What to do with our prospects?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

What to do with our prospects?

A few seasons ago the Sox system was said to be loaded with talent in the lower levels, but lacked major league ready talent. Fast forward and we have a handful of players knocking at the door for their first opportunity in The Show. Tough, long-term decisions loom for management regarding what to do with these prospects and what to do with the incumbents at their respective positions? Trades, positional changes, letting incumbents walk into free agency are all likelihoods. Let's discuss the players and the options...

1) Xander Bogaerts: We will get this one out of the way first. Already an offensive contributor for the Sox at the age of 21. Sox should look to offer him a young-Lester type contract after this season or next like (5YR, 35M with team options on the end to extend it to 7 years). However, defensively long term he may need to be a third baseman, first baseman, left fielder, or DH. Something to keep in mind when discussing long-term positions for other players. For now he is a SS and the Sox won't make that move until it's necessary, but it is a real possibility.

2) Henry Owens: Impressive lefty pitcher may force his way into the rotation sooner rather than later. The rotation going into 2015 is completely up in the air with Lester, Lackey, Peavy for contract reasons and Buchholz and Doubront for performance reasons. There is nothing holding him back to make the jump. I hope that the Sox don't view him as the reason to let Lester walk, however. It took Lester time to become what he has - just as it will take Owens time to reach his potential. Losing Lester and replacing him with Owens would result in a drop in performance and productivity.

3) Mookie Betts: This kid is amazing, but his long term position is unknown. Second base is ideal, but Pedroia is locked up long-term. Is he trade bait? Does he have the arm/range to play short? The arm to play 3rd? Could the IF be arranged with Bogaerts at third, Pedroia at short, and Betts at second? I don't know what to do with him, but his offense is dynamic.

4) Garin Cecchini: Appears to be a prototypical Red Sox offensive player. Patient, gap-power, plus-power potential, some speed on the basepaths, good baserunner, and a rare lefty hitting third baseman. He can supplant Middlebrooks with some good play from himself and poor play from the latter. But if Middlebrooks improves or if Bogaerts needs to move to third, what is next for Cecchini? Left field? First base? DH? Trade bait? Would Middlebrooks be traded?

5) Pitching Glut: Every starter not named Owens ie; Ranaudo, Workman, Barnes, Johnson etc. I think this will work itself out. Those that perform this season will be first in line to get a crack at the rotation next season. With all of the flux in the current rotation, it is possible that we have three rookies pitching next year.

6) Catchers: Vazquez, Swihart, Butler are the ones in question. The Sox obviously think highly of their catching prospects and elected to let Salty walk and bring in a one year stop gap to hold the position. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vazquez as the starter next season. I don't think Swihart is quite ready yet. 

Are these prospects good enough that we move the incumbents? Should the blocked players (Betts, Cecchini etc) be packaged in a trade? What positional changes should happen?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What to do with our prospects?

This is why Benny Boy gets the Big Bucks. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

What to do with the prospects?

1. Call them all up immediately, regardless of where they are in their development or how long they've been at their current level. Middlebrooks is hurt? Call up Cecchini. Pedroia gets hurt? Call up Betts. Opening in the rotation? Where's Owens? Injury to Napoli or Papi? Maybe Raphael Devers is ready.

Also, a corollary to #1: Never sign any veteran player, ever, beause they could conceivably "block the kids." (Someone seriously used this as a reason not to bring Cordero to spring training.)

2. Then, when the prospects do get to play, call the owner cheap for allowing them to do so and, if they aren't producing All-Star level results in their first 2 weeks in the majors, declare them overrated and send them back down. (Or send them with other players you believe stink and spare parts in a package for theoretical, unnamed "ace pitcher" or "big bat.")

That's the BDC way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

A few seasons ago the Sox system was said to be loaded with talent in the lower levels, but lacked major league ready talent. Fast forward and we have a handful of players knocking at the door for their first opportunity in The Show. Tough, long-term decisions loom for management regarding what to do with these prospects and what to do with the incumbents at their respective positions? Trades, positional changes, letting incumbents walk into free agency are all likelihoods. Let's discuss the players and the options...

1) Xander Bogaerts: We will get this one out of the way first. Already an offensive contributor for the Sox at the age of 21. Sox should look to offer him a young-Lester type contract after this season or next like (5YR, 35M with team options on the end to extend it to 7 years). However, defensively long term he may need to be a third baseman, first baseman, left fielder, or DH. Something to keep in mind when discussing long-term positions for other players. For now he is a SS and the Sox won't make that move until it's necessary, but it is a real possibility.

I agree with this. Ive never said he wont move, but because SS has been his only position, he has improved the last couple years, and he has more value at the position, Im willing to bet unless out of necessity or just unbelievably horrible defense he will remain at SS all year. Hes going to kick some balls and needs to not be flat footed when the pitch is thrown, so I would think they would allow for some rookie errors and mistakes. Same goes for another rookie on the roster.

Next in line is Deven Marrero, besides a couple UI type guys, and he still needs to prove he can make it through AA. What Xander is doing so far is what you can expect from a lot of good prospects when they first arrive in MLB full time. Its early, so lets give the kid some rope this year.

2) Henry Owens: Impressive lefty pitcher may force his way into the rotation sooner rather than later. The rotation going into 2015 is completely up in the air with Lester, Lackey, Peavy for contract reasons and Buchholz and Doubront for performance reasons. There is nothing holding him back to make the jump. I hope that the Sox don't view him as the reason to let Lester walk, however. It took Lester time to become what he has - just as it will take Owens time to reach his potential. Losing Lester and replacing him with Owens would result in a drop in performance and productivity.

If its true, it was a lowball offer to Lester. With that said, Im sure the Sox will come up significantly and work out a long term deal with him. Lester has no injury history, has a smooth easy delivery, and has now become a "pitcher". Id offer him a 5-6 yr deal. Sometimes you have to look what you have in front of you and decide if hes worth the risk. I say yes. Doubront is the LHP Id worry more about.

Owens still has some work to do, but is showing consistent improvement. We Could see him get a cup of coffee in sept depending on how theyre doing, But other than that, I think he'll remain in AA-AAA this year with a couple guys ahead of him.

3) Mookie Betts: This kid is amazing, but his long term position is unknown. Second base is ideal, but Pedroia is locked up long-term. Is he trade bait? Does he have the arm/range to play short? The arm to play 3rd? Could the IF be arranged with Bogaerts at third, Pedroia at short, and Betts at second? I don't know what to do with him, but his offense is dynamic.

Betts can play SS and 2b. He also hinted that he could play CF and maybe 3b too if needed. From what I know and read, hes very athletic and could handle playing another position if they ask him to. I think they will hold on to him, and like Owens, he could jump to AAA depending on how he and Marrero develop this year in AA. I dont see any trips to Boston other than a COC, and thats not even realistic this year IMO.

4) Garin Cecchini: Appears to be a prototypical Red Sox offensive player. Patient, gap-power, plus-power potential, some speed on the basepaths, good baserunner, and a rare lefty hitting third baseman. He can supplant Middlebrooks with some good play from himself and poor play from the latter. But if Middlebrooks improves or if Bogaerts needs to move to third, what is next for Cecchini? Left field? First base? DH? Trade bait? Would Middlebrooks be traded?

Cecchini needs work defensively. Hes a good candidate to switch positions if he cant handle the hot corner. For now, he will get his work in this year in AAA and take his bumps on defense in the hopes of some improvement. Offensively hes advanced and is the prototypical patient, work the count, Red Sox hitter. Possibly has more power to come, but right now reminds me of a Joe Mauer. High BA and High OBP with a bunch of XBH, BB, and about 10HR power. Have to wait and see on that. Like everyone else, it depends on how the guy ahead of him is doing and if there becomes a need and the right situation to give him a shot. That would be 2 rookies on the left side and another one in CF, so Im not sure they will give him a shot until his defense improves.

5) Pitching Glut: Every starter not named Owens ie; Ranaudo, Workman, Barnes, Johnson etc. I think this will work itself out. Those that perform this season will be first in line to get a crack at the rotation next season. With all of the flux in the current rotation, it is possible that we have three rookies pitching next year.

It'll work itself out.

6) Catchers: Vazquez, Swihart, Butler are the ones in question. The Sox obviously think highly of their catching prospects and elected to let Salty walk and bring in a one year stop gap to hold the position. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vazquez as the starter next season. I don't think Swihart is quite ready yet. 

Defensively, Vasquez is about ready. He has made good improvements offensively too, but Im not sure he will be a high OBP catcher, but theres been hints of improvement there. We'll have to wait and see how his offense comes along. .289 .376 .395 .771 was his line in AA last year. Hes batting .279 with a .312OBP, .774 OPS right now. 9 2b and 7 RBI. Looking good so far.

Swihart is about the same offensively as Vasquez. (theres a .010 difference in OPS). Defensively, Vasquez is ahead of him defensively right now, but Swihart has been looking good so far. Vasquez will get the first shot between the two as it stands now. Swihart maybe in 2015 sometime.

Are these prospects good enough that we move the incumbents? Should the blocked players (Betts, Cecchini etc) be packaged in a trade? What positional changes should happen?

All of the players mentioned above could be in a trade, Although I would say unless the return is pretty special, I dont see most of these guys going anywhere. Have to re evaluate at the deadline and the end of the season. As of right now, there staying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pedey will not be moved to SS, if anything Betts would play there.

I see this team before too long...

C Vazquez/Swihart (Butler?)

1B Middy/Cecchini 

2b Pedey/Rijo/Betts

SS Marrero/Betts (Lin?)

3B Bogey/Middy (Devers a ways away)

LF Cecchini/Margot, Betts or Rijo or TBA

CF JBJ

RF TBA (Brentz/Hassan?)

DH Betts/Cecchini (Coyle?)

Lots of flexibility on this team with several players able to play several positions.

It's nice to have power in numbers when it comes to pitching prospects, but I'd like to have more quality than quantity (18 by my count) as we stand now.

Buch, Workman, Britton & Doubront.

Owens, de la Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo, 

T Ball, Stankie, B Johnson, Callahan, Mercedes, Litrell, L Diaz, Light, Kukuk 

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The "can't miss" players should be fed into the ML roster sooooner than the RED SOX like to do......   IE:  OWENS, if Doubront is considered a #3, Pevey 4 & Strange Clay 5, I would think that OWENS at this time could be productive......  Workman ???  Why is he down on the farm ???  Ben should explore moving anything that is treading water or  (STRANGE CLAY) going backwards........  As DAD would say...... "SON,  Don't let the KIDS die on the VINE" !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Call them all up immediately, regardless of where they are in their development or how long they've been at their current level. Middlebrooks is hurt? Call up Cecchini. Pedroia gets hurt? Call up Betts. Opening in the rotation? Where's Owens? Injury to Napoli or Papi? Maybe Raphael Devers is ready.

Also, a corollary to #1: Never sign any veteran player, ever, beause they could conceivably "block the kids." (Someone seriously used this as a reason not to bring Cordero to spring training.)

2. Then, then the prospects do get to play, call the owner cheap for allowing them to do so and, if they aren't producing All-Star level results in their first 2 weeks in the majors, declare them overrated and send them back down. (Or send them with other players you believe stink and spare parts in a package for theoretical, unnamed "ace pitcher" or "big bat.")

That's the BDC way.

[/QUOTE]

Raphael Devers hasn't played in one game of professional ball since being signed and is only 17.  A 17 year old hasn't played in the leagues since 1964.  But the rest looks really good.  Not at the expense of injury but I'd love to see Betts/Owens/Cecchini this year.

I was against Betts getting to the big leagues this year.  But if he continues to put up video game stats and gets called up in August his path to the majors will look eerily similar to Jacoby Ellsburys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

One issue with prospects is that they are young developing players.  Sometimes they have nothing left to learn in the minors and are very close to being very good MLBers and the only way they get there is by playing MLB players and making the adjustments.

Fans often have very little patience and expect players to be great right away.

Jackie Bradley Jr. comes to mind.  There would be effectively zero use in sending him to AAA, unless of course we figured we had a better option at the MLB level.  But there is nothing for him to learn in Pawtucket and everything to gain by giving him some time at the MLB level.

He hasn't fully turned the corner yet, but he has started to show at times why the Sox think he can be really special and I'm starting to see that others are realizing this as well.

All these guys we are drooling over now are probably no different.  Everyone assumes Henry Owens is going to be this great pitcher and probably has a really really good shot of being something between a #2 and a #4 but when he gets to the big league level he might struggle for a while, same can be said about Cecchini, Vasquez, Betts.

Sure maybe 1 or 2 of these guys hit the ground running but the reality is there is growing pains.  However the dividends paid out by sustaining these growing pains is ten fold.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Good problem to have

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The prospects' fate is determined by the "Notin 10-30-30-30 Rule for Prospects," less formally known as the "Notin 10-Triple-30 Rule for Prospects" in certain circles. 

Many of those circles are in cornfields, so never trust anyone you meet in them...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The "can't miss" players should be fed into the ML roster sooooner than the RED SOX like to do......   IE:  OWENS, if Doubront is considered a #3, Pevey 4 & Strange Clay 5, I would think that OWENS at this time could be productive......  Workman ???  Why is he down on the farm ???  Ben should explore moving anything that is treading water or  (STRANGE CLAY) going backwards........  As DAD would say...... "SON,  Don't let the KIDS die on the VINE" !!!

[/QUOTE]

Once way back when, I was watching a Braves-Pirates game on TBS, when a young kid playing among his first professional games stepped up to the plate.  Addressing the situation, the late Skip Turner wisely said "there is no such thing as a can't-miss prospect."   And he was right, especially when you consider that he finished he thoughts on the young player by saying "but this Barry Bonds kid is about as close as you get."

If Barry Bonds was not a can't-miss prospect, we don't have one...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pedey will not be moved to SS, if anything Betts would play there.

I see this team before too long...

C Vazquez/Swihart (Butler?)

1B Middy/Cecchini 

2b Pedey/Rijo/Betts

SS Marrero/Betts (Lin?)

3B Bogey/Middy (Devers a ways away)

LF Cecchini/Margot, Betts or Rijo or TBA

CF JBJ

RF TBA (Brentz/Hassan?)

DH Betts/Cecchini (Coyle?)

Lots of flexibility on this team with several players able to play several positions.

It's nice to have power in numbers when it comes to pitching prospects, but I'd like to have more quality than quantity (18 by my count) as we stand now.

Buch, Workman, Britton & Doubront.

Owens, de la Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo, 

T Ball, Stankie, B Johnson, Callahan, Mercedes, Litrell, L Diaz, Light, Kukuk 

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I would love to see this happen, with the holes being filled with a couple of high priced talented vets. By the time that team would be going a guy like Stanton would fit that bill as a FA instead of the trade everyone talks about now. That's why the Sox and the Cardinals have been the top teams of the past decade or so...they are the perfect blend of the Yankees, A's and Rays. They find and develop their own talent, but have the money to go out and pay for guys. And other than the Crawford signing, for the most part they choose the guys that fit what they want and get them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2. Then, then the prospects do get to play, call the owner cheap for allowing them to do so and, if they aren't producing All-Star level results in their first 2 weeks in the majors, declare them overrated and send them back down. (Or send them with other players you believe stink and spare parts in a package for theoretical, unnamed "ace pitcher" or "big bat.")

That's the BDC way.

[/QUOTE]

Raphael Devers hasn't played in one game of professional ball since being signed and is only 17.  A 17 year old hasn't played in the leagues since 1964.  But the rest looks really good.  Not at the expense of injury but I'd love to see Betts/Owens/Cecchini this year.

I was against Betts getting to the big leagues this year.  But if he continues to put up video game stats and gets called up in August his path to the majors will look eerily similar to Jacoby Ellsburys.

[/QUOTE]

Hugh?  I think you forgot you sacasti-glasses when reading that post...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

There may have been just a touch of sarcasm in my post. I was attempting to lampoon the posters who seem to think calling up a prospect, ready or not, will be some kind of a magic fix for any deficiency on the major league roster, and yet display a stunning lack of patience with the kids when they do make it up to the show.

In all seriousness, though, I think that Cecchini and Vazquez are not too far off, and I'd love to see Betts, Owens, and maybe even Swihart get a cup of coffee at least by the end of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

There may have been just a touch of sarcasm in my post. I was attempting to lampoon the posters who seem to think calling up a prospect, ready or not, will be some kind of a magic fix for any deficiency on the major league roster, and yet display a stunning lack of patience with the kids when they do make it up to the show.

In all seriousness, though, I think that Cecchini and Vazquez are not too far off, and I'd love to see Betts, Owens, and maybe even Swihart get a cup of coffee at least by the end of the season.

[/QUOTE]

That makes sense....because usually I feel like you do make sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Casey Stengal was asked about two 20 year old prospects the NYY had.  So he points to one and says in ten years, that kid could be a star.

So the reporter points to the other 20 year old and asks Stengal what he thought he'd be in 10 years.  Stengal replied '30'.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[/QUOTE]

I would love to see this happen, with the holes being filled with a couple of high priced talented vets. By the time that team would be going a guy like Stanton would fit that bill as a FA instead of the trade everyone talks about now. That's why the Sox and the Cardinals have been the top teams of the past decade or so...they are the perfect blend of the Yankees, A's and Rays. They find and develop their own talent, but have the money to go out and pay for guys. And other than the Crawford signing, for the most part they choose the guys that fit what they want and get them.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

One plan may include moving Pedroia. The Sox are not likely to fall into the Jeter trap with him. when you look at it from 10,000 feet, he plays great defense at a position that's not critical for that attribute. He's oft injured and has reached his peak at age 30, (he turn 31 in August). He's much beloved by Sox Nation, but is not the offensive player that Nomar was, and we know how that ended. Plus he's blocking Betts. Holding on to him for too long would be a mistake, and doesn't fit the front office modus operandi. He'll get his bobblehead night, but I'd be surprised if he completes his contract in Boston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

One plan may include moving Pedroia. The Sox are not likely to fall into the Jeter trap with him. when you look at it from 10,000 feet, he plays great defense at a position that's not critical for that attribute. He's oft injured and has reached his peak at age 30, (he turn 31 in August). He's much beloved by Sox Nation, but is not the offensive player that Nomar was, and we know how that ended. Plus he's blocking Betts. Holding on to him for too long would be a mistake, and doesn't fit the front office modus operandi. He'll get his bobblehead night, but I'd be surprised if he completes his contract in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Blasphemy!

;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see the Sox moving Pedrioa to SS that ship sailed two or three years ago and I would be surprised, not shocked if he doesn't finish his career in a Sox uniform. There's no comparison between he and Nomar's situation. Nomar was a disgruntled employee who made it known that he was unhappy playing for the Red Sox, oft injured and was soon to be a free agent (with whispers about being ped user). Pedrioa is highly respected by his peers, seen as a leader in the clubhouse who just signed a team friendly deal and is one of the best at his position.  A position (2nd base) that suits his stature as he approaches the twilight of his career. 

That said while Betts a highly touted prospect, who turns 22 in October currently is projected to be a major league prospect. He's still in AA and is a year or two years away from what is considered league age norm to make the jump to the big leagues...It's a tad bit premature to project him to replace Pedrioa let alone being good enough to make the jump to the big leagues. Lets see how well he does in AA and then AAA as he faces advanced pitching. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

For those interested in taking a drive up 95 today--Henry Owens is scheduled to start against the Yankees AA Trenton .

You can also get a look at Betts, Coyle, Shaw and Ramos along with the return of the new Frank Sullivan, Michael Olmsted-6'7, 280 pounds.

Game time, Sun,  1 PM--Hadlock Field

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    Blasphemy! ;)

The GM handbook says to love the man, hate the player. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Typically stupid comment from Algernon-666.  "Can't miss"?  What a fool.

And why the rude, stupid nickname for Buchholz?  You really are an awful person, aren't you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Typically stupid comment from Algernon-666.  "Can't miss"?  What a fool.

And why the rude, stupid nickname for Buchholz?  You really are an awful person, aren't you?

[/QUOTE]

Now you know why I've Bill-minus 806 blocked. His dumb comments, lack of respect for players, etc out number his useful comment at least 10-1. So why bother reading his comments at all. I've better things to do with my time like reading comments from those like Moon, Bill from FLA, etc that I respect. 

Hetch