What will Ben's 25 man opening Day roster look like-2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: What will Ben's 25 man opening Day roster look like-2012?

In Response to Re: What will Ben's 25 man opening Day roster look like-2012?:
    [QUOTE]CF Jacoby Ellsbury LF Carl Crawford 2B Dustin Pedroia 1B Adrian Gonzalez 3B Kevin Youkilis RF Carlos Beltran DH Josh Willingham C Jarrod Saltalamacchia SS Marco Scutaro Josh Beckett Jon Lester Clay Buchholz CJ Wilson Alfredo Aceves Matt Albers Jonathan Broxton Bobby Jenks Franklin Morales Daniel Bard Heath Bell Jed Lowrie Mike Aviles Josh Reddick Ryan Lavarnway
    Posted by redsoxfan28[/QUOTE]

Roughly $180M payroll... too much additional spending on the team that once was the favorite to win the whole thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]it looks like ben will have his hands full this offseason without a doubt. I have been looking over suggestions put forth by other posters and have seen some good ideas. when it comes to right field, i think the guy that might be the most realistic option is carlos quentin. quentin is right handed, plays good d, and hits for power. in fenway he would have 30+ homer potential. He also would not cost a heck of a lot which is good because we need to save our chips to get a pitcher like gio gonzalez. so here goes my roster for 2012 elssbury pedroia gonzalez youk ortiz crawford quentin salty/lavarnway  scutaro bench: salty/lavarnway, lowrie, reddick/kalish (one of them would be in the deal for quentin), aviles. lester beckett gonzalez (gio) buchholz webb (good buy low option) pen: bell bard jenks aceves hill doubront broxton
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Your 25 men look almost same as mine except Webb and Brox.  I love to see both of them on the opening day roster however Webb wasn't able to throw a single pitch last season.  If he is willing to accept minor league deal first then sign him.  and I would rather spend some more and get Bell over Brox if Bard is out of the closer job race.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why these people kept bringing more injure proned pitchers?  If Webb is ever going to sign with Boston, he is more likely be the 6th starter/emergency starting pitcher/long relief.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommythetulip. Show tommythetulip's posts

I love the trade packages for Gio.  After you get that done, ship Varitek, Aviles, Wakefield and Dice K out to Seattle for King Felix.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]No, idiot, one year changes player trade value.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Funny how softy was claiming after Jacoby's 2010 "lost season", his value did not go down from 2009! 

Talk about "circle jerking".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My projection (not my wants):

SP1 Beckett
    SP2 Lester
    SP3 Buch
    SP4 Wandy
    SP5 Harden
    SP6LR Tazawa

Closer Bard
    RP2 Aceves
    RP3 Jenks
    RP4 Capps
    RP5 Doubront
    RP6 Morales 

C1 Salty
    DH/C2 Lava
    1B AGon
    2B Pedey
    3B/DH Youk
    SS Scutaro
    3B/SS/OF Aviles
    3B/2B/SS Lowrie (maybe a vet catcher instead for cheap: VTek?)
    LF Crawford
    CF Ellsbury
    RF Cody Ross
    OF Reddick (Maybe Kalish)

This keeps us close to the luxury cap. Those of you who are projecting $200M payroll budget rosters are all wet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

After all the time we've waited for a new manager--we thought a good number of FA would be gone, as it's turned out Broxton, Pap, DeJesus, Doumit and a few others. Hardly worth losing sleep over.
    The team is now in place to begin putting the Sox back together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]C: Jarrod Saltalamacchia 1B: Adrian Gonzalez 2B: Dustin Pedroia 3B: Kevin Youkilis/Mike Aviles SS: Marco Scutaro LF: Carl Crawford CF: Jacoby Ellsbury RF: Michael Cuddyer/Cody Ross (FA) DH: Ryan Lavarnaway/Kevin Youkilis/Cody Ross (Notice the rotating DH) IF: Mike Aviles OF: Ryan Kailish SP: Jon Lester SP: Clay Buccholz SP: Josh Beckett SP: Gio Gonzalez (for Reddick, Lowrie, and Lars Anderson) SP: Brandon Webb (FA) RP: Ryan Madson (FA) RP: Daniel Bard RP: Bobby Jenks RP: Alfredo Aceves RP: Mike Gonzalez (FA) RP: Franklin Morales  RP: Michael Bowden 60 day DL: Daisuke Matsuzaka John Lackey Rich Hill
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

My favorite, and I think most realistic so far.  I think Oakland would want more, but probably only a high ceiling pitcher from lower in the minors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

C Salty/Lavarnway
    1B AG
    2B Pedroia
    SS Scutaro/Aviles
    3B Youk/Aviles
    LF Crawford
    CF Ells
    RF Kalish/Cuddyer
    DH Lav/Youk/ guys that need a rest

SP Beckett
    SP Lester
    SP Oswalt
    SP Bucholtz
    SP Wandy
    SP Harden

RP Bard
    RP Aceves
    RP Jenks
    RP Tazawa
    RP Morales
    RP Wheeler
    RP Weiland

Gone are Papi (sad, but time) Wake, Tek, Lowrie, Reddick.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I am now minus another arm in the pen to go with Broxton--Bell to the Marlins.

I am still in hopes of landing Dan Haren from the Angels--if we get him he becomes our #1 and could make Beckett trade material for Wandy or others. If Texas loses CJ--Beckett could go to the Rangers for one of their starters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Let me revise mine

Jaocoby Ellsbury CF
    Carl Crawford LF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    Adrian Gonzalez 1B
    David Ortiz DH
    Alfonso Soriano RF
    Kevin Youkilis 3B
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia C
    Marco Scutaro SS

Bench: Ryan Lavarnway C, Jose Iglesias SS, Mike Aviles IF, Ryan Kalish OF

Jon Lester
    Josh Beckett
    Roy Oswalt
    Clay Bucholz
    Wandy Rodriguez

Alfredo Aceves
    Felix Doubront
    Bobby Jenks
    Franklin Morales
    Mike Gonzalez
    Joel Zumaya
    Daniel Bard

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

seanny--Soriano, as crazy as it sounds and as much as Cub fans want him out of town might be a legit answer for the OF especially if the Cubs pick up 3/4 of his salary. He still hits with power and can play other positions in a pinch.

How about comp. to get him out of Chicago---they pay all his salary!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Nice to see Tim Wastefield will not have to be looked at. Ben Cherington's comment "if any role at all" was a nice and appropriate insult to Wastefield and his pitiful agent. Perhaps that will rid the Red Sox of the Wastefield cancer, by making Timmy T-Ball beg some other GM for a contract.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In Response to What will Ben's 25 man opening Day roster look like-2012?:
    [QUOTE]It will be minus Terry, Pap, Tek, Wake, JD and possibly Papi and Youk. We will have a new manager and new coaches. We may have a new RF, DH, Closer, starting pitchers and a 3 b. This will be Ben's team and not Theo's. Probably new  Medical people, trainers, a nutritionist?? Time and people change--the Ballpark and fans are the constant. Bourjos, CC, Pedey, AGon, Youk, Beltran, Lavarnway, Aviles, Scutaro Starters--Haren, Lester, Rodriquez, Buch, Aceves Pen--Bard, Bell, Bowden, Morales, Jenks, Doubrount, Broxton Subs.--Lowrie, Salty, Reddick, Kubel 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

You really nailed that Heath Bell prediction.  LOL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]Let me revise mine Jaocoby Ellsbury CF Carl Crawford LF Dustin Pedroia 2B Adrian Gonzalez 1B David Ortiz DH Alfonso Soriano RF Kevin Youkilis 3B Jarrod Saltalamacchia C Marco Scutaro SS Bench: Ryan Lavarnway C, Jose Iglesias SS, Mike Aviles IF, Ryan Kalish OF Jon Lester Josh Beckett Roy Oswalt Clay Bucholz Wandy Rodriguez Alfredo Aceves Felix Doubront Bobby Jenks Franklin Morales Mike Gonzalez Joel Zumaya Daniel Bard
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen Soriano play the outfield.  He is horrible and that's playing LF.  RF in Fenway would eat him up.  He would give up two runs for every one he drove him.  Forget about it.  That is idiotic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Plus, who would be paying Soriano?  The Cubs?  The Sox?  No way the Sox are taking on his salary!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Not so concerned with RF.  At most we'd like a right-handed bat to compliment Kalish.  Trade Reddick while he has value and could start for a mid-market team.  Bullpen arms are erratic and unpredictable from year to year; hence the reason the Sox wouldn't give Paps a multi-year deal and wouldn't give Bell one either.  They can peice a bullpen together when you have Bard and Aceves to start with.  I think they like Morales as a lefty too.  Jenks may give them something and they offered Wheeler arbitration.  They NEED stating pitching depth.  Oswalt?  Gio? Wandy? Harden? Who do you guys like and who do you see being realistic?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, Wandy is most realistic. He will make $13M in 2012, and Houston is looking to cut salary and build for 2014 and beyond. The Sox have plenty of good prospects at the lowere levels... a perfect fit.

I wish we could give Jenks to the Cubs as compensation for Theo. The Wandy contract wouldn't hurt so much taht way. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Here is mine:

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
    LF Carl Crawford
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    1B Adrian Gonzalez
    3B Kevin Youkilis
    DH David Ortiz/Kevin Youkilis
    RF Michael Cuddyer
    C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    SS Marco Scutaro

1. Josh Beckett
    2. Jon Lester
    3. Clay Buchholz
    4. Joe Saunders
    5. John Danks

Starting Pitching Depth:
    Brandon Webb (60 Day DL/AAA?)
    Daisuke Matsuzaka (60 Day DL)
    Junichi Tazawa (AA/AAA)
    Alfredo Aceves (Bullpen)
    Andrew Miller (AAA)
    Bartolo Colon (AAA)

LRP Alfredo Aceves
    MRP Dan Wheeler
    MRP Franklin Morales
    MRP Matt Thorton
    SU Bobby Jenks
    SU Daniel Bard
    CP Ryan Madison

SS/3rd: Jed Lowrie
    UT: Mike Aviles
    4th OF: Ryan Kalish
    C: Jason Varitek

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

I agree Moonslav (and by the way, thanks for keeping it positive and baseball related on here).  Wandy is a talented pitcher on a bad team that needs young prospects.  Although he tends to struggle a bit early in the season, he really comes on strong down the stretch, and his numbers are quite good over the last 2-3 years.  The other pitcher will probably be more of a low risk guy coming off injury, and i'd much rather see Harden, who is AL proven and can still miss bats when healthy, over Webb who hasn't really pitched in two years.  I think they'd have to overpay for Oswalt, but they may be willing to do so with his track record.