What to do with Robinson Cano.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: What to do with Robinson Cano.....

The Angles already regret the Pujols contract which is why they doubled down on Hamilton. All or nothing for them.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

I read a quote from Cano months back where he said he wasn't going to give the Yankees a discount this time, that he wanted a 10 year deal.

I see Dodger blue if he sticks to his ten year demand.

And how many times did you tell me I was wrong on the ARod deal?

BTW, I think the NYY should sign Cano to that 9-year deal he wants.

And that has nothing to do with me hating the EE.

Yeah Joe, before Arod was revealed to be a cheat probably numerous times.

And lets not forget if Arod was clean it was expected at the end of the contract he would have been rescuing the homerun title from the then known cheats before we knew he was one too..

That homerun race was expected to generate hugh revenue for the Yankees.

You can pretty much only break the record on one day.  The best you get is sellouts for a week or two for Aaron and Bonds, maybe Ruth.  Increased TV ratings as well for a week or two each time.  And since they are mostly sold out, it isn't a lot of extra tickets.

And everyone knew he was cheating.

Baloney. Let's not rewrite history here to suite your agenda.

No one knew he was cheating in 2008 when he signed his last contract. The Yankees didn't know for sure, he was considered the best player in the game, the Sox tried to sign him from Texas in 2004 and would have if not for the MLB players association dissatisfaction with the way the contract was drawn up.

Then the mumblings from Jose Canseco about what went on in Texas which were dismissed by just about everyone. But Arod was not one mentioned in Canseco's book.

Canseco was considered a  crazy man a pariah until one by one all of the names he mentioned all turned out to be accurate.

Canseco after Arod had signed the Yankee contract said he would release a second book for opening day 2008 and the selling point for the book was information on Arod. That was the first public info on Arod as far as juicing. He was not in the Mitchell report. The book however was not released because the editor said there was not enough info for a book. 

Then the Selena Roberts released her book in 2009 stating Rodriquez was one of the 104 players who failed the MLB administered drug test in 2003.

Then in 2009 Arod publically admitted using while in Texas 2001-3

As far as the Yankees capitalizing on the homerun chase your point is pretty stupid.

Yes the record can only be broken on one day but the chase, the media coverage, the road sell-outs and gear was what the Yankees were referring to which could have generated revenue the record setting season and beyond, they claimed at the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I read a quote from Cano months back where he said he wasn't going to give the Yankees a discount this time, that he wanted a 10 year deal.

Yeah Joe, before Arod was revealed to be a cheat probably numerous times.

And lets not forget if Arod was clean it was expected at the end of the contract he would have been rescuing the homerun title from the then known cheats before we knew he was one too..

You can pretty much only break the record on one day.  The best you get is sellouts for a week or two for Aaron and Bonds, maybe Ruth.  Increased TV ratings as well for a week or two each time.  And since they are mostly sold out, it isn't a lot of extra tickets.

Btw Arod failed the same test in 2003 that Manny and Papi failed.

Did everyone know they were cheating too?

None of us had a clue any of those three were on that list.

And why the Red Sox pursued Arod when he wanted out of Texas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

As far as the Yankees capitalizing on the homerun chase your point is pretty stupid.

Yes the record can only be broken on one day but the chase, the media coverage, the road sell-outs and gear was what the Yankees were referring to which could have generated revenue the record setting season and beyond.

Until he was revealed to be a fraud and a cheat by Selena Roberts in 2009.

All the health issues since.

[/QUOTE]

i disagree, they are paying him 6Mil for each player he passed on the HR list (and wasn't thereanother giant bonus for actually topping the list??). so for a couple days (to a few weeks) of expanded coverage and exposure probably won't make up for the Millions doled out to him for passing. Not to mention the 25Mil per too.. We won't know for sure now that he is a cheating bum but that's just my opinion anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Yes the record can only be broken on one day but the chase, the media coverage, the road sell-outs and gear was what the Yankees were referring to which could have generated revenue the record setting season and beyond.

Until he was revealed to be a fraud and a cheat by Selena Roberts in 2009.

All the health issues since.

i disagree, they are paying him 6Mil for each player he passed on the HR list (and wasn't thereanother giant bonus for actually topping the list??). so for a couple days (to a few weeks) of expanded coverage and exposure probably won't make up for the Millions doled out to him for passing. Not to mention the 25Mil per too.. We won't know for sure now that he is a cheating bum but that's just my opinion anyway.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't give him the contract, which was difficult to defend even for the Steinbrenners but now considering that we are talking about a self admitted cheat.

It was easy to defend him as a player when he was putting up good numbers when I and everyone else thought that he was a natural.

Including the Red Sox and Yankees.

Whether or not the Yankees could have generated more revenue when he closed in on Bonds and then surpassed him none of us will ever know.

But for Joe Braidy to say we all knew (he failed the 2003 test and was cheating) in 2008 is not true.

He absolutely would not have had the Sox or the Yankees in hot pursuit if that was the case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

The Angles already regret the Pujols contract which is why they doubled down on Hamilton. All or nothing for them.

Doubled down...I like that, Enchilada.  Very good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

4 years and 120 million to play in NYC. He'll study that very carefully, as his agent begs for higher offers from one or two big market teams with GM's who want to show how incompetent they are.

Mea Culpa.  I read your post as $120M/5, not 4 years.  Yes, you are right, he would certainly consider $30M per.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

And I have to tell you whether or not we knew that Arod was using steroids is one argument.

Yes we've had disagreements over whether or not they could generate money for the homerun chase.

But to say that I defended that obscene contract based on the length he was given in 2008 is quite another.

We've had debates over whether or not Arod was in decline as a ball player (pre-2007) and before I found out he was a cheat but never that I recall of you and any Yankee fans arguing with you defending the terms of Arod's (2008)contract.

If anything I've ripped Hal and Hank for it when Cashman opposed it. As most Yankee fans have.

For too many years.

Another one of your fantasies Joe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Sorry, in this case, it is tripling down.

1-Wells at ~ $20M worked out as expected, so they went to Pujols.

2-Pujols produced as expected, so they went to Hamilton.

3-And Hamilton is not a horrible signing, compared to #1 and #2.  His WAR/$ should be 50% higher, maybe double, the other two.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

U could say the Angels couldn't afford to not sign Hamilton. They mortaged their future payroll abilities ..... win now or never.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I think the Yankees should offer 6 years. The dollar amount would more than likely would be in the 200m per range.

Anything more than that is Dodger blue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment

that's not even close to being right

a lot of this deal was about his rep

You can pretty much only break the record on one day.  The best you get is sellouts for a week or two for Aaron and Bonds, maybe Ruth.  Increased TV ratings as well for a week or two each time.

wow that's refreshing JB

some in RSN might suggest with his history of delivery in prime time

we could stretch those  'needs 1 more'  moments for weeks

And since they are mostly sold out, it isn't a lot of extra tickets.

building the  brand

greetings mef

now it's my turn to ask you to read this

granted the plan failed big time

but some thought it was a good plan

it's pretty long so I'll owe U 1

A-Rod's dollars make sense for Yankees 

By Vince Gennaro, Special to Yahoo! Sports
    November 27, 2007

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

''As an alternative to spending money on A-Rod, the Yankees could put their cash in a 10-year Treasury Bond and earn a risk-free return of about 4.25 percent. The expected revenue stream from a 10-year player contract is at least as risky as a Triple-C rated junk bond, which currently yields 12.5 percent. By paying A-Rod a $275 million salary and bonus payments that could earn him $305 million, the Yankees can pay another $120 million in luxury taxes and still generate a fair return on their investment that compensates them for their risk.'' Vince Gennaro, Special to Yahoo! Sports
    November 27, 2007

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment

that's not even close to being right

a lot of this deal was about his rep

You can pretty much only break the record on one day.  The best you get is sellouts for a week or two for Aaron and Bonds, maybe Ruth.  Increased TV ratings as well for a week or two each time.

wow that's refreshing JB

some in RSN might suggest with his history of delivery in prime time

we could stretch those  'needs 1 more'  moments for weeks

And since they are mostly sold out, it isn't a lot of extra tickets.

building the  brand

greetings mef

now it's my turn to ask you to read this

granted the plan failed big time

but some thought it was a good plan

it's pretty long so I'll owe U 1

November 27, 2007

Exactly Zac.

I've been around for awhile and thought that I'd seen everything but finding out in 2009 that ARod was using juice and had failed the 2003 test was like a punch in the gut.

I had like everyone else dismissed whatever Jose Canseco had to say and thought at the time that anything he said should have been taken with a grain of salt considering him trying to overcome his debt issues by selling his book.

If you remember Canseco had no mention of ARod in his first book I think the title was "Juiced", released around 2005.

But then in 2008 Canseco tried to sell/shop a second book (Vindicated) of course that was after the Mitchell report and was to be released at the beginning of 2008 season including info he leaked to the media to sensationlize his book that he had PED info on ARod.

But that was long after ARod had inked his most recent contract (Nov 2007) with the Yankees.

And Canseco's comments were the first time Arod's name was publicly linked with PEDS by anyone.

Then nothing in the Mitchell Report about Arod until 2009 when Selena Roberts of ESPN released her book and shortly thereafter Arod confessed.

But JB knew all along.

But never shared that info. with any of us that I can remember.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

But JB knew all along.

Hmm not sure what JB knew

but he knew better than his post that I addressed

TWM somewhere yesterday U raised the question

of what R we are missing by not having uncle geo

around anymore to call out players

jeter actually was jokin about that

and how it kept him and a young andy

from ever  thinking their job was  safe

I do wonder how uncle geo might have effected joba's career

and that's not even counting a  'fat toad II ' remark ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'm thinking unless Joba has a stellar year he could get his wish of starting somewhere in 2014.

Like for the Royals.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No one knew he was cheating in 2008 when he signed his last contract. The Yankees didn't know for sure, 

I guess if you want to throw in the qualifier 'know for sure', then the argument has merit.  But when a guy that has been accused of using steroids, has a career season at the age of 31-32, I guess you can beleive if you want, but it seemed blatantly obvious to me.

From 1966 to 1989, one person hit 50 HRs.  Then a guy already accused of using steroids, hits 54.  Prior to the steroid era, in the entire history of US BB, only 3 righties hit more, all younger, and all in easier parks.

The NYY either knew, or they should have strongly suspected.  There is no third option.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And Canseco's comments were the first time Arod's name was publicly linked with PEDS by anyone.

Then nothing in the Mitchell Report about Arod until 2009 when Selena Roberts of ESPN released her book and shortly thereafter Arod confessed.

But JB knew all along.

1-By the time Canseco was talking about his 2nd book, everyone took his first book as gospel.  By the time 2007 rolled around, Canseco was the single most candid source of steroid news available.

2-Anyone hitting a lot of HRs during the steroid era has to be suspected.  If a guy hits 57 HRs, and you're not suspicious, then nothing would make you suspicious.

3-You know how many players had 50 HRs B2B prior to the steroid era?  One guy named Babe Ruth.

There really isn't a lot to discuss.  I remember when I mentioned Giambi to Yankee fans, and one of the responses I got was that it was Mattingly's coaching and better vitamins.  You'll believe anything you want to  believe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

November 27, 2007

Like i said in 2007, nothing in that article made any sense.  Generic references to performance values and marquee values.  Two interesting facts about the article-

1-His performance value was going to go from $17M in 2008 to $50M in 2011, at age 35.  A piece of that was the impact of the new stadium, even though the assumption was already that the stadium would mostly sell out in the first year or two.

2-Somehow, his performance value was going to be higher at age 42 than at age 33.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Cano probably one of the few players who can command the mega bucks long term contract.   For my money, he is the most feared player to step into the batters box for Yankees.   Wished many times he wore a RS uni.  Cashman will pony up, imo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Cano probably one of the few players who can command the mega bucks long term contract.   For my money, he is the most feared player to step into the batters box for Yankees.   Wished many times he wore a RS uni.  Cashman will pony up, imo.

Agreed.  I always feared Cano more than ARod or Tex.  Tex was signed at a younger age, so it isn't directly comparable, but Cano is worth more per season than either of those two.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

No one knew he was cheating in 2008 when he signed his last contract. The Yankees didn't know for sure, 

I guess if you want to throw in the qualifier 'know for sure', then the argument has merit.  But when a guy that has been accused of using steroids, has a career season at the age of 31-32, I guess you can beleive if you want, but it seemed blatantly obvious to me.

From 1966 to 1989, one person hit 50 HRs.  Then a guy already accused of using steroids, hits 54.  Prior to the steroid era, in the entire history of US BB, only 3 righties hit more, all younger, and all in easier parks.

The NYY either knew, or they should have strongly suspected.  There is no third option.

Joe what you're talking about is a time period that we're looking in the rear mirror at pre 2007.

I've read your posts for years and during that time period, no one you included was talking about ARod using PEDS prior to Selena Roberts. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

But JB knew all along.

1-By the time Canseco was talking about his 2nd book, everyone took his first book as gospel.  By the time 2007 rolled around, Canseco was the single most candid source of steroid news available.

2-Anyone hitting a lot of HRs during the steroid era has to be suspected.  If a guy hits 57 HRs, and you're not suspicious, then nothing would make you suspicious.

3-You know how many players had 50 HRs B2B prior to the steroid era?  One guy named Babe Ruth.

There really isn't a lot to discuss.  I remember when I mentioned Giambi to Yankee fans, and one of the responses I got was that it was Mattingly's coaching and better vitamins.  You'll believe anything you want to  believe.

But you never suspected Manny or Papi who put up great numbers during the same era and failed the same test as Arod, at least you never talked about it, the same way you never talked about Arod being a juicer.

You might ask yourself why Canseco outed the entire Texas crew and former teammates in his first book released in 2005 which included Giambi, McGwire, Juan Gonzalez, Ivan Rodriquez and Raphael Palmiero but no Arod.

Which kind of reinforced the idea during that time period that Arod was clean.

And why the Red Sox and Yankees felt comfortable when they both pursued him in 2004 when he wanted out of Texas.

Canseco saved the Arod tidbit for book 2 which the editor would not publish and deep sixed for lack of substance which also re-enforced the belief that Arod was not juicing. That was 2008.

It was kind of suspicious Canseco never mentioned Arod previously and it was also common knowlege there was a tiff between the two because Arod had slept with Canseco's exwife.

I lived through the Mantle-Maris era, I know what a 50 plus homerun hitter looks like and believe it's possible today without juice I've seen it. Mantle did it crippled. The players are bigger and stronger today. Arod is a hugh man in stature larger than Mantle or Maris.

No one criticized Jason Giambi and Garry Sheffield when they were with the Yankees more than I did for juicing. Openly saying I did not want them on my team.

One of the reasons a wedge grew between Zac and I was my constant criticism of jason Giambi.

I wrote here just a few weeks ago I thought Giambi was still on the juice, that he has never stopped.

Joe you are trying to rewrite what actually happened.

This is just another one of your imaginary Walter Mitty "I told you so moments" that you had with a phantom group of Yankee fans somewhere from the past that only you remember.

That you throw around here to bolster your stock knowing that it cannot be verified.