What to do; with Mr. Drew?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What to do; with Mr. Drew?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Proof once again that ST stats mean nothing. Victorino was abysmal in ST and has not had a game without being on base. Bradley, meanwhile, was the cats meow, and now has more strikeouts than anyone on the team other than Napoli and Middlebrooks, with a slg pct. below .200.

Bradley was never "the cats meow". Is there a reason you didn't mention his OBP and defensive skills. Your claims is loaded propaganda.

Let's look at this in a few more months, and see where Shane is and see where this team is.

6 game stats mean nothing. Lets take a look at 162 game stats.

You are joking right?

You were the one assignign so much value to a few ST games and a couple of plays in the field early in the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Proof once again that ST stats mean nothing. Victorino was abysmal in ST and has not had a game without being on base. Bradley, meanwhile, was the cats meow, and now has more strikeouts than anyone on the team other than Napoli and Middlebrooks, with a slg pct. below .200.

Bradley was never "the cats meow". Is there a reason you didn't mention his OBP and defensive skills. Your claims is loaded propaganda.

Let's look at this in a few more months, and see where Shane is and see where this team is.

You are joking right?

You were the one assignign so much value to a few ST games and a couple of plays in the field early in the season.

also note that he refused to look at 162 game stats. Remember when he made 8 threads about big numbah twos "median averages" for various stats? When we pointed out that his numbers were wrong he said that 162 game averages are crap because no one plays 162 games a year. Now he likes them.. go figure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You are joking right?

also note that he refused to look at 162 game stats. Remember when he made 8 threads about big numbah twos "median averages" for various stats? When we pointed out that his numbers were wrong he said that 162 game averages are crap because no one plays 162 games a year. Now he likes them.. go figure.

Speaking of 162 game stats, a good measure for evening the playing field for comparison purposes:

OBP/OPS

Gomes vs LHPs 

Career  .282  29  90  (.381 OBP)

2012    .299 36  86  (.413)

2011    .311  18  78  (.407)

Nava vs RHPs

Career  .265  8  82  (.372 OBP)

2013   1.000 50  150 (1.000 OBP) with 50 2Bs

2012     .269  8  67  (.383)

Combine these two, and we could easily see a .380 to .400 OBP.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

a few ST games

Do you know how many ST games there are.

Do you know how many minlor league pitchers play in ST games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

a few ST games

Do you know how many ST games there are.

they are still useless... the numbers produced from them are anyway. ST itself is useful but not the results.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

S. Drew's never played a game for the Red Sox. To compare him to Pedroia and Middlebrooks is utter nonsense.

You've made it clear that you want S. Drew to start. You really don't need to post here, becuase all you do is ape what management does. That middle management has proven to be incompetent, and has the money spent and zero playoff wins to prove it.

All on this board no that managment gifted the job to a 10 million dollar reject, who hasn't hit for years. And the Red Sox pitching staff is getting ready to have a higher ERA and WHIP as soon as Iglesias is sent back to the minors with the other overmatched member of this team, Bradley.

After 7 games, I haven't seen two players who are overmatched and/or who need to be replaced by Nava and Gomes and S. Drew. But let's not question a move that is going to be made. This team can be better than they have been doing with the current roster and playing time allocation, with managment pulling the levers on roster moves. I can't wait to see it.

Heres a little excerpt of my post which is 2 posts above yours...

I like Iggy and would like him to start as well, but I, unlike some here, realize that this is the situation we have. We are NOT going to sit Drew. I dont downplay Drew as a player because I want Iggy to start. And I do want Iggy to start. I deal with the reality of the situation and understand it.

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension course...Oh, and some spelling lessons or at least learn how to use the spell check...Mr. Lawyer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

"Offensive stats are not all that reliable either."

I sited OPS, which as we all know is OBP + SLG...How are those numbers i sited not reliable?

I explained why certain defensive metrics that were used to suggest Drew is a terrible SS are not reliable and gave very valid examples. Also from personal experience, talking to people within the game. (From my radio days in FL.)

The funny thing is, is that we agree Iggy should start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

S. Drew's never played a game for the Red Sox. To compare him to Pedroia and Middlebrooks is utter nonsense.

You've made it clear that you want S. Drew to start. You really don't need to post here, becuase all you do is ape what management does. That middle management has proven to be incompetent, and has the money spent and zero playoff wins to prove it.

All on this board no that managment gifted the job to a 10 million dollar reject, who hasn't hit for years. And the Red Sox pitching staff is getting ready to have a higher ERA and WHIP as soon as Iglesias is sent back to the minors with the other overmatched member of this team, Bradley.

After 7 games, I haven't seen two players who are overmatched and/or who need to be replaced by Nava and Gomes and S. Drew. But let's not question a move that is going to be made. This team can be better than they have been doing with the current roster and playing time allocation, with managment pulling the levers on roster moves. I can't wait to see it.

Heres a little excerpt of my post which is 2 posts above yours...

I like Iggy and would like him to start as well, but I, unlike some here, realize that this is the situation we have. We are NOT going to sit Drew. I dont downplay Drew as a player because I want Iggy to start. And I do want Iggy to start. I deal with the reality of the situation and understand it.

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension course...Oh, and some spelling lessons or at least learn how to use the spell check...Mr. Lawyer.

He has a hard time with that sort of thing. He gets really angry and starts typing too fast and makes a lot of mistakes.

My point of view, which seems similar to yours, is that Iggy would have been a good choice this year, but the Red Sox went and spent a lot of money on Drew, which means they will start him.

Whether or not that is a mistake or not remains to be seen and until then I will support Drew even though I would rather have Iggy start.

It is what it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I sited OPS, which as we all know is OBP + SLG...How are those numbers i sited not reliable?

I explained why certain defensive metrics that were used to suggest Drew is a terrible SS are not reliable and gave very valid examples. Also from personal experience, talking to people within the game. (From my radio days in FL.)

The funny thing is, is that we agree Iggy should start.

Well a high BABIP could "inflate" ones offensive numbers to make them look better at the plate than they really are (Iggy in 2013 is a perfect example).  But i agree with you SP, offensive statistics are much much more reliable than defensive metrics.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

ST itself is useful but not the results.

Only a mental midget could make a statement like that.

only a mental midget would ignore a statement like that. the only thing ST is good for is getting guys into playing shape and shaking off the rust so by the time meaningful games are played one isn't trying to get his rhythm down at the plate and pitchers aren't still working on polishing off their secondary pitches.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Yes, Cliff Lee is an old minor league pitcher.

I undesrstand your need to point out typos and pretend that "he gets excited and really angry and makes a lot of spelling mistakes", and you then make a spelling mistake that you later go back and correct and change your comment. You take a lot of time to, as you like to say "mess with him and get him angry and banned", but you look foolish when you do it.

Wow. You really got excited about that typo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Yes, Cliff Lee is an old minor league pitcher.

I undesrstand your need to point out typos and pretend that "he gets excited and really angry and makes a lot of spelling mistakes", and you then make a spelling mistake that you later go back and correct and change your comment. You take a lot of time to, as you like to say "mess with him and get him angry and banned", but you look foolish when you do it.

Wow. You really got excited about that typo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-RKZF24us

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension course...Oh, and some spelling lessons or at least learn how to use the spell check...Mr. Lawyer

Do you want to debate baseball issues or make childish insults. That's not a question.

And I do want Iggy to start. I deal with the reality of the situation and understand it.

No, you are making sure you ride the fence. Anyone who understands why Iggy should continue to start, after S. Drew comes off the disabled list, doesn't say "I understand it". You understand that 10 million isn't sitting on the bench because managment isn't going to make that decision. But let us all in on what you understand about contract amounts and playing time and roster decisions, becase I'm too stupid, can't spell, can't read, and don't understand it.

says the guy known for childish name calling and insults...Too funny.

No, I do want to see iggy play, but I understand the big picture and why Drew was brought in and why hes going to play. It is what it is, and I have no issue with Drew. Pretty simple.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

congrats...you did better than I thought. Keep up the good work champ

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

make sure to practice at least an hour a day

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

How much time do you guys think the Red Sox will give Drew?  If Iggy continues to be hot in the minors and Drew struggles, then the Red Sox need to bring back Iggy. 

This is a happy concern to have.  Remember when we had Julio Lugo and his 0 for 30-something hitless streak?  LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They may be more reliable than RF/9 or UZR/150, but they also have bias due to park factors, strength of pitchers faced, who is batting behind you, in front of you, how many times is a man on base, is the sun in your eyes, etc...

A good SS makes over 1,000 plays a season, and has more than twice as many balls hit to his area that PAs he gets over a full season. 

I'm not saying OBP and OPs are useless stats. I use them all the time, but my point is that any stat can be questioned, adjusted, and taken in or out of context. We need look no further than Adrian Beltre to see the difference. How is that much different from questioning UZR/150, Flg%, RF/9 and other fielding stats?