What to do with Wakefield???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What to do with Wakefield???

softy learned from a crafty old coot: Karl Rove.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You've got to speak his language.
    Wake carries a 4.40 starter ERA into the A.L. East - pitching in Fenway.
    In a year with two starters down, that's huge.
    Softy does admire depth (Hall) and low cost. So, there's no reason not to appreciate what Wake has done this year.

Softy also knows that using Wake's age and/or physique puts him in the same boat of bigotry. He can no longer point fingers at Wake without coming up short himself.

Thus the comic relief and inadequate research...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Wakefield???:
    [QUOTE]You've got to speak his language. Wake carries a 4.40 starter ERA into the A.L. East - pitching in Fenway. In a year with two starters down, that's huge. Softy does admire depth (Hall) and low cost. So, there's no reason not to appreciate what Wake has done this year. Softy also knows that using Wake's age and/or physique puts him in the same boat of bigotry. He can no longer point fingers at Wake without coming up short himself. Thus the comic relief and inadequate research...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

softy wants everyone to believe that Wake is the only guy in MLB who has a 5.00+ ERA from mid 2009-2011, He challenged me to find one guy who had over 15 starts and a 5.00+ ERA in that time frame.

He never even responded when I found 33 starters that met the criteria.

The coward loves to hide from facts and cherry pick pointless aspects of Wake's game that are overshadowed by many, MANY good qualities and simple reality (like how his iss ERA better than 33 other 4-5 starters 09-11).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

GM's were anonomously quoted as saying they would give him twice that

Was that your source for Red Sox being favorites for Tex? Anonymous quotes means no basis.

Any GM who would really give him "twice that" would have the 45 year old fat good ole boy. Unfortunately, his 5 plus ERA for over 2 years is still taking a roster space.

I like Wakefield, the person. Unlike Cameron, Wakefield is one of those guys who will go out of his way to sign all the autograph requests. He's worked with habitat for the poor and helpless against Big Oil. He's joined Warren Buffet and gifted 80% of his wealth to pay down the debt caused by needless wars.

What I don't like about Wakefield is he and his 5 plus ERA for 2 plus years stinks. At one time, Wakefield was in HOF form. But mortals decay with age, even with API branded HGH. Wakefield needs to retire and be proud of what he once was. Charlie Hough should serve as his reminder that it's over. Chasing records is not a virtue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's one of your more honest posts.
    Wake's 4.40 starter ERA this year and innings have been necessary.
    Team ERA in Fenway is 4.23 (about what it normally is over the last 7-8 years).

Wake's 1.214 home WHIP is well below staff Fenway average (1.352).
    You argument just doesn't hold up this year. Age has less relevance with knuckle-ballers. Lolish/Wood/Wells are proof of how weight can minimally affect pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If anyone else had posted the Wake -Cam comparison, he'd have called us racist.

He refuses to acknowledge that maybe Wake'd mid-2009 to 2010 numbers were maybe injury-related, after all the guy just had back surgery. He refuses to acknowledge that Wake looks better this year. His sample size is now large enough to see improvement. He is not limping and "flopping" anymore. He is not "wild", he is not "walking everyone", teams are not" running wild on him", he is not being "nursed", and he is not the only pitcher "allowed to stay on a MLB roster with a 5.00+ ERA over 2 years.

I don't see any honesty at all, harness. It's about as genuine as him saying Mikey was his favorite player. He's a fraud inside and out, up and down, through and through.

Don't even take a tiny sip of his poisonous Kool-Aid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

GO AHEAD, BOSTON !!! PITCH WAKEFIELD EVERY 5TH START AND
    SEE THE WILD CARD RECEDE IN THE DISTANCE. I THOROUGHLY
    AGREE WITH THE POSTER RED SOX PRIDE AND AL34. WAKE, AT
    HIS AGE IS KILLING THE TEAM. HE PUTS THE TEAM IN THE
    TOILET BY THE 5TH OR 6TH INNING, AND HIS PROPENSITY FOR
    PASSED BALLS AND WILD PITCHES PUTS THE TEAM AT RISK
    IN CLOSE GAMES. GOOD HITTERS WILL TIME HIS KNUCKLER
    AND IN THE HOT WEATHER OF AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER, HE
    WILL BE LESS EFFECTIVE. I DON'T CARE IF HE GETS 200, IF
    HE KILLS THE TEAM. THE OFFENSE, WHICH IS HURTING NOW,
    WITH ORTIZ AND YOUK OUT, CANNOT PLAY FROM BEHIND LIKE
    IT FORMERLY DID.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What to do with Wakefield???:
    [QUOTE]Before I make my suggestion, let me say I’ve always liked Wakefield & still do.  In fact, as a 70’s senior, I tend to root for ALL older athletes.  However, as they say, "Business, is Business”.  He’s tried now 4-5 times to win # 200.   As a good gesture, I would not pitch him against a low era pitcher but one from whom we can be expected to hit & give Wake at least 5 runs so that he has a good chance to win # 200.  Then,  either retire him or let him do some relief for a couple of innings.  I believe he can fool teams the first time around but good hitters figure him out and his slow sinking balls can come across as big as a softball the 2nd or 3rd time around.  Let’s not forget that the “300 club” is among the highest accomplishments a starting pitcher can achieve and only 25 have done it I believe. Some retired  with exactly 300 & a few others right after. It seems that this goal of 200 is a big plum for Wake, the Red Sox & the Fans so let it be and then, let him retire.
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

Wakefield fate depends on how highly Theo feels about Miller, Doubront etc.  I can also tell you after watching Matt Barnes pitch for UConn a few times he is better than Renaudo.  Barnes can hit about 97 but normally keeps his fastball around 93/94.  He also has three good pitches so I expect a lot from this kid in our future rotation.

Great move drafting him as long as we allow him time to fully develop.

Sections
Shortcuts