3.  Pick up a cheap closer option for when Bailey fails miserably - so get a set up guy who can be pressed into action when Bailey collapses.

4.  Sign Ross as your veteran OF

5.  If you cann get a PH 1B do it - but don't break the bank.

Sit back and get ready for the young guys to play next year.  Improved rotation = playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not bad and not unreasonable.

$28M/2 for papi is too high.  I'd tell him to find the best 2-year deal he can, and we'll top it by $1M/year.  I'm thinking closer to $20M/2.

Anderson is a good target.  Except for the surgery, he is really good and young, and maybe getting just expensive enough for the A's to think about moving him.  He'll be expensive, but I'd still kick the tires.

I'd re-sign Ross for 2+1 years at a reasonable rate.

I'd pass on Wright.  Seems like an overpay to get him and then move him.  I would think about  amybe Youk or VMart for 1st, if Detroit pays at least $4M of his salary.

Upton is a guy that looks like less than the sum of the pieces, but a fairly nice fit, at the right age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's unrealistic to think the Red Sox could trade for established Oakland lefthander Brett Anderson or Arizona outfielder Justin Upton without giving up some of their top prospects such as Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and/or Jackie Bradley Jr.

The SoxPropsects website ranks Garin Cecchini sixth, Jose Iglesias ninth and Brandon Workman 11th in the Sox system while Ryan Kalish and Felix Doubront, who will both be 25 years old on Opening Day 2013, have struggled at the MLB level with an OPS+ and ERA+ of 71 and 87, respectively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need to think about 2014 and beyond. While I do think we can compete in 2013 if we make a few key moves, we still won't be serious contenders for the ring. If we can move most of the following players for prospects or players that are under team control for several more years, we will be moving in teh right direction. We may also end up flipping some of the prospects for better younger players or a franchise type player.

David Ortiz: Offer him $12.5M/1 or whatever the minimum deal amount needed so that if he refuses and signes elsewhere we get the compensatory draft pick.

Players who will be free agents after 2013:

Jacoby Ellsbury: Trading Ellsbury this winter makes a lot of sense. He must be traded before 2013 begins in order for the team getting him to keep the extra value attached to Jacoby due to compensatory draft choice the team will get if he walks after 2013. I am sure a contender would give a nice prospect or player with longer team control in return. Perhaps, a larger package would net us a key prospect or young franchise type pleyer.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia: His stock is as high as it has been in years, and with Lava, Swihart and a couple other promising catcher prospects waiting in the wings, it makes sense to explore trading Salty for a prospect. I could also see us extending Salty and trading Lava. If Papi walks, we may keep both and use Lava as a DH vs RHPs.

Craig Breslow: I like Breslow, but so do many GMs. I think it makes sense to package Craig to try and get a nice prospect or longer-term player.

Ryan Sweeney: He would have been traded this past July had he not broke his own hand. While he'd make a nice 4th OF'er/defensive OF replacement for a team that may have some defensively challenged OF'ers in 2013 (Nava, Linares, Ross...), Sweeney does not fit into our longer-term plans. He will not bring much in return, but could be part of a larger deal or net us a low-level promising prospect.

Rich Hill: Could be part of a package deal.

Players who will be free agents after 2014:

Andrew Bailey: When we traded for Bailey, we were looking to seriously compete in 2012 & 2013. That has changed. While Andrew is is also signed for 2014, his 2-year value to another team is worth more than his 1 year (2014) value to us. Some contending team would surely offer something nice for Bailey.

Alfredo Aceves: As with Bailey, his value to another team looking to contend in 2013 and 2014 is more than his value to us. Plus, there seems to be other issues brewing between Alfredo and Sox management. It might be time to part ways and try and get a player under team control for 2015 or beyond.

Mike Aviles: We have Iggy and Ciriaco for 2013, and Bogaerts and other SS prospects for 2014 and beyond. I don't see Aviles helping us as much as he could help another team at this point. He is a better option than some teams have for 2013, so I am sure some GM wants him.

Andrew Miller: He has found a nice role in the pen. I think we could look to extend him, or we could give him a longer look next year before deciding. It might be best to wait until next July or winter to decide about extending or trading Andrew.

Franklin Morales: I like Morales and want to keep him. I wouldn't look to trade him this winter, unless we can get a serious upgrade at starting pitcher.

Other special cases:

John Lackey: After proving he is healthy, we may look to deal him next July or winter. He now has the added value of the injury option year at minimum wage that brings down his cost per years of service quite a bit.

Scott Atchison: While he still has 5 years of team control and has pitched very well for us, his age is an issue. I think we could get a nice prospect for Scott.

Mauro Gomez: I don't think he is the answer at 1B, so I'd think about including him in a bigger package might make sense.

Jose Iglesias: I do not want to trade Iggy, but I feel like Sox management does not like the idea of a low offesne SS. Unless they change their view, we might as well trade Iggy if we aren't going to play him.

Garin Cecchini: I really like this kid, but unless we move him or Middlebrooks to 1B, he is blocked.

Sean Coyle, Jose Vinicio, T. W. Lin & other possible blocked prospects: Depending on who we trade from the above list or not, we might look to deal some of these blocked prospects as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

The key to the recovery is going to be patience.  I'm willing to take a couple of losing season while we rebuild, if it means we avoid the mess we got into this season.  I certainly hope we hold on to prospects such as Bogearts, Bradley, Barnes etc, and rebuild from within, as opposed to chasing other team's stars like Justin Upton.  We should have a nice high draft pick this year to add to our stash of prospects, and might add another high pick in next year's draft, which will essetially replenish our farm system.

Now, the only way I would part with a good prospect is to acquire an established Ace, a piece that is key to our rebuilding process.  The team certainly doesn't have to go out and get this #1 this offseason, but eventually they are going to have to find that player.  I don't think either Lester or Buchholz can take that role, and it doesn't appear like we have a pitcher of that caliber in the farm system.

What I think the Red Sox need to is focus on getting low-cost position players to platoon/compete for jobs with the younger guys.  In order to maintain some level of offensive potency, they should re-sign Cody Ross, and bring back or find a replacement for the bat of David Ortiz.  I view the team as having 5 open spots in their lineup next year (1B, SS, LF, RF, and DH) and I think at least two of them should go to proven Major League bats.  Otherwise, bring in a low cost veteran like Carlos Pena to compete with Mauro Gomez and Jerry Sands for the job.  At a low cost, Adam LaRoche could also be a nice option, especially if Ortiz walks, as Gomez and Sands could make capable members of a DH rotation.  At, SS, the team's best option might be to continue with an Aviles and Iglesias platoon, with Iglesias taking the starting job if he shows he can hit over .220.  As for free agents, perhaps the best of the lot would be our two former shortstops, Marco Scutaro and Alex Gonzalez.  In the outfield, re-signing Cody Ross appears to be a no-brainer.  As for the LF spot, a low-cost option to platoon with Ryan Kailish would be Scott Hairston of the Mets, he is a solid RH-hitter, and should be had for a fairly decent contract.  If they want a bigger signing, they could opt to sign Nick Swisher away from the Yankees, though that could end up costing them $15m+ over 3-4 years.  Swisher has been a productive player, and is a good leader in the clubhouse, so it might not be a bad investment on the part of the Red Sox.  Additionally, the Sox could try and add Michael Morse in a deal with the Nationals, who could part with Morse and prospects to acquire Jacoby Ellsbury, a guy they have had prior interest in.  Ellsbury seems likely to walk in the future, so I'm sure the Red Sox would and should pounce on an attractive offer this offseason.

As far as pitching goes, the team does need to add a proven Major League arm in Free Agency.  Though the talent on the market is rather weak, pitchers like Edwin Jackson and Hiroki Kuroda would be nice options as #2-3 starters, and the Sox can afford to pay a little more to secure their services.  The team will also certainly add rotation depth with pitchers the caliber of say an Aaron Cook.  Perhaps the only area of the team that appears set for next year is the bullpen.  Andrew Bailey is entrenched as the closer, and the team has arms such as Miller, Tazawa, Mortenson, Hill, Breslow, Atchison, and Morales, as well as some arms in the farm.  

The following is something to consider:

Small money deals: Carlos Pena: 1 year 2m, Scott Hairston: 2yrs 8m, additional camp invites

Mid/Big money deals: Edwin Jackson: 3yrs 39m, Cody Ross: 3yrs 21m, David Ortiz: 2yrs 28m

Trades: Ellsbury for Michael Morse and a high level prospect, Deal spare parts (i.e Sweeney) for mid level prospects.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's unrealistic to think the Red Sox could trade for established Oakland lefthander Brett Anderson ...

I disagree; I think we could get Brett Anderson for

Lava, Owens and Britton

or

Brentz, Workman, and Ranaudo.

I am certain we could get him for Lava, Brentz and Pimental.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's unrealistic to think the Red Sox could trade for established Oakland lefthander Brett Anderson ...

Lava, Owens and Britton

or

[/QUOTE]

I do not trade away any of our young pitching prospects for anyone. Position players, yes. We need even more young pitching prospects. The more you have, the more likely one or two of them will really blossom and be here in a productive manner for years.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lava, Owens and Britton

or

[/QUOTE]

I do not trade away any of our young pitching prospects for anyone. Position players, yes. We need even more young pitching prospects. The more you have, the more likely one or two of them will really blossom and be here in a productive manner for years.

It's different if you trade some lower ranked prospect pitchers for a solid young starter under team control for several seasons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I agree that one of the first things RS do is dump Aceves. In his tenure with the Yankees he was 14-1 yet they just let him go. We know now that he was a disruption in the NYY dugout just as he was in Boston. No doubt he has talent. I am not sure he has given us his best effort the last 2 appearances. Amazing that the LAD have really have little contribution from  from AGon. We look good there. Amazing pressure on the FO now. This team has some good youngsters but need proven Major leagurs to help. Overpay for FA if necessary. The Sox have the bucks. No doubt Papi will be a RS next year. 20 mil for 2 years will be more than he is worth, but no one else will match that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree; I think we could get Brett Anderson for

Lava, Owens and Britton

or

I am certain we could get him for Lava, Brentz and Pimental.[/QUOTE]
    I respectfully disagree.

A young up-and-coming team currently 19 games above .500 won't trade its affordable 24-year-old lefthander for the expendable midlevel prospects of a fading franchise now 17 games below .500.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Grump Schumpeter has apparently painted himself into a corner with his illogical hatred of Bailey which is much like Softlaw did with Ellsbury. Why do posters do that? Now they are fighting to maintain their fragile ego instead of being a Red Sox fan. Ego trumps fandom unless they are merely trolling. Softlaw is a troll for sure.

[/QUOTE]

There are lots of posters on this board who would rather be rightthan see the team win.

The hatred of Bailey is really stupid.  He might have liked Reddick a little, but its not like Bailey orchestrated the trade...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

It's unrealistic to think the Red Sox could trade for established Oakland lefthander Brett Anderson or Arizona outfielder Justin Upton without giving up some of their top prospects such as Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and/or Jackie Bradley Jr.

The SoxPropsects website ranks Garin Cecchini sixth, Jose Iglesias ninth and Brandon Workman 11th in the Sox system while Ryan Kalish and Felix Doubront, who will both be 25 years old on Opening Day 2013, have struggled at the MLB level with an OPS+ and ERA+ of 71 and 87, respectively.

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox are going to deal for elite talent this offseason, they do have to decide which of their elite prospects is tradable, because the first name any rival GM would ask for is not going to be Brentz.

Out of the top three of Bradley, Bogaerts, and Barnes , I would think in the right situation,  Bradley would be my choice.  Unlike bogaerts, Bradley is used to being one of the older platers on his team.

I know some fans think all three should be untouchable unless Felix Hernandesz is coming back.  Thats foolish.  First, Felix would probably cost all 3.  Second, the chances all 3 become supertstars is really, really slim.

For Upton, I move Bradley, or at least hear out the other names.  For Anderson, I think I have my doubts, with his injury history being a little too risky for me...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lava, Owens and Britton

or

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Stolmy Pimental, who has struggled above A-ball, and Ryan Lavarnway, who is odler than Anderson and plays the same position as new Oakland A Derek Norris, is all that tempting of a package.

Even Trevor Cahill was worth Jarrod Parker.

You have to give up at least one name you don't want to give up, or it won't work...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One thing we should do this off season is spend the freed up money wisely.  Take a good look at the foreign free agent market. Recently , with our maxed - out payroll , we had to pass on guys like Chapman , Cespedes , Darvish and a few others.  There may be some good ones out there.  It is always tough to improve through trades.  There is always the chance that we get the worst of any deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I disagree; I think we could get Brett Anderson for

Lava, Owens and Britton

or

I am certain we could get him for Lava, Brentz and Pimental.[/QUOTE]
    I respectfully disagree.

A young up-and-coming team currently 19 games above .500 won't trade its affordable 24-year-old lefthander for the expendable midlevel prospects of a fading franchise now 17 games below .500.

[/QUOTE]

Why does Oakland care what our record is?  Would they trade him to us if we were at .500?

And are you sure that Oakland wouldn't trade young, affordable pitching?

Cahill & Gio Gonzalez were traded at the age of 23 & 25, and they were traded about 9 months ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [quote]Why does Oakland care what our record is?  Would they trade him to us if we were at .500?

And are you sure that Oakland wouldn't trade young, affordable pitching?

Cahill & Gio Gonzalez were traded at the age of 23 & 25, and they were traded about 9 months ago.[/QUOTE]
    Oakland might not care what Boston's record is, but a correction if often found between a team's talent and its record. A more talented team is not likely to trade one of its best talents for a less talented team's middling prospects.

Last offseason the Athletics traded Gio Gonzalez for a package that included three high Baseball America Top 100 prospects and Trevor Cahill for a package that included a five-time Baseball America Top 50 prospect. This thread is void of a Red Sox trade package that includes a current Top 100 prospect (the stocks of Drake Britton and Anthony Ranaudo have dropped significantlly since their preseason 2011 ranknigs in the Second 50).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

To be fair, the "five time top 50" prospect also had a Tommy John surgery to his name....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing we should do this off season is spend the freed up money wisely.  Take a good look at the foreign free agent market. Recently , with our maxed - out payroll , we had to pass on guys like Chapman , Cespedes , Darvish and a few others.  There may be some good ones out there.  It is always tough to improve through trades.  There is always the chance that we get the worst of any deal.

[/QUOTE]

And that is EXACTLY the wrong way to look at it.

Not to single anyone out, but fans seem to be obsessed with "winning" the trades.  Check out the comments on any trade thread in MLBTR.  The question after a trade should NEVER be - Did we do better in the trade?   The question has to be - is the team better, and is this the best trade we could have made in this scenario?

How the other team does is completely immaterial.  You have to know their needs to make an offer, but you never worry about whteher or not they "won the trade."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to single anyone out, but fans seem to be obsessed with "winning" the trades.  Check out the comments on any trade thread in MLBTR.  The question after a trade should NEVER be - Did we do better in the trade?   The question has to be - is the team better, and is this the best trade we could have made in this scenario?

How the other team does is completely immaterial.  You have to know their needs to make an offer, but you never worry about whteher or not they "won the trade."

[/QUOTE]

It is simple. You get the worst of a trade when the player you dealt turns out to be better than the guy you received.  If that is the case , your team is not going to be better for it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is simple. You get the worst of a trade when the player you dealt turns out to be better than the guy you received.  If that is the case , your team is not going to be better for it.

[/QUOTE]

Not true at all.

Did Hanley Ramirez turn out to be a better player than Mike Lowell?  Who is the better pitcher  - Anabal Sanchez or Josh Beckett?   By that logic, the Sox "lost" a trade that netted them an ALCS MVP and a World Series MVP.  Please explain how they are worse for it.

Heck, if you get right down to it - in no way on any planet does a trade that sends Nomar Garciaparra and Matt Murton out for Doug Mientkiewicz and Orlando Cabrera come even close to being equal.  Talentwise, the Sox got FLEECED on that deal, big time.  They didn't lose that trade; they got crucified, burried, dug up and then crucified again.   Yet somehow, some way, there was a happy ending, yes?

If you get a guy who makes your team better, then don't worry about winning and losing trades, your formula for which doesn't seem to even bother to take depth into account. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i like ross resigned....

im not so sure about jacoby....maybe it is time to trade him before he hits free agency...please let it be for king felix...lol 

papi is an incrediby tough call and glad i dont have to make it...

my advice would be to sign two starters.....

but i dont envy ben this hot stove....the manager situation alone is crazy....the wheels are totally falling off and have been for some time...rebuild smartly and slowly i say....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not true at all.

Did Hanley Ramirez turn out to be a better player than Mike Lowell?  Who is the better pitcher  - Anabal Sanchez or Josh Beckett?   By that logic, the Sox "lost" a trade that netted them an ALCS MVP and a World Series MVP.  Please explain how they are worse for it.

Heck, if you get right down to it - in no way on any planet does a trade that sends Nomar Garciaparra and Matt Murton out for Doug Mientkiewicz and Orlando Cabrera come even close to being equal.  Talentwise, the Sox got FLEECED on that deal, big time.  They didn't lose that trade; they got crucified, burried, dug up and then crucified again.   Yet somehow, some way, there was a happy ending, yes?

If you get a guy who makes your team better, then don't worry about winning and losing trades, your formula for which doesn't seem to even bother to take depth into account. 

[/QUOTE]

You are twisting things to suit your opinion.  In the trades you cited , I would say that the Sox got the better of both of them.  They both resulted in a championship. I would never say that they got the worst of those trades.  Anyway , my point is that we now have money to spend , and we should look to spend it wisely on the free agent and foreign market.   You are singling out my comment that there is always a chance we can get the worst of a trade.  What about that comment is not true ?   Of course there is a chance.