What was the best team of all time?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: What was the best team of all time?

I would say the 98 Yankees. But I will throw another team in the mix, the 89 A's. They averaged 102 wins between 88-90. Plenty of super stars, even Carny Lansford was still hitting. Strong staff. Great closer. Great manager.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

2011 Red Sox obviously!!!!

Or did you miss all that hype?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

'54 Indians have been overlooked. No one mentioned the '61 NYY either, or the '86 NYM. I believe Sea won 116 games about a decade ago ('00?), then lost in the PS

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

1902 Pittsburgh Pirates 103-36 .741

1906 Chicago Cubs 116-36 .763

1909 Pittsburgh Pirates 110-42 .724

1927 New York Yankees 110-44 .714

1929 Philadelphia Athletics 104-46 .693

1931 Philadelphia Athletics 107-45 .704

1939 New York Yankees 106-45 .702

1942 St. Louis Cardinals 106-48 .688

1954 Cleveland Indians 111-43 .721

1961 New York Yankees 109-53 .673

1969 Baltimore Orioles 109-53 .673

1970 Baltimore Orioles 108-54 .667

1975 Cincinnati Reds 108-54 .667

1984 Detroit Tigers 104-58 .642

1986 New York Mets 108-54 .667

1998 New York Yankees 114-48 .704

2001 Seattle Mariners 116-46 .716

Nice Thanks........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Amazing that the '39 NYY lost Gehrig to illness, yet were still world beaters

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

Not sure why the 1963 Dodgers get so little love.....Koufax, Drysdale and company were largely unhittable and routed a not-too-shabby Yankees team...They might not be number one, but I think they should be rated higher than they are....

Hardly a "rout" -5-2, 4-1, 1-0, 2-1. Pitching at it's finest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

Not sure why the 1963 Dodgers get so little love.....Koufax, Drysdale and company were largely unhittable and routed a not-too-shabby Yankees team...They might not be number one, but I think they should be rated higher than they are....

NYY were heavily favored in that series.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Still not a "rout"...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

Still not a "rout"...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

One cannot overlook the '75-'76 Reds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The best Red Sox team I've seen was the 1978 team.  Which is why that year has always been more painful for me than 1986 or 2003.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Absolutely, prknsdnld. "Rout" is definitely misleading given how few runs were scored...What I was trying to convey was just how dominant the Dodgers pitching was.....As NHsteven mentioned, the Yanks were heavy faves and yet they went so quietly into that good night....A bit like the 2012 Yankee Hollow Men, whose ALCS world ended not with a bang but a whimper...The difference, of course, is that after Verlander, the Bengals pitching staff would have been no match for the 1963 Dodgers starting staff....Although I do wonder what a sophisticated computer program, trying to account for all the period-related variables, would reveal after 100's of simulations matching up Koufax against Verlander....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If we're going to cherry pick; how's this:

Between 1927 and 1953, the Yankees were in 15 WS, and lost only once, in wartime, to the 1942 Cardinals; featuring a rookie by the name of Stan Musial. Amazing when you consider the WS is considered largely a crapshoot.

Or this: Between 1921 & 1964, the Yankees won 20 WS, & 29 Pennants. Between '23 and '62, it was 20 out of 25.

Then the bottom fell out.

In 1965 they implemented the first year player draft...due to the Yankees and the other big market clubs from using their wealth to sign most of the best talent in the nation and it took until the advent of free agency for the big market clubs to be able to once again use those resources to gain an advantage. Which is also why they've implemented revenue sharing and now the slotting system. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In 1965 they implemented the first year player draft...due to the Yankees and the other big market clubs from using their wealth to sign most of the best talent in the nation and it took until the advent of free agency for the big market clubs to be able to once again use those resources to gain an advantage. Which is also why they've implemented revenue sharing and now the slotting system. 

Then how come none of the other big market clubs went on a run half as successful as the Yankees run?

[/QUOTE]

Because they we're the only big market club that spent lavishly on draft picks out bidding almost every team. It was not meant to disparage what they've accomplished, merely to point out why they dominated the game for as long as they did And why they struggled thereafter sustaining that success. I have always stated on numerous occasions that the Yankees not only have the resources, but that they also have one of the best infrastructures in the game to continue to be among the best teams....200 million in payroll doesn't hurt, nor did their ability to outbid teams for top international talents and paying overslot for first year players. Since the advent of free  agency, no team could compete with them if the player was open to going to the Yankees. Texiera, signed because the Yankees added a couple of million to the AAV and another year....so too did Burnett. before revenue sharing, the Yankees pretty much had the pick of the litter. 

• in the 70's they signed Jackon & Catchfish Hunter both of whom led them to World Series.
    • The late nineties teams were bolstered by them acquiring contracts of players that given the pre revenue sharing economics of the game might otherwise have stayed with their original teams.
    • in 2009 it was Sabathia, Burnett and Texiera...

So while none of those moves guarantee a championship when you have the resources the Yankees have and competent baseball minds running the organization it's a tough combination...if they implented the same economics that exist in the NFL back in the 1930 where team all shared revenues and team were restricted by a salary cap and a slotting system for the draft. While they would have still been successful. I doubt they would have won as many championships As they did pre-1965

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Because they we're the only big market club that spent lavishly on draft picks out bidding almost every team. It was not meant to disparage what they've accomplished, merely to point out why they dominated the game for as long as they did And why they struggled thereafter sustaining that success. I have always stated on numerous occasions that the Yankees not only have the resources, but that they also have one of the best infrastructures in the game to continue to be among the best teams....200 million in payroll doesn't hurt, nor did their ability to outbid teams for top international talents and paying overslot for first year players. Since the advent of free  agency, no team could compete with them if the player was open to going to the Yankees. Texiera, signed because the Yankees added a couple of million to the AAV and another year....so too did Burnett. before revenue sharing, the Yankees pretty much had the pick of the litter. 

• in the 70's they signed Jackon & Catchfish Hunter both of whom led them to World Series.
    • The late nineties teams were bolstered by them acquiring contracts of players that given the pre revenue sharing economics of the game might otherwise have stayed with their original teams.
    • in 2009 it was Sabathia, Burnett and Texiera...

So while none of those moves guarantee a championship when you have the resources the Yankees have and competent baseball minds running the organization it's a tough combination...if they implented the same economics that exist in the NFL back in the 1930 where team all shared revenues and team were restricted by a salary cap and a slotting system for the draft. While they would have still been successful. I doubt they would have won as many championships As they did pre-1965

There were other teams that had the money to spend, wonder why they didn't?

Also, with the expanding amount of teams and more recently the addition of more playoff teams has had an impact.

For much of their early success, they just had to have the best record in the AL and they were in the WS. With the current playoff format a team now has to go through 3 rounds to get to the WS, making it much more of a crapshoot.

[/QUOTE]

In fact many of them have and that's why the Yankees have only won once in the past decade. No team has been able to match them dollar for dollar. Which is why they've continued to be among the best, deepest teams in the game. This season the Dodgers will supplant the Yankees as the highest payroll in the game for the first time in more than a decade. A decade where the Yankees outspent the next closet team by more than an average of 50M per season. 

I agree that the addition of the playoff system and the subsequent addition of the wildcard has played a role too. Bottom line, make no mistake about it the implementation of Revenue sharing and the recent changes to the first year player draft was all about competitive balance. Time will tell how the changes in the slotting system impact the major markets more important though is the inclusion of the international free agents..a pool that the Yankees were among the best at recognizing and signing to bolster their organizational depth. a resource that allowed them to sign Major League free agents without having to weigh the loss of first year player draft picks. The landscape continues to change in the interest of ensuring the financial health of all of the franchises...Which might well be the single greatest achievement of Bud Selig...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The stupid part about the new system is that is in the situation that the Yankees are presently in, once they get under the cap for one year, the tax rate is reset and they will be able to overspend again.

The tax rate is reset, but there's also a new penalty which has to do with forfeiting revenue-sharing money. and apparently that can be a hefty penalty in itself.  I think it's this new penalty that really motivated Hal to get the Yanks under the $189 million next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

'27 Yanks, without a doubt, IMO. 

I personally think the '75 Red Sox were a better team than the 2004 Sox.  Except for a very bad umpire call, and no instant replay or reconsidering of decisions, they very well might have been the team to reverse the curse.  And they did all that with one of their star hitters on the sidelines and no ace pitcher the caliber of Pedro!!!

I think the 2007 were the best Red Sox team ever. Francona said 2008 was better but it just didn't work out in the end.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.