What to do with Wakefield???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: What to do with Wakefield???

I miss Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield???:
    [QUOTE]It is truly mindboggling, Lloyd. This hate for Wakefield. Truly amazing considering how much he's done for the team, and how much he's contributing just in his last 4 starts alone. He's had horrible, horrible luck. Again, if he was getting bombed, or he walked 6 guys, or he couldn't get past the 4th. But he's throwing more consistent innings in less pitches (his control right now is off the charts fantastic, balls to strikes is ridiculously accurate). You can make a case he's already won a starting job the rest of the season and playoffs. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Really? You would hand him the ball in the playoffs to starta game over Bedard, Lackey, or Clay if he returns? Un f'nbelievable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yeah, how bout that, geo, I would hand the ball to him, just not in front of a healthy Clay. Healthy Lackey? or Bedard? Your darn right I would, he did his job. Tell me how Lackey has done his...oh yeah, he's a winner!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If a plan was Bedard goes 5, and that's all I want, then I can see using him. Not for a 6 or 7, which Wakefield can do. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not enamored with lackey but...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]However, when any alternative to Wake is suggested, it is immediately shot down by the loyalists.  Aceves :  Too valuable in the pen.  Miller: Too wild.   Bowden: Too inexperienced.  Dubront: Just off the D.L.   Atchison: A reliever.  Weiland: Needs more time in Pawtucket.  Jiminez: Would cost too much ( I agree with that one.)  Harden: Too fragile, may break down , even though he could be had for mid level prospect , Anderson.  Millwood: Lost velocity.  And so forth and so on.   Personally , I would give preference to Weiland or Aceves.  On the money post, with one exception. The alternatives are never shot down. The shoot from the hip attempts to shoot them down are hollow. Aceves in the pen does not mean Aceves can't be managed to pitch 3 or 4 innings every 5 or 6 days. Miller, Weiland and Doubrant should get the innings, not Wakefield. If Wakefield had any real performance value he wouldn't be so easy to buy as a FA. He would have some trade value before trade deadlines and over the winters. No team has any interest in Wakefield, and only pretend that they don't like to face him in hopes of the Peter Rabbit plan of "don't throw me in the prior patch or make me face the great Wakefield". This winter, if the Red Sox don't make a MLB contract offer to Wakefield, not a single team would offer him anything but a minor league contract. It's all about fan popularity and management's attempt to just keep him around long enough (hiding him from the playoffs, on the bench for stretches like first month of this year, and making the schedule to avoid, beyond a last resort, having him pitch a game against a contender). Wakefield is an embarrassment to the merit system and opportunity for youth and player development. No one is going to tell me that there aren't young men out there who are capable of tossing 5 plus ERA's for over 2 years. Everytime Wakefield throws that goofball, there is much higher chance that another baserunner reaches on "phony passed ball scoring", hit batter, wild pitch, and walk. Most pitchers might have walk issues, but Wakefield, like no other, has: Walk Hit batter Wild pitch Wild pitch scored a "passed ball" Wakefield is the human launching pad, the human rally starter for the other team. He is the match to the stored gasoline on the other team. We're being told that it's "art" to watch Wakefield go out there and have the catcher run ragged as Wakefield "keeps the team in the game". In reality, when Wakefield's ERA numbers appear good, his performance is almost never anything but poor. No one gives the opponent more confidence than Wakefield. He's like playing a guy in golf in stroke play and you've been missing cuts for months and you are finally in contention but 4 strokes down to Wakefield with 9 holes to play. He's the guy you know who is going to 3 or 4 putt and just hand it to you. It's a tired old act, even when Wakefield is "on", which is really never. Putting him in against a contender or a playoff game is like suicide. Young pitchers have potential to be really good during a particular start, even if they are erratic. Wakefield's potential is simply old and ugly. Hit batter
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Completely wrong. Pitching goes for a premium. Lackey is a M.L. 14-game winner who's numbers this year rival Wake's...and he went for 85 mil a couple of years ago.

Any team would take a flier on Wake - especially an N.L. team - because, unlike you, they realize he's facing the best competition in an unbalanced schedule. And his numbers would transfer differently in a lesser league in a pitching venue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If John Lackey threw anything like he did in that 2009 playoff game v. Sox, I would put him out there too. I'm not throwing out guys who have some playoff experience. At the same time, I don't think someone's past performance should negate a pitcher who is throwing well, especially if he's throwing extremely well in the final weeks of a season...For the Record.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Wakefield has been painted so poorly, his playoff numbers been stated so often about his unreliability, you'd think he should have been released 7 years ago. Maybe he should have been released in 1999 too...what a shame for Wake haters. He just keeps coming back and keeps throwing effectively much to the chagrin of dummy Sox fans, who don't see his worth to the team's success.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

btw, I was at that Lackey performance in Anaheim. He threw like a bulldog that night. I wonder where that guy has gone. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]I am wealthier and not fat and bald. I dont envy Wakefield, who is also a terrible golfer.

how much do bag boys make these days?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I really haven't done the reasearch but it seems like Wake has bad games against bad teams. The better hitters in the game are the ones having the worse time with Wake. The Bums are the ones that seem to be killing him... Cue Aaron Boone !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A tweet Monday evening from a Seattle Mariners beat reporter:

Tonight's two starters [Michael] Pineda and [Henderson] Alvarez's combined age (43) is younger than yesterday's Red Sox starter Tim Wakefield (45).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Any team would take a flier on Wake - especially an N.L. team

Flier equals minor league contract. If there was another team willing to give Wakefield a MLB guaranteed contract, the Red Sox wouldn't be able to keep signing the bum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Any team would take a flier on Wake - especially an N.L. team Flier equals minor league contract. If there was another team willing to give Wakefield a MLB guaranteed contract, the Red Sox wouldn't be able to keep signing the bum.

Flier also equals addressing pitching depth. Boston keeps Wake out of the FA market. His allegiance to the city he heavily supports used to be a sticking point with you given UR attitude towards unions and fellow mercenaries.

Why the change?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm curious as to how many rabbits are in his magician's hat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Boston keeps Wake out of the FA market

That isnt possible. There is no FA market for Wakefield. A FA market is not a function of being "FA for sale". 

Wakefield is all about execuses to try and cover for silly baseball longevity record attempts. One of baseball business sideshows that is an insult to the integrity of the competition. Akin to putting a player in a wheelchair to set some cumaltive record.

If Wakefield can stand up long enough for these two silly asterisk win Interstate mile posts, his Boston management purporse will end.

If there was a FA market for Wakefield, no loyalty would manifest. This is the same gift roster spot who had the audacity to claim he would consider Tampa if his role was changed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Boston keeps Wake out of the FA market That isnt possible. There is no FA market for Wakefield. A FA market is not a function of being "FA for sale".  Wakefield is all about execuses to try and cover for silly baseball longevity record attempts. One of baseball business sideshows that is an insult to the integrity of the competition. Akin to putting a player in a wheelchair to set some cumaltive record. If Wakefield can stand up long enough for these two silly asterisk win Interstate mile posts, his Boston management purporse will end. If there was a FA market for Wakefield, no loyalty would manifest. This is the same gift roster spot who had the audacity to claim he would consider Tampa if his role was changed.

Wake has never hit the open market. So, how do you know one would not exist if he did?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Same way all markets work. Same way people buy and sell futures and appraisors research markets and set FMAV. Not any FA MLB contract market for a 45 year old recent back surgery 5 plus ERA over 2 plus years. Wakefield has been nursed just to get the near 5 plus ERA he has. First month or more he was a mop bucket that didnt mop much. After that, he's been hidden by team and time nursing. No team is going to guarantee a MLB contract for what Wakefield work capability record is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]I miss Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

yeah, that was a great comedy--YOUNG FRANKINEPSTEIN.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I authored Inesptein and trademarked it. But you are free to use it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Multiple articles were written about how Wake's 4 million contract extensions 2, 3 and 4 years back were talked about around the league as astounding bargains and GM's were anonomously quoted as saying they would give him twice that to be there 3 or 4 starter had he hit the open market.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wakefield has been nursed just to get the near 5 plus ERA he has. First month or more he was a mop bucket that didnt mop much. After that, he's been hidden by team and time nursing.

You keep spouting the same lies. No matter how many times you repeat it, it is still a lie.

Since Wake has become a regular starter on May 22nd...

He has not missed one start (12 straight. You said he'd be lucky to last 4).
    He has not had a start pushed back other than by normal team days off.
    He has more GSs since May 22nd than any other Sox starter.
    He has more IP since May 22nd than any other Sox pitcher.

Stop the lies and misinformation. He is not being "nursed". Try looking up the data before you spew venom. Almost every "fact" or position you have stated about Wake has been proven wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, other than having some fun jabbing play with the guy, don't respond to the guy's mayhem on the subject of Tim Wakefield. However, I think you should keep responding to pretty much every other naysayer, who use myths and non-facts to distort Tim's actual performance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yhe thing is danny, the clown repeats his mantra so often, people do start to believe it and repeat it.

softy's not the only one who thinks Wake has poor control issues.
      He uses WPs an PBs to "prove" his point.
      He neglects to notice Wake is best BB/9  Sox starter ('10-'11).

softy's not the only one who thinks his age correlates to his decline.
      He uses only ERA since mid 2009 (the time of Wake's injury).
      He neglects the fact that Wake's best 2 1/2 years were from '07-mid'09.
      He neglects to recognize that he was ages 41-43 thos years.
      His WHIP and QS% have very good even after the injury.
      Almost every season after "normal prime" have been better than his
           average career season.

softy wants everyone to believe that Wake is the only guy in MLB who has a 5.00+ ERA from mid 2009-2011, He challenged me to find one guy who had over 15 starts and a 5.00+ ERA in that time frame. People believe his rants. Burrito worships at his alter of hate and shame.
      He never even responded when I found 33 starters that met the criteria.
      He ignores that that is about an average of one per team.
      He ignored when I took it a step further and showed how most recent
        teams who have won the WS, had a starter or 2 with a 5.00+ ERA.

softy claims people are stealing bases at will off Wake. People believe him. It make sense, right? Afterall, he throws a flutterball.
       He ignored the fact that the opponents have the worst SB% of Wake
         among all Sox starters. (5 SBs in 11 attempts)

I don't mind proving the clown wrong everyday. Maybe it will keep others from drinking hid poisonous Kool-Aid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

well, i'm finding more fans are drinking the kool-aid that's for sure. And believe me, the very next time Wakefield has a bad start, and it's probably going to happen soon (I hope not)....I guarantee a flood-storm of posts from a lot of posters who are reasonably intelligent, but will show their ignorance in crying about Wakefield's age, pitch, sense of entitlement, the win milestone chase, etc.