What to do; with Mr. Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Re: What to do; with Mr. Drew?

Iggy is a game changer. I wonder who the pitcher's want at SS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Hes is a good all around MLB SS. Most, if not all GM's and managers, would probably agree. your the only one here using the term "premium"...They (other GM's) will want to see him play the field if they are going to consider a trade, not DH.

In fact all GM's agreed he wasn't a good all around MLB SS, which is why he has a one year "prove it" contract on a big market team with incompetent management.

Manager John used "premium", pal.

The other GM's who don't want to see him, will agree to watch video of him playing SS for 10 more chances in a backup role when he comes in as a pinch hitter and starts against a couple of RH pithcers.

I know this managment has hard time focusing on winning games and planning for the future, but they need to stop looking at the scenery and get their eyes on the road of this early season when every game matters until it becomes clear that what managment has paid for is secure for the playoffs or secure in another abject failure season.

I said anyone here, you know..on this forum...once again please read a little more carefully.

This is getting a little tiresome having to break everything i say down and explain it to you. Its ok to want Iggy, but to feel the need to bash the other player because of it is pathetic. Im done with you.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

No bashing, that's your overreaction. And its not "I want Iggy". It's prove it on the field, and Drew needs to prove it and Iggy needs to play his way out of job he's earned on the field. It's as simple as that.

Your logic is less than logical Softy Law. Really think about your argument-you are the only one arguing, as usual--everyone feels Iggy has done well both hitting and fielding. Drew was brought in for a reason because Iggy for several years has showed he couldn't hit. Simply, if BenC hadn't brought the best possible candidate in with the money he had available and Iggy continued  his poor hitting--you'd want him fired--no you actually would have wanted Punto back because he could be had for short money.

If Lackey goes to the DL and Drew is activated the Sox may keep Iggy and Drew on the 25 then in two weeks worry about what to do. My guess, they may send Iggy or JBJ to AAA depending on how they are doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

To state the obvious, that would be a great opportunity to give JBJ the 20 days he needs in the minors.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Drew is going to play, they paid him too much for him not to.  Which is unfortunate.

Seriously? Every time anyone even mentioned Iggy as a starting SS all winter you brought up his .118 BA last year. That's why Drew was signed. It's not that difficult to understand.

Amazing, isn't it.  I wasn't alone, but there really weren't very many of us that supported Iggy last year.  The vast majority of the opinions was that he couldn't hit a lick, and we needed to get rid of him for anything.  Even I wasn't sure, but I thought he'd hit maybe .220, and then improve over the following 5 years to .260 or something.

Now, with the benefit of one IF hit per game, and he is the second coming.

What's amazing Joe? I have been saying this about Iggy since last September, and I don't think he is the second coming.

What is rather amazing is you two making assumptions about what I think and claiming I have been saying all winter that Iggy shouldnt have the starting job. Find those posts please.

Let me slow it down.

Iggy, in my opinion, can't hit.  he is not the second coming.  

Drew should not have been signed for 9.5 million and is not a better option than Iggy, even though I don't think all that much of Iggy.

Oh look. No hyperbole either way. How did I do that?

I wasn't necessarily referring to you.  Just to the sense that almost any short-term result will be overblown in here.  68 bad ABs last year, and he had to go.  17 good ABs this year, and he has to stay.  Sorry if you were offended.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

FYI--Drew hit a long home run tonight for the SeaDogs in his last? rehab game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Start Him, We Need The Bat, Iggys Flashey No PoP.......

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Easy answer...play Drew.  He had a HR this evening.  4 of Iggy's hits never left the infield.  And he will not hit .450 the rest of the season, so when his average returns to planet earth (in about 3 more games) he will have an OBP the same as his batting average, somewhere below .300 in all likelihood.  Must say, though, I have loved his glove and arm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Ironically, one week into the season and between the two rookies, Bradley is the one who looks overmatched at the plate.  It seems to me that it WAS a mistake bringing Bradley Jr. north.  He would have been better off having a nice run for a couple of weeks in Pawtucket, and then come riding in on a hot streak.

Proof once again that ST stats mean nothing.  Victorino was abysmal in ST and has not had a game without being on base.  Bradley, meanwhile, was the cats meow, and now has more strikeouts than anyone on the team other than Napoli and Middlebrooks, with a slg pct. below .200.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No bashing, that's your overreaction. And its not "I want Iggy". It's prove it on the field, and Drew needs to prove it and Iggy needs to play his way out of job he's earned on the field. It's as simple as that.

so when pedey broke his foot, he should have had to prove he was fit for the job first and sit on the bench until he proved it? How about WMB who broke his wrist and only had 1/2 year MLB experience. Why not give the job to Ciriaco so Will could prove himself again? I mean afterall, Drew has only proved himself since 2006 to be a .770OPS SS. Your logic makes no sense. as usual.

By the way, Drew went yard last night. I figured you wouldnt post that since it works against you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

so when pedey broke his foot, he should have had to prove he was fit for the job and sit on the bench? How about WMB who broke his wrist and only had 1/2 year MLB experience. Why not give the job to Ciriaco so Will could prove himself again? I mean afterall, Drew has only proved himself since 2006 to be a .770OPS SS. Your logic makes no sense. as usual.

By the way, Drew went yeard last night. I figured you wouldnt post that since it works against you.

The .770 OPS could be a bit misleading. He has only put up that number or better in 2 of his last 6 seasons. He's also been below .713 for 2 straight seasons.

Looking at Drew's career numbers does show he is a very capable offensive SS, but I keep hearing how he has improved as a fielder. So, I ask this, why do people want to count only Drew's last few years for defense, but his whole career for offense? 

If you look at hiw whole career on defense, he is bottom third at best and top third on offense. If you look at the last 2-3 years, he's average on offense and defense. I guess is "average" earns you the right to automatically start on a "contender", then you have a point. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

so when pedey broke his foot, he should have had to prove he was fit for the job and sit on the bench? How about WMB who broke his wrist and only had 1/2 year MLB experience. Why not give the job to Ciriaco so Will could prove himself again? I mean afterall, Drew has only proved himself since 2006 to be a .770OPS SS. Your logic makes no sense. as usual.

By the way, Drew went yeard last night. I figured you wouldnt post that since it works against you.

The .770 OPS could be a bit misleading. He has only put up that number or better in 2 of his last 6 seasons. He's also been below .713 for 2 straight seasons.

Looking at Drew's career numbers does show he is a very capable offensive SS, but I keep hearing how he has improved as a fielder. So, I ask this, why do people want to count only Drew's last few years for defense, but his whole career for offense? 

If you look at hiw whole career on defense, he is bottom third at best and top third on offense. If you look at the last 2-3 years, he's average on offense and defense. I guess is "average" earns you the right to automatically start on a "contender", then you have a point. 

Hes been top 3 and top 5 in OPS 3 years in the NL...Hes been playing full time since 2007. thats 3 out of the 4 years hes played before the injury. Downplay it all you want, but its right there in black and white. Defensive stats are not nearly as reliable.

Listen Moon, I like Iggy and would like him to start as well, but I, unlike some here, realize that this is the situation we have. We are NOT going to sit Drew.

I dont downplay Drew as a player because I want Iggy to start. And I do want Iggy to start. I deal with the reality of the situation and understand it. Drew is a much better offensive threat than Iggy and iggy is a much better defender than Drew. Drew was signed for obvious reasons and IS going to play when he returns. Whether anyone agrees with it or not, thats the reality. After this year, we have Iggy for 6 more years until he hits FA. He will have his day. Why not enjoy the fact that we have 2 good SS at our disposal and are winning right now.

So far this team has looked to make a lot of good signings. Victorino has looked the best so far. All of them are a good fit for this team and city. Drew will not be the defensive liability that you think. He will provide good D along with some pop in his bat. How about we give him a chance before crucifying him...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hes been top 3 and top 5 in OPS 3 years in the NL...Hes been playing full time since 2007. thats 3 out of the 4 years hes played before the injury. Downplay it all you want, but its right there in black and white. Defensive stats are not nearly as reliable.

Offensive stats are not all that reliable either.

You assume the defensive stats make Drew look worse than he is. None of us have seen him enough to assume the numbers are worse or better than he really is.

Throw out the last 2 years, if you want, but SD has then hit over his career OPS only 2 of those 4 years (2 out of 6 total). That's a significant sample size.

Listen Moon, I like Iggy and would like him to start as well, but I, unlike some here, realize that this is the situation we have. We are NOT going to sit Drew.

When did I ever say Ben will let Iggy play over Drew. I know what will happen, and we will be a worse team for it. That's my whole point. This mentality of playing worse players, because they "earned it" or are paid to play is losing baseball.

I dont downplay Drew as a player because I want Iggy to start.

Neither do I, but I do face reality. I have never pumped up Iggy's offense to make my point clearer. I've said over and over, I'll be Ok with a .220BA/.600 OPS from Iggy over a .280/.730 from Drew or even a .776 OPS.

And I do want Iggy to start. I deal with the reality of the situation and understand it.

Stop acting like I don't understand it. I do. 

Drew is a much better offensive threat than Iggy and iggy is a much better defender than Drew. Drew was signed for obvious reasons and IS going to play when he returns. Whether anyone agrees with it or not, thats the reality. After this year, we have Iggy for 6 more years until he hits FA. He will have his day. Why not enjoy the fact that we have 2 good SS at our disposal and are winning right now.\

I don't enjoy watching an inferior player play while the better one is on the bench or in AAA. I will enjoy every hit Drew gets, but I will cringe everytime a ball just misses his glove.

So far this team has looked to make a lot of good signings. Victorino has looked the best so far. All of them are a good fit for this team and city. Drew will not be the defensive liability that you think.

What do you base this on? Hope?

He will provide good D along with some pop in his bat. How about we give him a chance before crucifying him...

Just because I like Iggy over Drew, does not mean I thinki Drew is useless or a negative influence. I think Drew is an average SS overall. He'll win some and lose some. 

Why not view my position as really liking Iggy and not "crucifying" Drew. Can you understand that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BTW, Drew has the 10th best OPS from 2007-2013 at .754. (Out of 44 SSs with 1500+ PAs).

He's 8th out of 28 SSs with 2000+ PAs. Top third.

He's 22nd out of 26 SSs in UZR/150 (4000+ innings). Bottom third.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Proof once again that ST stats mean nothing. Victorino was abysmal in ST and has not had a game without being on base. Bradley, meanwhile, was the cats meow, and now has more strikeouts than anyone on the team other than Napoli and Middlebrooks, with a slg pct. below .200.

Bradley was never "the cats meow". Is there a reason you didn't mention his OBP and defensive skills. Your claims is loaded propaganda.

Let's look at this in a few more months, and see where Shane is and see where this team is.

6 game stats mean nothing. Lets take a look at 162 game stats.

You can look at Victoriono's whole career to see where he is. It isn't a big mystery.  Good defense, good speed, 770 OPS 276 career average.

What are you trying to figure out about him?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Too bad for Bradley that his inevitable slump came just as the real games began, and lucky for Sox and Vic he got hot just as they began, hitting goes in cycles like that, Vic will strike out again and Bradley will hit again, agree 7 games have little or no meaning in terms of stats.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You can look at Victoriono's whole career to see where he is. It isn't a big mystery. Good defense, good speed, 770 OPS 276 career average.

Shane's speed has declined, despite the spkied SB in 2012. Good defense doesn't cost 13 million a year. He has declined from those averages.  

What are you trying to figure out about him?

The issue isn't what Shane used to be, the issue is where a player is after 7 games in the season.

Right a 7 game sample means nothing. Just like Spring Training stats.

I agree.