What was the most exciting time you've ever experienced in Fenway Park?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: What was the most exciting time you've ever experienced in Fenway Park?

In 1982, me and my boys drove up from NJ to see the Sox play the Tigers.  Wade Boggs hit his 1st ML homerun in the bottom of the 11th inning and the Sox won the game.  It was bedlam! One of my friends was not happy because he is a Tigers fan!  High 5's all around...except for him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

My most exciting time came last year.  Much to my sadness, I hadn't been able to catch a game at Fenway for 10 years due to my geographical locationing and crazy life in general.  And I had no expectation that I would be at a game at Fenway last year either.  But, had been on some business in toronto and Mrs. Space and myself flew into Logan to meet up with her parents, and we were to drive out to the Cape for a little Summer Vacation.  Got into Logan at about 5.  And we start driving.  Only, I noticed that we weren't going the right way to get to the Cape.  I asked where we were going .. and Mrs. Space's mom asked me "If there is anywhere in the world you would want to be right now, where would it be?"  And my face lit up as i realized where we were going.  Surprise tickets to the Sox!!!!  Manny's return no less!!!  Just awesome.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  I cried as we settled into our seats, just looking out at the whole scene.  Of course, my emotions were pitched to this sappiness when we first entered by the right field gate and, of all the beautiful additions to the park since the last time I had set foot there, I saw the most beautiful new addition of them all:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Patriots Day Game (vs. Seattle) 2006. The Sox kept coming back and falling behind. My first time at Fenway since I moved away in 1970. Sox down by 1 in the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs. Youk beat out a grounder to second (with a little help from the 1st base ump) to keep the inning alive. Mark Loretta hit a 2run walk-off homer. All in all a great game, and very enjoyable after 36 years away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

nice.....amazing what they've done to the park isnt it space? looks like its always been that way.  i'm looking forward to going this season to see the final additions of the HD screens....BTW, Mrs Space sounds like a keeper.....can't beat the cape...after fenway:))

I was at the game July 25, 2004 when V-TEK smashed his glove into ARods face:) Sox won the game and always felt it turned the sox season around; they went on a tear in august.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What was the most exciting time you've ever experienced in Fenway Park?:
    [QUOTE]nice.....amazing what they've done to the park isnt it space? looks like its always been there.  i'm looking forward to going this season to see the final additions of the HD screens....BTW Mrs Space sounds like a keeper.....can't beat the cape...after fenway:)) I was at the game july 25, 2004 when V-TEK smashed his glove into ARods face. Sox won the game and always felt it turned the sox season around; they went on a tear in august.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

yeah man.  hadnt been to the cape since the eighties either.  so fenway then the cape was the best vacation ever.  Spacegirl was in utero too, so i'm hoping that helps her in some cosmic, pre-cognisant way, from going to the dark side when she is faced with the choice to become a Skankee fan down here in NYC  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It was 2004, Yanks up 3 games to none in the ALCS. On the brink of being swept. Bottom of the 12th inning, game tied...when Big Papi steps up to the plate...get the picture...the rest is history...my own Fever Pitch...I'm getting chills typing this...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What was the most exciting time you've ever experienced in Fenway Park?:
    [QUOTE]It was 2004, Yanks up 3 games to none in the ALCS. On the brink of being swept. Bottom of the 12th inning, game tied...when Big Papi steps up to the plate...get the picture...the rest is history...my own Fever Pitch...I'm getting chills typing this...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

dang, you were there??  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the most exciting time you've ever experienced in Fenway Park? : yeah man.  hadnt been to the cape since the eighties either.  so fenway then the cape was the best vacation ever.  Spacegirl was in utero too, so i'm hoping that helps her in some cosmic, pre-cognisant way, from going to the dark side when she is faced with the choice to become a Skankee fan down here in NYC  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

a friend, huge sox fan,  expecting their second son any day. son #1 is three.  sent a baby gift and a red sox player jersey for son #1. they called and said he wouldnt take it off and slept with it on. they live in upstate New York.....its just a matter of bringing them up right Tongue outLaughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the most exciting time you've ever experienced in Fenway Park? :    a friend, huge sox fan,  expecting their second son any day. son #1 is three.  sent a baby gift and a red sox player jersey for son #1. they called and said he wouldnt take it off and slept with it on. they live in upstate New York.....its just a matter of bringing them up right
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

nice j bay.  represent.  you gotta show the children the way.  they are the future. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Spaceman, yes I was there!

However, back around 1978, I was with my Dad up on the roof top by 3rd base, when he ran after a foul ball. Problem was he jumped over the railing and blew out his knee. Had major surgery. He did get the ball though...he was laid up for 3 months, as there was no thing called arthroscopic surgery...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I was there the day that the home plate umpire called Yaz out on some very questionable pitches that were off the plate in Yaz's opinion. Yaz got down on a knee and covered over the plate with dirt using his hands. Obviously the ump tossed Yaz but he got a standing ovation for several minutes after that. They were playing the Yankees that day.

My most exciting time was the first visit there in 1957 and seeing my idol Ted Williams play. Went to college in Boston from 1962-65 but those teams were nothing to write home about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

I assume you meant baseball and not the winter night in 49 that Sally Mackowski and I sneaked into the park with a bottle of gin?????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I was at Fenway the night the Sox hit into 2 triple plays against the Twins, but still won 1-0.  So, I got to see history and the Sox win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sad to say that of the eight games I've witnessed at Fenway, none of them have been exciting. Well, except for one Foulke made exciting in '05. Other than that, blowouts.
    Had a good time though ... well, except when Wakefield got clobbered by Philly in the rain (in '04, I think).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

When the Red Sox Blasted 4 Home Runs in a row back in 2007.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I was at opening day in 05. I didn't see the opening ceremonies but we watched outside on Lansdowne on the screen as we waited for tickets to be turned in.( I still can't believe anyone would turn in tickets for that game.) Yes I got to sit in the Green Monster seats, somebody bought my ticket stub for 20.00 bucks. Wakefield pitched a gem and Mirabelli knocked one in the seats. And we kicked their butts. My second one is Sept. 1988. Myself and two friends came up for the weekend series with the Yanks. They went to the Friday night game I didn't arrive till late but that was a heck of a game. Remember Clemens lost the first game and the Yanks pulled within 3 games and it was all negative deja-vu after that. But we won the next 3 to go up 6 on the Yanks and 5 on the Tigers. The Sunday game was standing room and I never heard it so loud to this day. Claudell Washington lead off with a HR but it was all Sox after that. Burks hit at least one HR and Smithson pitched good. Jack Clark(then with the Yanks) made the last out on a Lee Smith fastball. That was the highest attendence for a 4 game series in Fenway history up to that point. Was anybody at the Friday night game when Mike Pags almost tied it off Lee and Evans caught it right at the bullpen wall? I was listening on WCBS and I thought it was gone. I pulled over on the CT. Turnpike and got out of my car and jumped for joy. My third was April 1969 the day  Ken Harrelson was traded. Gerry Moses hit a grand slam and a chant went out through the park later on... "Don't trade the Hawk. Don't trade the Hawk" I was waving my arms walking though the isles getting people to chant also. Sorry it's so long. When I get started I can't stop.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I have a memory of the Sox beating the Yankees on opening day.  Walt "No neck" Williams lost a ball in the wind, and Earl Wilson hit a homer while I was at the concession stand.  If it all happened that way then it was my most exciting time at Fenway because my memory is so vivid.  However, at my age, it would not surprise me to find out I have condensed two games into one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Unfortunately, I don't get to watch the sox there given my location. What's worse is in the few times I am able to visit, I brought bad luck to the sox when I watched at Fenway.

The most exciting one to me was the only one I have seen them win at home. A friend gave me, my son (pic of back of his head below) and wife front row tix between HP and visitors dugout. It was against KC, I believe it was back in 06 and Dice-K pitched a slugfest. Oh..and the KC catcher gave us a foul ball he caught off a RS bat. I don't remember whose...but I always say Papi's. We were just so happy to get a foul ball.

The cool thing is that we got another foul ball the last time (last year) we saw the RS here at Safeco. That one was off the bat of one of those OFs who had a really short stint with the sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

well i guess i did not figure out how to paste pics on this thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

[QUOTE]It was 2004, Yanks up 3 games to none in the ALCS. On the brink of being swept. Bottom of the 12th inning, game tied...when Big Papi steps up to the plate...get the picture...the rest is history...my own Fever Pitch...I'm getting chills typing this...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

I have an interesting story about this game as well...  At the time I was living at 100 memorial dr right on the charles river in cambridge, its a sick building if you know the one Im talking about.  Anyways I was a grad student at northeastern at the time and had to wake up real early (6:30 wakeup) to TA a chemistry class.  I had to go to bed before the game was over, which was still around like 1:00 AM.  Right as I laid down in bed I heard an incredible roar of cheering, IT WAS THE FANS FROM FENWAY!!!  I could here them all the way from fenway to 100 memorial dr.  IT was crazy, at which point I was sure the sox won the Game!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

[QUOTE]When the Red Sox Blasted 4 Home Runs in a row back in 2007.
    Posted by RawckinSox[/QUOTE]

I was at that game as well,  it was a cold night too!  I randomly sat 3 rows in front of some people that i went to high school with too it was great.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Spaceman, yes I was there! However, back around 1978, I was with my Dad up on the roof top by 3rd base, when he ran after a foul ball. Problem was he jumped over the railing and blew out his knee. Had major surgery. He did get the ball though...he was laid up for 3 months, as there was no thing called arthroscopic surgery...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Laid up for 3 months huh?  Don't tell Softleague.  He'd call your dad a union slug.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationCT. Show SoxNationCT's posts

I have had the pleasure over my many years of going to Sox games to have witnessed many spectacular things but these are just a few:

1.  Yanks/Sox brawl game
    2.  Four homerun in a row game vs Yanks
    3.  Lester no-hitter vs KC
    4.  Consecutive sellout setter vs TB
    5.  Mo Vaughn walkoff homerun on opening day vs Seattle I believe

I went to the game Monday night vs Baltimore in which the Sox came from behind and won after trailing 6-0.

I have been going to Fenway since the mid '70s and anytime there is a good time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

I'm impressed with the lucid memories of some of you dudes.  I've been to many games over the years, and hardly remember anything of much significance, but could talk of little details all day long.  One of Ted's HRs, with 2 speech impaired guys behind me, raising their arms and emptying their beers totally down my back.  Hoyt Wilhelm pitching to a gigantic glove that must have been  at least  2 ft diameter. Almost getting a Lary Doby HR ball. Seeing Mantle and Maris hitting HRs in the same game in their search for the HR record.  But, my most exciting time was my first time.  In 1952 at age 10, it was a weekday game against Detroit  ( most games were day games  back then)  I can still remember walking up the ramp and seeing the field for the first time.  So green, so beautiful.  My heart was pumping out of my chest.  The first player I spotted was Johnny Lipon. (I knew all players and numbers across both leagues back then)  He was emptying a huge chest of baseballs for pregame practice.  I was bug-eyed at all those baseballs (the greatest birthday gift I got as a boy was a new baseball)  I can't explain the thrill when I finally spotted Dommie and Billie Goodman.

Sections
Shortcuts