What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?

In Response to What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?:
    Two third place finishes does not, from las vegas, seem to have hurt upcoming attendance. Would a fourth place finish or a few lack luster months like last september deminish your interest in paying 100s of bucks for tickets and beer? I am not trying to sound negative but as someone who has no chance of going to the place I used to love it makes no difference if I say "I am not going anymore as the product is not worth the price". But many of you are spending the money. Is there anything that would alter your love affair with the sox? Again, not trying to be negative, but ownership must weight how decisions it makes on spending will affect the fan base both at fenway and TV revenues which has become perhaps the biggest revenue. Most people(s) have a breaking point.
    Posted by teddybaseball009

I've been a fan since '67. It may not take much for the newer, more spoiled fans to turn on the Sox, but it'll take a LOT more than a couple of so-so seasons to get me to stop going to Fenway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?:
    In Response to What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : The only bad thing about the last decade of being a Red Sox fan are fans like you. I grew up in Upstate NY and every summer my father and I would drive to Boston. We would stay at the Howard Johnson's in Kenmore Square and stay for a week and usually catch 6 games. We went when they were terrible and went when they were decent. We didn't wait to see if we would take our vacation based on the standings.
    Posted by thepeskypole6

Amen to that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I've been a Sox fan since 1955 and went to Fenway for the first time in 1959. I have since moved out of state, but try to get to 2 to 4 games per year. I am willing to pay the high price for tickets because there is no better place to watch a game than Fenway (at least that I know of). The streak will not end this year because of the 100 year anniversary of Fenway. I will go just to be a part of history. I went when the team was terrible and watched the likes of Don Buddin, Ike Delock, Dick Stuart, Bob Tillman, Caroll Hardy, and the rest of the forgotten players. I guess I can pony up and pay for the much better group of today, especially in a 100 year old ediface.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Being in the city of Boston doesn't hurt.  Now that I don't work and travel to Boston I make a couple of personal trips a year to the city and try to get tickets to the games.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Losing will stop the streak. After a while, the novelty wore off in Baltimore after they got Camden Yards..then it became about winning. It's the same in Fenway. The fact is that the team has been highly competitive for a very long stretch of consecutive seasons. 2 WS titles will do that. The streak will end and it will end when the team is faltering at some point and out of the race. Not saying this year, just there will be a point or year when this will happen, and it will be bye-bye. Attendance is about winning. Even some teams who have won can't draw. But all losing teams eventually influence fans to not come to games. Pink-Hat Nation can only go so far, there's still about 5 to 10 thousand fans who would stop coming if the team was out of the playoff race.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Nope.  Fenway was my favorite place on earth when the team was perennial ho-hums.  So, doesn't really matter to me.  The ticket prices, of course, are outrageous, so economics alone dictate that I don't make the trip very often anymore.  But, I go any chance I get.  To me, its bigger than just being a diehard Sox fan and Fenway lover because the team is putting out a winning product.  Its just what i do and my papa did before me.   And 2 3rd place finishes certainly makes no dent in that love.  Please.  They were competitive both of those years.  Which is more I can say for many many a year past.   Many newjack fans, and some old timers obviously entranced by the notion of a dynasty, do not appreciate just how good we have it. But, no matter what, win or lose, Fenway still is a little slice of heaven.  In fact, in the face of pressure to blow the place up for big dollars, this ownership group has managed to actually improve on the place.  I dig that.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Great post. I couldn't have said it any better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : AND THE RED SOX KNOW THAT..... THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TRYING TO GET THEIR ARMS AROUND THE PAYROLL WHILE ALSO TRYING TO REBUILD THE TEAM THE OLD FASHIONED WAY, ON THE CHEAP WITH TRADES AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

When you're spending $170M to $180M on payroll and will be second in terms of payroll, it's hardly going  "ON THE CHEAP." 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Great post. I couldn't have said it any better.
    Posted by royf19

I agree with both of you in terms of the sentimental value and the nuances of FP itself. When I was last there in 2004, it was a treat to go 2 straight days. But at the same time, it's hard to even get 33 thousand at some point if the team isn't somewhat successful. It makes a difference, it's not just about the Park. It will never go back to the 10 or 11 thousand fan days, but I can see 25 thousand show up one night if the team was .500 or less and it was a September game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Actually, they refuse to increase the season tockets.  They could guarantee a sellout by selling another 5,000 season tickets.
    Posted by Joebreidey

You are right.  I know several friends that are on their season ticket waiting list.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I will always follow the sox. My trips to Fenway have decreased because of some bad moves. If Ortiz once again has multiple 2 for 20 slumps, my Fenway visits will become even less.
    Posted by jackbu

Says it all if 2 for 20 slumps kill your baseball buzz.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I will always follow the sox. My trips to Fenway have decreased because of some bad moves. If Ortiz once again has multiple 2 for 20 slumps, my Fenway visits will become even less.
    Posted by jackbu

Really? You decide whether or not to go to a game based on a batting slump of ONE player?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

JacBU's forum identity is to bash Ortiz. Don't take him seriously. It is like Groucho being identified by the cigar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

JacBU's forum identity is to bash Ortiz. Don't take him seriously. It is like Groucho being identified by the cigar.
    Posted by UticaClub

Thanks, but I'm a big boy. I can decide whom to take seriously, on my own.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I have been reading JackB's posts for over two years now and you are new here (68 posts). Maybe you are super perceptive and already know that jackBU loves to stir the Papi Soup and brings attention to himself in doing so. I guess that you also are aware of the other BDC trolls also through your ESP, perception, and intuition. Glad to have someone like you aboard since most posters still fall for these trolls day after day. Welcome aboard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I have been reading JackB's posts for over two years now and you are new here (68 posts). Maybe you are super perceptive and already know that jackBU loves to stir the Papi Soup and brings attention to himself in doing so. I guess that you also are aware of the other BDC trolls also through your ESP, perception, and intuition. Glad to have someone like you aboard since most posters still fall for these trolls day after day. Welcome aboard.
    Posted by UticaClub

And how long did I read this board, before deciding to join?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Thanks, but I'm a big boy. I can decide whom to take seriously, on my own.
    Posted by ThefourBs

Utica actually has some fantastic baseball thoughts to share.  Its a shame he gets so bogged down in calling out trolls and internet policing.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from midnight. Show midnight's posts

You know it is funny, I have been to like 6 or 7 games in the last 10 years at Fenway.  I enjoyed every game, and they lost every one.  I tell my wife we can't go because they always lose and so we must be bad luck ;-).  We catch about 2 or 3 games in Pawtucket each year though because it is cheaper, easier to get to and easier to get out of.  

And for the person who complained about the prices on the secondary market, you should understand those tickets are already SOLD.  The secondary market is reselling tickets, so they already count as sold.  What will likely happen is the volume of tickets in the secondary markets will decrease as they don't see enough volume for them and this will increase the volume of available tickets at face value.  This will be a good thing.  But I don't see the sell out streak ending in the near future given how rabid the secondary market is to scoop up tickets for resale. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So I guess having your team come in 3rd twice means you or anyone should not attend games?
    If that is the case then 20 teams should be having no one show up. Since 20 teams finish 3rd or worse.

What you are missing is that every fan wishes their team to win it all. However most fans know that having that happen is not easy. These fans go because they like their team, players or the game and maybe the other team.
    RS fans (newbies?) seem to have this issue that if they don't win it all they are not worthy of the fans attending. I guess that is what you get with the current environment of entitlement in this country.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

If you're asking that question or won't go because they didn't spend 200,000+ million again this year then you are obviously a bandwagon fan!  I was a Sox fan for 25 years before the 2004 season and have loved every minute of it, if they never win another World Series I would still go every chance I got!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

There was no way they sold out that moved up game last year versus the A's due to Hurricane Irene.  There was like 500 people in the stands (exaggeration).   They will fudge the attendance or buy left over tickets themselves to keep the "streak" alive.  Saying they have a streak makes tickets more desirable as it gives off the impression of being "hard to get".   Generally speaking, people covet things that are "hard to get" because it is a challenge.   Ok, this post is starting to bring up memories of failed attempts to score the hot high school chick so I will stop writing.   

Sections
Shortcuts