What type of manager do you like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

What type of manager do you like?

Tempers are getting short around baseball.

After another meltdown by his bullpen, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen had one of his standard nutty press conference then stormed out early.

"I don't have any closer. I don't," he said. "You are just scratching your head and second-guess yourself what you are doing wrong, bringing people to the mound with a three-run lead ... and we can't hold the lead. That's not a good sign."

In New York, Mets manager Terry Collins, a tightly wound sort, held a team meeting after a 5-4 loss to the Rockies and ripped his players.

"It's time to start making pitches. It's time to start getting the big two-out hit," Collins said. "Now is the time. We've been in every game and we've got to start winning them. We're one pitch away and we're one swing away from being 9-2, and we're not. But the next 11 we need to be 9-2. We need to get it going and do the things we haven't done so far."

The White Sox are 7-5 and the Mets 4-7.

Boo hoo hoo.

Terry Francona has held it together pretty well so far and do not expect that to change. The 2-9 Red Sox have a bunch of veteran players and ripping them in the press or in a meeting likely would not accomplish much other than to give guys like me something to write about.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Re: What type of manager do you like?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What type of manager do you like?:
    [QUOTE]
    Posted by ChrisHouse[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

the way i understand it, tito's not allowed to get too upset or he may die.
    it's not really healthy for him to even argue with an umpire.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Well it would be nice if he even gave the appearance of somebody who gave a crap !! I know he's passionate about Green Tea and Sunflower Seeds but that seems just about it. In like the fifth game of the season, with Your team getting slaughtered in the first 4, a runner who was CLEARLY SAFE at second is Called out, would have been a Good time to get ballastic with the Umpires. Terry trotted in and out bearly noticable to the Umps. Que Joe Madden... In the last game against the White Sox, the game Before The Red Sox Massacre, Joe Goes Ballastic and makes national sports shows about a Play at first where His runner was CLEARLY OUT. The next day the Rays score 16 runs or about 50% of the runs they have scored in thier first 9 games, Go Figure !! Maybe the Players, who most of you think adore Francona, would play a little harder if they knew the manager had their back !! Maybe not but, I would just like to see somebody get a little aggravated over the poor beginning other then the sports writers !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

tito!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE] Well it would be nice if he even gave the appearance of somebody who gave a crap !! I know he's passionate about Green Tea and Sunflower Seeds but that seems just about it. In like the fifth game of the season, with Your team getting slaughtered in the first 4, a runner who was CLEARLY SAFE at second is Called out, would have been a Good time to get ballastic with the Umpires. Terry trotted in and out bearly noticable to the Umps. Que Joe Madden... In the last game against the White Sox, the game Before The Red Sox Massacre, Joe Goes Ballastic and makes national sports shows about a Play at first where His runner was CLEARLY OUT. The next day the Rays score 16 runs or about 50% of the runs they have scored in thier first 9 games, Go Figure !! Maybe the Players, who most of you think adore Francona, would play a little harder if they knew the manager had their back !! Maybe not but, I would just like to see somebody get a little aggravated over the poor beginning other then the sports writers !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

I think Dice-K's pitching had more to do with the Rays' offensive outburst, rather than Maddon blowing a gasket.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Tito or

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Earl Weaver once told a little-used reliever to warm up in a very important game while Jim Palmer was on the hill.

The reliever asked Weaver why he was going to bring him in to pitch, since Earl had hardly used him all year.

Earl Weaver said, "I'm not going to bring you into the game now either, I just want Palmer to look over his shoulder and see someone warming up , 'cause I know he doesn't want to come out of the game."

Earl Weaver is the type of manager I would want. He understood the game and the psychology of the game. He knew that without solid starting pitching , you are sunk before your boat sails.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

how about a manager that wins and is liked by the players.  sounds like Francona doesn't it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

A leader.
    Someone who is not afraid to challenge umpires; someone who will chew out his players when they loaf or make a mental mistake; someone with some field strategy who is not afraid to put on the bunt or hit and run when warranted. Someone who doesn't throw in the towel until the last out is made.
    Not the milquetoast wallflower we have.
    The inmates run the asylum in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Earl Weaver once told a little-used reliever to warm up in a very important game while Jim Palmer was on the hill. The reliever asked Weaver why he was going to bring him in to pitch, since Earl had hardly used him all year. Earl Weaver said, "I'm not going to bring you into the game now either, I just want Palmer to look over his shoulder and see someone warming up , 'cause I know he doesn't want to come out of the game." Earl Weaver is the type of manager I would want. He understood the game and the psychology of the game. He knew that without solid starting pitching , you are sunk before your boat sails.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zill, no doubt Earl was one the very best managers of all time.  But, I would have to say that probably all managers, past and present, know that without solid starting pitching, you are sunk before your boat sails.  You can psychologize all you want, but, if you can't get blood from a rock.  Weaver, when he was most succesful, had perhaps the best top to bottom rotation of all time.  Managers have to work with what they have.  Right now Tito has two solid guys, a hit or miss Beckett, a basket case in Matsuzaka (admittedly, Francona has had a big hand in weaving that basket) and a guy with the kind of stuff that would have the famous Mendoza licking his chops in John Lackey.  Palmer/Dobson/McNally/Cuellar this aint.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Agree Spaceman.  Much as we Sox fans like to believe and argue to the world - we do not have anything close to the best starting staff in baseball.  Lester is at the very top of the elite but after that it is all downhill.  Buch is a 2nd year phenom trying to right his own ship after a lousy start this year and the other three are not worth mentioning except that Beckett did get on his horse against the Yankees the other night.

Sadly at the moment the Yankee starter that we have almost no respect for at all has more wins than our entire pitching staff!

This team looks lost, they play like losers and they bring no attitude at all to the field.  Perhaps we do need a general commanding who will take no prisoners and not make excuses for overpaid players who are underperforming and one who will stand up to umpires when the situation dictates.  Now where do we find this genius who is without a job - most likely from being fired and one who wears credentials that exceed those of our current manager?

The flip side of the coin is that Francona can't execute pitches, he can't step up to the plate and hit - all he can do is put out the lineup he seems to be drawing out of a hat each day and hope they perform the way they are being paid to perform.

An 8-10 game winning streak would go a long way toward eliminating topics like this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What type of manager do you like? : I think Dice-K's pitching had more to do with the Rays' offensive outburst, rather than Maddon blowing a gasket.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

No doubt Dice threw a stinker !! The problem is deeper then Dice-K. it's the whole team and their collective sleepwalking through April the past two seasons !! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Any mamgers that wins two WS and if he happens to have a name like "Sweet Lou" even better. Thats the best nickname ever. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Arguabley the best manager in the game today is Joe Maddon he owns Tito....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

Just posted on another thread something appropriate to this one.

Question: In terms of winning percentage, which former Red Sox manager does Tito most resemble?

Answer: Don "The Gerbil" Zimmer.

Tito ('04-'10): 654W-480L  .576 winning %
    Zimmer ('76-partial-80-partial): 411W-305L  .574 winning %

I'm no great fan of the Gerbil, but if the Wild Card rules were in effect, his team would have made the playoffs in '77 and '78 (and there would have been no game 163 v. NYY) and would have had a fightin' chance in '79 (91-69).

With no Wild Card, Tito would not have been in the playoffs in '04 (3 games out) would have had to play game 163 vs. NYY in '05, missed the playoffs in '06 (they did miss them anyway), Won the division in '07, missed the playoffs in '08 (2 games out), missed the playoffs in '09 (8 games out), and missed the playoffs in '10 (7 games out).

Under the old rules, the Sox would have made the playoffs once, in '07, under Tito, and would have had to play a one-game playoff against the NYY in '05. Granted Zim didn't reach the playoffs, but he came *%&*& close.

But for the grace of God and Bud Selig, Tito and the Gerbil would all too often be mentioned in the same sentence(s) as 95+ win per season managers, with little to show for it in the end.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

you can usually break a team down into three groups:

Big Market Team (huge egos)

Mid-market team (Mixed)

Small-market (youngsters with a few oldies sprinkled in.

Each combination of players probably requires different types of managers. So a manager like Tito or Torre may not work for kid teams. Put Maddon on the Yanks or Sox and that might blow up the other way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

real good post "thehick".  Very interesting perspective.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]But for the grace of God and Bud Selig, Tito and the Gerbil would all too often be mentioned in the same sentence(s) as 95+ win per season managers, with little to show for it in the end.
    Posted by thehick[/QUOTE]

Good fortune and bad fortune have certainly played their parts in the history of Red Sox managers.  Joe Cronin, Darrell Johnson, Zimmer, Johnny Mac and Grady all lost one-run games at the worst possible time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbosoxfaninny. Show bigbosoxfaninny's posts

The kind that are even tempered, don't call out their players in public, and don't embarass themselves or their orgranization.

I like a manager who realizes this isn't the NFL; baseball is a 162 game season. There are times I feel  Francona seems too complacent. He isn't "rah" "rah" or in your face. I am yelling at the TV and  wondering... why is Francona just sitting there? (Uhmm maybe because Francona isn't unstable, lol)

Is he perfect? No, but then again who is? 

I don't think it's Francona's fault that Youkilis, Crawford, and Ellsbury are batting under .200, does anyone out there blame Francona? Should he personally go to the plate and pinch hit?

Or is the solution that he should "chew them out?" What is he supposed to say? I know you popped out to third on purpose now stop it!

I don't think it's Francona's fault that the pitching has been horrible. He manages what has been handed to him. Should Francona start tonight's game? Then we could blame him in the event of a loss.

Maybe he could yell at the starting pitcher before the game. Maybe he could go to press this afternoon and say the guy we have going tonight can't get anyone out but I yelled at him so that should take care of that! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I do and for good reason. He is weak on the field and his team is weak now. The sox need a change and replacing him now will be easier than 1/2 way through the season when it will be over. People have to understand this is a business and he has worn out his welcome. Just let the emotions go and see it for what it is.
    [QUOTE]The kind that are even tempered, don't call out their players in public, and don't embarass themselves or their orgranization. I like a manager who realizes this isn't the NFL; baseball is a 162 game season. There are times I feel  Francona seems too complacent. He isn't "rah" "rah" or in your face. I am yelling at the TV and  wondering... why is Francona just sitting there? (Uhmm maybe because Francona isn't unstable, lol) Is he perfect? No, but then again who is?  I don't think it's Francona's fault that Youkilis, Crawford, and Ellsbury are batting under .200, does anyone out there blame Francona? Should he personally go to the plate and pinch hit? Or is the solution that he should "chew them out?" What is he supposed to say? I know you popped out to third on purpose now stop it! I don't think it's Francona's fault that the pitching has been horrible. He manages what has been handed to him. Should Francona start tonight's game? Then we could blame him in the event of a loss. Maybe he could yell at the starting pitcher before the game. Maybe he could go to press this afternoon and say the guy we have going tonight can't get anyone out but I yelled at him so that should take care of that!     
    Posted by bigbosoxfaninny[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

redsox-11, a quick question for you........what does it mean to be "weak on the field"?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Blaming the manager is always the easiest thing to do and sadly when things go wrong long enough it is easier for a FO to fire the manager than it is to fire the players.

It sometimes surprises me how much more credibility Belichick has in the market than Tito, when Tito has only one fewer championships than Bill in three fewer seasons. But then again there certainly was a lot of whining about Belichick and Brady after the Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs this year.

So it is no surprise that a marketplace that questions the best football coach of his generation would find fault with the best RS manager in the modern era.

From what I can tell Francona's temperament is well suited to both the game and the market his team plays in. His players most years over 162 games give us what we should expect and that includes last season when the RS were devastated by injury. When he has the horses in the bullpen he uses them well, when he doesn't have many he cloaks it as well as can be expected. He allows his players to play through slumps and is more often rewarded for his patience (Ortiz - Pedroia) than betrayed by it (Bellhorn 05). 

But more obvious than these individual examples are the seasons and post seasons where the more fiery manager may have railed on his players, Francona's calm was reflected by his players and rewarded with comeback wins against long odds.

But it easier to find someone to blame in the face of such a slow start rather than to except that baseball can at moments be a humbling game and other moments one where poorly pitched games are bailed out by balls finding grass in bunches.

Just my take 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think it's horses for courses to a large degree i.e. Secretariat wasn't a steeplechaser (or a mudder!).

I wouldn't let KC Jones or Joe Torre anywhere near a young, inexperienced team that needed lots of game strategy and a kick on the bum sometimes....but they were just the right manager for just team at just the right time to win.

I think Fitch's screaming started failing when the core of the team got sick of being .....screamed at.  Could KC have won with the '81 Celts? Dunno, but I think they needed a Fitch more than a KC.

Sections
Shortcuts