What was the best team of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

What was the best team of all time?

Buster Olney series on baseball's cream of the crop today argued that the 1998 Yankees were the best team of all time.  The 1975 or 1976 Reds, the 1970 Orioles, the 1995 Indians and the 1927 or 1939 Yanks have all been crowned by various pundits prior to this.  What about the 2004 Red Sox and their phenomenal comeback against the Yanks in the ALCS.  Where do they fit in? What do people think .....?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/olney_buster/id/8880086/1998-new-york-yankees-top-list-top-10-teams-all-time-mlb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: What was the best team of all time?

Gotta be the 1927 Yankees. The original murderer's row Ruth, Gehrig, Meusel and Lazzeri. Although Papi and Manny in 2004 weren't bad either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The 1998 NY Yankees were an amazing team with great chemistry.  

The 1993 Toronto Blue Jays were amazing too.  They had speed (e.g. Devon White and Roberto Alomar), Power (e.g. Winfield and Carter), pitching (e.g. Stewart, Morris, Henke) and hitting (e.g. Olerud, Molitor and Alomar).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

'27 Yanks, without a doubt, IMO. 

I personally think the '75 Red Sox were a better team than the 2004 Sox.  Except for a very bad umpire call, and no instant replay or reconsidering of decisions, they very well might have been the team to reverse the curse.  And they did all that with one of their star hitters on the sidelines and no ace pitcher the caliber of Pedro!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I think I know who the best "excuse me" troll is.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

null

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about the O's and all those 20 game winners?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If the 1970 O's (I think that was the year) had had one more superstar hitter, I'd have to say they rankfavorably to any of the great Yankees teams.  Thier defense and pitching were among the all-time best, for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

How about the O's and all those 20 game winners?

The '71 team had 4 20 game winners but lost the Series to Pittsburgh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Since divisional play started in 1969, I think there have only been 3 teams who dominated right from the start of the season and through the playoffs: the 1976 Reds, the 1984 Tigers and some team in 1998.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

1997 Boston Red Sox
    Most Games by Position

C   Scott Hatteberg (106) 1B   Mo Vaughn (131) 2B   Jeff Frye (80) 3B   Tim Naehring (68) SS   Nomar Garciaparra (153) LF   Wil Cordero (137) CF   Darren Bragg (118) RF   Troy O'Leary (119) DH   Reggie Jefferson (119)     SP   Steve Avery SP   Tom Gordon SP   Aaron Sele SP   Jeff Suppan SP   Tim Wakefield     RP   Mark Brandenburg RP   Jim Corsi RP   Vaughn Eshelman RP   Chris Hammond RP   Butch Henry RP   Joe Hudson RP   Kerry Lacy RP   Ron Mahay RP   John Wasdin CL   Heathcliff Slocumb

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Since divisional play started in 1969, I think there have only been 3 teams who dominated right from the start of the season and through the playoffs: the 1976 Reds, the 1984 Tigers and some team in 1998.

that team was Usain Bolt with a 10 meter headstart :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the swinging A's of the early 70s had it all....but that 27 yankees probably

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

2001 Seattle Mariners won 116 games so they're in the conversation. Unless the qualifier is that won a championship...

The Best team pre-world war II the 27 Yankees

The Best team that won it all in back to back seasons; Hard to pick against the Big Red Machine and the A's of the early 70's were also pretty stout...

The Best team of the steriod ERA 1998 Yankees

The Best team that never won it during the striod ERA the 1995 Cleveland Indians...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Not sure why the 1963 Dodgers get so little love.....Koufax, Drysdale and company were largely unhittable and routed a not-too-shabby Yankees team...They might not be number one, but I think they should be rated higher than they are....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

1909-Pirates 110-W  42-L  Honus Wagner.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If we're going to cherry pick; how's this:

Between 1927 and 1953, the Yankees were in 15 WS, and lost only once, in wartime, to the 1942 Cardinals; featuring a rookie by the name of Stan Musial. Amazing when you consider the WS is considered largely a crapshoot.

Or this: Between 1921 & 1964, the Yankees won 20 WS, & 29 Pennants. Between '23 and '62, it was 20 out of 25.

Then the bottom fell out.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The best w/l might have been the '06 Cubs