Re: What to do with Wakefield???

In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield???:
    [QUOTE]Release him or put in the bull pen
    Posted by bill039[/QUOTE]

how about under the bullpen?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield??? : -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I live on the West Coast & just got in from 1 1/2 hours tennis and read your caustic remarks..."f--k" terminology, "old man" , "take my meds etc.” In a previous post you say ” the people have spoken…idiots, but they have spoken “.  Obviously, you are not one making the Sherlock Holmes comment that did I think Lackey was better---I didn’t---and I’m aware that he’s lucky to have gotten run support to bail him out & that Beckett has had little run support.  I said I like Wakefield and I’m aware of his contribution to the Red Sox and he is truly a competitor. You’ll be old someday unless your comments get you taken out by someone older. I’m a former Marine Officer Viet Nam combat veteran, did boxing in college & the Marine Corps, play USTA tennis tournaments & beat guys some 30 years younger, shoot a high 70-low 80 golf, swim 10-15 laps, jog a 10-12 min mile & “yup” all with the help of some various prescriptions from the VA hospital ! Maybe you should listen to some advice from an older person and “chill out” and make some intelligent remarks about baseball instead of insulting people. Hmmm ??? Wonder if you have the “Cojones/Coglioni” to do it to their faces ?
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

hey, I live on the West Coast too, I apologize only in the respect that I am appreciative of all of our armed forces and war veterans. I do not apologize for your uninformed view of Wakefield. And I will tell it to your face, and if you force me to fight you, I will Pedro v. Zimmer. . .just kidding. But I don't cower to threats. I called you names, you threatened me in response. No problem, sir. I'm not that young either. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

So if Josh Beckett or Roy Halladay had put up the following:
    7,7,7,8 IP in his last 4 starts, and allowed 25 hits, 6 walks or less than 1 WHIP ratio, and gave up 13 ER in the 4 starts, lowering his ERA incremently in each of the 4 starts, throwing more innings in the most recent start, would you all be asking for their release too?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I keep asking this of the Get-Rid-Of-Wakefield crowd and nobody has an answer:Who should be fifth starter the rest of the way?
    Anybody?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I keep asking this of the Get-Rid-Of-Wakefield crowd and nobody has an answer:Who should be fifth starter the rest of the way? Anybody?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]I keep asking this of the Get-Rid-Of-Wakefield crowd and nobody has an answer:Who should be fifth starter the rest of the way? Anybody?

I always think the same thing Lloyd,when I hear posters calling for a player to be  sent down, benched....to be replaced by whom??? on another pitching note, heard on Boston Comcast sports last night, Buckholtz will resume throwing early Septemeber and will be available out of the bullpen for the post season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield??? :
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

is that boulder supposed to represent jd crawford? and is that THEO still trying to get it rolling?
    because if the SOX still had that 140 million, the question of a 5th starter wouldn't even be here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Love Wake, but he's pathetic to watch. Tito is working on running us right out of first place. Watch and weep! I will. And, oh, Miller might be a good idea right now...he's had plently of time to rest and ponder his future. Or go to a 4/5 rotation and let the boys sweat a little. Bring Wake/Miller in every other 5th start and see how it works.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Lloyd, your and JBay's loyalty is admirable.  However, when any alternative to Wake is suggested, it is immediately shot down by the loyalists.  Aceves :  Too valuable in the pen.  Miller: Too wild.   Bowden: Too inexperienced.  Dubront: Just off the D.L.   Atchison: A reliever.  Weiland: Needs more time in Pawtucket.  Jiminez: Would cost too much ( I agree with that one.)  Harden: Too fragile, may break down , even though he could be had for mid level prospect , Anderson.  Millwood: Lost velocity.  And so forth and so on.   Personally , I would give preference to Weiland or Aceves.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield??? : Lloyd, your and JBay's loyalty is admirable.  However, when any alternative to Wake is suggested, it is immediately shot down by the loyalists.  Aceves :  Too valuable in the pen.  Miller: Too wild.   Bowden: Too inexperienced.  Dubront: Just off the D.L.   Atchison: A reliever.  Weiland: Needs more time in Pawtucket.  Jiminez: Would cost too much ( I agree with that one.)  Harden: Too fragile, may break down , even though he could be had for mid level prospect , Anderson.  Millwood: Lost velocity.  And so forth and so on.   Personally , I would give preference to Weiland or Aceves.  
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have a problem with Aceves in the rotation, but there's a reason it hasn't been done. It may be his past health/back issues, not thinking he can go 6 or 7 innings every 5 days. Then you have the issue of who will be the long man out of the pen. They must think Wake is better suited as a starter, Aceves reliever. for better or worse, I think it's the way it will stay for the remainder of the season, barring injury. I also wonder, if so many would have a problem with Wake if he was a conventional pitcher .That said, while  I don't always agree with moves. lineups etc., until they ask me, I support the team thats fielded.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

John Wasdin, Mark Portugal, John Burkett were pitchers who had good stuff and were conventional throwers. Wakefield pitches circles around those guys who were once Sox SP options. The fact is that Wakefield is persecuted due to age, novel pitch, and looks instead of graded on performance and durability. He is doing just fine, and would be involved in more Sox wins if the team's offense was up to par when he pitched. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

However, when any alternative to Wake is suggested, it is immediately shot down by the loyalists.  Aceves :  Too valuable in the pen.  Miller: Too wild.   Bowden: Too inexperienced.  Dubront: Just off the D.L.   Atchison: A reliever.  Weiland: Needs more time in Pawtucket.  Jiminez: Would cost too much ( I agree with that one.)  Harden: Too fragile, may break down , even though he could be had for mid level prospect , Anderson.  Millwood: Lost velocity.  And so forth and so on.   Personally , I would give preference to Weiland or Aceves. 

On the money post, with one exception. The alternatives are never shot down. The shoot from the hip attempts to shoot them down are hollow. Aceves in the pen does not mean Aceves can't be managed to pitch 3 or 4 innings every 5 or 6 days. Miller, Weiland and Doubrant should get the innings, not Wakefield.

If Wakefield had any real performance value he wouldn't be so easy to buy as a FA. He would have some trade value before trade deadlines and over the winters. No team has any interest in Wakefield, and only pretend that they don't like to face him in hopes of the Peter Rabbit plan of "don't throw me in the prior patch or make me face the great Wakefield".

This winter, if the Red Sox don't make a MLB contract offer to Wakefield, not a single team would offer him anything but a minor league contract.

It's all about fan popularity and management's attempt to just keep him around long enough (hiding him from the playoffs, on the bench for stretches like first month of this year, and making the schedule to avoid, beyond a last resort, having him pitch a game against a contender).

Wakefield is an embarrassment to the merit system and opportunity for youth and player development. No one is going to tell me that there aren't young men out there who are capable of tossing 5 plus ERA's for over 2 years.

Everytime Wakefield throws that goofball, there is much higher chance that another baserunner reaches on "phony passed ball scoring", hit batter, wild pitch, and walk. Most pitchers might have walk issues, but Wakefield, like no other, has:

Walk
    Hit batter
    Wild pitch
    Wild pitch scored a "passed ball"

Wakefield is the human launching pad, the human rally starter for the other team. He is the match to the stored gasoline on the other team.

We're being told that it's "art" to watch Wakefield go out there and have the catcher run ragged as Wakefield "keeps the team in the game". In reality, when Wakefield's ERA numbers appear good, his performance is almost never anything but poor. No one gives the opponent more confidence than Wakefield. He's like playing a guy in golf in stroke play and you've been missing cuts for months and you are finally in contention but 4 strokes down to Wakefield with 9 holes to play. He's the guy you know who is going to 3 or 4 putt and just hand it to you.

It's a tired old act, even when Wakefield is "on", which is really never.

Putting him in against a contender or a playoff game is like suicide.

Young pitchers have potential to be really good during a particular start, even if they are erratic. Wakefield's potential is simply old and ugly.
    Hit batter

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield??? : Lloyd, your and JBay's loyalty is admirable.  However, when any alternative to Wake is suggested, it is immediately shot down by the loyalists.  Aceves :  Too valuable in the pen.  Miller: Too wild.   Bowden: Too inexperienced.  Dubront: Just off the D.L.   Atchison: A reliever.  Weiland: Needs more time in Pawtucket.  Jiminez: Would cost too much ( I agree with that one.)  Harden: Too fragile, may break down , even though he could be had for mid level prospect , Anderson.  Millwood: Lost velocity.  And so forth and so on.   Personally , I would give preference to Weiland or Aceves.  
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I consider myself loyal but also realistic. If there were a better alternative, I'd be all for it. I'd rather have Wake in his intended role. But I don't see one, which is why I understand Wakefield being in the rotation.

In his four starts, Aceves has a 5.14 ERA and 13 BBs in 21 IP. Miller's ERA is over 5 and his WHIP 1.915. Doubront is not ready (though I think he has a chance to be good), Milwood is getting shelled in Pawtucket, and Bowden's pitched 11 innings the past month. (I'm discounting Ubaldo and Darden because they play elsewhere).

What baffles me is that so many are complaining about Wakefield when the Sox's biggest problem is the guy with the plus-6 ERA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Lloyd, haven't you heard, he's won 6 of his last 7 starts...He's 6 ERA and over and getting ample Sox support, but he gets a free pass because he isn't 45, he doesn't throw a knuckler, and he makes 82 million so that means the Sox know exactly what they were doing in signing him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

wakey and slackey, sounds like a saturday morning cartoon show. if only that was the case.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield??? : You sadly don't appreciate the art of the pitch. Few have ever mastered it. To win 200 games at his age in the highest level - the toughest division - the worst park for a flyball pitcher - really sad you form such a bias against a pitch you aren't willing to understand.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Good post harness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd, haven't you heard, he's won 6 of his last 7 starts...He's 6 ERA and over and getting ample Sox support, but he gets a free pass because he isn't 45, he doesn't throw a knuckler, and he makes 82 million so that means the Sox know exactly what they were doing in signing him. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    I should read the paper more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It is truly mindboggling, Lloyd. This hate for Wakefield. Truly amazing considering how much he's done for the team, and how much he's contributing just in his last 4 starts alone. He's had horrible, horrible luck. Again, if he was getting bombed, or he walked 6 guys, or he couldn't get past the 4th. But he's throwing more consistent innings in less pitches (his control right now is off the charts fantastic, balls to strikes is ridiculously accurate). You can make a case he's already won a starting job the rest of the season and playoffs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]I am wealthier and not fat and bald. I dont envy Wakefield, who is also a terrible golfer.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to boast about your gold hoard, you awful person.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The lynch mob would be out for Lackey's blood if he was 0-6 in his last 7 starts as we know that 4 of those starts were just not very good. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

the toughest division - the worst park for a flyball pitcher

Good point. Trade Wakefield to the Padres, for a single A pitching prospect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

there you go, softs, now you are using that brain...*abbynormal*

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]there you go, softs, now you are using that brain...*abbynormal*
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    You put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA???