What to do; with Mr. Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

What to do; with Mr. Drew?

They''d have to be crazy to sit Iggy. Everyone knows it. So what do you do with Mr. Drew? Trade him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: What to do; with Mr. Drew?

Cuz the other thread started on this topic wasnt good enough?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I know its been only a few games, but I love the Iggy and Ciriaco combo. 

Drew can wear the Wally mascot costume and entertain the fans during home games.  LOL

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Iggy should have to play is way out of the job, and S. Drew should have to hit well enough to play his way into the job. "

That is surprisingly sensible. Betting the Sox don't do it though...too much $ tied up in Drew......sigh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew is going to play, they paid him too much for him not to.  Which is unfortunate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Drew is going to play, they paid him too much for him not to.  Which is unfortunate.

Seriously? Every time anyone even mentioned Iggy as a starting SS all winter you brought up his .118 BA last year. That's why Drew was signed. It's not that difficult to understand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Seriously? Every time anyone even mentioned Iggy as a starting SS all winter you brought up his .118 BA last year. That's why Drew was signed. It's not that difficult to understand.

Amazing, isn't it.  I wasn't alone, but there really weren't very many of us that supported Iggy last year.  The vast majority of the opinions was that he couldn't hit a lick, and we needed to get rid of him for anything.  Even I wasn't sure, but I thought he'd hit maybe .220, and then improve over the following 5 years to .260 or something.

Now, with the benefit of one IF hit per game, and he is the second coming.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I've been saying that I thought Iggy should get the job this year since last September.  Drew is a good SS but Is overpaid. I was against the signing when it happened.  You want to fnd all those posts all winter that I made? Or are you just attacking me for no reason?

I think what is confusing you is that I don't think Iggy will hit well, and I think he might not even keep the starting SS job.

That doesn't mean I liked the Drew signing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Amazing, isn't it.  I wasn't alone, but there really weren't very many of us that supported Iggy last year.  The vast majority of the opinions was that he couldn't hit a lick, and we needed to get rid of him for anything.  Even I wasn't sure, but I thought he'd hit maybe .220, and then improve over the following 5 years to .260 or something.

Now, with the benefit of one IF hit per game, and he is the second coming.

What's amazing Joe? I have been saying this about Iggy since last September, and I don't think he is the second coming.

What is rather amazing is you two making assumptions about what I think and claiming I have been saying all winter that Iggy shouldnt have the starting job. Find those posts please.

Let me slow it down.

Iggy, in my opinion, can't hit.  he is not the second coming.  

Drew should not have been signed for 9.5 million and is not a better option than Iggy, even though I don't think all that much of Iggy.

Oh look. No hyperbole either way. How did I do that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like Iggy very much and he is off to an amazing start. If it's meant to be that he play on a regular basis this season , it will happen. He is fielding his position like some of the most talented SS I can remember.

Drew is a vet and they've paid him a lot of money. I say bring Drew back, put him in there for a few days--see how you like the new "model." You might find you like the more experienced "model" this week. He might have something to offer that you like that Iggy didn't have. 

Drew isn't exactly "chopped liver" at SS. He's played 792 ML games at that position with a .978 fielding %. He Ave. roughly 10 errors a season at SS---not bad.

Prior to his  ankle problem he averaged 145-150 games a season. Baseball Ref. has his numbers based on 162 games:

.265 BA, 15 HR, 70 RBI, .328 OPB, .436 Slg., and .765 OPS.

Hey hindsight is 20/20--if you thought Ciriaco could play the position for 162 when he never started a season on a ML Roster or that Iggy could hit when he never showed he could, you wouldn't be doing your job as a GM if you didn't look for someone capable of playing the position and he would sign for one  season. Look at it this way you've got three pretty good players  for less than one Jeter and he may not even play this season or ever again.

The cards have been dealt it's time to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

They''d have to be crazy to sit Iggy. Everyone knows it. So what do you do with Mr. Drew? Trade him?

Trade him for what? He makes $9.5M a year and teams have their lineups set. It's a wasted contract and it was when they signed him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Drew is 1 for 10 at AA Portland. He doesn't deserve to start. Farrell should have kept his mouth shut.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

You use him with Gomes as the DH, and as a backup infielder. If Ortiz returns with any staying power, they should use S. Drew as the backup infielder, including 1st base.

Iggy should have to play is way out of the job, and S. Drew should have to hit well enough to play his way into the job. By June or so, they can decide where to go and whether or not to get rid of S. Drew or whether to keep him.

Carp needs to be run through waivers.

When Ortiz returns, Nava should be optioned back to AAA.

Goodness knows I never agree with softlaw, but this is reasonable.  It keeps Iglesias and Drew in Boston and gives both a shot at proving their worth.  Last year the exact same thing happened with Youk and Middlebrooks--an injury gave Middlebrooks a shot, and Youk didn't look that great when he came back, especially with AGon solid at 1B and Middlebrooks productive and a better fielder at 3B and Ortiz the best DH in MLB.  Interestingly, softlaw back then advocated using Youk as a backup, which of course he was not going to tolerate. 

The commentators are all saying Iggy will go back to Pawtucket.  But, as Peter Abraham pointed out with respect to Bradley, the Sox ownership group are worried about their fan base which is about to end the sold out streak (such as it was).  Right now Iglesias has to be a fan favorite, what with playing superb SS and hitting and bunting up a storm in the 9 slot. 

Iglesias has made this a tough decision for the FO.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I've supported Iggy all along and since last August even more so.... I guess I will still be labled as negative, or hater, or whatever other negative terms the positive posters put out there.

I didn't support Iggy last year but this year thought he deserved a shot and did not understand the Drew signing.  I have been labeled a flip flopper who now thinks Iggy is the second coming.

Funny stuff.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

PLEASE. FO. 

Leave Iggy alone!  He's finally shedding the mantle of "great field, can't hit" and is being able to relax and play the game.  Don't discourage him by sending him down to AAA and don't replace him at SS under the guise of nobody losing their position due to an injury. Although the Sox picked up Drew to pay SS he's never played there for the Sox and therefore it's not Drew's position.

This team is gelling with Iggy and SS and JBJ in left, and if it ain't broke PLEASE don't fix it! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Package DREW & ACEVES for that "BLOCKBUSTER" that I have been longing for since last October !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Package DREW & ACEVES for that "BLOCKBUSTER" that I have been longing for since last October !!!

And who starts until Lackey comes back?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Drew is 1 for 10 at AA Portland. He doesn't deserve to start. Farrell should have kept his mouth shut.

In that case, Drew should take his time and make sure that he is fully ready to be back.  Let's give him another few months to prepare his way back.    :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew can't be traded until mid June.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts