What to Do with Lavarnway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

What to Do with Lavarnway

Lavarnway continues his torrid hitting going 4 for 4 with another home run last night,  He's now batting .378 with a 1.155 OPS and now has 23 home runs between Portland and Pawtucket.  He seems to be forcing a management decision.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: What to Do with Lavarnway

No question he is hitting his way into the Majors.  The questions is, as what? 

To me it's way too early to dump Varitek for a very inexperienced catcher with real weaknesses behind the plate.  DH?  Not likely.  Outfield?  Maybe, but the Sox haven't tried him out there as far as I know. 

My prediction?  He stays put and learns his trade, at least until September, and moves up earlier only if Tek or Salty gets hurt. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

He should be in Boston! You have to find out if he can hit up here and if he can what a boost it would be. I like Salty but his hitting is going the wrong way. Plus I dont care how bad Lavanway is behind the plate he cant be worse than Salty

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Cool those jets! Lavarnway doesn't yet have 10 home runs at Pawtucket. Yeah, he looks great so far, but he was only just promoted from AA. Too soon to suggest that he needs to be in the majors.

I do expect he will get a call in September, and am looking forward to it. Maybe earlier, if injury strikes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: What to Do with Lavarnway:
    [QUOTE]Get rid of Varitek, the team ERA isn't more than middle of the league for you CERA nuts.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Middle of the league is fine by me considering the Sox have had all 5 of their SP's (from the start of the season) miss time so far, including 3 at the same time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

In Response to Re: What to Do with Lavarnway:
    [QUOTE]Cool those jets! Lavarnway doesn't yet have 10 home runs at Pawtucket. Yeah, he looks great so far, but he was only just promoted from AA. Too soon to suggest that he needs to be in the majors. I do expect he will get a call in September, and am looking forward to it. Maybe earlier, if injury strikes.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]What is so magical about 10 homers, the man has hit at every level starting with high school. NCAA hitting leader and led every pro team he has played for. If Reddick can come up after hitting 233 or so what do you tell Lavarnway? I tell him to please come to Boston. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The problem is that he is a DH not a catcher. If could catch he would be a much more highly touted prospect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

He went to Yale I bet he can figure out the mental part of catching

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"What is so magical about 10 homers"

Nothing, but it is an indication of how little experience he has at AAA.

Sure, he could probably hit in the majors tomorrow, but he's not done learning and he hasn't exactly been wasting away in the minors.

Reddick had far more AAA experience before he was called up. (With good reason, of course, as he took a while to develop.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Plus I dont care how bad Lavanway is behind the plate he cant be worse than Salty"

Some of these comments crack me up.  He can be much much worse than Salty and if you don't care how bad your catcher is behind the plate I'm going to have to assume that you know very little about baseball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Catching defensive is notoriously hard to quantity, but Lavarnway is not letting balls by him, he's not committing errors, and he's throwing out runners at around 30%.  What's the knock on him defensively?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lavarnway is playing well.  He has increased his value, he has shown that he may be a future MLB player.  But let's relax here a moment people, he just started the year in AAA, and it was only last year he started the year in single-A.  There is NO NEED to rush this kid to the majors...because how often do we someone's development crushed by rushing them to the Majors???  

It's not as if Catching is a pressing need for us at the moment as well.  In the American league, there are only 3 catchers with a higher OPS than Salty....and one of them is on this team.  Also Softy the ideal of getting rid of Varitek doesn't make sense...do you want the young hitting prospect in Lavarnway to come up and become a back-up catcher and not play everyday???

Also It's wrong to use Reddick as the standard to what a AAA player can do when called up.  As we've seen over the years, many many many different things can happen when a player is called up to that next level and in no way shape or form should Reddick's success be a precursor to Lavarnway.

I like Lavarnway a lot, I really do.....but he doesn't pitch, he doesn't play SS and he doesn't play right field.....so why rush this kid to the majors?????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

It's a nice problem to have isn't it? Make no mistake, he'll be called up if there's an injury to Salty or Varitek.  No need to rush him when he can continue seasoning in AAA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Do not trade him.  Right handed power bats are hard to come by.  If he is a DH so be it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Leave him in Pawtucket for the remander of the year, then bring him up in Sept., let he sit on the bench, get a occassional at bat, catch a inning here and their, and in general see what it takes to be a ML player, Also learn from Varitek as Tek seems to be willingly to help  young catchers.
    No need to rush him t Boston after just a month or two of success at the AAA LEVEL.
    Next spring he will get every opportinuty to prove himself.
    Beside I believe the Sox are in 1st place and catching does not appear to be a problem at the present time. We have  other pressing needs.
    GIVE Lavarnway a brake and leave him  where he is now,  and in time if he is as good as we want to believe, then he will get his chance. After all cream always rises to the top.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The kid went to Yale too.  I don't think smarts will be an issue.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Everyone says he stinks defensively but then we look at the numbers and it doesn't look that bad. I certainly am not projecting him as primarily a DH but if it ends up that way so be it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Boomerangs, Lavarnway had 26 (!) passed balls in Greenville, 11 passed balls last year, just 5 so far this year. That's in just 41 games caught, however, so it remains a weakness. Similar PB rate and CS% to Exposito.

I don't think he is finished learning.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to What to Do with Lavarnway:
    [QUOTE]Lavarnway continues his torrid hitting going 4 for 4 with another home run last night,  He's now batting .378 with a 1.155 OPS and now has 23 home runs between Portland and Pawtucket.  He seems to be forcing a management decision.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

I think "forcing a managment decision" might be a tad too strong....the choices, in the summer of 2011 seem to me to be:
    • Give Lav some of Papi's DH ABs:  absurd, not even against lefties
    • Drop Jason (.773 OPS) Varitek in favour of a guy with 124 AAA plate appearances
    • Let the fast-developing Lav sit on the Boston bench rather than continue to develop in the sticks
    Btw, THE SOX CATCHING IS ONE OF THE STRONGEST IN THE MFL!