What to do with Wakefield???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

What to do with Wakefield???

Before I make my suggestion, let me say I’ve always liked Wakefield & still do.  In fact, as a 70’s senior, I tend to root for ALL older athletes.  However, as they say, "Business, is Business”.  He’s tried now 4-5 times to win # 200.   As a good gesture, I would not pitch him against a low era pitcher but one from whom we can be expected to hit & give Wake at least 5 runs so that he has a good chance to win # 200.  Then,  either retire him or let him do some relief for a couple of innings.  I believe he can fool teams the first time around but good hitters figure him out and his slow sinking balls can come across as big as a softball the 2nd or 3rd time around. 

Let’s not forget that the “300 club” is among the highest accomplishments a starting pitcher can achieve and only 25 have done it I believe. Some retired  with exactly 300 & a few others right after. It seems that this goal of 200 is a big plum for Wake, the Red Sox & the Fans so let it be and then, let him retire.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: What to do with Wakefield???

I would love to put him back in the role for which he was intended, which is long relief/spot starter. But if we do that, who becomes the No. 5 starter?
    (And honestly, Wake's been more consistent than Lackey, our supposed No. 3).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Wakefield is just now starting to
    pitch gems. His best years will be in his 50's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield???:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield is just now starting to pitch gems. His best years will be in his 50's.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]
    I agree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

Q:What to do with Wakefield?

A: Run him out there every 5th day, at least until Clay is back, as there is no better option right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

well, since he's thrown 6.2,7,7,7,8 in his last 5 starts, I can see that he's not doing the job for the team. Clearly a guy who allows 30 baserunners to reach base in his last 28 innings pitched in a pennant race must be put out to pasture as soon as possible. I mean he doesn't win games, and he certainly isn't a guy you can count on. Just retire, Tim, the people here have spoken...idiots, but they have spoken.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

let me tell you something, old man, Wakefield doesn't give a f-ck about the record, he wants to pitch well to help the team win, and basically he's done that in every start since his last win.....now, how bout you do us a favor and go back to sleep and take your meds. Again, everyone is focused on this record thing, and it seems to be failing on people to recognize that Wakefield is pitching better than most of the starting staff since mid-July. If you think Lackey is throwing better than him because he's won 6 of his last 7 starts, you might want to re-check how the Sox offense has helped him out compared to other starters, including Beckett..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Wakefield has to make most people laugh. What he does is not pitching, whiffly luanch ball at a potato salad picnic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Q:What to do with Wakefield? A: Run him out there every 5th day, at least until Clay is back, as there is no better option right now.
    Posted by stormcrow7878[/QUOTE]

!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

wakefield does care about the numbers dannycater. that is the only reason he has not retired. he has been a below average pitcher for years and has sucked the last few years to say the least. for wake it is all about getting win #200 and becoming the red sox alltime wins leader. wake hurts the team in multiple facets of the game. he is a defensive liability, he allows 5 runs pretty much every start now, he relies on 1 pitch, he makes it more difficult for the catcher because his floater is harder to catch than a normal pitch and as a result more wild pitches/passed balls, and he is extremely easy to steal off of. singles automatically turn into doubles when he is on the mound. currently we have 4/5 of the rotation locked in. beckett, lester, lackey, bedard will all start for sure. andrew miller is just as bad as wake if not worse so i would prob not start him. the guy i would start in the 5 spot instead of wake is kyle weiland. his first start was not great but his second start was much better. why not see what the kid can do. he cant do any worse than wakefield and he is half his age.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

to those who want wake out of the rotation, who would you have instead? unless the sox get someone who's not on the team right now, he's the best they've got after beckett and lester, especially in aug (actually he pitched better than lester in aug. lester has an aug era of 4.73)

look at the era

June        5.01
    July         6.23
    August     3.95 (and this is despite the bad outing against seattle today)

he's definitely pitched far better than lackey in aug

June        5.28 
    July         4.61
    Aug         5.79

only reason lackey's been 6-0 recently is that he benefitted from getting heavy run support - at least 6 runs in the first seven innings of every game he played. wake has had no decisions and losses because he's only gotten that kind of support once in jul and aug.

wake also pitched better in jul and aug than bedard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"What he does is not pitching, whiffly luanch ball at a potato salad picnic."

And yet you could not do what he does. That must be part of what is eating at you about all this. You sense you are more talented than him and yet he is living the dream and you are typing anonymously.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I am wealthier and not fat and bald. I dont envy Wakefield, who is also a terrible golfer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield has to make most people laugh. What he does is not pitching, whiffly luanch ball at a potato salad picnic.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

You sadly don't appreciate the art of the pitch.
    Few have ever mastered it.
    To win 200 games at his age in the highest level - the toughest division - the worst park for a flyball pitcher - really sad you form such a bias against a pitch you aren't willing to understand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I understand 8 homers in 6 games and an ERA over 5 for over 2 years. Art?

Why give Salty a PB everytime Wakefield has his goofball start?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Why does AGONE look like he's running in quick sand?

Passed balls are a part of the landscape for a knuckle ball pitcher.
    So is inducing outs. The drawback to AGONE'S slugging is his lack of speed. But it's hardly an overall detriment.

Instead of appreciating Wake's value - inexpensive depth - you are trying to isolate pieces. You raved about Hall's team value but ignore Wake's. Hall was much more athletic, yet he struck out regularly, had a low OPS and was a poor fielder.
    So, you key in on his attribute - his versatility to a bench in need of it. Fine.

This year, with the heavy pitching casualties, why not see the value of a guy who's stayed healthy, brings a 4.4 starter ERA in the A.L. East to the rotation in need of an innings eater?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Wake has a winning record. There are many teams out there with #4 starters that are well below .500.
    Bad defense coupled with little offense has been the problem in his last 4 starts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

SIT HIM NEXT TO JOHNNY PESKY !!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He is very involved with the charities in Boston which helps him. Too often he puts the team in a hole early and it kills the offense. Him giving up 5 runs to the worst offensive team in the AL is not helping this team out. He looked okay in Chicago, next time he picthed okay bullpen blew it. He looked awful in Minnesota and in Seattle. Francona will continue to march him out there because he is loyal to veterans even though he is killing this team. 
    I also think Red Sox management wants to see in reference to Roger Clemens erased as well and Wakefield is the closest available guy to do that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The logic that some use is that , since he is only the number five or six starter , his mediocre performance and 5.00 ERA is acceptable.  The goal should be to strive for something better than that.  The idea of numbering the starters 1-6  is meaningless. Each game is equally important in the standings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]let me tell you something, old man, Wakefield doesn't give a f-ck about the record, he wants to pitch well to help the team win, and basically he's done that in every start since his last win.....now, how bout you do us a favor and go back to sleep and take your meds. Again, everyone is focused on this record thing, and it seems to be failing on people to recognize that Wakefield is pitching better than most of the starting staff since mid-July. If you think Lackey is throwing better than him because he's won 6 of his last 7 starts, you might want to re-check how the Sox offense has helped him out compared to other starters, including Beckett..
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live on the West Coast & just got in from 1 1/2 hours tennis and read your caustic remarks..."f--k" terminology, "old man" , "take my meds etc.” In a previous post you say ” the people have spoken…idiots, but they have spoken “.  Obviously, you are not one making the Sherlock Holmes comment that did I think Lackey was better---I didn’t---and I’m aware that he’s lucky to have gotten run support to bail him out & that Beckett has had little run support.  I said I like Wakefield and I’m aware of his contribution to the Red Sox and he is truly a competitor.

You’ll be old someday unless your comments get you taken out by someone older. I’m a former Marine Officer Viet Nam combat veteran, did boxing in college & the Marine Corps, play USTA tennis tournaments & beat guys some 30 years younger, shoot a high 70-low 80 golf, swim 10-15 laps, jog a 10-12 min mile & “yup” all with the help of some various prescriptions from the VA hospital !

Maybe you should listen to some advice from an older person and “chill out” and make some intelligent remarks about baseball instead of insulting people. Hmmm ??? Wonder if you have the “Cojones/Coglioni” to do it to their faces ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]wakefield does care about the numbers dannycater. that is the only reason he has not retired. he has been a below average pitcher for years and has sucked the last few years to say the least. for wake it is all about getting win #200 and becoming the red sox alltime wins leader. wake hurts the team in multiple facets of the game. he is a defensive liability, he allows 5 runs pretty much every start now, he relies on 1 pitch, he makes it more difficult for the catcher because his floater is harder to catch than a normal pitch and as a result more wild pitches/passed balls, and he is extremely easy to steal off of. singles automatically turn into doubles when he is on the mound. currently we have 4/5 of the rotation locked in. beckett, lester, lackey, bedard will all start for sure. andrew miller is just as bad as wake if not worse so i would prob not start him. the guy i would start in the 5 spot instead of wake is kyle weiland. his first start was not great but his second start was much better. why not see what the kid can do. he cant do any worse than wakefield and he is half his age.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great analysis & thank you a bit for telling Cater that Wakefield does care about the numbers & reason he's delayed retirement. But if you read my original post, I think he can still be useful for 2-3 innings middle relief as he can fool batters the 1st time around but the 2nd & 3rd his balls are as hittable as softballs.

I responded to friend "Cater" with the following:

I live on the West Coast & just got in from 1 1/2 hours tennis and read your caustic remarks..."f--k" terminology, "old man" , "take my meds etc.” In a previous post you say ” the people have spoken…idiots, but they have spoken “.  Obviously, you are not one making the Sherlock Holmes comment that did I think Lackey was better---I didn’t---and I’m aware that he’s lucky to have gotten run support to bail him out & that Beckett has had little run support.  I said I like Wakefield and I’m aware of his contribution to the Red Sox and he is truly a competitor.

You’ll be old someday unless your comments get you taken out by someone older. I’m a former Marine Officer Viet Nam combat veteran, did boxing in college & the Marine Corps, play USTA tennis tournaments & beat guys some 30 years younger, shoot a high 70-low 80 golf, swim 10-15 laps, jog a 10-12 min mile & “yup” all with the help of some various prescriptions from the VA hospital !

Maybe you should listen to some advice from an older person and “chill out” and make some intelligent remarks about baseball instead of insulting people. Hmmm ??? Wonder if you have the “Cojones/Coglioni” to do it to their faces ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

make it look like an accident.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

From today's Herald -

Wakefield insists No. 200 isn’t weighing on his mind. Not anymore, at least. He copped to thinking a lot about the milestone during his first two attempts, but by now, he simply wants to get a victory to help the Red Sox extend their half-game AL East lead over the NYY

bootlickers can be quite disingenious when faced with uncomfortable developments - like Wake can't win a ballgame, cant stop allowing early deficits, can't stop getting tagged for homers each game, and is a liability on the mound because he is easy to steal and plays poor defense...

I'm not saying he hasn't been a decent sub - he has but as August turns into September and we are locked with the Yanks for first place, let's put the team first...Wake is best used out of the pen in long relief. Start Miller and put him on a short leash - then throw Wake in there..

I'm hoping Francona realizes this and makes the right changes - if not I'm reviving my tagline about Crack, Wake, and Coma.