What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?:
    [QUOTE]There was no way they sold out that moved up game last year versus the A's due to Hurricane Irene.  There was like 500 people in the stands (exaggeration).   They will fudge the attendance or buy left over tickets themselves to keep the "streak" alive.  Saying they have a streak makes tickets more desirable as it gives off the impression of being "hard to get".   Generally speaking, people covet things that are "hard to get" because it is a challenge.   Ok, this post is starting to bring up memories of failed attempts to score the hot high school chick so I will stop writing.   
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]

Tickets for that game were already sold for what was to be the actual day of the game.
    How many fannies that are there are not indicative of what tickets were sold.
    If there is a blizzard (Friday and Sat) for the SB on Sunday the place maybe half empty because people could not fly in for the game. It actually almost happened when the SB was held in Detroit one year.

IMHO it is flirting with disaster to have the SB in an open stadium anywhere as well as a dome in areas prone to ice and snow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]There was no way they sold out that moved up game last year versus the A's due to Hurricane Irene.  There was like 500 people in the stands (exaggeration).   They will fudge the attendance or buy left over tickets themselves to keep the "streak" alive.  Saying they have a streak makes tickets more desirable as it gives off the impression of being "hard to get".   Generally speaking, people covet things that are "hard to get" because it is a challenge.   Ok, this post is starting to bring up memories of failed attempts to score the hot high school chick so I will stop writing.   
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]

I really think that you should think things through logically before presenting your anti-authority agenda.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : The only bad thing about the last decade of being a Red Sox fan are fans like you. I grew up in Upstate NY and every summer my father and I would drive to Boston. We would stay at the Howard Johnson's in Kenmore Square and stay for a week and usually catch 6 games. We went when they were terrible and went when they were decent. We didn't wait to see if we would take our vacation based on the standings.
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're bringing me to tears.

We didn't have much money growing up, so I don't how my mom did it, but she would up taking us to a game at Shea with seats right behind home plate.  Only 40+ years later, and my brother and I still talk about it.

And my friend telling me what a great man my dad was.  He had never told me, but my dad apparently had a Phillies year book sent to my friend when he was growing up, and likewise didn't have a lot of money either.

Little did we know we were supposed to look at the records before going to Shea or opening the year book.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : You are right.  I know several friends that are on their season ticket waiting list.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Yup, there are 7,500 people waiting in line to buy season tickets.  And I doubt anyone is giving up their tickets either.  I love NYC, so I'd never live in Boston, but can you imagine sharing season tickets with three other people, and going once a week?  That'd be noice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : The only bad thing about the last decade of being a Red Sox fan are fans like you. I grew up in Upstate NY and every summer my father and I would drive to Boston. We would stay at the Howard Johnson's in Kenmore Square and stay for a week and usually catch 6 games. We went when they were terrible and went when they were decent. We didn't wait to see if we would take our vacation based on the standings.
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Pesky,

I honor your family's stand! Great way to be.

We drove down from southen NH.  Only about 55-60 miles.  We came when ever Dad had a night free.  Good times, bad times .. no mattah!

Enjoying this last decade has been like   living in a walking dream.  Super times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : And how long did I read this board, before deciding to join?
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

BBBB ...zzzing!

:o)

Not picking on  Utica, but that was funny.

AND made a point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This thread reminds me of the BS surrounding the Rays not going to games.The Trop is right off the highway
    Fenway if you drive into Boston is a pain in the azz to get to

Parking at the Trop is 20 and 10 or free I believe if there are 3 or more in the car.
    Handicaped parking is right next to the Trop and if full you drop them off at the door and park in another reserved lot.
    Parking around Fenway is limited and so much more expensive and if you are handicapped!!!!!

People will travel 50 to 100+ to go to a game at Fenway
    People in TPA/STP won't go 30 miles

They say the Trop is in a "BAD" location = BS---- iN 10 YEARS HERE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ONE INCIDENT CONCERNING INCIDENTS BEFORE OR AFTER A GAME CONCERNING FANS BEING ACCOSTED BY CRIMINALS/ROBBERY/ETC... I MAYBE WRONG.
    If you walk to Fenway from like the Pru it is no different than walking around the TROP. 

The whole thing is are you a fan or not? Has nothing to do with the standings. Yes if they were in last place for a few years I could see attendance going down but not just because they are in 3rd now....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I live in Portland Me, i take the train into Boston to catch at least 10 games a year,
     RedSox are all of New England, just like the Pats, one quick note last year i was in Orange County Ca, when the Sox were in town went to the Friday night game Lester was pitching, the big A was half full of RedSox fans, were Americas team....Smile

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

'FANS' have not baught all the tickets to games the past 2 years.

Half empty Fenways made that painfully obvious during the early part of 2010.

And yet, miraculously, the sellout streak continued.

Thank Ace Ticket!

When people complain about scaloing, Ace Ticket better be at the TOP of the list. Any effor tthe Sox disingenuously make to halt scalping is only to buoy Ace Ticket's sales. Ace Ticket keeps the most disingenuous streak in sports alive; the Red Sox home sellout streak.

It means about as much as Joe Paterno having the most college football wins ever.

I HATE this ownership group. Blood sucking, money loving, greedy, out-of-touch bums that I wish would sell the team, make a tidy profit, and GO AWAY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]This thread reminds me of the BS surrounding the Rays not going to games.The Trop is right off the highway Fenway if you drive into Boston is a pain in the azz to get to Parking at the Trop is 20 and 10 or free I believe if there are 3 or more in the car. Handicaped parking is right next to the Trop and if full you drop them off at the door and park in another reserved lot. Parking around Fenway is limited and so much more expensive and if you are handicapped!!!!! People will travel 50 to 100+ to go to a game at Fenway People in TPA/STP won't go 30 miles They say the Trop is in a "BAD" location = BS---- iN 10 YEARS HERE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ONE INCIDENT CONCERNING INCIDENTS BEFORE OR AFTER A GAME CONCERNING FANS BEING ACCOSTED BY CRIMINALS/ROBBERY/ETC... I MAYBE WRONG. If you walk to Fenway from like the Pru it is no different than walking around the TROP.  The whole thing is are you a fan or not? Has nothing to do with the standings. Yes if they were in last place for a few years I could see attendance going down but not just because they are in 3rd now....
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

From wha I understand about The Trop, here's the issues I've come away with:

-Called 'Tampa' though they are actually in St. Petersberg, which has a much more elderly population, and isn't a place where baseball is sought after.

-The stadium, itself, seems to be a total dump. Just a no frills, basic dome with too low catwalks, and nothing interesting about it at all, about the perfect antithesis to Fenway.

-From what I understand, I don't live in FL, it's a solid 60-90 mins from the closest population center that actually cares about baseball.

-FInally, the Rays are only recently good, in an area that doesn't care much about baseball. It will take many seasons of winning records, and a few trophies to show for it before people really start to show up. Kind of like hockey down there, when good, the Florida Panthers had OK attendance, any dip from elite, and their fans disappeared. Old people go to Florida, old people don't go to sporting events.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I HATE this ownership group. Blood sucking, money loving, greedy, out-of-touch bums that I wish would sell the team, make a tidy profit, and GO AWAY.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

And the next group, who would be so rich that they would have a billion dollars to spend on a baseball team, would not be money loving.  HAHAHAHAHA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : And the next group, who would be so rich that they would have a billion dollars to spend on a baseball team, would not be money loving.  HAHAHAHAHA
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Yup, and I'd hate them too.

I despise anyone who puts such an emphasis on milking every last penny out of ANYthing. It's disgusting.

And you keep supporting uber-rich billionaires when they cry about luxury taxes that they've put themselves into!?!?!?!

HA......no, that's not laugh worthy. It's sad. Yuck it up all you want.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Every team that is approaching the luxury tax ceiling is acting the same way. How disgusting. Is their a conspiracy against entitled fans. How terrible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

This is a 500 club that will be fortunate not to be in the cellar. Might as well bring back Wakefield as they're going nowhere. Fans will be gone by Aug.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Yup, and I'd hate them too. I despise anyone who puts such an emphasis on milking every last penny out of ANYthing. It's disgusting. And you keep supporting uber-rich billionaires Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Pathetic envy for the rich is not becoming. Its sad.

Do we get a "1%" speech next?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Yup, and I'd hate them too. I despise anyone who puts such an emphasis on milking every last penny out of ANYthing. It's disgusting. And you keep supporting uber-rich billionaires when they cry about luxury taxes that they've put themselves into!?!?!?! HA......no, that's not laugh worthy. It's sad. Yuck it up all you want.

Much better to have the 86 years of not winning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Yup, and I'd hate them too. I despise anyone who puts such an emphasis on milking every last penny out of ANYthing. It's disgusting. And you keep supporting uber-rich billionaires when they cry about luxury taxes that they've put themselves into!?!?!?! HA......no, that's not laugh worthy. It's sad. Yuck it up all you want.

Sorry dragon but it's just a grim reality that major league sports are mega-industries provided by by capitalist pigs.  You could always get interested in minor league or amateur baseball-there's plenty of that out there to watch.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : Sorry dragon but it's just a grim reality that major league sports are mega-industries provided by by capitalist pigs.  You could always get interested in minor league or amateur baseball-there's plenty of that out there to watch.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

^ Here's a well-thought response.

You are correct. It's gone past the breaking point that I can really no longer enjoy the Sox. They spend so much money, that anything less than 95 wins and a WS appearance is a disappointment. Quite a change.

You know, for all the talk about 86 years of losing...what did that do? It created the most passionate, knowledgable, loyal fan-base in ALL of baseball. I know, that's just terrible. WHY would ANYONE want to go back to those dark, dark days?

What has 2 WS wins brought? Some elation, legions of bandwagon fans, entitlement, and unrealistic expectations. I could definitely argue either side of that, I don't blindly say the past 7-8 years have been so great because they have a few trophies.

It may just be the way things are, but that doesn't mean so many people should just bury their heads in the sand and blindly accept it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Every team that is approaching the luxury tax ceiling is acting the same way. How disgusting. Is their a conspiracy against entitled fans. How terrible.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

You probably thought this was clever. But if you bothered to dig a little deeper, you'd realize how far off base your criticism is. I'm not entitled at all, I don't want the Sox to spend more...in fact, I'd like the see the payroll, in general, about $60mil less annually. The insane spending is ruining the fandom in sports.

I don't remember wondering what Boggs or Clemens was making in the 80s, or if arbitration was going to be a problem. Or looking at Jim Rice, and feeling like he doesn't deserve his bloated contract. Money and greed, from owners, to players, even to some fans, is absolutely killing baseball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : When you're spending $170M to $180M on payroll and will be second in terms of payroll, it's hardly going  "ON THE CHEAP." 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]GOOD SOUND BITE ROY19......  THE DIFFERENCE BEING THAT THE SOX (WITHOUT THEO) ARE NO LONGER EVEN THINKING ABOUT SPENDING "STUPID $$$$$" ON LONG TERM PLAYERS THAT ARE IN THE "TWILIGHT" OF THEIR GAME.......  AND YOU KNEW, THAT IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT, SON !!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The big selling point of 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of Ye Olde Ballpark with fans clamoring for tee-shirts and the "experience" of being there while turning a blind eye to where the Sox are in the standings.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You know, for all the talk about 86 years of losing...what did that do? It created the most passionate, knowledgable, loyal fan-base in ALL of baseball. I know, that's just terrible. WHY would ANYONE want to go back to those dark, dark days?

In 1966, the RS were 8th out of 10 in attendance.  They drew a whopping total of 811,172.  We outdrew the Senators and the Athletics.  Both teams promptly abandoned their cities.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]You know, for all the talk about 86 years of losing...what did that do? It created the most passionate, knowledgable, loyal fan-base in ALL of baseball. I know, that's just terrible. WHY would ANYONE want to go back to those dark, dark days? In 1966, the RS were 8th out of 10 in attendance.  They drew a whopping total of 811,172.  We outdrew the Senators and the Athletics.  Both teams promptly abandoned their cities.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

That was 45 years ago.

Little about baseball from 45 years ago is relevant at all now. You can't compare stats side-by-side for hitters or pitchers. You can't compare salaries. You really can't compare attendance numbers.

By the 80s/90s and into the 2000s, the Sox, though a perennial bridesmaid, became arguably the most popular team in the sport.

Should I be proud that in two straight seasons of under 90 wins, they sell out every game? That's not fan loyalty, that's fan ignorance and stupidity.

Last series of the season, the Sox are about to get bounced from the playoffs, they are blowing a lead late....and 30k+ fans belt out "Sweet Caroline" in the midst of this historic collapse. That's a stadium full of clueless pink hatters, not fans.

I don't need a $75 dollar fenway book, I have a piece of the Monster facing that was replaced in 1978 coutesy of the Jimmy Fund. I have pictures, stories, memories and newspaper clipping spanning 3 generations and 90+ years.

Henry and Co. are milking everything they can. They had these plans laid out before their bid to buy the team was even accepted. Watch now, as season by season, the salaries go down, down, down....it shouldn't be a surprise. This is the same group that splintered the Marlins IMMEDIATELY after winning a ring. I guess I should be thankful they have other avenues to bilk money before taking the red eye out of here some night, because this is not going to be a good team when they bolt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

In 1999 John Henry became the sole owner of the distressed and dismantled Florida Marlins, buying them from Wayne Huizenga for $158 million the year after the club had gone from a World Series title to 108 losses.

Get your facts straight

Sections
Shortcuts