What to do; with Mr. Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What to do; with Mr. Drew?

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Drew can't be traded until mid June.

which is exactly the time we could have traded for him or an equal player... after we gave Iggy a fair chance.

What's more to know? We've know for years Iggy is 10 times a better fielding SS than Drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

They''d have to be crazy to sit Iggy. Everyone knows it. So what do you do with Mr. Drew? Trade him?

Package DREW & ACEVES for that "BLOCKBUSTER" that I have been longing for since last October !!!

Bill, 

As Carnie says they need Aceves to take Lackey's place. If this were early in 2012 Aceves would have a high trade based on his 2009 and 2011 seasons but now he's labeled a malcontent    so his trade value has bottomed out plus with Drew coming off of an injury what on Earth would they get back in trade. Certainly not what you would label a blockbuster. 

I'm not sure why most in this town have turned on Aceves so quickly. Certainly he has had his troubles but he's also a player with immense talent. The management needs time with him to turn him around this year. If they can't I agree he's expendable but if he can return to the form of 209-2011 he would be a very needed long reliever and spot starter. If Ty Cobb was traded in his day based on his personality he would have played with 10-15 teams over his career, but of course Cobb and Aceves are not on the same playing field but you get my reasoning.

Hetch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

They''d have to be crazy to sit Iggy. Everyone knows it. So what do you do with Mr. Drew? Trade him?

Package DREW & ACEVES for that "BLOCKBUSTER" that I have been longing for since last October !!!

Bill, 

As Carnie says they need Aceves to take Lackey's place. If this were early in 2012 Aceves would have a high trade based on his 2009 and 2011 seasons but now he's labeled a malcontent    so his trade value has bottomed out plus with Drew coming off of an injury what on Earth would they get back in trade. Certainly not what you would label a blockbuster. 

I'm not sure why most in this town have turned on Aceves so quickly. Certainly he has had his troubles but he's also a player with immense talent. The management needs time with him to turn him around this year. If they can't I agree he's expendable but if he can return to the form of 209-2011 he would be a very needed long reliever and spot starter. If Ty Cobb was traded in his day based on his personality he would have played with 10-15 teams over his career, but of course Cobb and Aceves are not on the same playing field but you get my reasoning.

Hetch

I want Aceves on the Red Sox. the guy is valuable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm still trying to figure how how Iggy plays himself out of the position and Drew hits his way into it, if Drew doesn't play...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I'm still trying to figure how how Iggy plays himself out of the position and Drew hits his way into it, if Drew doesn't play...

Drew has the job, Iggy will go down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I know that and you know that.

But, it doesn't seem to be sinking in, elsewhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

If JBJ continues his slow start much longer wait for the BOO BIRDS to start coming out and dumping on him. In the long run he'll be a very good player for the Sox but as some would say Spring Training was a small sample so based on that he made the club. Based on another small sample some on this board might call for JBJ to be sent down. Too many fans have little patience with players. 

Based on his fast start many jump on his bandwagon but if he reverts to last years form he'll lose his job and Drew will be in at SS. One screwball already noticed he's 1-10 in Pawtucket. Based on that usual small sample I guess the rational is that Iggy is the next coming and Drew is a Bum. Little to no logic to that way of thinking but our friends base thier latest opinion on yesterday's game and the last 15-20 at bats. 

Vey shortsighted !!

Hetch

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snake, 

If Iggy continues to hit at least at a reasonable average he's not going anywhere and then the Sox will have to figure out how to play Drew or trade him and have to eat much of the high salary. People seem to forget why he as brought in. Didn't Iggy hit .118 at the end of last year and look totally lost at the plate. That's not exactly going to make him the SS of the future. But you gotta love the way the idiots are dumping on Drew.

Related to this it looks like Gronk's unfortunately going to miss the start of the Pats season. If he continues to have problems I wonder how long it will take fans to start dumping all over him like many do on Ells. I can hear it now, "INJURY PRONE" "trade him while he still has trade value".   

Hetch 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Drew is 1 for 10 at AA Portland. He doesn't deserve to start. Farrell should have kept his mouth shut.

yes, lets just reference his rehab start. Thats about as credible as ST stats. from 2006 until his injury in 2011 Drew was a .778 OPS SS...some of you guys crack me up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Drew is 1 for 10 at AA Portland. He doesn't deserve to start. Farrell should have kept his mouth shut.

yes, lets just reference his rehab start. Thats about as credible as ST stats. from 2006 until his injury in 2011 Drew was a .778 OPS SS...some of you guys crack me up.

Albert Pujols is hitiing only .211 to start the year in LA so based on Boston Fan logic he must be over the hill and getting old. Time to trade the bum away, he's washed up. 19 at bats, only four hits and no home runs. He's done !!

Hetch 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont understand why some people here feel like they have to trash the other player to make their point. Between the Drew vs. Iggy and JBJ vs. Ellsbury my head is spinning with some of you.

ALL are good ballplayers and they are all on our team. One or even 2 of them have to be sent down or given their walking papers to fit on the 25-man roster.

Drew is a very good MLB SS and theres no need to trash him just because you favor Iggy. Thats dumb. Iggy has unexpectedly shown some good improvement this year along with that great glove.  Most here said he would NEVER hit MLB pitching and were calling to dump him for anything we could get.

Regardless of what a couple posters here think, Drew is NOT a UI and will NOT be used that way. Hes NEVER played one AB at 1b and just about the same at 2b. This isnt LL where you just switch guys around. If you keep Iggy and actually decided to be an idiot and use Drew that way, then Ciriaco (the REAL UI) has to be let go because there is obviously not enough room on the roster. Nor is it smart to carry 3 middle IF'ers. I would like to keep Iggy right now as well, but I also think Drew will do very well when he takes his job back. If they could eat a few bucks and trade Drew, Id be ok with that too.

Nava is playing great and Gomes should be playing at least every time theres a LHP on the mound. When Papi returns someone has to go. JBJ is going to be a fine MLB OF'er, but I think letting him take everything he has learned up here back to AAA for a month or 2 and work on a few holes in his game that have been exposed by veteran MLB pitchers is the smart move. I dont think his .143 BA, .333 OBP has won too many games for the team. He has made a couple blunders in the OF as well. Thats not bashing the kid, its stating facts. He WILL be a big piece to the Sox in the coming years, but for now, IMO, he should be in AAA upon Papi's return. Id also like that guaranteed year. Never mind the $$, the guarantee is whats important.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Nice problem to have, and we have it because Iggy has hit better than anyone expected.  Just one week of the season though, and no one knows if he'll continue to hit or drop and keep dropping.  I believe they're going to send both Iggy and JBJ to Pawtucket when Drew and Ortiz return.  If both shine at AAA, that'll create pressure on the big club to make the moves necessary to bring them up to stay.  But also, you need depth, and injuries create openings too.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox have benched the higher-salaried players before. Mike Lansing ring a bell?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

If they could eat a few bucks and trade Drew, Id be ok with that too.

In 2006 to 2011, there are lot of MLB players who aren't playing anymore because they are too damaged from injury or too old.

Being an idiot would be sending Iglesias back to the minors to clear the spot for S. Drew, who has done nothing for years! He's embarrassed himself in spring training and in the minors. He's never been a quality defensive SS.

And the notion that 10 million dollars on this massive payroll means that Drew can't be used at 1st base and/or as backup SS, but you'd be OK with trading him and eating a few bucks. Absurd!

They need to stick S. Drew as the DH v. RP and force him to earn the job by proving he's "a premium guy". Ortiz will be out at least a couple of weeks more after S. Drew comes off the DL, plenty of time to allow Iglesias to play his way out of the job and S. Drew to show plate work that earns the job.

I'll guarantee you that this incompetent managmenet will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, make S. Drew earn the job and allow Iglesias to play himself out of the job! And the reason is the same reason this 10 million dollar elephant was signed in the first place, as the last endless attempt to get a slugging SS who is a butcher with a SS glove. It's called incompetence!

Nava is playing great

This from a guy whining about small samples. Nava is a butcher in the OF, and he's not "Playing great". He's a back bench guy who needs to be in a very limited role.

I would expect this kind of response for the king of small samples...but only if they work in his favor.

Yes, Drew has been injured with a bad ankle break which shortened his 2011-2012 seasons, but hasnt performed in years? seriously? no wonder no one (except bill) takes you seriously here.

2010 Drew was an .810 OPS MLB SS...yeah, hasnt performed in years.

278 BA 352 OBP .458 SLG 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

Sick with Iggy his defense is worth the price of admission anyway!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew is a fine shortstop.

What kills me about this board is the constant hyperbole.

I felt last year that iggy needed more time in AAA, this year I felt he should get a shot ay the job. Instead they signed Drew.

None of this means that Iggy is great or that Drew is horrbile or vice versa. Both are viable options and it is a good problem to have. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Thank you for making my case, 2011 and 2012 = years

You need to stop working overtime to make a fool of yourself by trying to boast about S. Drew's pre-damaged goods past years ago and then saying ""I'd be OK if they lose a few bucks and trade him".

How "bout" use the guy in the DH v. RP and off the bench as a pinch hitter while Ortiz is on the washed up list. Then, see where Iggy and "premium guy" are in a few more weeks.

Nice to see you've finally added Big Papi to your Red Sox hate list. Now how about you go cheer for your boyfriend in ATL?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thank you for making my case, 2011 and 2012 = years

You need to stop working overtime to make a fool of yourself by trying to boast about S. Drew's pre-damaged goods past years ago and then saying ""I'd be OK if they lose a few bucks and trade him".

How "bout" use the guy in the DH v. RP and off the bench as a pinch hitter while Ortiz is on the washed up list. Then, see where Iggy and "premium guy" are in a few more weeks.

You should slow down, relax and pay attention to what your reading. Ive already said I would be ok if they ate some $$ and made a trade involving Drew. Ive also stated I want Iggy as our starting SS. The difference is that Im not going to bash another player who certainly doesnt deserve it because I want the other guy. Thats your game, not mine.

I understand the situation and accept it. whining about it does no good. you deal with what you have. We either trade him or start him. If they want to trade him, they need to play him so other teams can see his performance. its pretty simple.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew's never been a "fine SS" defensively, anymore than Aviles was. It's been years since S. Drew was a good plate A. SS. "Premium guy" should have to prove himself to get a starting position, which isn't going to happen because managment wants to validate the contract offer.

I have no problem with Drew DH'ing v. righties and backing up, and then allowing several weeks to go by and allowing performance to determine who gets the starting job. I know it's better to pre-plan playing time based on the past and years of service in MLB, but looking at current performance is a novel way to approach the matter. Just a thought.

Hes is a good all around MLB SS. Most, if not all GM's and managers, would probably agree. your the only one here using the term "premium"...They (other GM's) will want to see him play the field if they are going to consider a trade, not DH.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew's never been a "fine SS" defensively, anymore than Aviles was. It's been years since S. Drew was a good plate A. SS. "Premium guy" should have to prove himself to get a starting position, which isn't going to happen because managment wants to validate the contract offer.

I have no problem with Drew DH'ing v. righties and backing up, and then allowing several weeks to go by and allowing performance to determine who gets the starting job. I know it's better to pre-plan playing time based on the past and years of service in MLB, but looking at current performance is a novel way to approach the matter. Just a thought.

I have said all year that I would rather have Iggy.

That doesn't mean I have to pretend Drew is horrible.  

25. This post has been removed.