What will become of De La Rosa?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

What will become of De La Rosa?

De La Rosa, Holt and Snyder were all sent down.

Holt and Snyder are both those kind of guys thar are going to bounce up and down for their whole careers, so no surprsise there.

But what about De La Rosa? He was the centerpiece of the LA trade and was touted as being a potential top tier starter. Now it seems that at 25 years of age he will spend the vast majority of the year in the minors again.

Don't get me wrong, the Dodgers trade was fabulous, but I am starting to wonder about Rubby. I still see Webster as a guy that will be in the rotation, he will get some calls ups for spot starts this year and be in the rotation next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What will become of De La Rosa?

I actually still like de la Rosa better than Webster.

I'm glad they are keeping him in the starter role.

Like I said at the time of the trade, it was "perhaps one of the greatest Sox trades of my lifetime, even if we got no prospects in return."

Anything de la Rosa or Webster gives us is gravy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually still like de la Rosa better than Webster.

I'm glad they are keeping him in the starter role.

Like I said at the time of the trade, it was "perhaps one of the greatest Sox trades of my lifetime, even if we got no prospects in return."

[/QUOTE]

I think that was my point, everyone like De la Rosa better than Webster initially.  Is it me or is his star plummetting? I don't hear him talked about as a potential top tier guy anymore.

I agree on the trade. they could have traded those three and their contracts for anyone and I would have been happy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

It is pretty well anticipated that not all of the Sox top pitching prospects are all going to pan out as front line rotation pieces in Boston.

Rubby may be the first guy to fall out of the group as he just seems to either leave too many balls in the middle of the strike zone or too many balls out of the strike zone at this time.

We all hope that he can make a recovery, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

soxprospects.com...

Scouting ReportLacks height, but has a well filled-out frame. Strong lower half. Fastball sits 94-97 mph, with sharp downward movement and explosiveness. Can top out at 98-100 mph when he reaches back. Heater shows ability to miss bats. Fringe-average command.  Inconsistent delivery. Arm heavy and struggles with his balance and locking in his arm slot.  Will need to refine delivery to enhance command. 84-87 mph changeup grades as plus-to-better. Strong depth and deep fade. Shows separation and deception between fastball. Can miss bats or produce weak contact. Also throws a fringe-average low-to-mid 80s slider. Flashes plus at times, but inconsistent staying on top of pitch. Tends to wrap wrist. Potential to round into a swing-and-miss offering. Ceiling of a number three starter on first-division team. Becoming more consistent with slider and refining overall command are keys to reaching ceiling as a starter. Late-inning reliever projection without improvement. Had Tommy John Surgery in August 2011.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

He will be in his second full season following TJS and his innings won't be under the strict limits they were last year, so I'm hoping we'll start to get more of an idea of what we have here. In Pawtucket last year it seemed like he alternated stretches of being almost unhittable with stretches of being flat-out awful, with little in between.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They will stretch him out as a starter with no limitations this year. How he performs this year will determine his future as a starter or in the bullpen.

as with a few young Sox players, this is his year to step it up.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Although de la Rosa is technically not a prospect, I still view him as such, since he lost development time with the TJ surgery.

Here is a list of the Sox pitching prospects as ranked by soxprospects.com:

3 Owens

6 Barnes

7 Ranaudo

8 Webster

9 Workman

11 T Ball

12 Britton

15 Stankiewicz

18 Johnson

22 Callahan

23 Mercedes

24 Buttrey

26 L Diaz

27 Hinojosa

29 Wilson

30 Ramirez

31 Kukuk

32 Smith

36 Gomez

37 McGrath

40 Wright

42 Couch

43 price

44 Quevedo

45 Martin

46 Light

47 Gunkel

48 Pena

49 Celestino

52 Stroup

53 Haley

54 Aro

56 Romero

57 Almonte

58 Jimenez

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Are they still thinking sea dogs with Owens? 

I wouldnt mind seeing him pitch in Portland a couple times this year. He dominated in 6 starts at AA last year. I wonder if they are just going to bump him right to Pawtucket.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The trade with L.A. was an effective salary dump. De La Rosa and Webster were add ins. From day one, they have been overhyped by some on here. So far, their performance has not come anywhere near to matching the hype. Need to see some results before we start counting on these two guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true.

But man, gravy can be so tasty sometimes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If De La Rosa is pegged as a starter wouldn't the "demotion" be practical since he will pitch on a regular basis in AA or AAA rather than a part time starter or relief guy in Boston? I see the move as a way to grow strength in his arm and abilities as a full time starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to 37stories's comment:

I wouldnt mind seeing him pitch in Portland a couple times this year. He dominated in 6 starts at AA last year. I wonder if they are just going to bump him right to Pawtucket.

Pawtucket's rotation is going to have Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, De La Rosa, and possibly Workman if he's not in the major league bullpen. Maybe a AAAA type starter like Ely as well. Doesn't seem like there would be much need, or room, to rush Owens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pawtucket's rotation is going to have Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, De La Rosa, and possibly Workman if he's not in the major league bullpen. Maybe a AAAA type starter like Ely as well. Doesn't seem like there would be much need, or room, to rush Owens.

[/QUOTE]

That is probably the best AAA rotation the Red Sox have had in a long, long time.  The Red Sox are stacked with prospects at the SP position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right now, soxprospects.com has the farm pitching rosters like this:

Pawtucket

Starters: Workman, Ranaudo, Webster, de la Rosa, Britton, Barnes

Bullpen: Hinojosa, Layne, Villareal, Hill, Wilson, Watanabe, Cordero (Valdez/Resop)

Portland

Starters: Owens, Pena, Johnson, Augliera, Couch, Kehrt

Bullpen: Ramirez, Celestino, Kurcz, Hernandez, Balcom-Miller, Price, Olmstead (Ruiz, Reed, Boscan)

Salem

Starters: L Diaz, Haley, Littrel, Stroup, Gomez, Kukuk

Bullpen: Younginer, Martin, Ott, Quevedo, Cuevas, Kraus, D Diaz

Greenville

Starters: Callahan, T Ball, Stankiewicz, Buttrey, Light, Smith, Mercedes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Those rotations in Salem and especially Greenville should be fun to watch as well.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would Web and RDLR work out in a program with lower expectations in exchange for one of a teams top 3 prospect?  OR as part of a package for Stanton and Cishek?? or one of them along with WMB to the Astros for 3B Matt Dominguez and a prospect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Those rotations in Salem and especially Greenville should be fun to watch as well.

[/QUOTE]

I like Greenville's as well, and if you go with just 5 starters at each level and bump down some starters, it could look like this:

Pawtucket: Workman, Ranaudo, WebsterBritton, Barnes

Bullpen: Hinojosa, Layne, Villareal, Hill, Wilson, Watanabe, Cordero (Valdez/Resop)

Portland: Owens, de la Rosa, Pena, Johnson, Augliera

Salem: Couch, Kehrt, L Diaz, Haley, Littrel

Greenville: Stroup, Gomez, Kukuk, Callahan, T Ball, Stankiewicz

Lower levels: Buttrey, Light, Smith, Mercedes

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

All I know is everytime I see De La Rosa he serves more meatballs than an Italian Restaurant. He needs to work things out in Pawtucket, not over yet. Wait and see on this guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

my prediction - our 8th inning man.

Sections
Shortcuts