What to do with Garin Cecchini?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: What to do with Garin Cecchini?

I meant power, he's shown the power there.  He obviously has some more work to do, but he's young and we should expect him to progress.  Could he top out where he is now? Yes he could, and Cecchini could be the next Lars Anderson, or Donny Sadler.  Although I have a pretty good feeling the kid is going to be a star. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Sounds like Nava with speed and baserunning skills

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I see Cecchini as an Alex Gordon type. I think he will end up moving to corner OF too. On paper, he might end up being better at a number of offensive areas then Gordon, which is saying a lot. Better base running, bat, and plate discipline.

Defensively, Gordon is outstanding. Hard to say what Cecchini would do in the OF. As for power, Gordon is a 15-18 homer guy in a crappy HR park. Not sure Cecchini ever gets there though. I would guess short of that. But lots of doubles in Fenway.

If correct, he would be a very valuable player, even if he can't play 3rd.

I have no data on this one, but I think Cecchini would convert to the OF quite well.  And defensive value between 3B and RF is not all that much, assuming he can play RF.

Hugh, you have a lot of minor league insight, what do you think of Cecchini for RF?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

I see Cecchini as an Alex Gordon type. I think he will end up moving to corner OF too. On paper, he might end up being better at a number of offensive areas then Gordon, which is saying a lot. Better base running, bat, and plate discipline.

Defensively, Gordon is outstanding. Hard to say what Cecchini would do in the OF. As for power, Gordon is a 15-18 homer guy in a crappy HR park. Not sure Cecchini ever gets there though. I would guess short of that. But lots of doubles in Fenway.

If correct, he would be a very valuable player, even if he can't play 3rd.

I have no data on this one, but I think Cecchini would convert to the OF quite well.  And defensive value between 3B and RF is not all that much, assuming he can play RF.

Hugh, you have a lot of minor league insight, what do you think of Cecchini for RF?

[/QUOTE]

I think playing the outfield puts more pressure on his bat, the bar is higher.  But if he's the player we all hope he is he should be fine there.  Ive heard some throw the LF tag on him but I believe he has a strong arm so perhaps he could play right.  He is probably a better option in right than Bryce Brentz several years from now. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I've seen Cecchini play a couple of times this summer in Portland.

He started with some good hitters around him they gradually got moved up to AAA. The kid has a good eye and is a good contact hitter. I wasn't overly impressed with his range at 3 B. As a sidenote--before he lost the "protection" around him in the batting order he was batting in the mid .300's. After guys left and injuries occured he got poorer pitches to hit. He did carry an on base  streak @ AA Portland that was only exceeded by Youk and one other MLB player , Kevin Milar,in the 20 year history of the Dogs.

"Garin Cecchini extended his on-base streak to 39 games, surpassing Jed Lowrie on the all-time Sea Dogs list. Cecchini has the third longest streak, behind Millar (62) and Youkilis (47). "

His OBP at AA was over .400. His BB and  K numbers were almost identical 51 and he had 71 hits in roughly 250 AB's. The kid knows his way in the batters box. You surround him with guys like ShaVic, Pedroia, Xander----you will find his style to be similar to Boggs. 

If anyone is talking trade--I'd suggest WMB. of the three: WMB, Xander or Cecch. 

My suggestion for an order next season:

Victorino CF, Cecchini 3B, Pedroia 2b, Ortiz DH, Xander SS, Nava 1B, Brentz LF, Vazquez C,

JBJ RF.  

Cecchini has been assigned to the  Ariz. Fall League. I am anxious to see how his fielding  and OBP  numbers look at the end of the month.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

He started with some good hitters around him they gradually got moved up to AAA. The kid has a good eye and is a good contact hitter. I wasn't overly impressed with his range at 3 B. As a sidenote--before he lost the "protection" around him in the batting order he was batting in the mid .300's. After guys left and injuries occured he got poorer pitches to hit. He did carry an on base  streak @ AA Portland that was only exceeded by Youk and one other MLB player , Kevin Milar,in the 20 year history of the Dogs.

"Garin Cecchini extended his on-base streak to 39 games, surpassing Jed Lowrie on the all-time Sea Dogs list. Cecchini has the third longest streak, behind Millar (62) and Youkilis (47). "

His OBP at AA was over .400. His BB and  K numbers were almost identical 51 and he had 71 hits in roughly 250 AB's. The kid knows his way in the batters box. You surround him with guys like ShaVic, Pedroia, Xander----you will find his style to be similar to Boggs. 

If anyone is talking trade--I'd suggest WMB. of the three: WMB, Xander or Cecch. 

Victorino CF, Cecchini 3B, Pedroia 2b, Ortiz DH, Xander SS, Nava 1B, Brentz LF, Vazquez C,

JBJ RF.  

Cecchini has been assigned to the  Ariz. Fall League. I am anxious to see how his fielding  and OBP  numbers look at the end of the month.

With five rookies in the line up...this team will be like Houston team!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

JBJ RF.  

I seriously doubt Cecchini jumps over AAA to the bigs, especially when we have Boggy and Middy on the left side of the IF.

I don't see Brentz as a starter just yet, if ever. 

We may see Ross/Vazquez or Ross/Lava next year, but my thought is we will probably choose the best two rookies and keep an opening ready for them to win. The others will have to wait a year, or be on the bench or AAA.

My choices for most likely to win a FT role in 2014:

1) Boggy  (SS/3B)

2) JBJ (CF)

3) Vazquez or Lava (C)

4) Brentz (RF with Shane to CF)

5) Cecchini (3B or 1B late season)

Then there are these possibilities:

1B) Middy/Carp/Nava (Boggy to 3B and find a SS)

CF) Victorino (Brentz/Nava in RF if JBJ stumbles)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'll never understand why people want to immediately start someone just because they are hitting well in double A.  Cecchini's numbers have dropped off, but his OBP has remained high.  That tells me he isn't getting as much to hit, and he commands the strike zone well.  He may push the envelope next season but we really shouldn't starting talking about him starting when he's only had half a season above A ball.....HE HASN'T EVEN DESTROYED SPRING TRAINING PITCHING YET!!!! (yes that was a JBJ refrence) 

I also agree with Moon that I don't see Brentz as a starter,  everything I've read on the kid says there is a lot of swing in miss in his bat and that will be exposed a lot more at the next level.  His defense is fringe average (he does have a decent arm) He's probably a step down from Josh Reddick.  I see him as a guy who might hit 25-30 HR's but probably bat .220 with a sub .300 OBP% 

Brentz might possibly be a platoon guy, that's likely his ceiling.  Outfield depth is the systems largest weakness.

Any outfielder in our system who has the talent to be an everyday player is either to far away to project (Manuel Margot) or hasn't been moved to the outfield yet (Bogaerts, although not likely, and Cecchini).   There is one; his name is JBJ, but in coming years we are going to need more guys.

There are a few other guys who fit both category's of too far to project and haven't moved off position yet, like John Denney.  Although our overall system is so strong trading for a guy should be a non issue.  The Sox are also comfortable with going out into FA and buying an outfielder for a year or two. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There are only two chances for Cecchini as an MLB starter next April.

1. The Sox have injury issues on the left side of the infield.

2. Cecchini is with another organization.

If the Sox bring Drew back long term, it does hamper Cecchini's future chances in Boston somewhat.  He would probably have to move to the OF, or become an attractive trade bait.  And the Sox will move him in the right deal..

Hopefully if they move him, they get back some controllable quality. .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If the Sox bring Drew back long term, it does hamper Cecchini's future chances in Boston somewhat.  He would probably have to move to the OF, or become an attractive trade bait.  And the Sox will move him in the right deal..

I agree. 

The first base opening is also a possibility down the road for both Middlebrooks and Cecchini and I suppose Boggy too, whichever is the worst fielding 3Bman of the 3.

As ctred pointed out, our OF is the weakest position in our farm system. Perhaps Cecchi could move to OF. He has some speed. We do have Victorino for 2 more years, a Nava/Gomes LF platoon for 2014 with Nava under team control for more after Gomes, and even Carp in the mix. JBJ may make the team next year, and perhaps Brentz might by 2015. If Ellsbury is signed longterm, there really shouldn't be any OF openings until Gomes leaves after 2014, and Victorino after 2015.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think either WMB, Cecchini or Bogy will not be with the team next year.  I really think Bogy would be BY FAR the last to be traded but they have some IF depth.  Would like to see the Sox package either WMB or GC for a young controllable starter or some outfield help.  Maybe part of a package for Stanton?  GC, Bradley, Webster and/or WMB or RDLR??  In a hearbeat..... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree. 

The first base opening is also a possibility down the road for both Middlebrooks and Cecchini and I suppose Boggy too, whichever is the worst fielding 3Bman of the 3.

As ctred pointed out, our OF is the weakest position in our farm system. Perhaps Cecchi could move to OF. He has some speed. We do have Victorino for 2 more years, a Nava/Gomes LF platoon for 2014 with Nava under team control for more after Gomes, and even Carp in the mix. JBJ may make the team next year, and perhaps Brentz might by 2015. If Ellsbury is signed longterm, there really shouldn't be any OF openings until Gomes leaves after 2014, and Victorino after 2015.

[/QUOTE]

I want to agree and reiterate my point of outfield weakness.  It does appear that we will have the Gomes/Nava platoon in left, with JBJ in CF and Shane Victorino in RF.

That's actually a decent outfield that I would be comfortable with, but I'm still concerned with the depth.  

If Shane Victorino goes down, who plays right? I know Nava can slide over but that does two things, it puts him and Gomes in the lineup any given night and depending on who's pitching one of them is basically an out.  Also Nava equates to less defense in right field.  I like JBJ and Iam optimistic, but we are also relying on a rookie to add value there next year.  I think He's better defensively than Ellsbury but have no idea what he will add on offense.  I'm not comfortable with Brentz stepping in either.  I'm not convinced, nor have I really heard any scouts recently step up to the plate to defend him, that he is an everyday outfielder.  It is possible he could come up and have short lived success but thats' nothing to bank on.    We have depth options, but I don't think we have anyone who potentially WOULDN'T end up in a drastic reduction in production....and in two years when Shane and Gomes and possibly even Nava are out of the picture  we effectively have zero options in the outfield after JBJ.

Of course a lot can happen, and I'd rather have outfield weakness than infield weakness in our farm system.  A couple guys could emerge, I'm very hopeful on this Manuel Margot kid, but he's just 18.   An ideal I've been throwing around in my head is Mookie Betts moving to the outfield but I don't know if his power is real and will translate to the MLB level.  I really like him as a prospect a LOT....but I'm not 100% convinced that in 1-2 years from now we are starting threads about flipping him for young pitching or a catcher or an outfielder because he is blocked by Pedroia.   I don't think he'd have the range for center and I don't think he has the arm for right, putting the offensive bar he has to clear in left field. 

I do think that there is a decent chance that one of Cecchini/WMB/Bogaerts ends up in the outfield, not huge but it's there.  I'd say maybe there is a 30% chance one of those guys ends up being our starting LF in 3 years from now.  And that is a completely arbitrary number.  I can see a trade happening within the next year as well, maybe even this offseason. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree. 

[/QUOTE]

I want to agree and reiterate my point of outfield weakness.  It does appear that we will have the Gomes/Nava platoon in left, with JBJ in CF and Shane Victorino in RF.

That's actually a decent outfield that I would be comfortable with, but I'm still concerned with the depth.  

If Shane Victorino goes down, who plays right? I know Nava can slide over but that does two things, it puts him and Gomes in the lineup any given night and depending on who's pitching one of them is basically an out.  Also Nava equates to less defense in right field.  I like JBJ and Iam optimistic, but we are also relying on a rookie to add value there next year.  I think He's better defensively than Ellsbury but have no idea what he will add on offense.  I'm not comfortable with Brentz stepping in either.  I'm not convinced, nor have I really heard any scouts recently step up to the plate to defend him, that he is an everyday outfielder.  It is possible he could come up and have short lived success but thats' nothing to bank on.    We have depth options, but I don't think we have anyone who potentially WOULDN'T end up in a drastic reduction in production....and in two years when Shane and Gomes and possibly even Nava are out of the picture  we effectively have zero options in the outfield after JBJ.

Of course a lot can happen, and I'd rather have outfield weakness than infield weakness in our farm system.  A couple guys could emerge, I'm very hopeful on this Manuel Margot kid, but he's just 18.   An ideal I've been throwing around in my head is Mookie Betts moving to the outfield but I don't know if his power is real and will translate to the MLB level.  I really like him as a prospect a LOT....but I'm not 100% convinced that in 1-2 years from now we are starting threads about flipping him for young pitching or a catcher or an outfielder because he is blocked by Pedroia.   I don't think he'd have the range for center and I don't think he has the arm for right, putting the offensive bar he has to clear in left field. 

I do think that there is a decent chance that one of Cecchini/WMB/Bogaerts ends up in the outfield, not huge but it's there.  I'd say maybe there is a 30% chance one of those guys ends up being our starting LF in 3 years from now.  And that is a completely arbitrary number.  I can see a trade happening within the next year as well, maybe even this offseason. 

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

We do also have carp who can play LF in case of injury, but I agree that Nava or Gomes in RF should only be a last resort.

I think the Sox need to find a big middle order bat to hit behind Papi. Probably a righty. We have a few positions open this winter, but I doubt the catcher position nets us that bat. McCann is good, but he's not the stud hitter I think we need. That leaves 1B, 3B, and CF/RF. If we fill 3B with a stud, it would likely be short term or one or more of the leftside IF kids would be traded. That leaves 1B (the traditional bopper position) and CF/RF. Middlebrooks or Cecchini may end up at 1B, but getting a big bat there seems reasonable. Getting a CF'er (Shane stays in RF) or RF'er (Shane moves to CF) could also fill that gap and make an OF'er tradeable (assuming JBJ becomes the 5th OF'er).

I'd like this OF:

LF: Nava/Gomes platoon

CF: Victorino (JBJ)

RF: Stanton  (SVict)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

We do also have carp who can play LF in case of injury, but I agree that Nava or Gomes in RF should only be a last resort.

I think the Sox need to find a big middle order bat to hit behind Papi. Probably a righty. We have a few positions open this winter, but I doubt the catcher position nets us that bat. McCann is good, but he's not the stud hitter I think we need. That leaves 1B, 3B, and CF/RF. If we fill 3B with a stud, it would likely be short term or one or more of the leftside IF kids would be traded. That leaves 1B (the traditional bopper position) and CF/RF. Middlebrooks or Cecchini may end up at 1B, but getting a big bat there seems reasonable. Getting a CF'er (Shane stays in RF) or RF'er (Shane moves to CF) could also fill that gap and make an OF'er tradeable (assuming JBJ becomes the 5th OF'er).

I'd like this OF:

LF: Nava/Gomes platoon

CF: Victorino (JBJ)

RF: Stanton  (SVict)

[/QUOTE]

I actually think the Sox are going to roll with WMB at 3rd and Bogaerts at SS next season.  Now that may change, but I think that will initially be the plan.

That almost leads me to believe that they may try to make a BIG splash in the trade market this offseason to pick up an outfielder or a 1B.  Someone in the mold of Stanton, or someone Stanton(esq) or even Stanton himself.  They may also go the FA route and throw some money at the Cuban 1B Abreau; if they like him I think they are going to make a serious run at him.  That still leaves a big question mark in the lineup.  Yes it's conceivable that Bogaerts is a ROY candidate (with JBJ right behind him) and WMB progresses and Abreau is as advertised but that's still a lot of young talent to rely on.  Realistically a few of those things might happen and a 1-2 of those guys are likely going to experience some sort of growing pains. 

I think having too much young talent is a good problem to have, but it also leaves a lot of question marks that I don't think the Sox are willing to deal with which leads me to believe they will either trade for a well known commodity or they will sign a few stop gaps this offseason. 

I think Carp is still in the picture as well, especially with 1B a big unkown for next year. But I'm also starting to wonder if he may be expendable as well.  Him and Nava kinda seem to be taking up the same roster spot. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/08/scouting-scratch-garin-cecchini.html

Good read on Cecchini.  Didn't know this but he led all minor leaguers this year in OBP %

Not surprised! but excited.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Ryan Kalish.  If he's healthy, he's in the OF mix as well.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ryan Kalish has missed significant time 5 of the last 7 seasons.  He's pretty much the Grady Sizemore of the Sox organization.....without the MLB track record.  

I'm guessin the only reason why he hasn't been realesed is he does not eat up a 40 man spot on the D.L.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone next year, the Sox might still have some faith in him but he will be 26 on opening day next year and hasn't played a full season since 2010.

It may be possible that he is in the Mix, but I don't think the Sox are counting on it and I'm sure they will treat the offseason with the assumption that he is not here. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The Sox minor league depth and the fact that they are still a team which can have a big Payroll gives them unbelievable flexibilty next and future years. If for example they let Ells walk(as most expect), they may be bold enough to package many of the young Infield and pitching talent to acquire a Giancarlo Stanton, knowing that they will need to sign him up long term.

I have been a Sox fan a long time and the current combination of Major League Talent(best record in the AL) whlle having one of the better farm systems is such that I am hard pressed to think of another point in the last 40 years where they were in a better situation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Ryan Kalish has missed significant time 5 of the last 7 seasons.  He's pretty much the Grady Sizemore of the Sox organization.....without the MLB track record.  

I'm guessin the only reason why he hasn't been realesed is he does not eat up a 40 man spot on the D.L.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone next year, the Sox might still have some faith in him but he will be 26 on opening day next year and hasn't played a full season since 2010.

It may be possible that he is in the Mix, but I don't think the Sox are counting on it and I'm sure they will treat the offseason with the assumption that he is not here. 

Kalish might not be a sure thing health-wise, but he's not Grady Sizemore.  Sizemore had microfractures in his knees.  You can't do anything on a diamond without your knees.  Kalish had a series of neck and shoulder issues related to one play in 2011.  I don't know if he's got it sorted out, but he thinks he does, and if we're lucky enough to see a healthy 26-year-old Ryan Kalish in 2014, I don't think we'll be disappointed.  We certainly won't be looking to Bryce Brentz or Manuel Margot for OF depth.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9572237/boston-red-sox-ryan-kalish-prepares-make-another-comeback-cervical-fusion-surgery

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I actually think the Sox are going to roll with WMB at 3rd and Bogaerts at SS next season.  Now that may change, but I think that will initially be the plan.

I agree. I think we see Boggy at SS and Middy at 3B next year. After that, things may change. 1B is probably the easiest position to find a middle order bopper, so there would be no need to move Middy to 1B.

Personally, I'd like a better fielder at SS eventually, so I really like the idea of Boggy at 3B. I'm not sure Middy is the real deal yet, and as a 1Bman, we'd need more production from him than at 3B.

That almost leads me to believe that they may try to make a BIG splash in the trade market this offseason to pick up an outfielder or a 1B.  Someone in the mold of Stanton, or someone Stanton(esq) or even Stanton himself.  

Exactly. It may take giving away some top prospects, but if we were to pick up a guy like Stanton, we could afford to give up JBJ and one of Middy or Cecchini, one of Lava or Vazquez, and a couple of pitching prospects (hopefully, not Owens or Ranaudo).

They may also go the FA route and throw some money at the Cuban 1B Abreau; if they like him I think they are going to make a serious run at him.  That still leaves a big question mark in the lineup.  Yes it's conceivable that Bogaerts is a ROY candidate (with JBJ right behind him) and WMB progresses and Abreau is as advertised but that's still a lot of young talent to rely on.  Realistically a few of those things might happen and a 1-2 of those guys are likely going to experience some sort of growing pains. 

I doubt we leave more than 2 positions to young players (Boggy, JBJ, Middy, and Lava/Vazquez). We have enough OF'ers to cover if JBJ stumbles, but if Boggy and/or Middy struggles, who is here to take over?

I think having too much young talent is a good problem to have, but it also leaves a lot of question marks that I don't think the Sox are willing to deal with which leads me to believe they will either trade for a well known commodity or they will sign a few stop gaps this offseason. 

Agreed.

I think Carp is still in the picture as well, especially with 1B a big unkown for next year. But I'm also starting to wonder if he may be expendable as well.  Him and Nava kinda seem to be taking up the same roster spot. 

If Ellsbury bolts, we'll have room for Carp to play more LF (yuck on D) as Nava plays more RF (Not yuck, but much worse than Shane), and Victorino in CF. Then there is Gomes.

If we can find a corner IF'er stop gap player that hits lefties well, we could see a Carp platoon at 1B and maybe get sometime in LF, but certainly, we should not look to Carp as our answer to any FT need. The only way I see him getting meaningful playing time is if there is an injury, or we get a guy like Stanton or some other stud OF'er and have to skimp at 1B to make the books balance.

Sox4ever